Lets take a step back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

Lets take a step back

I've read an awful lot of PC bashing the past few days, so, lets assume all the rumors are true. Stuart to CHI for a pick, Wheeler and a 3rd rounder to TOR for Kaberle.

Coming in: Kaberle, Kelly, pick

going out: Stuart, Wheeler, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick (which turns into a 2nd if kaberle re-signs).

This REALLY improves our team without giving up much. We don't give up any of our big name prospects, we keep our best 2nd round pick most likely, we keep both our first round picks. We keep Kampfer, and give up a d-man who was a healthy scratch 8 games in a row. We get a guy who equals Wheelers production (actually a bit better) but adds an element of speed and a great 2-way game. The Bruins add a PMD and PP QB in Kaberle, something they desperately need, with a net loss of one pick. If this happens, hats off to PC on quietly improving the team while protecting his better assets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40YrsNoCup. Show 40YrsNoCup's posts

Re: Lets take a step back

LOL

PC's overpaying for average talent and bungling of the salary cap is exactly what is holding this team back.

No one more Passive and Conservative then ol' Petey

Can't wait until we move on from Chiapet

Enough with the apologist act already

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

TRUE I AGREE WITH YOUR POST WE ARE IMPROVED BUT THIS IS THE YEAR CHIA HAS ALL THE AMMO TO PULL OF A MEGA DEAL THAT WOUULD TELL BS FANS WE ARE GOING FOR IT AND SHOW HE HAS THE GUTS TO MAKE A BIG TIME TRADE LIKE THE CELTS SOX HAVE DONE.....WHY NOT TRY?  WE HAVENT WON NOTHING TO THIS POINT?  ATLEAST HE CAN SAY HE TRIED AND WE FANS CAN LIVE W THAT....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

This is the most likely scenario and one I am most satisfied with...

In Response to Lets take a step back:
    [QUOTE]I've read an awful lot of PC bashing the past few days, so, lets assume all the rumors are true. Stuart to CHI for a pick, Wheeler and a 3rd rounder to TOR for Kaberle. Coming in: Kaberle, Kelly, pick going out: Stuart, Wheeler, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick (which turns into a 2nd if kaberle re-signs). This REALLY improves our team without giving up much. We don't give up any of our big name prospects, we keep our best 2nd round pick most likely, we keep both our first round picks. We keep Kampfer, and give up a d-man who was a healthy scratch 8 games in a row. We get a guy who equals Wheelers production (actually a bit better) but adds an element of speed and a great 2-way game. The Bruins add a PMD and PP QB in Kaberle, something they desperately need, with a net loss of one pick. If this happens, hats off to PC on quietly improving the team while protecting his better assets.
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40YrsNoCup. Show 40YrsNoCup's posts

Chiarelli is great if you want to have good regular seasons or win a round in the playoffs most years

Chiarelli does not have the balls to make the moves to win a cup!

Steady as she goes, play it safe, no risks, loves those third and fourth liners, love those depth moves he is that guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

We have alot of stuff to trade this year. At the same time you have to try to get guys without using thos items you have unless necessary. Does anyone remember when The B's went all out in 1989?? We traded for Dave Poulin, Dave Christian, Brian Propp, and Brian Lawton??? This is what we have to do again. We went all out, and got 4 solid players. Yes we do need a Kaberle. At the same time. Whats the point to get him if we dont have forwards that can put the puck in the net??? I believe this team needs more then just Kaberle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40YrsNoCup. Show 40YrsNoCup's posts

In Response to Re: Lets take a step back:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets take a step back : give me one example in the salary cap era where a big move at the deadline led to the cup

Give me one example why you think Chiarelli is a GM who can lead a team to a Cup

You are nothing more then a pom pom waver, you know it and everyone else knows it too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

[QUOTE]how did that work out in 89?

