Let's all back off the Bruins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Let's all back off the Bruins

We're a little too harsh on this group. The cast has changed 25%. A look at the standings doesn't look bad, it could be better - but still not bad.

If they are where they are without playing up to their potential, all should be great when they do. We all agree that the capacity for improvement is there, if it wasn't we would be in trouble.

Let's back off. Nothing will happen until the third week of January, when teams realize where they are and what they have to do. Rosters will solidfy, and mid-season form will kick in.

Then we'll be able to rant and rave with every right.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Re: Let's all back off the Bruins

Looks like the masses deserted your post Wheatskin's.. I look around the standings and see teams like Chicago, Washington, LA  and for a long period there the Sharks struggling to win a game , any game , and here we have a team that has won double the games it has lost and yet nitpicking every aspect of this teams moral fibre seems to be the going rage these days..

I happened to be on ESPN.com and came upon  an interesting article written by Scott Burnside on Mark Savard..maybe something like this has been written in Boston local papers but I had no idea the demons this guy was playing with in the offseason.. What a tragic story for such a young man to be dealing with..

So when I read posts criticizing Savard for an errand pass that some say cost us a game, I say thank God he was there to MAKE that pass after reading this ..
    Judging from this Savvy was headed in the wrong direction until he sought help..
    And from the looks of it the journey back is certainly far from over..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=5900319

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

So we should only say positive things about the bruins? I thought this was a discussion forum, not just a cheering section.
    I will continue to express my opinion, both positive and negative.
    Win or lose, all I want to see is a real effort for an entire game. I think they have been sorely lacking in this, for a majority of the games this year.
    I don't question the talent on the team, but I do question their work ethic.
    Sorry if this offends you, but IMO, I think the goalies are the main reason for their good record, and the goalies deserve a better effort from the majority of players.
    If you want something positive, I have been happy with the efforts of; Bergeron, Chara, Boychuck, Thornton, and Marchand. I also think their last game, although a loss, was one of their better all-around efforts they have given this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

McEachern? You mean the Paille clone .He last played for the B's about 10 years ago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Re: Let's all back off the Bruins:
    [QUOTE]McEachern? You mean the Paille clone .He last played for the B's about 10 years ago.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Judging from your user name, you should know what a brain freeze can do. I must have had one.
    I fixed my post to read Marchand

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Let's all back off the Bruins:
    [QUOTE]We're a little too harsh on this group. The cast has changed 25%. A look at the standings doesn't look bad, it could be better - but still not bad. If they are where they are without playing up to their potential, all should be great when they do. We all agree that the capacity for improvement is there, if it wasn't we would be in trouble. Let's back off. Nothing will happen until the third week of January, when teams realize where they are and what they have to do. Rosters will solidfy, and mid-season form will kick in. Then we'll be able to rant and rave with every right.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Agree with the general tone of your post, wheats, but also agree w/biggskye that this forum shouldn't be just a rah-rah for the B's no matter how they're playing...for me, and I suspect for a lot of long-time (read: suffering) Bruins fans, there's still the highest level of demand/expectation to win a Cup....if not from the actual team on the ice, then from the mgt. and ownership that put them there.

what I mean to say is that the Bruins are in a very tough spot: the Stanley Cup might be the toughest title to win in all of sports given the chaotic nature of the game (one bad bounce can mean the diff. between an OT win and a heartbreaking loss) and the parity in the league w/the cap is evident...but at the same time the B's are sticking out like sore thumbs as the only Boston franchise NOT to have come thru for their fans since...well, you know when.

This team right now, as I've said ad nauseum, aint good enough to win it all this year....I'm willing to wait to see what moves can be made to change that and  you can hardly blame PC, CJ, and yes, even JJ for the fact that Ovechkin plays in Wash., Crosby in Pitt., etc....yet, there is room for improvement--as you pointed out, w/cap space possibilities in the next few weeks (and PC MUST step up here), and even in watching how Juien handles the corps he does have. I think many of us are justifiably concerned that maybe his style--while sound defensively--is hampering some progress on the offensive front, and while I'm not normally a fan of a revolving coaching door, I don't think  it's outrageous in this instance to suggest that if the Bruins keep hovering around a 7 or 8 seed and are waiting to be chum for an opening round loss to the conference leaders, maybe a more dynamic coach is needed.

