Leafs worst franchise in all of sports

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Leafs worst franchise in all of sports

Stories like these just make me smile :)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404736

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Leafs worst franchise in all of sports

Money cannot buy you love.  And if you keep coming back for the love then ................... the fans in Toronto deserve better.  BTW I don't like how the Patriots sell their team like the Red Sox, different results as I speak, but Toronto seems to be snake bitten like Washington Redskins fans or do I say Jets teams in spin job.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I stopped reading the article at "according to ESPN Magazine". 

Poor Toronto, such a large and supportive (though naive) fan base, but they can't win a thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

bump ^

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

bump

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

I stopped reading the article at "according to ESPN Magazine". 

Poor Toronto, such a large and supportive (though naive) fan base, but they can't win a thing.

It speaks volumes when the face of the franchise is the president/GM not one of the players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's because the Leaf fans don't read ESPN mag. 
    Once I saw it was from ESPN and the NO1 franchise the Oklahoma City Thunder ???
    NO1 NHL franchise Tampa Bay Lightning ????
    That's all I needed to read not to take this article serious and ESPN.

The Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens were also among the NHL's six worst franchises and could not crack the Top 100 overall ranking in the four major sports.

AND THEY ^^^^ WERE VOTED FOR THE BEST UNIFORM ????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Let's add that Toronto and Montreal are two of the teams that generate the most revenue in the NHL ... how can they be in the worst franchise category !
    (hate I cannot edit !!!)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Let's add that Toronto and Montreal are two of the teams that generate the most revenue in the NHL ... how can they be in the worst franchise category !
    (hate I cannot edit !!!)

That was my first thought. The article says they took everything into consideration, yet some how the Tampa Bay Lightning were the highest ranked NHL team....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Here is a link to the rankings (overall and category by category).

Phoenix Coyotes somehow is the top rated NHL in sixth place (one place ahead of TB)!!!!!?

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/teamrankings#table

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

^

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Bisson1 wrote:
    That was my first thought. The article says they took everything into consideration, yet some how the Tampa Bay Lightning were the highest ranked NHL team....

You would think turning big profits year after year would get you out of the bottom of that list.
    Hence ESPN a joke

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

we all know that ESPN has no clue[ new word ?] about anything related to hockey. Their criteria ia always skewed to their pre-set  conclusions

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

we all know that ESPN has no clue[ new word ?] about anything related to hockey. Their criteria ia always skewed to their pre-set  conclusions

In response to how do you bump a thread.
    atta-boy, this is how you bump up a useful thread. Just post a comment and/or post the word "bump" and it'll bring it up on top of the list but you already knew that.  That's what BadHab refers as a bump.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I don't understand how ESPN can blatantly be so bad when it comes to anything hockey and yet they still try and come off as sounding like they know everything.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

"worst franchise" is such a generic term that it means nothing anyway.  Worst in terms of location?  Worst competitively?  Worst ownership?  Worst financially?  Worst working conditions?  Any 5 of those specifics yields a different answer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Did you look at the link Davinator provided, steve?  They're going for an overall ranking based on winning, management, and fan experience (I'm summarizing).  Interestingly, profitability is not a key component, which is why the Leafs - literally a cash cow with tumescent udders despite constant milking by military grade industrial milking technology - are at the bottom and not the top and the Coyotes are near the top and not at the very bottom of the WalMart end-of-season clearance bin.

They've basically chosen criteria that are going to favour small-market teams that have had some success in the last three years (Kings are a small market NHL team).  I mean, here's the top 7 NHL teams according to this list: Phoenix, TBags, NJ, Nashville, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Carolina.  Every one of them has or has had serious financial problems in recent memory (committed ownership is a category here, and the Penguins - the team that has repeatedly threatened to move - got a "6" where the Bruins got a "48" and low numbers are the goal).  Four of those teams are either expansion or relocations to "non-traditional hockey markets".  Affordability is another criteria, and it includes parking and concessions.  Here's a surprise - supply and demand means tickets are more expensive in major centres and hockey markets, and they're most expensive in major centres that are hockey markets.  "Stadium experience" is also ludicrous - explansion teams have state-of-the-art facilities. You can tailgate in shorts in Florida in January.  When you're serving minute steak, you cover that chit in steak sauce; when you serve filet, you serve it with just a little seasoning.  Meaning, if the product on the ice stinks, of course you need something else to get fans to choke down a night at the rink.

The measures that matter are all heavily qualified, too - championships won in the lifetime of current fans (sure) or expected to be won (what?).  Wins over the last three years adjusted for revenues directly from fans (isn't that the same thing as affordability/high ticket prices?).

I don't think the list is stupid because ESPN knows nothing about hockey.  I think it's stupid because they don't make it clear that this list is about the best and worst teams to follow as a home fan (winning notwithstanding).  Cheap tickets, cheap beer, Springsteen live between periods, free parking, loveable players, an owner using the team as a tax write-off who pours money in without much concern for quality of return, and one surprise playoff run every four years - BEST TEAM EVER!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I hate trying to read novels. Grr.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Did you look at the link Davinator provided, steve?  They're going for an overall ranking based on winning, management, and fan experience (I'm summarizing).  Interestingly, profitability is not a key component, which is why the Leafs - literally a cash cow with tumescent udders despite constant milking by military grade industrial milking technology - are at the bottom and not the top and the Coyotes are near the top and not at the very bottom of the WalMart end-of-season clearance bin.

They've basically chosen criteria that are going to favour small-market teams that have had some success in the last three years (Kings are a small market NHL team).  I mean, here's the top 7 NHL teams according to this list: Phoenix, TBags, NJ, Nashville, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Carolina.  Every one of them has or has had serious financial problems in recent memory (committed ownership is a category here, and the Penguins - the team that has repeatedly threatened to move - got a "6" where the Bruins got a "48" and low numbers are the goal).  Four of those teams are either expansion or relocations to "non-traditional hockey markets".  Affordability is another criteria, and it includes parking and concessions.  Here's a surprise - supply and demand means tickets are more expensive in major centres and hockey markets, and they're most expensive in major centres that are hockey markets.  "Stadium experience" is also ludicrous - explansion teams have state-of-the-art facilities. You can tailgate in shorts in Florida in January.  When you're serving minute steak, you cover that chit in steak sauce; when you serve filet, you serve it with just a little seasoning.  Meaning, if the product on the ice stinks, of course you need something else to get fans to choke down a night at the rink.

The measures that matter are all heavily qualified, too - championships won in the lifetime of current fans (sure) or expected to be won (what?).  Wins over the last three years adjusted for revenues directly from fans (isn't that the same thing as affordability/high ticket prices?).

I don't think the list is stupid because ESPN knows nothing about hockey.  I think it's stupid because they don't make it clear that this list is about the best and worst teams to follow as a home fan (winning notwithstanding).  Cheap tickets, cheap beer, Springsteen live between periods, free parking, loveable players, an owner using the team as a tax write-off who pours money in without much concern for quality of return, and one surprise playoff run every four years - BEST TEAM EVER!

Yeah, I did read the link Book, and it was the one provided by Red that started the thread.  The above just goes into more detail regarding how dumb the ESPN article really is.  It's combining a bunch of irrelevant facts and attempting to make some kind of overall point through the addition.  One of the most inane, disgusting pieces of sports journalism i've read in a while.  Overall, the public counts on each facet of the media to have a reasonable ability to connect the dots.  They assume a great level of competence.  Unfortunately millions of casual sports fans will see this crap as gospel. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Any list of "best NHL franchises" which puts PHX and TB at the top is seriously lacking any credibilty, and shows no understanding of the factors which make people love a team.