Lemiuex Hypocrisy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dawoodguy. Show dawoodguy's posts

Lemiuex Hypocrisy

His quote: "If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."

Lemieux called Friday's game a "travesty" and said the NHL "failed" to deliver a clear and strong message about what conduct is acceptable.

Can you freaking believe this guy! If he REALLY wanted to make a statement & show how much he feels about the "travesty" in the game, Matt Cooke would not be playing for the Pens

BTW....I think the Isles/Pens happenings do not belong in the game....The NHL handled it well too

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Lemiuex Hypocrisy

"If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."

Double standard at it's best as he cuts a check every two weeks for Cooke. Too bad Bettman will sit up in listen to this whining.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Lemiuex was a great hockey player who bought a team.  The city built him a new arena (unlike Jacobs in Boston), his crappy team had numerous number #1s, his team su@cked for years only to be lucky to draft Crosby and Malkin... hmmm me thinks he is right maybe he needs to leave the league.  Leave the Pens though!  Cooke d and done with the logic of Lemiuex.  BTW can we have back the Bs colors you were granted to use by the NHL.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Mario is out of line here.  I completely agree with everyone.

You can't have Matt Cooke on your team and cry about over the line rough play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Didn't he play this card as a player as well?

What a fraud, with Cooke the NHL's top cheap-shot artist and employing players like Godard & Engelland.  Anyone want to guess which team leads the NHL in fighting majors? 

You are a part-owner of an NHL franchise, if you don't like the NHL, then sell your part. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macdogcharm. Show macdogcharm's posts

hey finally a topic everyone agrees on!! Lemiuex also won his first stanley cup....when.....the bruins were up on him 2 games to 0.....and the guy in the next stall to him....a guy called "ulf".....took neely out with a cheap shot!! if not for the league's dirtiest player taking out our best player...he doesn't win the cup. he should def. learn to keep his big mouth shut.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

Same old Mario.  When he whined about the clutching and grabbing, the league over reacted.  Now I'm sure they will over react again.

The only good I can see from his crying is that maybe, just maybe, bettman will leave or get canned.  One can only hope.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Cooke is irrelevant. Cooke is a symptom, not the problem. Lemieux is bang on.

He's merely asking if the League cannot or will not protect its players.

Today was the first real shot by a big voice across the bows of the Owners. And it's about time too.

Lemieux is merely acknowledging what everyone knows; the League is failing the players.
    And everyone knows it's gonna be the players - past and present - guys like him and Gretzky and Crosby and Yzerman and Savard and Ference - The Players,  The Stars - who will ultimately change and improve the game and that will happen simply - by better protecting the players.

Everyone knows safe hockey is the best hockey,

Safe hockey sells.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Lemiuex Hypocrisy:
    Cooke is irrelevant. Cooke is a symptom, not the problem. Lemieux is bang on. He's merely asking if the League cannot or will not protect its players. Today was the first real shot by a big voice across the bows of the Owners. And it's about time too. Lemieux is merely acknowledging what everyone knows; the League is failing the players. And everyone knows it's gonna be the players - past and present - guys like him and Gretzky and Crosby and Yzerman and Savard and Ference - The Players,  The Stars - who will ultimately change and improve the game and that will happen simply - by better protecting the players. Everyone knows safe hockey is the best hockey, Safe hockey sells.
    Posted by Awry

What are you talking about?

How can you say Cooke is irrelevant in the context of a conversation about player's safety?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Wow....Mario Lemiex it's official.....you are a hypocritical D' ouche bag ! With comments like that, I'm even more proud to be a Bruins fan. You would never hear Cam Neely say anything as stupid as that. What an @ss h@le.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Lemiuex was a great hockey player who bought a team.  The city built him a new arena (unlike Jacobs in Boston), his crappy team had numerous number #1s, his team su@cked for years only to be lucky to draft Crosby and Malkin... hmmm me thinks he is right maybe he needs to leave the league.  Leave the Pens though!   Cooke d and done with the logic of Lemiuex.  BTW can we have back the Bs colors you were granted to use by the NHL.  
    Posted by islamorada

Fluery was also a #1 draft pick for them. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Because Cooke is a player on the team Lemieux has an ownership stake in, it somehow conflicts Lemieux, it excludes Mario from comment?