Not sure if it was 89. But I do know we went to the finals. We passed the first round.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

If these deals go through I think he's done a good job..Pulling off the mega deal everyone seems to want would be too difficult. Obviously you have the 2 #1's to dangle but salary would have to go the other way in order for it to happen.Wheeler ,Ryder and Stuart might not be what the other team wants..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Where's Penner ?  and I want Paulica1975 to post more !!!  nice pic !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]I've read an awful lot of PC bashing the past few days, so, lets assume all the rumors are true. Stuart to CHI for a pick, Wheeler and a 3rd rounder to TOR for Kaberle. Coming in: Kaberle, Kelly, pick going out: Stuart, Wheeler, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick (which turns into a 2nd if kaberle re-signs). This REALLY improves our team without giving up much. We don't give up any of our big name prospects, we keep our best 2nd round pick most likely, we keep both our first round picks. We keep Kampfer, and give up a d-man who was a healthy scratch 8 games in a row. We get a guy who equals Wheelers production (actually a bit better) but adds an element of speed and a great 2-way game. The Bruins add a PMD and PP QB in Kaberle, something they desperately need, with a net loss of one pick. If this happens, hats off to PC on quietly improving the team while protecting his better assets.

Smartest post I've seen in days, even though I don't think Kaberle is the optimal pickup for us and I don't want to see Stuart leave (I hope I'm wrong on both counts).  If, if, IF these are the deals in place, then Chiarelli has bettered the team without sacrificing a very promising future and I like the Kelly deal if he's just a piece of the puzzle going forward.  It all comes down to which team plays the best heading into the playoffs and in the playoffs.  If Chiarelli makes these deals before the deadline and the team gels, who knows - I'm open to celebrating!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

relax what has any of the other 29 teams done so far  fisher versteeg  who cares not exactly better than what we already have we need health

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgower18. Show jgower18's posts

Sorry, Reading and listening to these guys on TSN and NHL Network, there are NO mega-deals to be made. Too many teams still think they have a shot at the playoffs. The salary cap has done 2 things: Parity (everyone thinks they have a chance) and no major trades at the deadline. There is no comparision to what was available pre-cap.
    Iginla, Nash, these guys aren't going to be traded..Richards is concussed now, we have enough of that already...Face it, Chiarelli is doing a good job with what's out there and available. Let me have some names for him to get if you know of any....especially those superstars..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

That's fine, and I agree w/your assessment if this is what comes to pass (and it seems likely)...BUT will you AT LEAST admit that these moves will NOT result in a Stanley Cup this year--and are more likely to mean yet another 2nd round playoff ouster?

Kaberle and Kelly are NOT game-changers. They will NOT put fear into the Flyers, TB, Habs, Caps or even the NYR--all teams the Bruins would have trouble defeating in a 7-game series.

The Bruins' loss of Savard--or the Savard he was starting to become (i.e. his old self) is not addressed or substituted by adding Kelly. And while Kaberle upgrades the offensive capabilities on the blue line, he's no Mike Green or Chris Pronger or Dustin Byfulien or Nick Lidstrom or Doughty or Seabrook or on and on and on.

He's a 30-something year old guy who can QB a PP better than anyone the B's have now BUT is not going to suddenly change the B's PP into a powerhouse....those issues go well beyond a PMD.

Look: Long=term, the scenario you laid out is hard to argue with. You're right that in giving up Wheeler the B's give up NOTHING. He's utterly worthless and anything we can get back for him is gravy. As long as we don't give up the Toronto pick for Kaberle, fine. And since Stuart is a stay at home Dman and we have more than enough of those, it doesn;t really hurt either to send him off for a  draft pick.

But for the love of Orr PLEASE don't tell me that if by 2/28 the Bruins have added Kaberle and Kelly and a future draft pick that it will do anything to help the team in this year's post-season....b/c that's just delusional.

