LeBrun: Key To Deal, Owners Need to Reign In "Bloodthirsty Jacobs"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gardensupporter. Show Gardensupporter's posts

LeBrun: Key To Deal, Owners Need to Reign In "Bloodthirsty Jacobs"

Pierre LeBrun says there's a simple solution to the Lockout..its just had for moderate owners to

get "Bloodthirsty" owners led by Jacons to come around:

"The owners get their 50-50 split, but only by phasing into it so players don’t get overwhelmingly hammered by escrow in the first two years of the deal. Hopefully from the players’ perspective, by the time they get down to 50 percent in Year 4, the HRR pot will have grown enough that, in actual dollars, it wouldn’t be that much of a hit on salaries.

Right now, neither side would embrace this solution. The players likely would see this as giving in. Meanwhile, bloodthirsty owners like Jeremy Jacobs want their pound of flesh right off the top from the players, so 53 percent (down from the current 57 percent) would not be even close to what his group would agree to in Year 1.

For once, wouldn’t it be refreshing to see some of those moderate owners who don’t see the world the same way a hawk like Jacobs does stand up and espouse compromise? Where is their voice in all this?

To me, both sides could live with a 53-52-51-50-50-50 split over six years"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: LeBrun: Key To Deal, Owners Need to Reign In

I heard LeBrun on the radio last night and he doesn't isolate Jacobs only,  he says both Jacobs and Snider lead the owners. 

Lebrun is really following up what his buddy at ESPN started.  See Burnside's article.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8369671/comes-nhl-nhlpa-cba-negotiations-time-teams-dynamics-different

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

I heard LeBrun on the radio last night and he doesn't isolate Jacobs only,  he says both Jacobs and Snider lead the owners. 

Lebrun is really following up what his buddy at ESPN started.  See Burnside's article.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8369671/comes-nhl-nhlpa-cba-negotiations-time-teams-dynamics-different

OH Great! Does this mean JJ is going to revert his old ways after he doesn't get his way this time???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Hard for me to question business decisions by Jacobs. If more owners followed his business model I doubt the league would in its 4th lockout. From what I can tell the guy knows how to run a business. Hopefully in those meetings he's letting the less fiscally responsible owners know they arent doing themselves any favors.

I just think hammering or blaming Jacobs is the convenient uneducated way of looking at things.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Tried to edit it but couldnt, but it seems to me that Jacobs is the last owner that needs to be "reigned in."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Hear what you're saying Kel, but are telling me that you don't think his penny pinchin ways didn't hurt the B's from winning in the past? Is that not what the whole point of playing the game is? To win. Not talking about now. He's let PC build to not only a contender, but to go out & bring in the right players & become champions & keep the core players here. However, can you honestly say that his stubborness & more worried about the mighty dollar didn't get in the way of helping to possibly win well before 2011? I think JJ's past ways were to the extreme where the NYR's were to the other extreme. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Hear what you're saying Kel, but are telling me that you don't think his penny pinchin ways didn't hurt the B's from winning in the past? Is that not what the whole point of playing the game is? To win. Not talking about now. He's let PC build to not only a contender, but to go out & bring in the right players & become champions & keep the core players here. However, can you honestly say that his stubborness & more worried about the mighty dollar didn't get in the way of helping to possibly win well before 2011? I think JJ's past ways were to the extreme where the NYR's were to the other extreme. 

I'd say Harry played a large role in that train of thought. Mike O'Connell said in his press conference that he agreed with Harry when he stated he would rather have 5 -2 million dollar players then one ten million, and Harry still built some real good teams. I just don't agree with Jacobs taking the blunt of the blame here. I think he loosened the purse strings long before PC was hired.. Stevens was traded for, Lapointe was signed and they took alot of heat for giving Joe Thoronton the entry deal that they did.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, no one should have to take the blunt, kel.

