Lets make a bet: TOR #1 pick...Come and Vote!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Lets make a bet: TOR #1 pick...Come and Vote!

I bet, that by 3:01pm Monday afternoon the Bruins will acquire an impact player in a trade involving TOR #1 pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Re: Lets make a bet: TOR #1 pick...Come and Vote!

Not off to a great start, but have faith, Xenimus will bring you that present on Monday afternoon!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to Re: Lets make a bet: TOR #1 pick...Come and Vote!:
    [QUOTE]Not off to a great start, but have faith, Xenimus will bring you that present on Monday afternoon!
    Posted by xenimus[/QUOTE]

sorry X voted pipe but heres hoping im wrong and u are right cause id love to see it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets make a bet: TOR #1 pick...Come and Vote! : sorry X voted pipe but heres hoping im wrong and u are right cause id love to see it.
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

Noooo! Come to the "darkside"! (actually-good)

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I thought this was going to be "guess what # selection the pick will be".  Currently 7th, but tied with the Avs in points, two up on Florida, three up on the Devils, and six up on the Isles.  The Avs are a concern right now, but when Duchene returns, they're a different team.  Florida is up and down, and they might be selling like a bootleg street vendor, but the Devils are making a real push.  So are the Isles if they can get enough goaltending.  I think the Pens game was their version of Boston-Dallas.  It might be wishful thinking, but I'd put the odds of the Leafs dropping down to own the 3rd or 4th pick at 65% or 45%.  Not bad.

The longshots?  Well, Edmonton's won 4 of 5 and look like a much different team.  And Ottawa's won two straight thanks largely to Craig Anderson stabilizing their atrocious goaltending.  Alfredsson is likely done for the year - why would they risk his health? - and even though the perception is that they're big sellers, they haven't moved Kovalev, Spezza, Phillips, Gonchar - really, the only core players they moved were the underproducing Fisher and grinder Kelly.  And have you seen this Bobby Butler kid?  Watch highlights of his goal last night.  Ouch.

It happens every year that the Leafs put on their tease - they win a few games in a row to keep the blue and white faithful placated, but then they crash and burn again.  Meanwhile other bottom feeders win enough games playing out the string to sink the Leafs ever deeper.  Remember, no one ever went broke betting against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I voted x because torontos pick will likely be around the 8 to 10 and PC has alot of prospects coming in next yr to push for a spot. Im thinking PC if he can manage the capspace will go after hemsky because the oilers would love another 1st rd pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Doubt very much that impact player is coming. Cap concerns mostly for the B's, and too many teams on the bubble un-willing to part w/an impact player.

I think we'll see the return of Shane Hnidy and that's about it.

Let's hope the Leafs miss the playoffs and their pick turns out to be another stud.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CamOJonasink. Show CamOJonasink's posts

[QUOTE]I voted x because torontos pick will likely be around the 8 to 10 and PC has alot of prospects coming in next yr to push for a spot. Im thinking PC if he can manage the capspace will go after hemsky because the oilers would love another 1st rd pick.
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]
    Now that is making sense.  Get Penner, if not, get hemsky.  Guarantee you we are all way off and that TOR pick goes somewhere for a player we haven't even discussed.  Who had Peverley on thir radar?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sure when you are disappointed, you will start a thread about how terrible PC for being a smart GM. who is this mystery player thats not available that PC will get?
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

Nope. Im not that type of fan. Im rational, just doing something interactive and fun.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CamOJonasink. Show CamOJonasink's posts

Get rid of this pick.  We'll all be sick when TOR makes the playoffs.  At the very least, there is no way this is going to be a lottery pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]I voted x because torontos pick will likely be around the 8 to 10 and PC has alot of prospects coming in next yr to push for a spot. Im thinking PC if he can manage the capspace will go after hemsky because the oilers would love another 1st rd pick.
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]

IF the pick falls to 8-10 it doesn't have near the value.  So, to get an imapact player a lot more will have to be given.  Therefore I say it won't happen. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pete C will trade the pick at the draft and the constant whiners will complain because the pick will fall between 4-6. Dale Tallon and Steve Tambellini want the pick they will bid for it.