How can you applaud Ference for his courage and honesty and bemoan Mario Lemieux his?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Come on, I am sure his cry also asks for the removal of guys like cook.  He can't say that in public but I know he does not approve of cook.  Cook is in the line up because his GM thinks it's vital for his team, crosby and malkin.  Besides, cook in pittsburgh only keeps their stars a little safer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Lemieux finally came out to comment because his team finally got dealt with by the league and he didn't like it. Lemieux could also tell Shero not to sign players like Cooke if he wanted a cleaner hockey game.

If clean hockey means taking great open ice hits out of the game, protecting a teammate or penalizing an Islander player who's finally has had enough of Max Talbot's (who started the whole brawl in the first place) stick work cheap shots when the refs aren't looking is your idea of clean hockey then again Lemieux must look in the mirror because Samuelson, Talbot and Cooke are direct reflection's of the Penguin organization for the past 25 years.

Lemieux has only one other investor involved Ronald Burkle which is co-ownership Mario is not just an investor. Lemieux could most certainly say to Ray Shero not to sign certain players that is why it is so hypocritical.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Did he really have anything to complain about???  If you watch the video of the fights, both teams took turns instigating those brawls.  Also, the Isles received the worst fines and more Isles were suspended.  The only Pitt discipline was for the guy who left the bench.

Looks to me like the Pens got the best of that deal.  Mario has nothing to complain about.  The league actually changed the rules for him when he was a player.  Maybe he thinks he can spark a change now as an owner.  I wish he would just keep his mouth shut after this...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Total hypocrit.  Having Cooke in the lineup is far more dangerous to other players than having Islanders players starting fights. 

Sorry Mario, you can't just complain when it happens to your team.  He's acting like a real crybaby.  If he wanted to make a statement about player safety he would send Cooke packing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Mario wasn't talking about just his team. (the Isles were fined 100K th Pens weren't...)
    He was talking about the League, but more importantly, the game. He was embarrassed, because It was embarrassing. It is embarrassing.

And Daly says the NHL is completely comfortable about it. These are the guys you should be mad at - the real hypocrites - the guys advertising one thing and selling another, not unlike tobacco salesmen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

Lame-ieux again. Always whining, always getting a Pittsburgh discount from the league. Never had a thing to say about Ulf §cumuelsson, Kasparaitis etc. as long as they were on his team. Most overrated player and biggest hypocrite in NHL history.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Mario wasn't talking about just his team. (the Isles were fined 100K th Pens weren't...) He was talking about the League, but more importantly, the game. He was embarrassed, because It was embarrassing. It is embarrassing. And Daly says the NHL is completely comfortable about it. These are the guys you should be mad at - the real hypocrites - the guys advertising one thing and selling another, not unlike tobacco salesmen.
    Posted by Awry

Embarrassing is whining and crying over the events of friday night, I bet that crybaby lemiex says nothing had his team won 9-3 . I bet if it was matt cooke laying on the ice instead of Marc Savard or ulf samuelsson's knee gets destroyed instead of Cam Neely's , I bet he sits up and takes notice?  See where I'm going with this? Lemiex should have kept his pie hole shut....the only sympathy he'll get, are from the fans of his team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Isles were pretty ridiculous, stockpiling goons for that game, and I think the Isles got off light.  So Mario has a point there - it's embarrassing when a team all but has the PA announcer declare their intent to goon it up.

But Cooke is not a symptom of anything other than the Penguins' comfort level with that kind of hockey.  There are two things here that confuse Lemieux's message, and both were within his control.

1. He chose to make this announcement after his team was targetted for goonery.  Not after the Bruins-Habs melees or after Pens-Caps when Cooke clearly instigated matters with his attempt on Ovechkin's knee (and one can only speculate that it was in retaliation for the hit that left Crosby seeing stars).  Clear and unacknowledged self-interest always, always, makes a message like this seem self-serving and cynical rather than genuine.  At very least, it taints the message.

