Let me clarify something...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Let me clarify something...

I'm going to start with a disclaimer: I'm sick and tired of people saying we should have signed so-and-so because his numers this season are x, y, and z. Its just plain ridiculous to say if Player X were here he would have X goals and be leading the team.

Lets put 1 name to what I'm talking about. We didn't re-sign Ryder in the off-season. Boo-hoo. I wish we had, but he got a lot of money that we couldn't offer if we wanted to keep our core players intact.

But he scored 30 goals this season! Right I get it, he's a good offensive player and he's doing well in an offensively minded system. Good for him, I'm glad. To say that if he were to be transplanted from Dallas to Boston his numbers would be the same is borderline ignorant.

Whose minutes would he take? Krejci? Lucic? Horton (ok ok ok, you win there). Bergeron? Seguin? Marchand? No. He's a third liner in Boston. There's just not enough space in the top-6 for him to be on ice as much as he is in Dallas.

He's an offensive minded player (and a goalie sometimes) so he will always do better in an offensive system like Dallas (compared to Boston's defense first, wait what defense? lol). Would I like him back? Right now, yes. After Horton and Peverley are back, at his current salary NO at Pouliots? YES Wink

/rant

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Let me clarify something...

In Response to Let me clarify something...:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to start with a disclaimer: I'm sick and tired of people saying we should have signed so-and-so because his numers this season are x, y, and z. Its just plain ridiculous to say if Player X were here he would have X goals and be leading the team. Lets put 1 name to what I'm talking about. We didn't re-sign Ryder in the off-season. Boo-hoo. I wish we had, but he got a lot of money that we couldn't offer if we wanted to keep our core players intact. But he scored 30 goals this season! Right I get it, he's a good offensive player and he's doing well in an offensively minded system. Good for him, I'm glad. To say that if he were to be transplanted from Dallas to Boston his numbers would be the same is borderline ignorant. Whose minutes would he take? Krejci? Lucic? Horton (ok ok ok, you win there). Bergeron? Seguin? Marchand? No. He's a third liner in Boston. There's just not enough space in the top-6 for him to be on ice as much as he is in Dallas. He's an offensive minded player (and a goalie sometimes) so he will always do better in an offensive system like Dallas (compared to Boston's defense first, wait what defense? lol). Would I like him back? Right now, yes. After Horton and Peverley are back, at his current salary NO at Pouliots? YES /rant
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]
    Lam, I feel your pain about the ryder argument. All of these posters that think it acceptable to pay Ryder 3.5 mil would all be upset when it comes time to re-sign Seguin and Lucic (and the money runs out). Not every deal is just for today. Most deals have an effect on tomorrow. This would've been one of those deals.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Dammed if you do and dammed if you didnt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

People just seem to think oh so and so is good, we should just add him to our team and we'll be so much better.

Now if we're talking Datsyuk, yes I'm on that train. haha

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Ryder wouldn't score 30 goals in CJs system. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Let me clarify something...:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to start with a disclaimer: I'm sick and tired of people saying we should have signed so-and-so because his numers this season are x, y, and z. Its just plain ridiculous to say if Player X were here he would have X goals and be leading the team. Lets put 1 name to what I'm talking about. We didn't re-sign Ryder in the off-season. Boo-hoo. I wish we had, but he got a lot of money that we couldn't offer if we wanted to keep our core players intact. But he scored 30 goals this season! Right I get it, he's a good offensive player and he's doing well in an offensively minded system. Good for him, I'm glad. To say that if he were to be transplanted from Dallas to Boston his numbers would be the same is borderline ignorant. Whose minutes would he take? Krejci? Lucic? Horton (ok ok ok, you win there). Bergeron? Seguin? Marchand? No. He's a third liner in Boston. There's just not enough space in the top-6 for him to be on ice as much as he is in Dallas. He's an offensive minded player (and a goalie sometimes) so he will always do better in an offensive system like Dallas (compared to Boston's defense first, wait what defense? lol). Would I like him back? Right now, yes. After Horton and Peverley are back, at his current salary NO at Pouliots? YES /rant
    We have already been through this on another thread. I will agree that letting Ryder go was a business decision & probably the right one. I just think that 3.5 million for 30 plus goals is not that outrageous of a contract. You have to admit Dallas is getting good value for the money. It seems to be the going rate these days in the NHL.  Also, you keep bringing up Pouliot. That has to be the biggest waste of 1 million I have ever seen. You can't make the arguement that he replaces Ryder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Let me clarify something...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Let me clarify something... : Lam, I feel your pain about the ryder argument. All of these posters that think it acceptable to pay Ryder 3.5 mil would all be upset when it comes time to re-sign Seguin and Lucic (and the money runs out). Not every deal is just for today. Most deals have an effect on tomorrow. This would've been one of those deals.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Oh cmon Dez, Ryder signed a 2 year deal which means it would have expired at the same time as Seguin/Lucic. No impact on resigning them at all there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

People have already forgotten how utterly frustrating Ryder was during his time here. When he wanted play he was a solid player but there were so many nights he was the laziest player I've ever seen. Yes we would all want that guy we saw in the playoffs but he was never going to be a core player the team builds around. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

ILH- what about all the UFA's this summer? Rask, Boychuck, Kelly, Peverley, Krejci, etc.