Unless we snag Brad Richards (and HIM I would give up the Toronto pick for in a second) then the B's are 2nd round dog meat yet again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I'd be happy with this.  Both Wheeler and Stuart have shown what they are and, I think, what they will be.  We can part with them for a chance to improve in the now.  Future still looks good with this move.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]LOL PC's overpaying for average talent and bungling of the salary cap is exactly what is holding this team back. No one more Passive and Conservative then ol' Petey Can't wait until we move on from Chiapet Enough with the apologist act already
    Posted by 40YrsNoCup[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree more.  Listen, PB37 is finally right on something, if indeed the deals he quotes go through, not bad at all for this deadline (even though I'd be shocked if we only gave a 3rd for kabs).  The problem is what 40 yrs says, 4 years of passive Pete picking and sticking to his passive coach, and passive players. We have a good team, but that's it, why?  We only have good players, not great.  PC hands out contract after contract to mediocore guys who can play a checking role and over pays them.  In turn, we have very little legit top end talent on this team.  Seguin has it, and now he's going to sit despite playing better, because he lacks "jam" "2way" "PK" "responsibility in his own zone", only problem is our forwards have that but not what Seguin brings (and other guys PC should target bring) which is speed, skill, play making, shooters, who can put the puck in the net and create offense.  Who's that guy on this team?   Bergy?  Sort f Krejci?  I'd rather take my chances with the sedins, toews/kane, stamkos/st louis, 9 philly forwards, datsyuk/zett, Ovie/backstrom, etc. 

I don't think we're far off at all, I just wish we could get rid of higher priced mediocore forwards and get a stud in there, along with a guy or 2 who can push the tempo from the back end.  We have a very good team.  We should be using the cheap guys like marchand, recchi, and quaider to our advantage of being so cheap and lose some of the overpaid depth guys so we can get a few top guys. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I've read a lot of BS the past few days about Kaberle coming to town. You so called experts on this board are a bunch of morons. Kaberle was never coming here period. Enough of the fire this person trade this person talk. Enjoy the season, we have a pretty darn good team

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

PB37 is the ultimate blind faith pom pom waiver, totally agree 40 yrs.  Atleast see it both ways, fine maybe a deadline blockbuster deal isnt the answer, or worth it on this team.  But dont tell me this bruins team as constructed is the answer to our cup hopes.  Good team, a little better than middling, not gonna go through philly then anyone in the west as constructed and most likely not with only kaberle.

Then you go and say all those trades in 89 didnt get us the cup.  Those late 80s, early 90s teams would bury these bruins.  So you need to chose, wait on a cup and dont make big trades, or go after for a chance.  Neither is right or wrong in my opinion, but you can't habe your cake and eat it too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's stupid to say the Bruins won't win the cup.  It's stupid to say they will.  You never know what will happen in the playoffs.  Anyone who predicted a Flyers-Canadiens conference final last year, please step forward.  These proposed moves do not give the Bruins a championship.  No moves give any team the championship.  But the Bruins are a good team, have a shot at winning, and management is making moves to give them a better shot.  That's all you can ask.  Then you just enjoy the games and see how it plays out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Lets take a step back:[QUOTE]In Response to Lets take a step back : They will NOT put fear into the Flyers, TB, Habs, Caps or even the NYR--all teams the Bruins would have trouble defeating in a 7-game series.  Unless we snag Brad Richards (and HIM I would give up the Toronto pick for in a second) then the B's are 2nd round dog meat yet again. Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

I'm going to hold you to the Bruins not being able to beat the Lightning, Habs, Caps and Rangers in a seven game series. Tampa's and the Caps goaltending would not hold up against the the Bruins no way in hell. The Canadiens defense is suspect they just traded for ol used up Paul Mara the bigger Bruins forwards would bang the Habs into submission not even close wouldn't get past five games.

The Rangers with all their starters back are bearly hanging onto their playoff spot Lunqvist has been called out by Torts all season long not scared at all. Flyers different story they are my favorites to win it all but goaltending experience in the playoffs still suspect as their netminders don't have much.

Richards is injured right now and there is a small chance Dallas makes the playoffs. If Brad were available LeBrun and Burnside had discussed on ESPN today that Nieuwendyk would have only one team to turn to Boston and it isn't the 27th yet.

