Leafs send Versteeg to Philly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly

I am referring to his overpaying for Ference, Ryder and expecting Horton to be a 30 goal scorer here.

You could argue paying Thomas and not maximizing an asset like a Rask by either making him the starter or trading him.

These are small little examples that have an effect that we see now.  It all counts. It all matters in a cap league.

Maybe we are on a different level of thought here, but this team is not winning a Cup in its current state.

I'd be happy to place a wager with you on that, if you'd like.

Why do some fans act like Chiarelli can't be challenged or has some sort of resume of success elsewhere?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Toronto is not done trading yet, but it is easy to see they are gearing up for the future by restocking their draft.  Burke is quick to say the Leafs are not conceding the final playoff spot but it is hard to see them making any sort of push.  B's should end up with a top 5 pick and no worse than 8.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly:
    [QUOTE]I am referring to his overpaying for Ference, Ryder and expecting Horton to be a 30 goal scorer here. You could argue paying Thomas and not maximizing an asset like a Rask by either making him the starter or trading him. These are small little examples that have an effect that we see now.  It all counts. It all matters in a cap league. Maybe we are on a different level of thought here, but this team is not winning a Cup in its current state. I'd be happy to place a wager with you on that, if you'd like. Why do some fans act like Chiarelli can't be challenged or has some sort of resume of success elsewhere?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

pc winning the horton trade was a collossal mistake? getting the soon to be 2-time vezina winner to sign for a 5-mil cap hit was a collossal mistake? making rask the starter when tt is having the best season statistically in the modern era was a collossal mistake? not trading rask when we don't have any other goalie prospect was a collossal mistake? ryder was overpaid by 1.5-2 mil, ference was overpaid by 750k. not sure i'd call those 2 collossal mistakes either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly : Wideman's +/- was +32 against Toronto in 2009? Wow.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

what the f are you talking about?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly : what the f are you talking about?
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

"-13 doesn't mean anything if you play for the leafs. if i remember correctly, wideman was +32 in '09. "

You wrote it.  This reads like Wideman was a +32 playing against the Leafs crappy team D.

Wideman was a +32 in 2008/2009 because he was outstanding that year.

If you are implying Wideman didn't earn his production that year due to Boston's lethal offensive attack, I disagree.  He had a very good year.

Wideman is an offensive defenseman who happens to be very good on the PP from the point and can transition, a subpar 2009/2010 season not withstanding.

He tried to do too much offensively last season and it backfired. No argument there.

Funny how when one player is scapegoated out of town, the other who comes in isn't much better for the team (Horton).

It's also sad when Wideman is your leading point producer in a series where your team blows a 3-0 series lead.

If not for Wideman, they aren't even in that series last year.

Now, this team misses a puck moving D Man who can help on the PP. Ironic, isn't it?

Maybe if Ference wasn't overpaid and Ryder wasn't overpaid these issues would have been resolved?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly : pc winning the horton trade was a collossal mistake? getting the soon to be 2-time vezina winner to sign for a 5-mil cap hit was a collossal mistake? making rask the starter when tt is having the best season statistically in the modern era was a collossal mistake? not trading rask when we don't have any other goalie prospect was a collossal mistake? ryder was overpaid by 1.5-2 mil, ference was overpaid by 750k. not sure i'd call those 2 collossal mistakes either.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

What has Horton done here?  Good thing Campbell has helped on the 4th line.

I still don't see this is as an impact upgrade.  At best, he slighltly improved the team.

I would have traded Ryder (tough to do), not signed Ference, kept Wideman and been more aggressive in free agency for a legit 30 goal scorer. 

You act like Campbell is Kari Lehtonen or something.

This isn't quite like moving chairs around on the Titanic, but it could get to be that way, if CHia's maneuverings don't deliver a Cup.

It'll be 5 years from now and some of you will apparently be excited about how Chia got the best of Dale Tallon in Florida in the Wideman deal.

Whoopee.

It's also funny to me that you have numbers set on how much Ryder and Ference are overpaid.

Thomas's deal has worked out this year no doubt, but it still remains a risky deal moving forward.

I would deal Rask for this reason. He's already committed to Thomas. So, if that is the case, Rask is available.

I want a Cup as bad as any Bruins fan, but I am not delusiona either.  McQuaid and Stuart make fine 5 and 6 D Men.  Ference is paid too much for his value, as is Ryder.

And Wheeler for that matter. And Horton.

See?

Big list.

Chia doesn't take risks.  That;s the main issue. This makes it easy for the fanboys to cheer him on.  Good, but not good enough.

I'll be the first one to compliment Chia on a good trade or trades that clearly help the team, too. I am not complaining just to complain.

This is not the time to sit on your hands as a GM. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs send Versteeg to Philly : In theory, everything's worth is determined by what someone will pay for it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Of course, but I think Philly overpaid for Versteeg.  I don't think he changes them much at all and he makes it more difficult for them to acquire a goalie.  They already have pretty good talent on the third line.  We got a good look at Versteeg in Toronto when he wasn't surrounded by really good players like in Chicago, and he didn't look good at all.  It isn't that Versteeg is a bad player (he's better than Bochenski!), it's that he doesn't seem to make a difference on the Flyers roster, IMO.

It seems like for the past 20 years the Flyers have put a very good team together almost every year, and they never have a good enough goalie to go all the way...let's hope the trend continues.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

bbr, the -13, i was replying to another post that somebody said versteeg was only -13. being -13 on the leafs isn't that bad. the overall team has an impact on your personnal +/-. i used wideman as an example being +32 in 09 because the b's were dominating the league. last year wideman was a minus player as the b's weren't as good as the previous year.

the other post i was referring to pc's "colossal mistakes". i don't think pc has made any collossal mistakes. compare this team to the pre-pc team. the b's are in a very good position. except for tt and chara, the b's are a very young team with a very bright future. i think seguin will be a star, another top 5 pick from the leafs this year. the emergance of lucic, marchand. bergeron finding his offensive touch again.

i agree ference and ryder might be overpaid, but not by enough to be classified as collossal mistakes. if ryder was paid 2-2.5 mil that wouldn't be too bad for a 25 goal man. i think ference would be worth every penny if he was paid 1.5 mil. that's how i figured out by how much ference and ryder are overpaid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Maybe the word "colossal" is throwing this point off.

My point is, a series of missteps as a GM in the cap era of any league can add up to be a major blunder.

We don't know if (in my opinion) the overpaying aspect will hinder him from making the proper deal or deals to put this team over the top.

See my point?

In this case, from a financial standpoint, in my opinion, you aren't getting market return on the players I named.  Maybe you disagree.

Ryder makes too much, Ference does, Wheeler does and I feel Horton was sold to us as THE guy to pop in 30 goals and replace what a prime era Marco Sturm could do.

Obviously, the Thomas contract has worked out splendidly. 

If this team does not make it to a Conf Finals, preferably a Cup FInals, we just saw one more year wasted of fans arguing over players that aren't really well priced under the Bruins cap.

See what I am saying?

Now is the time for Chiarelli to take the chips and make maximize their value for what the goal is here: A Cup.

Sections
Shortcuts