Life without hockey... fun things to amuse yourself

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Life without hockey... fun things to amuse yourself

1) It's a good time of the year to buy hockey stuff.  Pure hockey is having its tent sale right now.  I just dropped a fortune ($450, $487 with tax) on 2 of Cody Hodgson's sticks.  Interesting, he has the curve I like (Bauer pattern 88), but the blade is a bit longer and wider.  The sales rep says Bauer discussed that particular stick with him, Hodgson wanted a wider blade to be able to deflect and knock down more pucks.  At $150 a stick, that was a bargain.  I already had 2 Vapors so I figure to be set for sticks for years to come.

2) Sitting around on your porch evening and morning and being a deadly threat to mosquitos.  This is the weapon of choice:

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Creations-JB5285-Electronic-Zapper/dp/B000EPPFEC

I have 3 of them.  Great product.  make sure to get a really powerful one with 9v or d battery.  The early ones just stunned the mosquitoes and would knock them out.  They would wake up after an hour or so.

3).  Sitting around on your porch evening and morning and being a deadly threat to flies. I'm thinking of getting this baby.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB88UDA/sr=8-1/qid=1406906378/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1406906378&sr=8-1

Lots of money for a toy, but it sure looks like fun.  Anybody have one of these yet?

4) Watch a Rangers Flyers game on the NHL network.  Ugh.  Not another Rangers Flyers game.

5) idea.  Anybody have a schedule of NESN Bruins replays?  We could all treat it like a real game and have a GDT and everything.

Ideas please.  private email me with your favorite free adult only web sites.  Or other ideas about booze and/or sex.  To prove myself as nuts as Stanley I will include my real email address
    IamWickedBoredWithoutBruinsNew@WickedWickedBored.com 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Life without hockey... fun things to amuse yourself

You're on crack if you're spending that dough on sticks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where have you been?  Sticks cost a bundle nowadays.  The cheaper composites are horrible, I can't feel the puck at all with them.  $150 is a bargain for a top of the line stick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

And $150 will buy a lot of crack BHab. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

[QUOTE]

Where have you been?  Sticks cost a bundle nowadays.  The cheaper composites are horrible, I can't feel the puck at all with them.  $150 is a bargain for a top of the line stick.

[/QUOTE]
    I HAVE MOVED TO CAPE CORAL FL. after 52 years in Boston.  No body cares about hockey hear.  NO ONE. I COME ON HERE AND I GET SET UPON BY THE ..........................................fill in the blank!  HOW IS MY PUNCTUATION?  GEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ  JUST SO NOT NESCCESARY

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Other "life without hockey" topics for the summer...

"The PGA Tour has suspended Dustin Johnson for six months after he tested positive for cocaine, according to a report on Golf.com. Citing a source, Golf.com reported that Johnson has failed three drug tests -- two for cocaine (in 2014 and 2012) and one for marijuana (2009).

Johnson, 30, was suspended for the 2012 failed test, Golf.com reported, but that suspension was never made public. Under its guidelines, the PGA Tour is not required to announce any disciplinary actions against players who test positive for recreational drugs."

Hilarious internet comments ensue...

"I think I found my partner for my next golf outing ~ Jim Irsay"

"That's one way to speed up pace of play on the tour"

"An unidentified Canadian mayor just singed on to go pro...."

"this guy wont sniff the course for a while"

"Now we know what put the "dust" in "Dustin."

"Breaking news: cocaine pro Dustin Johnson admits to having a golf problem."

"Share a Coke with Dustin"

"I will gladly sign up for 6 months unpaid suspension, if I can also do lines off Paulina Gretzky."

"Meanwhile John Daly is passed out in a sand trap on the 8th of Torrey Pines."

"Sunday leads at majors aren't the only thing I blow ~ - Dustin Johnson"

"DJ: Paulina isn't the only thing that blows..."

"Dustin Johnson sets a record for playing a full 18 holes in 33 minutes with no cart"

"Always wondered why he used an "8" ball"

"DJ's favorite technique around the greens: bump and run"

"Golfers get tested for drugs?!"

