Legit Argument for Scott Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Legit Argument for Scott Thornton

I've seen many posts and threads continually bashing this guy.  Here is a strong case to keep him on the 4th line other than he "is a good team guy, etc.."  Below is a list of all NHL 4th line forwards who average under 10 minutes per game (exception Tanner Glass at 10:03...close enough), they all must have at least 27 PIM, and the amount of goals they have.  I'm pretty certain than none of these players are on special teams with any kind of regularity.

NORTHEAST
    Colton Orr--Tor    1g  Fraser Mclaren--Tor 3g
    Ryan White---Mtl 1g
    John Scott---Buff 0g
    Shawn Thornton---Bos 3g
    Matt Kassian-Ott 1g

ATLANTIC
    Zac Rinaldo---Phi 3g   Harry Zolnierczyk-Phi 0g
    Krystofer Barch- NJD 0g
    Tanner Glass--Pitt 0g

SOUTHEAST
    Chris Thorburn--Wpg 1g
    George Parros-Fla 1g
    Aaron Volpatti-Wash 1g
    Kevin Westgarth-Car 0g

CENTRAL
    Jordin Tootoo--Det 2g
    Ryan Reaves--St.L 1g
    Brandon Bollig-Chi 0g
    Rich Clune--Nash 4g
    Jared Boll---CBJ 2g

NORTHWEST
    Zenon Konopka--Min  0g     Mike Rupp---Min 1g
    Dale Weiss--Van 2g  Tom Sestito-Van 2g
    Patrick Bordelau--Col 0g
    Mike Brown--Edm 1g
    Tim Jackman--Cal 1g Bryan McGrattan-Cal 2g

PACIFIC
    Antoine Rousel--Dal 5g
    Andrew Desjardins-SJ 1g
    Jordan Nolan---LAK 0g
    Brad Staubitz-Ana 0g
    Paul Bissonnette-Phx 0g  Kyle Chipchura-Phx 4g

Bottom line...Most every team in the NHL has these role playing forwards that mix it up and/or fight. Every team in the Bruins division has this type of player.   Most of these guys on the entire list have less goals than Thornton (although they are not on rosters for goal scoring).  I'm pretty certain that most of these guys are not known for their slick skating ability or puck handling skills.  Many arguments are made that the Bruins need to replace him with a scoring type player.  Clearly, roughly 30 GMs in the league would disagree based on the above list. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Re: Legit Argument for Scott Thornton

Didn't Scott Thornton retire?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

In response to Mutant211's comment:

Didn't Scott Thornton retire?

LOL.  Shawn Thornton.  All that work to put the wrong freaking name in the title.  I'm losing it.  I guess it's getting late OR I've watched too many Sharks games. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

July 28, 2008 I believe...I hear Shawn Thornton is quite the Wayne Gretzky though...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Thornton_%28ice_hockey%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Thornton

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Wasn't he a Shark?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Yeah, he played for them for a while along with like 4-5 other teams.  Dang it.  I think I hijacked my own thread with the darn title.  It's good for a laugh at least.  What A DumbAZZZ

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

There is a time and a place for a player like Thornton, but not in a shortened season where scoring is more important than fighting, and skill will score more goals. He was done after he lost to Scott and good in the room doesn't score goals either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Actually, Scott Thornton in his prime would have been a  most excellent Bruin.....oh well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

Bottom line...Most every team in the NHL has these role playing forwards that mix it up and/or fight. Every team in the Bruins division has this type of player.   Most of these guys on the entire list have less goals than Thornton (although they are not on rosters for goal scoring).  I'm pretty certain that most of these guys are not known for their slick skating ability or puck handling skills.  Many arguments are made that the Bruins need to replace him with a scoring type player.  Clearly, roughly 30 GMs in the league would disagree based on the above list. 

Luc, I can appreciate the time it took to do the research.  That the other skating clowns have less goals isn't a reason to keep Thornton. The problem with Thornton, and most of the other skating clowns, is that they can't do anything at an NHL level.  They obviously can't score.  They can't pass.  They can't play defensively.  They are useless.  Thornton is no different.

Yes, there are plenty of skating clowns in the NHL.  I don't think that means that the Bruins need one.  Skating clowns rarely fight regular hockey players.  They basically only fight each other in pre-planned, staged fights that get casual hockey fans excited as they do-se-do, go, kiss, and head to the box.  If the B's chose to dress a guy with some skill, maybe a good defensive forward, they'd have a leg up.  How, you ask?

Kaspars Daugavins is a perfect example.  He played a lot on Ottawa's PK.  If he's in instead of Thornton, he can take some PK weight off of Bergeron and/or Marchand, giving them more time and/or energy going the other way.