PS. "We'll all be sick when TOR makes the playoffs" Man I love my morning laugh it's better than a triple shot of espresso wakes me right up comical.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Pete C will trade the pick at the draft and the constant whiners will complain because the pick will fall between 4-6. Dale Tallon and Steve Tambellini want the pick they will bid for it. PS. "We'll all be sick when TOR makes the playoffs" Man I love my morning laugh it's better than a triple shot of espresso wakes me right up comical.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

If this happened there would be a frenzy of heads exploding simultaneously by many on this board...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I hope your right X, but I don't think so. Unless someone else is the aggressor. I think PC is honest when he says "were done with major moves."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Part of the problem of trading future comodities for current impact players, is the cap hit of the current impact players.  I can already hear people saying, Ryder's coming off the books which is true but theoretically we have already invested that money into a future with Kaberle.  If the First round pick and Colbourne were sent away for a rental, then that only makes this idea that much worse.  People may bring up the increase in the cap, but generally that increase usually gets accounted for in the raises received by RFAs.  We are currently against the cap and anymore trades will leave us in the cap hell that PC was so attacked for this summer.  At some point you have to ride with what you have.

I'm not saying there is no trade that I would make with this pick, some guys are worth a level of discomfort, such as, Rick Nash, but I don't believe that Penner or Hemsky are anywhere near that valuable and I don't think that a player who is that valuable will become available.

For example in one common theory Brad Richards.  I like him alot, but that starts at this pick and Krejci.  So now your in cap trouble, you lose your future assets, and your upgrading one roster spot.  Could it be worthwhile, sure if a Cup is delivered, else you potentially give away all of the gains made in the Kessel deal, for another player with Concussion history as many posters have mentioned.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Pete C will trade the pick at the draft and the constant whiners will complain because the pick will fall between 4-6. Dale Tallon and Steve Tambellini want the pick they will bid for it. PS. "We'll all be sick when TOR makes the playoffs" Man I love my morning laugh it's better than a triple shot of espresso wakes me right up comical.

but who would PC get that's good enough to justify trading away the Tor. pick? And if it's a guy like Richards wouldn't that also include a major roster player we wouldn't want to give up (i.e. David Krejci?)

I can't imaginw who's available that wouldn't break thru the B's cap ceiling AND be worth  giving up a guy like Krejci AND the potential high draft pick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Part of the problem of trading future comodities for current impact players, is the cap hit of the current impact players.  I can already hear people saying, Ryder's coming off the books which is true but theoretically we have already invested that money into a future with Kaberle.  If the First round pick and Colbourne were sent away for a rental, then that only makes this idea that much worse.  People may bring up the increase in the cap, but generally that increase usually gets accounted for in the raises received by RFAs.  We are currently against the cap and anymore trades will leave us in the cap hell that PC was so attacked for this summer.  At some point you have to ride with what you have. I'm not saying there is no trade that I would make with this pick, some guys are worth a level of discomfort, such as, Rick Nash, but I don't believe that Penner or Hemsky are anywhere near that valuable and I don't think that a player who is that valuable will become available. For example in one common theory Brad Richards.  I like him alot, but that starts at this pick and Krejci.  So now your in cap trouble, you lose your future assets, and your upgrading one roster spot.  Could it be worthwhile, sure if a Cup is delivered, else you potentially give away all of the gains made in the Kessel deal, for another player with Concussion history as many posters have mentioned.
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you are saying but it is only "worse" if Colborne actually becomes a contributing NHL regular or the draft pick pans out. Otherwise, even if our pickups are just rentals it is a wash. In other words, we can only speculate at this point. Not until a few years down the road can there be a proper assessment.