Wayne Gretzky has no comment I assume.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I remember when George Carlin came up for an idea for cockroach spray. It didn't kill them, it just filled them with self doubt as to whether they are in the right house.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Here I am trying to start an honest to goodness thread and all you rascals start acting up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have a cat? On purpose? Fletch....I'm disappointed...be a man. Get a dog. :P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have a cat? On purpose? Fletch....I'm disappointed...be a man. Get a dog. :P

[/QUOTE]

That was a "Ralph Wiggumism".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can spend tons of money on a stick, but why would you?  I've been playing with wood sticks all my life (except that tiny period when we thought aluminum was the way to go) and I have no interest in changing.  Sure, it may be lighter, but a good wood stick with a good curve is $40.  Your stupid sticks are $450?   I'll take the heavier stick and the heavier wallet over the lighter stick and the lighter wallet.

What does the extra $400 that stick costs produce?  How much more enjoyment do you get from playing hockey because you're using that stick?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yeah, you can spend tons of money on a stick, but why would you?  I've been playing with wood sticks all my life (except that tiny period when we thought aluminum was the way to go) and I have no interest in changing.  Sure, it may be lighter, but a good wood stick with a good curve is $40.  Your stupid sticks are $450?   I'll take the heavier stick and the heavier wallet over the lighter stick and the lighter wallet.

What does the extra $400 that stick costs produce?  How much more enjoyment do you get from playing hockey because you're using that stick?  

I got 3 of them for that price. so the difference is #110.

Because wood sticks are hard to find.

Because I easily (typically)  would go through 6 wood sticks a year ($240) and I can get a year out of one composite stick ($150).  

Less time taping up sticks.  I like the tacki mak knobs and the 'bladetape' product, both would be too expensive for the quantity of wood sticks I'd use.

If I really wanted to keep costs down, the shaft/blade combination would be the way to go, but those are getting a little hard to find.

Because the composites are nice, not that much nicer, but nicer.  At my age I want every advantage I can get.

There is more consistency in composite sticks than there is wood.

And at my age I've found it very difficult to get used to a new product.  It took me years to fin the stiffness and curve I like.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

When my eldest son still played hockey a few years back it was almost impossible to find good quality wooden sticks....the world seemed to have gone entirely composite. Not that he wanted the "tooth picks" anyway....that was considered old school lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I remember when George Carlin came up for an idea for cockroach spray. It didn't kill them, it just filled them with self doubt as to whether they are in the right house.

Extistential despair! Carlin was the master at making mundane happenings hilarious. A keen observer of the ironic things in daily life. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Two seconds and google produced this:

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Sher-Wood_2013_5030_Wood_Stick_SENIOR/itm/1111-41/?dummy=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJOLxrBKrt25LEuPimRoo8zuL8WMRy6eOk38cpx1ACS8aAv5i8P8HAQ" rel="nofollow">http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Sher-Wood_2013_5030_Wood_Stick_SENIOR/itm/1111-41/?dummy=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJOLxrBKrt25LEuPimRoo8zuL8WMRy6eOk38cpx1ACS8aAv5i8P8HAQ

What's that?  A $40 wooden stick.

Paying that much more to play in beer league hockey is absurd.  How much of an advantage do you think the composite stick gives you?   If we're talking about a goal a game, then I may agree.  I also may say it's all in your head at that point.

How did you break so many wooden sticks?  I used to have the same two for a full season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Sher-Wood_2013_5030_Wood_Stick_SENIOR/itm/1111-41/?dummy=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJOLxrBKrt25LEuPimRoo8zuL8WMRy6eOk38cpx1ACS8aAv5i8P8HAQ" rel="nofollow">http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Sher-Wood_2013_5030_Wood_Stick_SENIOR/itm/1111-41/?dummy=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJOLxrBKrt25LEuPimRoo8zuL8WMRy6eOk38cpx1ACS8aAv5i8P8HAQ" rel="nofollow">http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Sher-Wood_2013_5030_Wood_Stick_SENIOR/itm/1111-41/?dummy=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJOLxrBKrt25LEuPimRoo8zuL8WMRy6eOk38cpx1ACS8aAv5i8P8HAQ

Paying that much more to play in beer league hockey is absurd.  How much of an advantage do you think the composite stick gives you?   If we're talking about a goal a game, then I may agree.  I also may say it's all in your head at that point.

