Let's Talk 7th Player Again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Let's Talk 7th Player Again.

I've put a lot of thought into this lately.  The 7th Player used to go to the guy who exceeded expectations.  These days it seems it is more geared toward young guys who have a good season.

I don't want it to go to Smith.  He's been in the TANK lately.  I don't want it to go to Krug.  His defense hasn't been where it needs to be.

That leaves Soderberg and Rask.  Say what you will about Rask, this is his first full season and he's a freakin' brick wall.  No one, not even Shupe, could have expected this.  Soderberg, nothing more than a name for years, is performing a heck of a lot better than I ever expected from him.  I can't imagine how many times I told people that the one-eyed Swede will never make it to the NHL. 

I would also put Iginla in the voting.  Yeah, he's been a star for his whole career, but if I told you he was going to show up and probably finish with 30+ goals, everyone not named Shupe would say somthing like, "Yeah, that would be great, but he's getting on in age.  I'll be happy with 20."

Just because a guy is awesome, it doesn't mean he wouldn't be thrilled with the award.  I bet winning the 7th Player in Boston would be one of Iginla's favorite hockey moments.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Let's Talk 7th Player Again.

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've put a lot of thought into this lately.  The 7th Player used to go to the guy who exceeded expectations.  These days it seems it is more geared toward young guys who have a good season.

I don't want it to go to Smith.  He's been in the TANK lately.  I don't want it to go to Krug.  His defense hasn't been where it needs to be.

That leaves Soderberg and Rask.  Say what you will about Rask, this is his first full season and he's a freakin' brick wall.  No one, not even Shupe, could have expected this.  Soderberg, nothing more than a name for years, is performing a heck of a lot better than I ever expected from him.  I can't imagine how many times I told people that the one-eyed Swede will never make it to the NHL. 

I would also put Iginla in the voting.  Yeah, he's been a star for his whole career, but if I told you he was going to show up and probably finish with 30+ goals, everyone not named Shupe would say somthing like, "Yeah, that would be great, but he's getting on in age.  I'll be happy with 20."

Just because a guy is awesome, it doesn't mean he wouldn't be thrilled with the award.  I bet winning the 7th Player in Boston would be one of Iginla's favorite hockey moments.

[/QUOTE]

I'd have no issue with any of these 3 winning it! Iginla would be a nice. I expected him to do decent & help the team, but I never expected him to be fighting for the team lead in goals. I thought that would go to Marchand, Eriksson, or Lucic. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The 7th player award is for the player that exeeds expectations,right? If so, the 3 players you have mentioned Nas are the leading candidates in my mind as well.Smith led early and has faded a bit but has still been a big surprise,Krug has had an offensively good,defensively so so season and the remaining three have been consistently good,Soderburg moreso since he was moved to center.Jarome i would say is just continuing to do what he has done his entire career,a true professional and i can honestly say i thought he would get at least 20 gls,now its looking more like 30+.

In the end i am picking Tuukka,even though he took the team to the Cup finals last year it was a shortened season and i'm sure most B's fans were wondering about him being the guy for a full 82 game season.He had just signed the big contract before the season and had all the pressure that it brings.In my view he has met the challenge and exceeded it to the point he is a leading candidate for the Vezina and in the top 4 in most goaltending categories.He has baled the defence out on numerous occasions and leads the league in shutouts,in the end he is my pick for the 7th player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Lots of guys exceeding expectations.  This is a good thing.  Hopefully we see a few more guys force their names into the ring.

Who would have thought Miller would be a repectable NHL regular?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Doesn't this season remind you of the 2011 playoffs, where everyone pitched in and provided something at different times and there was always someone that did something. They always battled.

Does the coaching staff get any consideration?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I'm voting for the Yeti.

I like the arguments for Rask and Iginla but by the definition for the award I think Soderberg is the better fit. In fact, I think Iginla will win it.

Not that I thinkk he should win it but Reach Around deserves some love on this topic too. 15-3-1, 8-0 at home. 2.14 GAA and a .921 save %. Not too shabby. But as a backup weirdo he just doesn't play enough for this award.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The key is exceeding expectation.  Who has done that "most"?.

Rask was supposed to take over from a Vezina winning goalie, and do it seamlessly.  That's huge expectation.  He's done that, and he's paid to do that.  Kudos to Rask, but that excludes him from this category.  There's a bigger prize for him on the horizon. 

Iginla has a great amount of expectation following him around too.  How many were flipping out, when he kind of came out of the gate slow.  One wouldn't have to dig too deep to find a pocket of knowledgable hockey people seeing the possibility of him scoring 25 with his linemates this year.  Yeah, he's been better, but he's supposed to score.  Scratch him too.

Soderberg had ridiculous expectation in many corners, simply because he's been talked about as a potential high-ender for years.  That's not his fault, but it is reality, and the "expectation" card is fundamental on this one.  Nope, he doesn't fit.