That being said, I still would not waste more resources in acquiring Richards. We have enough centers with concussion issues....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Lets make a bet: TOR #1 pick...Come and Vote!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets make a bet: TOR #1 pick...Come and Vote! : but who would PC get that's good enough to justify trading away the Tor. pick?
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

At the draft ? You'll have to use you imagination on that one TTBI. I'll give you a little push head start. Say Nashville has problems in their negotiations with Shea Weber...Or another GM like Tambellini or Tallon want PCs pick...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets make a bet: TOR #1 pick...Come and Vote! : At the draft ? You'll have to use you imagination on that one TTBI. I'll give you a little push head start. Say Nashville has problems in their negotiations with Shea Weber...Or another GM like Tambellini or Tallon want PCs pick...

At the draft, changes the entire context of the question.  At the draft there are so many possibilities that it would be hard to be definitive one way or the other.  So yes, at the draft I would cetainly be game to some of those possibilities.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

Can we win with what we have??  We have depth.  I"m betting PC stands pat.  And Hnidy is not the answer.  He doesn't have his legs and had rotator cuff problems.....Rivet is a better pick-up than Hnidy and only costs approx $800k. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets make a bet: TOR #1 pick...Come and Vote! : At the draft ? You'll have to use you imagination on that one TTBI. I'll give you a little push head start. Say Nashville has problems in their negotiations with Shea Weber...Or another GM like Tambellini or Tallon want PCs pick...

Had no idea you were talking about the draft! I thought we were still focused on the upcoming trading deadline. Yes, absolutely the Toronto pick should be in play at draft time for players like Weber fer sure!

As for now, I repeat that PC's not going to be able to work much magic b4 2/28 due to the cap, the parity, teams that think they can still make a run at the post-season and won't offer up more than marginal talent, and the fact that guys like Krejci and Marchand would be asked for in return for anyone of major significance along w/the Tor. pick...in which case, i'm fine w/PC staying pat, even if I do believe the B's could use more scoring punch headed into the playoffs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoBojangles. Show MoBojangles's posts

This is all non-sense.  The Bs are up against the cap and would have to trade either of Krecji, Bergeron, Marchand or Lucic with the number one to clear space for salary and get anything in return.

Now who's interested (Me, but only if its Krecji - and we get a #1 center in return.  If its after this playoff round - I'll take a stud winger.

I don't know how else this pipe-dream can possibly happen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I thought this was going to be "guess what # selection the pick will be".  Currently 7th, but tied with the Avs in points, two up on Florida, three up on the Devils, and six up on the Isles.  The Avs are a concern right now, but when Duchene returns, they're a different team.  Florida is up and down, and they might be selling like a bootleg street vendor, but the Devils are making a real push.  So are the Isles if they can get enough goaltending.  I think the Pens game was their version of Boston-Dallas.  It might be wishful thinking, but I'd put the odds of the Leafs dropping down to own the 3rd or 4th pick at 65% or 45%.  Not bad. The longshots?  Well, Edmonton's won 4 of 5 and look like a much different team.  And Ottawa's won two straight thanks largely to Craig Anderson stabilizing their atrocious goaltending.  Alfredsson is likely done for the year - why would they risk his health? - and even though the perception is that they're big sellers, they haven't moved Kovalev, Spezza, Phillips, Gonchar - really, the only core players they moved were the underproducing Fisher and grinder Kelly.  And have you seen this Bobby Butler kid?  Watch highlights of his goal last night.  Ouch. It happens every year that the Leafs put on their tease - they win a few games in a row to keep the blue and white faithful placated, but then they crash and burn again.  Meanwhile other bottom feeders win enough games playing out the string to sink the Leafs ever deeper.  Remember, no one ever went broke betting against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

And Panthers are cleaning house.  Maybe Leafs mve ahead of them now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

B's will keep the pick unless it is for a Nash-type player...it just won't happen...too many peices to move to make it happen and it would kill the team chemistry.
    This pick will be #4 +/- 1, the Leafs have just completed a soft part of their schedule and could not beat the Ile's and barely beat the Sen's...just watch and be patient.
    Doc

Sections
Shortcuts