I'm not saying that's positively the case, only making the argument that watching Savard's progress carefully, seeing whether certain players (Ryder, Wheeler) are really worth keeping, and gauging how the club is faring under a coach who seems to have little in the way of surprise or change, is fair game for comment as we head into '11.

as always, Go Bruins!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Good point cowboys9.  Read the piece myself.  Savard's been through some tough few months.  It's not pretty.   People seem to forget that, before the injuries, Savard was the only bona fide proven 100 point player on this team.  But, some don't think that 70+ assists and 20+ goals from 1 player don't count for much in winning games. Right now, the Bs are in a tight conference.  In the West we'd be a 3 seed. Outside of the Pens and Wings, a lot of parity around.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

People don't forget that about Savard.  They just also remember his crying and whining to the refs and the fact that he doesn't make the players around him any better.  His wingers give him assists, he doesn't give his wingers goals.

The guy was seriously hurt.  I feel terrible for him for that.  I hate him on the Boston Bruins and would be happy if they traded him and his awful contract to any team in the league for any return.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

NAS NAS NAS, 70 assists does not make his wings better, come now you know better than that.

The B's are better with Sav in the lineup than without, goals PP are all up when he is in.

Right now he is not what he was, it may be next year before he is back to form much like Berg, but he looks to be getting better every game, he needs to be on the 1st line.

The only prob I see is lack of effort at times and the CJ system.

This is NHL hockey the worst teams beat the best teams on given nights, goalies stand on their heads, shooters hit posts, extra flight times tire them, flu's ...

The B's have a respectable team that are a threat for the cup.

The CJ system, ...
    he rolls all 4, he is getting more production from this cast than any previous, but throwing them out following every penalty is just dense. These are NHL ATHLETES, they don't need 5 mins to recover from a shift of 30 secs to a min, put your best players on the ice more and more and the odds are they will produce more.
    Cambell is playing 5mins a game more than half the forwards, they must be really trying to get on his old man's side. 
    Seg is used as first shooter in OT SO but is seeing less and less time, give the kid some quality time.

You bring in Sav and pay him long term big bucks and don't give him the 1st line.  Put him with Luc and Hort, which every one wanted for past few years was a scorer on top line, now we have one, put Sav with them and see how that goes.

Berg was a scorer when team needed one, that is not his job now but he still has the talent.

The CJ system does not allow for creativity at the players top level, there is always a D first agenda hammered into everyone's head and I am tired of it bringing so much boring hockey.  The CJ way is what leaves the B's showing no effort till late in the third when they have to score to get back in the game because they are held back way too much and then he turns them loose and they rally for last ten mins of game. They are playing to keep it close and then when CJ has no other choice he sends out his energy line (4th) for last shift until we score so he can send them out again. He is a dolt, a plain flapjawed dolt, I can just imagine what he would have tried to do to Orr and the B's in the 70's. He has a system designed for teams that are not good enough to stay in games, the B's are good enough and need someone to coach that can coach the next level.

We have the Goalies, we have the D, we have the forwards ...

so that would mean we do not have the coach!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Great story on Savard and anyone who has suffered a concussion ( 2 for me ) would know exactly what he went thru.
    There will always complaining about this team but i cant wait until they become 100 percent healthy and get a chance to settle down and be more .competetive

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

"He has a system designed for teams that are not good enough to stay in games, the B's are good enough and need someone to coach that can coach the next level."

Ahh ive been wondering about this. Egg vs the Chicken arguement. Are the bruins good enough? Do they still need the CJ system which seems to taylor to making mid-pack teams competitive? Would the team flounder without it?

IS Krejci-Bergy-Horton-Lucic-Savard-Seguin really enough offensive firepower to  play a more aggressive game?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

and the Bruins are going to win the Stanley Cup 3 years in a row ...and this is still not enough ????