Nitpicking who we talk about for contracts doesn't change the fact that it makes money tighter. He's a third line player for the Bruins when we are healthy. Who wants to pay like $3.5 million for a third line player?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]People have already forgotten how utterly frustrating Ryder was during his time here. When he wanted play he was a solid player but there were so many nights he was the laziest player I've ever seen. Yes we would all want that guy we saw in the playoffs but he was never going to be a core player the team builds around. 
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

No but even lazy Ryder is clearly better than the teams current complimentary players.

Ryder /> Pouliot
    Ryder /> Rolston
    Ryder /> All AHL Call Ups
    Ryder = /> Kelly

etc.... I was hard on the guy but he did earn my respect he is playing his head off in Dallas, I wouldnt expect him to do that here. But I would expect him to be NOT INJURED and putting up around 20g 20a on the third line which would be HUGE right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

PC had given up on Ryder last season, he even tried trading him at the deadline but there were no takers.  Before playoffs he was scratched. 
    What happened after was all bonus for PC. 
    PC also gave him the okay to shop the free agency market . I don't think he wanted him. I also read somewhere, at the time (after July 1st) ,  Ryder saying the Bruins didn't give him an offer.
    3.5 is not much for 2 years.  Even if he could score just 19-24goals as a Bruin , in their current system, ice Time and no PP.
    You win some gamble and you lose some. Move on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree he is better than all those players except for Kelly. BsL said it correctly time to move on. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let me clarify something... : Oh cmon Dez, Ryder signed a 2 year deal which means it would have expired at the same time as Seguin/Lucic. No impact on resigning them at all there.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]
    ILH, I noticed that but it's foolish to think it would have no bearing. If you gave Ryder that money than would Peverley have re-upped(for less than Ryder)? What would happen with Kelly, Paille, and Rask? It would've had an immediate trickle down effect that would've eventually played into the upcoming deals for Lucic and Seguin. Sorry, but I'm a "big picture" guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

He may be better than those players. But his goals were replaced and then some.

We are 2nd in the league in scoring. Its not offense thats the problem.

We've slipped to 7th in the league in goals against. THAT'S the problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]He may be better than those players. But his goals were replaced and then some. We are 2nd in the league in scoring. Its not offense thats the problem. We've slipped to 7th in the league in goals against. THAT'S the problem.

actually no, everything is the problem.  2nd in league scoring is very misleading...so is 7th in goals against.
    fact is, for quite some time now, the B's are near the cellar in both categories.  what transpired in nov-dec has little relevancy as to how this team is performing in the here and now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Silly Bisson, he already has. Twice. And scored 27 another year. The Bruins are the most offensive (and high-scoring) team in the league right now.

[QUOTE]Ryder wouldn't score 30 goals in CJs system. 
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

The Bruins arent the most offensive team in the league right now. Ok, actually their play has been downright offensive, but to say they are fine offensively is wrong. They scored a ton of goals in November and December.  They were also healthy then.  I have a hard time believing that Horton will be back this year, if ever. And if Horton comes back, do we think he will just shake off the rust of A. not playing, and B. a serious concussion problem?
    Thomas is exhausted and looks old. I say roll the dice with Turco....Thomas is giving up 3 Plus goals a game, how much worse can it be?

going back to Horton, I know he didnt score alot of goals, but his line scored alot...with he and Peverly gone, all the lines are changed and no one is in sync...they look awful.
    I will say it again...and again...and again. I understand Claude won a cup with this team last year, but I dont like him as a coach. They need someone to kick them in the backside, not sit there like humpty dumpty on the bench with that mouth agape look he has. I have never liked Claude and never will...there is a reason every team he coached started out well, and after a few years the league figures out his system. Teams are KILLING the Bruins with passes right down the seams.  When was the last time you saw this team allow so many open guys on the dots??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

D-E-N-I-A-L
    Idiots

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let me clarify something... : actually no, everything is the problem.  2nd in league scoring is very misleading...so is 7th in goals against. fact is, for quite some time now, the B's are near the cellar in both categories.  what transpired in nov-dec has little relevancy as to how this team is performing in the here and now.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree. I don't have a bone to pick with our offense. I do with our defense. Between the atrocious give aways and the poor goaltending our offense hasn't been allowed to do what it does best.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]Ryder wouldn't score 30 goals in CJs system. 
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Stamkos wouldn't score 30 in Claude's system ... well, ... he might.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

[QUOTE]D-E-N-I-A-L Idiots
    Posted by dogwhacker[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call other posters here idiots (apart from the obvious trolls...) but there certainly is a pretty strong dose of denial going around here IMHO. Sorry folks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

It's not denial. Its hope.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]It's not denial. Its hope.
    Exactly right. Denial is being able to easily dismiss the fact the Bruins are still the Champs until someone is able to finish them off.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let me clarify something... : ILH, I noticed that but it's foolish to think it would have no bearing. If you gave Ryder that money than would Peverley have re-upped(for less than Ryder)? What would happen with Kelly, Paille, and Rask? It would've had an immediate trickle down effect that would've eventually played into the upcoming deals for Lucic and Seguin. Sorry, but I'm a "big picture" guy.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I still dont think it would have effected the signing of Krejci, Boychuck, Rask or Kelly. I do see where you have a point about peverley though.

Im not trying to beat a dead horse here, im not devastated over the loss of Ryder by any means. I guess that PC could have just done a bit more in the offseason that is all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

ILH it affects those signings in that they were UFA's this summer and needed new contracts. Ryder would have taken up a good chunk of what was left to sign them with.