Leafs send Versteeg to Philly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly

Philly can get by with what they have in net b/c they have the best 6 dmen in the league as a tandem.  Philly is gonna be hard to beat.  Battled tested, scorers, Pronger and Richards. 

They are good

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly:
    [QUOTE]Bruins 1st round pick will be better than Philly's and Nashville's in the Fisher trade. Bruins could have used either of those 2 players. And I thought Philly is in worse cap shape than Boston. What is PC waiting for????
    Posted by 49thparallel[/QUOTE]

I'd have been pissed if Boston traded for Fisher... there wouldn't have been nearly an upgrade enough to warrant throwing away a first rounder there.   Versteeg on the other hand I would have been fine with.  Not overjoyed, as he wouldn't put a team over the top, but he does add an upgrade on depth.  

There is still lots of time and there are going to be lots of trades that no one sees coming!   Stay patient young grasshopper.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly:[QUOTE]I guess the rebuild has started in Toronto.... good pickup for Phily.. but how do they squeeze 3 mil into their over spent  cap room?  this year and beyond.. something else must be up.. expect another move by Phily I am guessing..Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

That's what I'm screaming Cowboys I thought they were worse than the Bruins and the Hawks up against the cap no salary went the other way too boot. I'd say you might see someone sent through waivers in Philly.

Burke has a first rounder now and the Flyers just got much better fa sho.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

This makes the decision to trade Toronto's pick alot harder.  Damn you Burkie!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Leafs send Versteeg to Philly : You're right.There's no way the Leafs improved from this move.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Toronto certainly isn't  getting a benefit from this trade this year.

Given that the Flyers picks will be late first round, I'd be surprised if they can get someone as good as Versteeg - a 20 goal scorer - for sure in the late first round.

Good deal for the Flyers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I would not have been happy if  Boston had done this trade.  A first is too much for Versteeg and he would have been a cap burden in the future.  Also he's not better than Horton, Rechi or Ryder, so I don't know where he would fit.  The only place we can upgrade is our third line Left or Center, and despite how he frustrates people, Wheeler is a pretty good hockey player.  If we do anything I want it to be for a rental that can have an impact.  Versteeg would have a hard time cracking the current B's line-up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think this is the kind of move that makes Holmgren a fantastic GM! I'm extremely jealous! This is the kind of subtle move that makes pretenders, contenders! The Flyers missed the play-offs what was it...3 or 4 seasons ago? Every year they've made, or AT LEAST put a great effort to improve each year since.

Holmgren doesn't have a lot of patience & I like his aggresiveness! He's not afraid of moving a Forsberg to get picks & it's paid off! This is where I think the Jacobs mindset is still in this oraganization. "We want to build within the draft!" Build what? A team that's always on the cusp, but not quite there? A team that teases it's fan base, but doesn't go out & do EVERYTHING it can to try & win!!!!

I hate PHILLY, but I applaude their efforts in actually always trying to get better! They take chances & risk!
    What the frig is PC waiting for! Patience maybe a virtue, but sometimes patience causes one to miss grand opportunities as they pass by! 

I'm not saying PC should've went out & gave Burke a 1st rounder for a Kris Versteeg. Kris can help the Flyers a lot more than the Bruins. The B's need a LOT MORE than a Versteeg type player. What I am saying is that PC has cards in his hand & I think HE MAYBE the one that's asking for too much. So far all I see in PC's resume is that he's a signing GM, but he's not a TRADING GM! Sinden was the opposite.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The flyers are good not because they are patient or impatient, but because they hit the draft jackpot a few years ago with two picks that landed them Richards and Carter.  Since then it would take Mike Milbury to screw that team up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

What a great GM Holmgren is. He realizes that just because his team is in first place doesn't mean they don't have flaws and are invincible. He goes and improves an area that was a slight concern, secondary scoring. Take note Chiarelli.

Can't believe that after Philly made this move, some Bruins fans are still content with doing nothing and going to the playoffs with the current roster. (I'm looking at you PB37)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Carter hasn't been a play-off performer! It's not that simple so don't give me that!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

How does Philly add Versteeg when they were pressed up against the salary cap at the beginning of the year!??!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Philly wins this trade. Burke as a GM just went down a couple of notches in my book.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

Toronto traded two seventh round picks for Stalberg.  They traded Stalberg for Versteeg.  They traded Versteeg for a first and a third round pick.

