Another meeting today in NYC.

Prediction, no business as usual.

[/QUOTE]

what meeting ?  They'll decide today if they meet on Wednesday or Thursday

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: LeBrun: Key To Deal, Owners Need to Reign In

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    no question.  GM's and coaches are hockey people first....but if they want a job in pro hockey...they absolutely must conform to the business philosophy set forth by ownership.  Harry was just trying to be the best employee possible.

[/QUOTE]

See:  Glen Sather

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that kinda drives it home doesn't it?  As much as Sather loves to throw money around, he had to conform in Edmonton.  Wasn't his idea to basically sell Gretzky, or watch most of his best players leave for more money..but...that's the hand ownership dealt him, so that's what he played. 

He goes to New York, and couldn't possibly operate from a more opposite perspective.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm aware of the story, Nite.  It's been around for many years.  I was just suggesting to use a different source, because that one is know also...for pulling things out of thin air!

[/QUOTE]

I know you're aware, but back then when the B's signed Lapointe I sent Kirk an e-mail as I was always reading newenglandjournal.com a lot back then. Asking him why so much for Lapointe when they wouldn't re-sign Allison? That's when he said the whole JJ & Ilitch thing. My point is, just because the guy doesn't know about a d-man. Doesn't mean he doesn't, or didn't have reliable sources about a certain incident. He also told me that he heard that Joe was going to be traded about 2wks before it happened. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

If I remember correctly, Detroit either had no intentions of re-signing Lapointe or were out of it fairly early as it came down to basically the Bruins and Montreal. Anyone else remember this, perhaps there is an article out there.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just save this flippin season. 

And I want to smack Jacobs (and his lackey, Bettman) across his grill with a cold, wet flounder in the home opener.

Come to think of it, Fehr too.

No good guys in this war.

[/QUOTE]

if you and other fans want to smack JJ where it counts, just stay home and watch the games on tv instead....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And I want to smack Jacobs (and his lackey, Bettman) across his grill with a cold, wet flounder in the home opener.

[/QUOTE]

if you and other fans want to smack JJ where it counts, just stay home and watch the games on tv instead....

[/QUOTE]

How do I smack the players ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How do I smack the players ?

[/QUOTE]

less revenue for owners leads to less revenue for the players too....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Given what we now know, and given the fact that Jacobs is the chair of the Board of Governors. does anyone still think that he's changed his ways? The loosening of the purse strings is something that he was more or less forced into after the lockout since he was instrumental in the last CBA. He fought for it and everyone knew that the Bruins had the financial means for all those years so he had little choice.  Now he's spearheading the move to completely rework the previous CBA because it didn't work for teams that are either in bad locations or are being run poorly. Anyone who thinks that Bettman is anything but Jacobs' ventriloquist dummy is giving Bettman too much credit. Jacobs has been, and will continue to be, the worst owner in Boston. Even as badly as the Sox ownership have screwed the pooch the last couple years Jacobs still has them beat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

JJ is probably one of the best(shrewdest) owners in pro sports.  Unfortunately, his success is largely driven by the fact that he's a fairly disinterested Bruin fan.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

What will the owners do to try to win back fans when all of this is over?  Sure a lot of us, despite our bluster, will likely come back and (at least) watch games on TV, if not at the arenas.

But there are a lot of "less than die-hard" fans who, having realized that they can get along just fine, thank you, without the NHL, will simply continue to do so.  And, there are even more 'emerging fans' from the non-traditional markets who were just starting to become interested, only to see hockey completely drop off their radar.

This could very well turn into a lose-lose for both the NHL and the PA, as HRR falls post-lockout, and has impacts on future cap/floor calculations.

And I don't care how shrewd or savvy you are as a business owner -- this is not a strategy for success.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What will the owners do to try to win back fans when all of this is over?  Sure a lot of us, despite our bluster, will likely come back and (at least) watch games on TV, if not at the arenas.

But there are a lot of "less than die-hard" fans who, having realized that they can get along just fine, thank you, without the NHL, will simply continue to do so.  And, there are even more 'emerging fans' from the non-traditional markets who were just starting to become interested, only to see hockey completely drop off their radar.

This could very well turn into a lose-lose for both the NHL and the PA, as HRR falls post-lockout, and has impacts on future cap/floor calculations.

And I don't care how shrewd or savvy you are as a business owner -- this is not a strategy for success.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I can't help but wonder if there aren't those out there...powerbrokers within the business, who genuinely feel this horsesh!t is actually driving up demand.