Harry and Jacobs have always been on the same page philosophically.  I often felt that the whole cheap thing was really their resistance to the direction other owners were taking spending on players.  Pretty clear that Bourque should have been the highest paid defenseman of his era, or maybe Coffey by a hair, but other teams would push up expectations for Bourque by signing a lesser player to a higher salary.  That era, around the beginning of the 80s, was the era when market value started to separate from on-ice value.

And the whole Orr leaving for Chicago deal - that's on Eagleson. Hasn't Orr even said that if he'd known about the ownership stake, he'd have stayed in Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Gary Bettman is the head of the class.  Most would signify that JJ is the financial advisor to Bettman.  Owners reigning in owners is correct.  Yet if the mechanization for doing so is alienating the NHL entertainment market, namely the fans, any blame will be placed on those two individuals.  Right or wrong.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mike6724. Show mike6724's posts

I read 3 part article last week (someone tweeted it but i cant remember who) that broke down the NHL revenue. based on the info it seems that the issue is the cap is tied to overall revenue and that is a bad thign based on the disparity in what the rich and poor teams make. what i gathered from the article is that the richest teams want to keep poor teams in sunbelt cities so that they keep the overall revenue down and that keeps the cap down. this works for the rich owners becasue the cap stays low and they make more profits. that being said they dont want to pay to support them so they want to break the players and make them support them. they dont want to move the teams to the north because it will be competition for non shared revenue and, if they do make money, the cap will go up and they will have to pay their players more. Jacobs is the hawk because he wants the players to support the sunbelt teams, and he wants a rollback to fatten his wallet....if the cap is to be tied to overall league revenue then the only way to go is accross the board NFL style revenue sharing.....or the owners can try and break the players backs and we wont be watching hockey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrainDoctorDanny. Show BrainDoctorDanny's posts

Jacobs is getting cocky again.

Lebrun says Jacobs leads the hard liners who are really trying to stick it to the Players. Liuterally trying to take away money the players have already rightfully negotiated for themselves.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Yeah, no one should have to take the blunt, kel.

Harry and Jacobs have always been on the same page philosophically.  I often felt that the whole cheap thing was really their resistance to the direction other owners were taking spending on players.  Pretty clear that Bourque should have been the highest paid defenseman of his era, or maybe Coffey by a hair, but other teams would push up expectations for Bourque by signing a lesser player to a higher salary.  That era, around the beginning of the 80s, was the era when market value started to separate from on-ice value.

And the whole Orr leaving for Chicago deal - that's on Eagleson. Hasn't Orr even said that if he'd known about the ownership stake, he'd have stayed in Boston.

Yes he did.But then Eagleson wouldn't have gotten any of that,so he just told Bobby about the better offer(more money) coming from Chicago, then Ol' Alan would get his more than fair share.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

whether he's spearheading or just following other owners, let's not kid ourselves, JJ's as hardliner as they come....  he's banking on the B'S fans returning en masse due to the cup win of 2011....

i for one believe that Uncle Harry would've spent more on talent had JJ provided the funds back in the day....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

whether he's spearheading or just following other owners, let's not kid ourselves, JJ's as hardliner as they come....  he's banking on the B'S fans returning en masse due to the cup win of 2011....

i for one believe that Uncle Harry would've spent more on talent had JJ provided the funds back in the day....

no question.  GM's and coaches are hockey people first....but if they want a job in pro hockey...they absolutely must conform to the business philosophy set forth by ownership.  Harry was just trying to be the best employee possible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Not sure he's doing this with the 2011 Cup in mind. He banked on it pretty heavily in the last lockout as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

no question.  GM's and coaches are hockey people first....but if they want a job in pro hockey...they absolutely must conform to the business philosophy set forth by ownership.  Harry was just trying to be the best employee possible.

See:  Glen Sather

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Not sure he's doing this with the 2011 Cup in mind. He banked on it pretty heavily in the last lockout as well.

good point Kel....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I'd say Harry played a large role in that train of thought. Mike O'Connell said in his press conference that he agreed with Harry when he stated he would rather have 5 -2 million dollar players then one ten million, and Harry still built some real good teams. I just don't agree with Jacobs taking the blunt of the blame here. I think he loosened the purse strings long before PC was hired.. Stevens was traded for, Lapointe was signed and they took alot of heat for giving Joe Thoronton the entry deal that they did.