Seems like high quality to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I think Versteeg is overrated too.  He's a decent complimentary part, which I guess is all Philly needs.  Not worth a 1st round pick though. Best case scenario: Toronto continues to unload and tanks for the rest of the season, giving the Bruins a top 3 pick.  And Philly fails to win a Cup on account of bad goaltending (again) and gets nothing useful in the draft.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

In theory, everything's worth is determined by what someone will pay for it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tman0325. Show tman0325's posts

A 1st and a 3rd for a 35 point guy, no thanks.  The -13 certainly did not look attractive to PC

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly :              http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24 That's what I'm screaming Cowboys I thought they were worse than the Bruins and the Hawks up against the cap no salary went the other way too boot. I'd say you might see someone sent through waivers in Philly. Burke has a first rounder now and the Flyers just got much better fa sho.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I think VanD's (not going to spell his name) cap hit is off the books for now. Is he hurt ? down in the AHL?  Next to go.
    He was rumored to go to TO in this trade. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly : Toronto traded two seventh round picks for Stalberg.  They traded Stalberg for Versteeg.  They traded Versteeg for a first and a third round pick. Seems like high quality to me.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

But I bet it wasn't Burke that acquired Stalberg for two 7th round picks...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

The problem with Versteeg is he's good 2nd/3rd liner on any team but the Leafs where he was a top liner. Even that Wheeler-Hamill-Ryder line would push for top line minutes in TO.

Toronto lose a good player and replace him with nothing. Top 5 pick here we come....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly : Toronto traded two seventh round picks for Stalberg.  They traded Stalberg for Versteeg.  They traded Versteeg for a first and a third round pick. Seems like high quality to me.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Good Trade for the Flyers and Leafs, good and bad for the Bruins.

Versteeg is a player that makes a significant contribution when surrounded with better players.  He will make an impact in the playoffs.  For the most part he looked out of place in Toronto, trying to do too much on a young team without any strong centers.  He looked a lot like Jason Blake most nights.  He's a good player, but needs good players to play with.

Toronto got a lot more then I thought they could get for Versteeg.  They get a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder plus cap space.  It will come down to scouting, which is one thing burke has done a great job assembling in Toronto (time will tell).  Leafs are now worse today then yesterday.

Bruins gain by the fact that the Leafs are now even less talented up front and should help reinforce their pick this year; however I think it hurts them if Philly and Bruins meet in the playoffs where I think Versteeg is a good fit.
    Versteeg would have been a good fit on the Bruins; would Boston have traded Wheeler for Versteeg?  I think the Leafs make that trade but I'm not sure the Bruins would.

Looking for the Bruins to win 4-0 tonight......sigh

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]A 1st and a 3rd for a 35 point guy, no thanks.  The -13 certainly did not look attractive to PC
    Posted by tman0325[/QUOTE]

-13 doesn't mean anything if you play for the leafs. if i remember correctly, wideman was +32 in '09.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]Versteeg us exactly the type of guy who helps teams win.  he battles and plays all roles.  He is a 3rd liner on the Flyers.  He is a pest and he can dangle. Very nice pickup by Philly.  Their 1st rounder is a late pick.  I have been saying this for a while.  After the 1st 5-10 the draft is very watered down.  Our 1st rounder should be in play. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Always like your analysis Shup.   Boston's 1st should definitely be in play (and would have landed Versteeg).  Boston's pick from Toronto just became more valuable and you should hold on to that one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I just don't see Boston passing Philly.  Either Chiarelli has a homerun deal in the works, or he's going to make another colossal mistake in the process of trying to build a Cup contender.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly : -13 doesn't mean anything if you play for the leafs. if i remember correctly, wideman was +32 in '09.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

Wideman's +/- was +32 against Toronto in 2009? Wow.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Philly has the 30th or 29th pick in a supposedly weak draft if the season ended today. It's essentially a glorified 2nd rounder at best. They got a guy who won the cup last year and was an important complimentary piece... which is what they're looking for him to be again. Good trade for Philly.
    I have to think Burke asked him, and Versteeg said he wasn't going to resign in TO, otherwise, he would have kept him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Versteeg is under contract next year, too.  I almost wonder if Burke got Versteeg in the first place with the idea that he could trade him for a first rounder (even a late one is more than he gave up for Versteeg) this season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They don't have to pass Philly - they might not even need to beat them.  If the standings don't change, the only way the Bruins play the Flyers is if they both make the conference finals.  With the Flyers goal manned by a one-year-wonder and the ever-inconsistant Brian Boucher, I'd take a seven-gamer against them to see who's better.  Philly looks better on paper, but on the ice the Bruins have beaten them in a horserace - 7-5 - and a slugfest - 3-0.  The one game they lost was in OT.

Versteeg is a decent secondary scorer and an expensive third-liner on Philly.  I don't know how much of an upgrade he is over the decent and less-expensive third-liners they already have.  Not Briere, Giroux, Hartnell, or Leino.  Maybe Zherdev, maybe van Riemsdyk, but both those guys have more talent. 

Holmgren is a GM who makes moves to make moves. If I were a Flyers fan (cold chill...) I would have no faith that he has a plan because he seems to make his moves in a vaccuum.  Is Versteeg a good player?  Yes!  Let's get him!  Wait...now we need to clear cap room.  And we still need a goalie.  Keep in mind here that they made this deal because his signing of Zherdev isn't working.  Sometimes that strategy works and you get cast-offs like Carle and Mezaros who re-establish their games.  In the end, though, they've made one good run and that partly made possible by other teams eliminating key rivals along with a calamitious injury and then collapse by the Bruins.

BBR - another collossal mistake, like when he...?  What are you referring to?

Sections
Shortcuts