2.  The Penguins GM is the son of the man whose greatest success was heading the Broad Street Bullies, a team that quite openly played the kind of hockey that Lemieux is indirectly criticizing by saying the league didn't send a clear enough message.  He built the team you might expect him to build around the superstars he inherited. The Penguins have the most major penalties in the league - by 7, or roughly 12.5% more than the next highest team (the Bruins at 56).  You know more than a few of those penalties are not fighting majors, they're boarding majors, kneeing majors, hitting from behind or shots to the head.  They only have two guys who fight, and Godard doesn't always dress.  And the Penguins condone Matt Cooke - they send him over the boards no matter what liberties he takes with other players' health.  More to the point, if Lemieux feels the league isn't sending a clear enough message with its nambypamby discipline, the Pens have never added a team suspension to top off a league suspension on Cooke.  As SanDog points out, Talbot's no angel, and Orpik, Kunitz, Kennedy, and Asham are the same in kind if not degree - players who walk the line between annoying and downright dirty.  Lemieux needs to look at this and realize that the Isles loaded up for revenge, not just because it would be a fun change for the fans.  If you feel like you need revenge, it's usually because you feel someone took liberties in the first place.

I have no issue with Mario speaking up, but unlike Ference, he looks like he did it with a huge sneezeguard over his own team.  Ference spoke the truth about his own team.  Major difference.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the guy who cuts matt cooke a check every week, should keep quiet when it comes to what's acceptable behavior in the nhl, unless he's announcing his release.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I like most of the posts on here.  It's not just Cooke, the Penguins have a line up that has many players that play on the edge and push boundries, and he's the worst.  The islanders were pissed off from the last game.  If the Penguins were innocent, then he could complain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

This from Alan Adams at the San Fracisco Chronicle -

"When Mario Lemieux attended his first NHL governors meeting as owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins, he was given a standing ovation when he walked into the room, and rightfully so. Lemieux saved a franchise and the NHL needed him.

And should Lemieux decide to attend the next governors meeting, the lords of the boards should be on their feet again, applauding him for pointing out the obvious, for putting the NHL on notice, for calling it like it is.

Lemieux didn't mince his words Sunday when he ripped into the NHL about the way it handled the discipline stemming from a fight-filled game between his Penguins and the New York Islanders.

"Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be," Lemieux said. "But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn't hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

"The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed."
    Mario Lemieux Questions Future in League
    Trevor Gillies, Matt Martin, Eric Godard Suspended; Islanders Fined

How often do you hear one of the greatest players ever say the NHL "failed" to do the right thing? ... Lemieux doesn't speak often and when he does, he should be listened to.

How often do you hear one of the greatest players ever say the NHL "failed" to do the right thing? How often does an owner of a Stanley Cup champion say the NHL is soft on crime?

Lemieux doesn't speak often and when he does, he should be listened to.

He was right on when he had enough of hooking and holding and called the NHL a "garage" league in 1992 when he was one of the game's biggest stars.

And now, his remarks are far more scathing, maybe because the truth hurts.

By saying the NHL "failed" he is sending a clear message to Gary Bettman and the commissioner and his employees at hockey operations should listen.

Lemieux is telling them to clean up their act, to take a stand and throw the book at people, and he is well within his rights to question whether he wants to continue to be part of a group that fails to meet the challenge.

The last thing Bettman needs is to have one of the most respected players in the history of the game, an owner who knows the playing and business side of the puck, walk away from the game because the NHL failed to protect its assets, the players.

You can't swing a dead cat at a governors meeting without hitting a For Sale sign on one of the teams, and having Mario Le Magnifique bolt would be a major blow for hockey.

But Bettman has shown a knack for alienating people he should have in his corner.

Wayne Gretzky is on the outside looking in because of the way the NHL is handling the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes. What does that say by having The Great One not being part of the game?

Then there is Sidney Crosby and it doesn't take much to read between the lines of Lemieux's statement. He's pissed at how the NHL mishandled Crosby's concussion.