How did you break so many wooden sticks?  I used to have the same two for a full season.

[/QUOTE]

I get a kick out of the beer league all-stars. Played against a guy who had the tinted visor, as usual he was terrible. It was about 7 years ago when I was playing and I remember telling myself that if he scored on me I would quit hockey right then and there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Sher-Wood_2013_5030_Wood_Stick_SENIOR/itm/1111-41/?dummy=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJOLxrBKrt25LEuPimRoo8zuL8WMRy6eOk38cpx1ACS8aAv5i8P8HAQ" rel="nofollow">http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Sher-Wood_2013_5030_Wood_Stick_SENIOR/itm/1111-41/?dummy=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJOLxrBKrt25LEuPimRoo8zuL8WMRy6eOk38cpx1ACS8aAv5i8P8HAQ" rel="nofollow">http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Sher-Wood_2013_5030_Wood_Stick_SENIOR/itm/1111-41/?dummy=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmPKeBRCj4bOro6nBitABEiQABa2FJOLxrBKrt25LEuPimRoo8zuL8WMRy6eOk38cpx1ACS8aAv5i8P8HAQ

[/QUOTE]

I think it might depend on how many slapshots you take and how much of a hacker you are.  I've never in my life gotten that kind of distance out of wood.  I'm fussy about all my stuff, but skates #1 and sticks #2.

I shoot significantly better with the better stick, as for goals, I don't even care in beer league.  I would rather get off a get shot and have the goalie save rather than punch in garbage.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

I think it might depend on how many slapshots you take and how much of a hacker you are.  I've never in my life gotten that kind of distance out of wood.  I'm fussy about all my stuff, but skates #1 and sticks #2.

I shoot significantly better with the better stick, as for goals, I don't even care in beer league.  I would rather get off a get shot and have the goalie save rather than punch in garbage.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, if you're going to fail, you might as well look good doing it. 

You're too much, BHab.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey, if you're going to fail, you might as well look good doing it. 

You're too much, BHab.

[/QUOTE]

No, you're missing my point entirely.  I would rather play well rather than score garbage goals.

Not a single person I play with out of all my pickup games uses a wood stick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"BadHab doesn't know that we've switched his $150 composite stick for Folgers Crystals...let's watch!"

I suppose you'd notice the weight right away, so it's not like you could switch a guy's stick and he'd go out, have a good game, and after the fact you could say "ha-HA!" but I do think more guys in beer leagues should try to play with the wooden sticks.  I like the extra weight, and I like the feel for everything but shots.  But then I'm on the ice so rarely, it doesn't matter.

Are you not entertained?!?!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"BadHab doesn't know that we've switched his $150 composite stick for Folgers Crystals...let's watch!"

I suppose you'd notice the weight right away, so it's not like you could switch a guy's stick and he'd go out, have a good game, and after the fact you could say "ha-HA!" but I do think more guys in beer leagues should try to play with the wooden sticks.  I like the extra weight, and I like the feel for everything but shots.  But then I'm on the ice so rarely, it doesn't matter.

[/QUOTE]

The SNL skit with Chris Farley where they switched out his coffee is one of my all-time favorites.

I have grudgingly made the switch to composite sticks, but cheap ones.  I have a teammate who's a stick nerd and is always piecing them together in his garage.  He waits for sales and then hooks me up whenever I need one.

It would be hard to go back to the wood sticks, even though the composite ones do break a lot.  I notice a difference in wrist and snap shots -- quicker release and a little more uumph.  For slap shots, I still like the feel of wood, but I don't take many of those, as a grinding winger with bad hands. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

When I played out in street hockey or roller always used a Forsberg model Jofa or a Bending Branches stick. Loved them and still have them along with a red Gretzky Titan.

Still have the first stick my dad ever bought me, a wooden stick with the plastic blade, it's about a quarter inch now and has Bourque 7 on it. Playing against him in the garage, the good old days.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[/QUOTE]

The SNL skit with Chris Farley where they switched out his coffee is one of my all-time favorites.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you SO much for reminding me about that sketch Fletch... hilarious!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

My favourite stick for ball hockey was an old Bauer FlexLite 6 - Lindros Model.  Thing weighed a ton.  It was brilliant.

Sections
Shortcuts