All 3 of these guys have had great seasons, but there's a lot of expectation following them.  I won't ever argue they've over-performed, just the distance they've travelled from that expectation.  I don't think this award is meant for the Iginlas or Rasks of the NHL either, regardless how well they do.

Krug's defense isn't where it needs to be, and considering his size, I doubt it'll ever be his forte.  I don't think he's been worse than expected defensively, but he's been better than advertised offensively.  I think he's a little further above expectation than Rask and Iginla, considering there should be a huge disparity in where each players baseline exists.  He's also more fitting considering the spirit of the award.  I think he's got to be scratched off the list too though.

I don't disagree that Smith has fallen off.  Thing is though, where was that expectation last October?  If he doesn't score again, IMO he's hands down.

I believe most fans, and Bruin brass, would've been ecstatic if someone said Reilly Smith will win a regular roster spot, score 6 or 7, and not kill the team defensively.  I think Bruins nation would have been absolutely thrilled with that. 

He's a long, long way past that.  Played every game.  Excelled within Juliens system, plus 20, scared 20 goals and 50 points, and in an instance or two,  was condsidered one of the evenings best Bruins .  That's as far beyond expectation as Iginla netting 50 or Rask putting up a 1.40 gaa

Finally, the spirit of the award is more aimed to the unsung hero, as opposed to the star that shone a little brighter than expected.  I don't see this trophy belonging in Bobby Orr's house, and based on the logic of the OP, he or Esposito should have won it virtually every year they were here.  Breaking league records is pretty much the pinnacle of over achievement.  This award  isn't meant to be another piece of hardware for the big dogs though.  Rather, an award the everyday players can get a crack at.

Reilly Smith could still turn out to be a guy who scores 6 or 7 a year.  He may still turn out to be a guy that struggles to find regular NHL employment.  He may be a one shot flash in the pan.  But that has nothing to do with this award.  This year, his contribution, compared to expectation, is off the charts.  Seems to perfectly fit the spirit of a 7th player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Meh, it's Smith>Krug>Soderberg> everyone else.  Rask has been amazing, but I thought he was amazing in last year's playoffs so I was already expecting big things.  He's also been real good for years even if he had to sit behind Thomas.  Iginla has done exactly as I expected, and his scoring is very much in tune with his projections from the last few years.  Soderberg has definitely been impressive, but less so than Smith (even if the last few weeks he has been more productive) and he arrived with the expectations of a scorer having lead the SEL in goals.

For me it's Krug with a solid challenge for having a very strong season, but he falls a little short in part because expecations were raised after playing a regular shift in the playoffs last year.

Smith has had a true breakout season to establish himself as a clear 20+ goal, 50+ point guy.  That's a remarkable jump in play and few people even knew who he was before he was traded.  He wins the award as much for his complete lack of expectations heading into the sesson as for his very strong play this year.

Also, I don't really think he's playing bad lately, only that he's not getting results.  He still looks highly skilled, smart and competitive.  I see his production rising modestly in future seasons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from btrentor. Show btrentor's posts

It should go to the rookie no one knew about thrown into a high profile trade, and ending up scoring 20+ goals on the second line of a team challenging for the presidents trophy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

The award was never intended for the highest paid players, on the team. Those guys are supposed to produce. The award is for the player that came out of nowhere, and performed well above his pay scale.

My choices, in order, for this year's winner, are...

Chad Johnson-15 wins in 19 games and a .921 save % is a lot of bang for the buck. He had 3 career wins before this season, and seems to be getting better and more confident.

Reilly Smith-Has been the sole reason I am not having nitemares about the Seguin trade. For that reason alone, I would not have a problem with him winning the award.

Torey Krug-Anytime a defenceman has a rookie season that includes out-scoring Orr & Bourque in their rookie seasons, makes him a over-achiever.

Kevan Miller-Has been so steady since he arrived, I think we are all taking him for granted, but as a defensive d-man, he has done everything the Bruins could have hoped for.

Carl Soderberg-The best player in this group, but I don't think that surprises anyone, and those expectations probably make him a longshot for the award.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good argument for Smith, and I agree, although I wouldn't be upset or surprised by a Soderberg or Krug win here. I also think Johnson, who I really, really didn't like out of camp, deserves an also-ran since he has been a very good backup.

I'm not sure Krug's playoff performance last year set expectations for him per se, as I heard a lot of talking heads say he'd have to show it through a long season. I think he has, and while he needs to improve defensively, it's not like he has been horrid.

With Smith, you're talking about a guy for whom there were NO expectations coming in, nobody knew this kid before the trade, so you can really say he came out of nowhere. Smith has played every game, plays on the second line of one of the best teams in the NHL, and is 5th on the team in goals and points scored. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

For me, its a toss up between Smith and Soderberg.  Id prefer Soderberg get it, but i wouldnt lose any sleep over Smith winning it.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lots of guys exceeding expectations.  This is a good thing.  Hopefully we see a few more guys force their names into the ring.