Crosby has been on the sidelines since New Year's Day thanks to a controversial head hit by Washington's David Steckel. The puck wasn't anywhere near Crosby when he was hit.

There was no penalty on the play and no one is sure when the NHL's brightest star will resume playing.

The NHL failed Crosby more than a month ago just like it failed to go far enough in suspending Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke for four games for leaving his feet in an attempt to crush the cranium of Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin.

Four games was a joke.

Back to Lemieux.

The Penguins co-owner was reacting to how the NHL suspended two members of the New York Islanders and fined the organization $100,000.

The Islanders went into Friday's game still bitter about their previous meeting with Pittsburgh and seemed intent to take matters into their own hands. Trevor Gillies gave Eric Tangradi a concussion -- hitting him in the head before punching him in the face and taunting him -- while Matt Martin grabbed an unsuspecting Max Talbot and dropped him with a couple punches.

In announcing the suspensions, the NHL warned that punishments will continue to be harsh for similar infractions down the road.

"The message should be clear to all players: targeting the head of an opponent by whatever means will be dealt with by suspension," said NHL vice-president Colin Campbell.

The message was clear enough for Lemieux.

"We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players," the Hockey Hall of Famer said in his statement. "We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

"If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."

When Boston defenseman Andrew Ference spoke his mind about a head hit by teammate Dan Paille on Raymond Sawada of the Dallas Stars, he was called everything under the sun and none of it good.

Now we have Mario Lemieux saying the NHL "failed" to do the right thing.

He's right and everyone knows it.

The NHL failed to get it right, again."

'Bookboy'......'sneezeguard' ...that was pretty good.

This is bigger than Cooke or Lemieux or Bettman. The League is reeling from incident to incident and in absence of any indication otherwise, seems content to operate at the edge, content to wait for the other shoe to drop, one BIG incident (a death on the ice) away from losing half it's audience.

The NHL game is all over the map right now, sending contradictory and confusing messages.
    And being confusing, is probably the biggest sin of all.

If the League doesn't know - or doesn't want to know  - what it is selling, how does it expect people to buy it?

People are funny that way; they like to know what they're buying.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"unsuspecting Max Talbot" Now I know you didn't watch the Pens-Isles previous game(s) to see what Max Talbot did and you certainly didn't watch the Friday night brawl because you would have seen what he did to Matt Martin down in the other NY defensive end Awry. Don't re-write what some Pittsburgh matt cooke apologist already put in his Pittsburgh Notebook.

"Mario Lemieux Questions Future in League" Everyday that Lemieux's on the gold course he makes hand over fist and for what ? He got 45% of the franchise because of a contract the previous owner owed him. Le Magnifique will never bolt it's a vail threat is what it is he knows he has a cash cow down there. Jeremy Jacobs wishes the city of Boston would've built an arena for him.

PS. Best thing that ever happened to Don Maloney in Phoenix was Gretzky leaving the Coyotes started winning as soon as the door hit the great ones A__!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