Skating clowns like Thornton cannot do this.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Isn't Shawn and Scott the same close enough no big deal trying to have a little fun. If you put all the inaccurate stuff I posted on here I be a millionaire. Thats why I have you people correct me when I am wrong. It is part of the posting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Depending on the injury situation, I would expect Thornton to spend some time in the press box come playoff time.  NAS is right though, this type player will be phased out of the league in the very near future.  I will give Thornton credit though, he does his job with a smile on his face (and it isn't easy), plus he has 2 cups with his name on them.  Not too shabby.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Re: Legit Argument for Shawn Thornton

I expect Thornton to sit as well come playoff time.  They might put him in the lineup on occasion to "fire the team up" in the same manner that goalies get pulled from the game if things are not going well.  

Not that this a reason to justify his position regular season wise, but it is at least comforting that other teams are not gaining an edge by dressing a player, like a Daugavins (who can do more than just 5-on-5).  In short, it seems like every 12th forward in the NHL has the same characteristics.  In other words, the Bruins during the regular season are not losing anything by dressing Thornton.  I would think differently if our 4th line sucked---but it has been actually pretty good this year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrogdorZing. Show TrogdorZing's posts

In response to brunod's comment:

There is a time and a place for a player like Thornton, but not in a shortened season where scoring is more important than fighting, and skill will score more goals. He was done after he lost to Scott and good in the room doesn't score goals either.

His play isn't any different than Pandolpho's.

I think going after Shawn Thorton instead of Peverly, Chris Kelly when healthy, or Pandolpho makes more sense. 

Complaining  about a 4th line player who is better than most 4th line players is just stupid....

The problem with this team is that they got 2 lines of 4th line players... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I would take Zac Rinaldo in a minute.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

I expect Thornton to sit as well come playoff time.  They might put him in the lineup on occasion to "fire the team up" in the same manner that goalies get pulled from the game if things are not going well.  

Not that this a reason to justify his position regular season wise, but it is at least comforting that other teams are not gaining an edge by dressing a player, like a Daugavins (who can do more than just 5-on-5).  In short, it seems like every 12th forward in the NHL has the same characteristics.  In other words, the Bruins during the regular season are not losing anything by dressing Thornton.  I would think differently if our 4th line sucked---but it has been actually pretty good this year. 

It's one of the best fourth lines in the league.  Our skating clown isn't as bad as the other teams' skating clowns.  That's why he's making 1.1M compared to other clowns making 600K.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to TrogdorZing's comment:

I think going after Shawn Thorton instead of Peverly, Chris Kelly when healthy, or Pandolpho makes more sense. 

Complaining  about a 4th line player who is better than most 4th line players is just stupid....

You think Peverley, Kelly and Horton are fourth line players?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrogdorZing. Show TrogdorZing's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

In response to TrogdorZing's comment:

You think Peverley, Kelly and Horton are fourth line players?

Pev and Kelly have been playing like it all year. They might be 3rd line players but it hasn't happened much this year. 

They are overpaid grinders. I was so mad at how much of the cap they used on them. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Nice post Luc, and you knew you were going to take heat for the Scott Thornton thing. Handled it well though.

My argument for the other side of the Thornton debate, and it's been mentioned, is he does too many of the Fighter Union dances. His job is to be an enforcer and keep other players honest. i don't think he does this as well as Orr or even Neil. He's a better overall player than Orr, I don't doubt that. Neil, I'm not so sure, but those two seem to focus their energy on guys like Kaleta, who are out there to get your teams better players off their game. Thornton fights John Erskine after the Bruins went up two goals, admits it wasn't the best time to oblige but did because Erskine had done it for him in the past. That really bothered me, and while I don't put much stock in how a fight between two enforcers has an effect on the outcome of a game, but for those who do, the Caps came back and won that game.

I did however like when Thornton took care of Rinaldo after he was running around. I just would like to see more of that than the one I mentioned above. When he does that, then he and his role have some value.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Actually, Scott Thornton in his prime would have been a  most excellent Bruin.....oh well.

We had his cousin Joe.

The pedigree is completely off for the Bruins.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Depending on the injury situation, I would expect Thornton to spend some time in the press box come playoff time.  NAS is right though, this type player will be phased out of the league in the very near future.  I will give Thornton credit though, he does his job with a smile on his face (and it isn't easy), plus he has 2 cups with his name on them.  Not too shabby.

Great debate topic... As long as the 5-minute major continues to exist instead of suspension, I think it is going to be tough to phase out this type of player.  Deep down, I also think the Union and the NHL likes this aspect of the game in that it is unique to hockey.  While many fans disdain these types of players, there is an equal number of (or perhaps more)  fans who love to see it whether it is staged or not. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Is there a better option than Thornton come playoff time? If your looking for the odd goal from your fourth line come playoff time, I'm not sure Pandolfo is a better option than Thornton. I realize Pandolfo may be more versatile, but Thornton at least provides more offense than he does.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Wasn't he a Shark?

And an Oiler and a King and a Leaf and a Hab and a Star.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In response to brunod's comment:

If you lived in a world without parameters yes more scoring on the 4th line is needed! Again, 4th line scoring, he compares well, read the 1st post here. There's a cap in place. You can't spend 3-4 mill on a 4th line players. Players that score more make that much. You may want 4th line consistent scoring but I wonder why nearly all teams don't have it?