Kirk Ledeuke told me yrs ago that JJ got PO'd at Illich, because he called him  cheap after JJ accused him of over spending on players. JJ then told O'Connell to go after Lapointe for spite. I was totally shocked at the signing to be honest. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kirk Ledeuke told me yrs ago that JJ got PO'd at Illich, because he called him  cheap after JJ accused him of over spending on players. JJ then told O'Connell to go after Lapointe for spite. I was totally shocked at the signing to be honest. 

This story is known.  I wouldn't use Ledeuke as a reference for anything other than the current time or current weather.  That's the guy who wrote about Matt "Shut Down D-man" Bartkowski.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

This story is known.  I wouldn't use Ledeuke as a reference for anything other than the current time or current weather.  That's the guy who wrote about Matt "Shut Down D-man" Bartkowski.

LOL... you're an elephant !  The guy is not bad but god forbid he spits out a hickup.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

LOL... you're an elephant !  The guy is not bad but god forbid he spits out a hickup.

Everyone makes mistakes, but this was no error.  It's not like he had a mind blip and stated that Lucic played for Portland instead of Vancouver.  Everyone he wrote about Bartkowski was about him being a quality defensive defenseman.  It was 100% fiction!  How can you trust anything that person writes again?  It would be like trusting OatesCam in a stats debate!  Or Kelvana in any debate that isn't centered around cross dressing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Everyone makes mistakes, but this was no error.  It's not like he had a mind blip and stated that Lucic played for Portland instead of Vancouver.  Everyone he wrote about Bartkowski was about him being a quality defensive defenseman.  It was 100% fiction!  How can you trust anything that person writes again?  It would be like trusting OatesCam in a stats debate!  Or Kelvana in any debate that isn't centered around cross dressing.

OMG you're too funny.

I'm going to remember also if he does become a shut down D.  If...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

This is from an article that came from the MSGNetwork back in 2001 NAS.

"that was the most stupid deal – among dozens – that's caused owners to demand Cost Certainty? Our choice is the Bruins' four-year $20 million pact for Martin Lapointe. The tale behind that one goes back a year before Lapointe was signed. Supposedly, Bruins’ owner Jeremy Jacobs and Detroit owner Mike Ilitch feuded at an owners’ meeting. According to one report, Ilitch called Jacobs a skinflint for not trying to spend and improve his club. Jacobs’ “revenge” was signing Lapointe away from Detroit!"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

This is from another article printed in april 2004. So, maybe Leudeke got his info from a couple of reliable sources? Is that possible NAS?

2001 - Boston signs free agent Martin Lapointe for $5 million per season

Really, anyone who takes anything said by Boston owner Jeremy Jacobs seriously ought to have his head examined. A guy who became extremely wealthy by gouging us mercilessly when we have no one else to provide us with food and drink, Jacobs always led the charge in word and in deed in underpaying his players and cheating his fans out of competitive teams. Here's a guy who wouldn't even pay Raymond Bourque half what he was worth all those years he played so loyally for Boston teams that never had a chance to win a championship.

And yet, when it came to feeding his own personal needs, nothing else mattered. When he needed to make money off his new Fleet Center, nuking the rookie salary cap to get Thornton to the NHL two years early was OK. Even worse, when it came to getting revenge on Detroit's Mike Ilitch for an insult, Jacobs helped blow the lid off salaries for checking forwards bygiving ex-Wing Lapointe $5 million per -- just to get back at Ilitch for defending Detroit's spending habits from Jacobs's attacks by noting out loud how many championships the Wings had won while the only thing Jacobs ever won was the first overall pick (a double dig, alluding as it did to the ruinous Thornton deal).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm aware of the story, Nite.  It's been around for many years.  I was just suggesting to use a different source, because that one is know also...for pulling things out of thin air!

Sections
Shortcuts