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

Back off this group?!?!?! No problem...especially when we have 3 REAL LEGITIMATE professional teams to follow that actually are committed to winning.  Back off this group? How about "ignore this group"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thank God we are rooting for the Bruins and not a lousy soccer team with a lousy coach...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]NAS NAS NAS, 70 assists does not make his wings better, come now you know better than that.  The B's are better with Sav in the lineup than without, goals PP are all up when he is in. Right now he is not what he was, it may be next year before he is back to form much like Berg, but he looks to be getting better every game, he needs to be on the 1st line. The only prob I see is lack of effort at times and the CJ system. This is NHL hockey the worst teams beat the best teams on given nights, goalies stand on their heads, shooters hit posts, extra flight times tire them, flu's ... The B's have a respectable team that are a threat for the cup. The CJ system, ... he rolls all 4, he is getting more production from this cast than any previous, but throwing them out following every penalty is just dense. These are NHL ATHLETES, they don't need 5 mins to recover from a shift of 30 secs to a min, put your best players on the ice more and more and the odds are they will produce more. Cambell is playing 5mins a game more than half the forwards, they must be really trying to get on his old man's side.  Seg is used as first shooter in OT SO but is seeing less and less time, give the kid some quality time. You bring in Sav and pay him long term big bucks and don't give him the 1st line.  Put him with Luc and Hort, which every one wanted for past few years was a scorer on top line, now we have one, put Sav with them and see how that goes. Berg was a scorer when team needed one, that is not his job now but he still has the talent. The CJ system does not allow for creativity at the players top level, there is always a D first agenda hammered into everyone's head and I am tired of it bringing so much boring hockey.  The CJ way is what leaves the B's showing no effort till late in the third when they have to score to get back in the game because they are held back way too much and then he turns them loose and they rally for last ten mins of game. They are playing to keep it close and then when CJ has no other choice he sends out his energy line (4th) for last shift until we score so he can send them out again. He is a dolt, a plain flapjawed dolt, I can just imagine what he would have tried to do to Orr and the B's in the 70's. He has a system designed for teams that are not good enough to stay in games, the B's are good enough and need someone to coach that can coach the next level. We have the Goalies, we have the D, we have the forwards ... so that would mean we do not have the coach!!!
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]
    Sorry but I can't agree.At what point do these players(men being paid to do a job)take responsibility for failure?CJ's system had them top 2 in the nhl offensively and #1 on D only 2 years ago when he won coach of the year.Could his coaching methods have become so outdated in only 2 years that it's now stifling the offence that's there?We,as fans,act like it's CJ's fault that guys aren't bearing down and burying chances.If the Bruins are in ANY danger of missing the play-offs this year then I'm all for looking for a better coach(not so easy either)but since I don't see that happenning,I think it's just a matter of the lineup getting 100% healthy and gelling at the right time for the post-season.To sum it up I just don't think a coaching change would immediately affect the on-ice product that much.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbw413. Show jbw413's posts

Whos turn is it to bake cookies for the team tommorow?

We need more excuse makers and enablers so TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!

Anybody live near a beach? We need more sand to bury our heads into as well

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinscam. Show bruinscam's posts

repeat   will miss playoffs

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let's all back off the Bruins : Sorry but I can't agree.At what point do these players(men being paid to do a job)take responsibility for failure?CJ's system had them top 2 in the nhl offensively and #1 on D only 2 years ago when he won coach of the year.Could his coaching methods have become so outdated in only 2 years that it's now stifling the offence that's there?We,as fans,act like it's CJ's fault that guys aren't bearing down and burying chances.If the Bruins are in ANY danger of missing the play-offs this year then I'm all for looking for a better coach(not so easy either)but since I don't see that happenning,I think it's just a matter of the lineup getting 100% healthy and gelling at the right time for the post-season.To sum it up I just don't think a coaching change would immediately affect the on-ice product that much.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I agree completely Dez.
    Though the one coaching change I would like to see is have Jarvis spend more time working on team character and work ethic. If it takes him telling stories about playing with a broken jaw or broken fingers or dislocated shoulder or an inflamed liver (all things he did as a player) to get this team to understand what it takes to be a champion, then he should do it. I think  players would respect his tutelage on this - you don't get to be the iron man without being a hockey player's hockey player. He's the only Whaler or Hab I've cheered for in my life - he doesn't need to teach them how to play, he needs to teach them how to BE.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]Whos turn is it to bake cookies for the team tommorow? We need more excuse makers and enablers so TELL YOUR FRIENDS!! Anybody live near a beach? We need more sand to bury our heads into as well
    Posted by jbw413[/QUOTE]

You may have changed your avatar, but the fishy troll smell is still there.

Go troll somewhere else, or find something else to do.

Sections
Shortcuts