Who would have thought Miller would be a repectable NHL regular?

[/QUOTE]

That an interesting choice.  I certainly wouldnt argue if he (or Krug) won either.  Never would have expected Miller to be playing this much and with as much consistency.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I think bigskye does a pretty good review.  Seems to be very little disagreement on what these players bring to the table, just some different interpretations on the metrics of the award.

I agree with the notion that Soderbergs been the best of those 5, but I'm just reminded of all the hoopla he's been a part of for the last few years.  He's been touted as a franchise guy, but admittedly more so by the casuals and the PR types,  than the real knowledgable hockey fans.

This award isn't decided by the experts, so it'll probably be heavily influenced by a statistic fans can hang their hat on.  I'm not sure a downtown billboard stating Krug has outscored Orr and Bourque in their rookie year, wouldn't unfairly turn it into a landslide.  

Anyway, it's great to have some debateable competition.  I just hope it doesn't go to one of the star players.  Don't think it's meant to go down that way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

For me, It's Soderberg hands down. Literally every game I see this guy make plays on an extremely high level almost dare I say elite level. The play he made on the Kelly goal the other night was as good as it gets, and he's doing these things on a regular basis these days...unreal

I never expected to see Smith get 20, and I like the way he plays the game.

Soderberg is on his way to becoming a star in this league - now that's exceeding expectations

My buddy has anointed him as  - The Blind Swede

Not the coolest nickname, but we get it

Thrilled with Miller and Soderberg

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Torey Krug for the win. A full season of consistency needs to be looked at. Krug has it over the others. Also remember who is voting...the fans so popularity will help decide the outcome.

Bruins college defenseman rule!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I would exclude Iginla and Rask because they are playing the way I expected.  So my nominees would be Johnson, Krug, Miller, Soderberg and Smith.  The best player of the bunch is Soderberg however, my expectations were higher for him and Krug.  I would have to go with Smith because I wasn't even sure he would land a fulltime job in Boston.  He went from an unknown throw-in in the Seguin/Eriksson trade to being a second line player who'll probably end the season a 20 goal scorer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

I'm not just trying to be different but after Campbell injury so late in last year with the broken leg and with what he gives this team on a nightly basis. Even outside of the hype around the melot line or best 4 th line talk. Campbell helps this team in a lot of areas. just thinking outside the box But Krug soderberg and smith are probabley better candidates.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Im convinced steve and book are the same person.   

As for NAS.  I think we all knew Rask would put up great numbers but would have no issues with him winning.   But for me its Iggy.  He came here and has been all business.  Hes gonna lead the team in goals.   It would also be a great way for the fans to let him hear it and possible get some edge in resigning him.  Hes not slowing down.  Hes perfect.  30 goals.  Ho-hum.  Yeah no problem.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As for NAS.  I think we all knew Rask would put up great numbers but would have no issues with him winning.   But for me its Iggy.  He came here and has been all business.  Hes gonna lead the team in goals.   It would also be a great way for the fans to let him hear it and possible get some edge in resigning him.  Hes not slowing down.  Hes perfect.  30 goals.  Ho-hum.  Yeah no problem.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but, didn't you expect this from Iginla?  The last time he didn't reach 30 goals was in 2000.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Johnson exceeded my expectations, I would guess most others, but I can't see fans voting for the back up goalie. Smith had the one big month but has come down to earth.Still didnt expect him to thave that big month, not sure how many people had him pegged to make the team..I expect Rask to play like he has, thats why he's one of the best.

I would love to see Paille win it. He's been steady as she goes since he got here. Doesnt meet the criteria I know, but when PC traded for him years back, how many people thought he'd be as valuable as he has for this long?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

1) chad johnson 2) reilly smith 3) carl soderberg 4) torey krug 5) kevan miller... this speaks volumes as to why the bruins have had the success they've had this season. lot's of players in the running for "performing above and beyond expectations". love it 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but, didn't you expect this from Iginla?  The last time he didn't reach 30 goals was in 2000.

[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Whats the criteria for winning the award?   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Johnson exceeded my expectations, I would guess most others, but I can't see fans voting for the back up goalie. Smith had the one big month but has come down to earth.Still didnt expect him to thave that big month, not sure how many people had him pegged to make the team..I expect Rask to play like he has, thats why he's one of the best.

I would love to see Paille win it. He's been steady as she goes since he got here. Doesnt meet the criteria I know, but when PC traded for him years back, how many people thought he'd be as valuable as he has for this long?

[/QUOTE]

Nine goals in 10 games.

10 goals in the other 59.

7th Player of the Month Award

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Whats the criteria for winning the award?   

[/QUOTE]

It's for a player who exceeded expectations.

Sections
Shortcuts