Less Than 2 Minutes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Less Than 2 Minutes

Here's my question...  Suppose (like last night's Bruins - Canadiens game) there is less than 2 minutes left in a game where the score is like last night, 5 to 4 and suppose there is a Canadien player parked in front of the Bruins net like there was. 

What if a Bruin player shoved the Canadien out of the way or did whatever necessary to get him away from the front of the net.  Also, suppose that whatever the Bruin choose to do would have been a penalty and therefore if there was more than 2 minutes left in regulation he would serve the penalty. 

So, in last night's game like I said, there was less than 2 minutes left, what would happen in the case of a penalty?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

Re: Less Than 2 Minutes

In response to bingobilly's comment:

Here's my question...  Suppose (like last night's Bruins - Canadiens game) there is less than 2 minutes left in a game where the score is like last night, 5 to 4 and suppose there is a Canadien player parked in front of the Bruins net like there was. 

What if a Bruin player shoved the Canadien out of the way or did whatever necessary to get him away from the front of the net.  Also, suppose that whatever the Bruin choose to do would have been a penalty and therefore if there was more than 2 minutes left in regulation he would serve the penalty. 

So, in last night's game like I said, there was less than 2 minutes left, what would happen in the case of a penalty?

It's a penalty, just like any other penalty.....the time would carry over to OT.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The only penalties I can think of where the outcome would be different than simply sitting in the box for two would be instigating at the end of a game (suspension) intentional illegal substitution (penalty shot) intentionally dislodging the net with under two to go (penalty shot) or handing the puck in the crease (penalty shot). Otherwise it's two in the box for a minor. Falling on the puck in the crease in that situation is also supposed to be a penalty shot, but I have never seen it called.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

In response to red75's comment:

The only penalties I can think of where the outcome would be different than simply sitting in the box for two would be instigating at the end of a game (suspension) intentional illegal substitution (penalty shot) intentionally dislodging the net with under two to go (penalty shot) or handing the puck in the crease (penalty shot). Otherwise it's two in the box for a minor. Falling on the puck in the crease in that situation is also supposed to be a penalty shot, but I have never seen it called.

However, suppose like in last night's game there was only 8 seconds left, Chara cross-checks the guy in front of the net and therefore, the Canadien's do not score the tying goal.   Does Chara serve only 8 seconds and the Bruins create a scrum on the face-off and negate the 8 second Canadien advantage and win the game 5 to 4?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Four possibilities - A)yes, Chara goes to the box for just 8 seconds. B) The ref slaps him for two minors, one on the crosscheck and another for unsportsmanlike and the Bruins are down 5-3 with 8 seconds on the clock C)The play goes to after game review, as all penalties do, and Chara gets slapped with a fine. D) The check escalates to a fight and Chara gets the instigator at the end of the game and he mises the next game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Four possibilities - A)yes, Chara goes to the box for just 8 seconds. B) The ref slaps him for two minors, one on the crosscheck and another for unsportsmanlike and the Bruins are down 5-3 with 8 seconds on the clock C)The play goes to after game review, as all penalties do, and Chara gets slapped with a fine. D) The check escalates to a fight and Chara gets the instigator at the end of the game and he mises the next game.

Good scribe,  I enjoyed reading...  If it was a playoff game I think Chara or whoever should do it.  Something tells me, that the league has some kind of "unwritten" rule as to how to handle that situation.  I suspect the refs are told to let a lot of "stuff" go certainly within the last seconds of a game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to bingobilly's comment:

Good scribe,  I enjoyed reading...  If it was a playoff game I think Chara or whoever should do it.  Something tells me, that the league has some kind of "unwritten" rule as to how to handle that situation.  I suspect the refs are told to let a lot of "stuff" go certainly within the last seconds of a game.

Maybe, but the ref has some discretion there, especially with the unsportsmanlike call. It could be playing with fire.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I can't imagine a scenario where Chara cross checks somebody in front of the night and ends up with an instigator.  An instigator penalty is for trying to start a fight, not clear the crease area, no matter how vicious.  One is part of a hockey play and one isn't.  If Gallagher comes back at Chara after a cross check and tries to fight him (almost inconceivable) there is no way Chara ends up with an instigator there.  

The big cross check is an interesting idea, but I think that when the D-men are concentrating on tying up sticks and blocking shots, you really can't be distracted with lining up a cross check.  Whe you're down 4 on 6, moving one guy out of the crease just means another one has escaped your attention on the other side.  

It was an unlucky finish.  Puck over glass is an unlucky penalty and deflected shots off of the d-man's stick is a really unlucky goal.  But it happens.  I'm glad the Bruins didn't whine and cry like Montreal and Vancouver fans.  The B's lost 1 point and should feel very confident in their ability to rattle and torment Carey Price.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I can't imagine a scenario where Chara cross checks somebody in front of the night and ends up with an instigator.  An instigator penalty is for trying to start a fight, not clear the crease area, no matter how vicious.  One is part of a hockey play and one isn't.  If Gallagher comes back at Chara after a cross check and tries to fight him (almost inconceivable) there is no way Chara ends up with an instigator there.  

The big cross check is an interesting idea, but I think that when the D-men are concentrating on tying up sticks and blocking shots, you really can't be distracted with lining up a cross check.  Whe you're down 4 on 6, moving one guy out of the crease just means another one has escaped your attention on the other side.  

It was an unlucky finish.  Puck over glass is an unlucky penalty and deflected shots off of the d-man's stick is a really unlucky goal.  But it happens.  I'm glad the Bruins didn't whine and cry like Montreal and Vancouver fans.  The B's lost 1 point and should feel very confident in their ability to rattle and torment Carey Price.

I agree it's unlikely, but I saw a similar play at a Giants' game that lead to an instigator. Brutal crosscheck above the crease by the D, Player turns to confront the D, fight ensues - offsetting fighting majors with an instigator on the D. Granted this was WHL, but it's a possibility, though I agree highly unlikely at the NHL level. I was just trying to think of any and all possible scenarios. Even if the play is successful, you're still looking at a 6-3 with 8 seconds and a faceoff in your own zone. Risky play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

It was an unlucky finish.  Puck over glass is an unlucky penalty and deflected shots off of the d-man's stick is a really unlucky goal.  But it happens.  I'm glad the Bruins didn't whine and cry like Montreal and Vancouver fans.  The B's lost 1 point and should feel very confident in their ability to rattle and torment Carey Price.

Yes, but it really was a 3 point swing...instead of 2 for the Bs (0 for Mtl), they get 2 and we get but one.

I like the fact that we can get to Price and I believe in a 7 game series, the Bs win in 5 or 6 games.

Sections
Shortcuts