leafs sign Tim Connolly for 9.5 for 2 years?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

leafs sign Tim Connolly for 9.5 for 2 years?!

This has to be a misprint at tsn.

4.75 per year for Connolly?

This one has me flabberghasted.

Given that number, I only wonder why they didn't sign Ryder at 6.5 per year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: leafs sign Tim Connolly for 9.5 for 2 years?!

In Response to leafs sign Tim Connolly for 9.5 for 2 years?!:
    This has to be a misprint at tsn. 4.75 per year for Connolly? This one has me flabberghasted. Given that number, I only wonder why they didn't sign Ryder at 6.5 per year?
    Posted by BadHabitude

He must have Bergenheim's agent.  Almost 5 mill a year for a player who in 68 games last season had 13 goals, 29 assists for 42 points?  I wonder if he is to now assume to position of Number 1 center with Kessel on his wing?  Unreal! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Plus he's had at least 2 concussions documented, missed a playoff game this year with a 'head injury' - yah, right, that's a concussion in my book so I have him at 3, but never mind my speculation on the 3rd concussion - he was out 2 seasons with the concussions he's had.

mind boggling.

And as RHOntario pointed out - 13 goals?

I'm just stunned.

Leafs are just determined to self inflict an injury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Leaf fans seem overjoyed, based on comments to this TSN story.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370708

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: leafs sign Tim Connolly for 9.5 for 2 years?!:
    Leafs fans seem overjoyed, based on comments to TSN story. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370708
    Posted by Klaas

The drugs must be really really cheap up there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Toronto's team trainers and team doctors will earn every penny of their salaries with this guy. It might be fun to start a pool that predicts which game in the schedule he'll miss because of injury. I've got Game 3—in the preseason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Burke has completely lost his marbles!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclemiltie42. Show unclemiltie42's posts

the rally monkey  past on TIM.burkes hands are all over this one..GOD im glad im not a leafs fan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

If one thing happens to them - if Rheimer goes the way of a billion goalies before him and poops the bed in his sophomore year and is out of hockey in 2 years...  they are looking at another lottery pick, but at least they'll get to keep it this time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

i just changed my vote for worst signing thus far....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

So presently the Leaf centers are:
    Connolly
    Bozek
    Grabovski
    Kadri
    (Colbourne if he makes the club) - Tim Brent signed with the Canes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Yet another player one hit away from retirement!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillsBruins. Show WillsBruins's posts

What can we do do get Torontos first pick next year? I really want it.
    The new stud Connolly is prone to injuries, what should we offer when he goes down?
    You think Hamill would do it? BB seems crazy desperate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I bet Kessel is pleased.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I think this is a stop-gap move.  The Leafs have money to spend and need someone to help with the top line until some of the younger players are ready (if they reach their potential).

Having said that, not a very inspiring move if you're a Leaf fan.

I think the going rate for FA's with the increase in the cap has started another round of over-paid players. 

I'm shocked at some of the contracts just signed.

Goes to show how smart your GM was to lock up your core players at less than market value.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I think this is a stop-gap move.  The Leafs have money to spend and need someone to help with the top line until some of the younger players are ready (if they reach their potential). Having said that, not a very inspiring move if you're a Leaf fan. I think the going rate for FA's with the increase in the cap has started another round of over-paid players.  I'm shocked at some of the contracts just signed. Goes to show how smart your GM was to lock up your core players at less than market value.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

LRH - For the sake of Leaf fortunes, one would have to hope Connelly is a find.  He certainly doesn't fit the description of what Burke stated he wanted in his club; truculence, belligerence and testosterone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Burke must have some "master" plan in the works.  And by that, I mean run the Leafs into the ground, get fired, got to Ottawa and build a dynasty of a team that never loses to the Leafs again.  I mean really, what is he doing up there!?!?!?!?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: leafs sign Tim Connolly for 9.5 for 2 years?! : LRH - For the sake of Leaf fortunes, one would have to hope Connelly is a find.  He certainly doesn't fit the description of what Burke stated he wanted in his club; truculence, belligerence and testosterone.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

Not sure he's looking for that necessarily in the 1st line center position.  I don't think this is a real find, I think it is more what I first thought, a stop-gap.

I'm glad he didn't bite on Richards. That contract is ridiculas.  Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. 

The truculence, belligerence and testosterone is something that will take some time and seasoning from some of their draft picks. They definitely need to get bigger at the forward position.  I'm okay with the skill and size of their dmen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: leafs sign Tim Connolly for 9.5 for 2 years?! : Not sure he's looking for that necessarily in the 1st line center position.  I don't think this is a real find, I think it is more what I first thought, a stop-gap. I'm glad he didn't bite on Richards. That contract is ridiculas.  Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make.  The truculence, belligerence and testosterone is something that will take some time and seasoning from some of their draft picks. They definitely need to get bigger at the forward position.  I'm okay with the skill and size of their dmen.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

I think you nailed it with your stop-gap take.  I'd imagine he'll help mentor the Leafs' youth brigade of Bozak, Colborne, if he makes the club and Grabobski.  If he can stay healthy, Connelly should help but that's a massive if.  I heard him on THE FAN 590 today and he sounded chuffed to be a Leaf.  He likened it to playing for the Yankees.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Burke must have some "master" plan in the works.  And by that, I mean run the Leafs into the ground, get fired, got to Ottawa and build a dynasty of a team that never loses to the Leafs again.  I mean really, what is he doing up there!?!?!?!?!
    Posted by bigvig

If you watch the leafs a lot you'll know how bad things really were before Burke got there.  It's a train wreck that will take time.  You can question his moves since he's arrived, but the scouting staff is much better and I think the front office is a lot better.  It will take time and I see next year as a cross-roads year.  They played pretty well since Jan/11 (4th in the East since that period).  Doesn't make up for the bad start, but if the goaltending holds up, the team is competitive.  They gave the Bruins a lot of trouble especially in the last two games.

They've done a pretty good job building up the farm team with picks and trades so time will tell.  They are younger, faster and grittier but they have a ways to go.

I'm not overly thrilled with where they are but I'm a bit more optimistic then when Burke first came over.

Again, lets see where they end up this year and what moves they make along the way.  I liked their 1st two picks in both the last couple of years, especially where they picked from.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: leafs sign Tim Connolly for 9.5 for 2 years?! : I think you nailed it with your stop-gap take.  I'd imagine he'll help mentor the Leafs' youth brigade of Bozak, Colborne, if he makes the club and Grabobski.  If he can stay healthy, Connelly should help but that's a massive if.  I heard him on THE FAN 590 today and he sounded chuffed to be a Leaf.  He likened it to playing for the Yankees.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

Not sure about the 'Yankee' comparison, but in terms of the hockey world it's probably not too far off.

Having said that, the leafs may rival the Yankees in terms of relative money making franchises (relative to the NHL that is) but nowhere near the success history. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Burke is desperate to his appease the leaf fan base, not sure if this will help?.Anyone remember all the complainers over the Michael Ryder contract.That
    looks like a steal compared to this.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

PC should have signed Ryder 6.5M for 2 years. He would have accepted.
    3 years or more never, but  for 2 years it`s ok. Now it`s the new reality with the  64M. cap. And it will probably increase in the future. Wages in the sport never decreases.

I know Chiarelli have some players to sign in the future. But the other teams too. With Savard out, he have 15M available.

And if for Jacobs, 1 Stanley Cup every 40 years was enough!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Talk radio in Toronto tomorrow should be really good for laughs.Those poor dumb leaf fans.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

That's almost as crazy as 4,5M per for Cole.  Insane money!

Sections
Shortcuts