PAULICAS1975, Those trades were not in the cap era so you can't compare plus back then the Bruins had a small arena and weren't allowed to resign many of those late season acquisitions. Most of those players mentioned were roll players not big time guns like Richards.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TommyCrockett. Show TommyCrockett's posts

Kelly and Kaberle would be great additions to the line up and the B's wouldn't have to mortgage the future to get them...look at the years that the Red wings won the cups..they only added depth players and 3rd liners at the deadline

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Kelly and Kaberle would be great additions to the line up and the B's wouldn't have to mortgage the future to get them...look at the years that the Red wings won the cups..they only added depth players and 3rd liners at the deadline
    Posted by TommyCrockett[/QUOTE]

oh look what we have here!!  A blind red wing apologist!!
    You pom pom wavers are all alike!!
    No cup in three years.  NOT ACCEPTABLE.

signed: NoCupIn3Years.

note:
    It was sarcasm

note for those that don't get it:
    Certain "fans" love to beech for the sake of beeching and like to be annoying.

note for certain "fans":
    The Bruins and their mgmnt are the greatest things on earth.
    The Bruins and their mgmnt are the worst things on earth.
    Blanket statements such as these are equally idiotic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets take a step back : I'm going to hold you to the Bruins not being able to beat the Lightning, Habs, Caps and Rangers in a seven game series. Tampa's and the Caps goaltending would not hold up against the the Bruins no way in hell. The Canadiens defense is suspect they just traded for ol used up Paul Mara the bigger Bruins forwards would bang the Habs into submission not even close wouldn't get past five games. The Rangers with all their starters back are bearly hanging onto their playoff spot Lunqvist has been called out by Torts all season long not scared at all. Flyers different story they are my favorites to win it all but goaltending experience in the playoffs still suspect as their netminders don't have much. Richards is injured right now and there is a small chance Dallas makes the playoffs. If Brad were available LeBrun and Burnside had discussed on ESPN today that Nieuwendyk would have only one team to turn to Boston and it isn't the 27th yet. PAULICAS1975, Those trades were not in the cap era so you can't compare plus back then the Bruins had a small arena and weren't allowed to resign many of those late season acquisitions. Most of those players mentioned were roll players not big time guns like Richards.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Maybe you're right, SD....and by all means save this exchange so you can tell me "toldja so" when the Bruins make the Conference Finals (no sarcasm here--I'm quite serious and would love to be wrong.)

My suspicion is a lot of people look at last year;s crazy playoff run w/Flyers and Habs going Conf. Finals and feel it shall always be thus (i.e. unpredictable; just make the playoffs and your shot is as good as anyone's)....but my feeling is it's more often just as it seems: the teams loaded w/the best talent will win over a 7game series.

(Cue the automatic 'what about the Caps?' reply here; but I guarantee you once the playoffs start Ovie/Semin/Green/Knuble & Co. will be making mincemeat of lesser opponents...we shall see.)

TB has upgraded in goal with Rolo....enuff to win it all? Probly not, but given their un-real offensive lineup, do you really think all else would be equal w/what the Bruins have on offense that it would come down to Rolo being the weak link?
    I have my doubts.

As for the Habs, until and unless the bruins can figure out how to deal w/their team speed, I see another heartbreaking Game 7 loss looming (in the playoff you can't fight your way to a win like in that 8-6 game.)

Lunqvist will get hot in the playoffs--Gaborik is a phenomenal talent on a dry run right now but will explose soon and the Rangers key returning guys are going to heat up as well over the next 3 weeks as they get their games back. Philly? I agree-much as I hate to admit b/c I hate the team--they are unstoppable this year.

My overall point about talent being the ultimate factor is best shown by what's happened to the Penguins w/out Crosby and Malkin. Their 2 best players go down and w/out them they look suddenly very ordinary. Well, the Bruins lost a guy who was working his way back to being their premier PPergame player and made their PP work. Now he's gone and what we're left w/is a replacement who's a nice 2way player but a perennial 12-15 goal a year guy; aint gonna cut it. We have guys like Ryder who show up every 3rd night or so--aint gonna cut it....and until we get that PMD, it's a very slow if stead D-corps back their. Again: aint gonna cut it.

but as always--hoping you're right and I'm just a pessimist who can't let himself dream the big dream for the Bruins!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Understood TTBI but now way does Varlamov or Roloson outduel Thomas sorry. Rangers and Flyers do worry me becuase they are deep but like you said we'll see. I don't do pat myself on the back "You heard it here first" posts not my mo. I leave that up too Ipot he's very proud of himself LoL! Cool

Sections
Shortcuts