This from Alan Adams at the San Fracisco Chronicle -      "When Mario Lemieux attended his first NHL governors meeting as owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins, he was given a standing ovation when he walked into the room, and rightfully so. Lemieux saved a franchise and the NHL needed him. And should Lemieux decide to attend the next governors meeting, the lords of the boards should be on their feet again, applauding him for pointing out the obvious, for putting the NHL on notice, for calling it like it is. Lemieux didn't mince his words Sunday when he ripped into the NHL about the way it handled the discipline stemming from a fight-filled game between his Penguins and the New York Islanders. "Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be," Lemieux said. "But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn't hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that. "The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed." Mario Lemieux Questions Future in League Trevor Gillies, Matt Martin, Eric Godard Suspended; Islanders Fined How often do you hear one of the greatest players ever say the NHL "failed" to do the right thing? ... Lemieux doesn't speak often and when he does, he should be listened to. How often do you hear one of the greatest players ever say the NHL "failed" to do the right thing? How often does an owner of a Stanley Cup champion say the NHL is soft on crime? Lemieux doesn't speak often and when he does, he should be listened to. He was right on when he had enough of hooking and holding and called the NHL a "garage" league in 1992 when he was one of the game's biggest stars. And now, his remarks are far more scathing, maybe because the truth hurts. By saying the NHL "failed" he is sending a clear message to Gary Bettman and the commissioner and his employees at hockey operations should listen. Lemieux is telling them to clean up their act, to take a stand and throw the book at people, and he is well within his rights to question whether he wants to continue to be part of a group that fails to meet the challenge. The last thing Bettman needs is to have one of the most respected players in the history of the game, an owner who knows the playing and business side of the puck, walk away from the game because the NHL failed to protect its assets, the players. You can't swing a dead cat at a governors meeting without hitting a For Sale sign on one of the teams, and having Mario Le Magnifique bolt would be a major blow for hockey. But Bettman has shown a knack for alienating people he should have in his corner. Wayne Gretzky is on the outside looking in because of the way the NHL is handling the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes. What does that say by having The Great One not being part of the game? Then there is Sidney Crosby and it doesn't take much to read between the lines of Lemieux's statement. He's pissed at how the NHL mishandled Crosby's concussion. Crosby has been on the sidelines since New Year's Day thanks to a controversial head hit by Washington's David Steckel. The puck wasn't anywhere near Crosby when he was hit. There was no penalty on the play and no one is sure when the NHL's brightest star will resume playing. The NHL failed Crosby more than a month ago just like it failed to go far enough in suspending Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke for four games for leaving his feet in an attempt to crush the cranium of Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin. Four games was a joke. Back to Lemieux. The Penguins co-owner was reacting to how the NHL suspended two members of the New York Islanders and fined the organization $100,000. The Islanders went into Friday's game still bitter about their previous meeting with Pittsburgh and seemed intent to take matters into their own hands. Trevor Gillies gave Eric Tangradi a concussion -- hitting him in the head before punching him in the face and taunting him -- while Matt Martin grabbed an unsuspecting Max Talbot and dropped him with a couple punches. In announcing the suspensions, the NHL warned that punishments will continue to be harsh for similar infractions down the road. "The message should be clear to all players: targeting the head of an opponent by whatever means will be dealt with by suspension," said NHL vice-president Colin Campbell. The message was clear enough for Lemieux. "We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players," the Hockey Hall of Famer said in his statement. "We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action. "If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it." When Boston defenseman Andrew Ference spoke his mind about a head hit by teammate Dan Paille on Raymond Sawada of the Dallas Stars, he was called everything under the sun and none of it good. Now we have Mario Lemieux saying the NHL "failed" to do the right thing. He's right and everyone knows it. The NHL failed to get it right, again." __________ 'Bookboy'......'sneezeguard' ...that was pretty good. This is bigger than Cooke or Lemieux or Bettman. The League is reeling from incident to incident and in absence of any indication otherwise, seems content to operate at the edge, content to wait for the other shoe to drop, one BIG incident (a death on the ice) away from losing half it's audience. The NHL game is all over the map right now, sending contradictory and confusing messages. And being confusing, is probably the biggest sin of all. If the League doesn't know - or doesn't want to know  - what it is selling, how does it expect people to buy it? People are funny that way; they like to know what they're buying.
    Posted by Awry

You are still dancing around the main topic of this thread , and that is...he signs Matt Cookes cheque every two weeks. If he is that appalled at the state the game is in, and would like to see a change in that mentality...he could have spoke out on his teams behalf regarding the Cooke hit on Savard....he chose not to ,instead, he decided it would more beneficial to his franchise to keep Matt Cooke around , a player that has been no stranger to controversy his entire career by the way . Mario Lemieux should clean his own back yard, before wanting to clean someone else's. It's kind of like Charles Manson wanting the death penalty for other serial killers but pleading to a jury to be exempt because he finds other serial killers to be offensive. I agree there is no room for the kind of garbage that went on Friday night , but Lemieux is totally out of line here....... You reap what you sow Mario.

Sections
Shortcuts