Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension

Marchand should get money somewhere around this figure. Comparing stats for Marchand with others is worthless IMO. It doesn't tell the whole story . I see people quoting former GM Craig Button on here so I will too. He says (not in his exact words ) that Marchand brings a special talent to the Bruins that they were missing. His value to the team cannot be measured in just points. If you are a fan of the Bruins I don't have to explain what these special talents are. They are more of a hard working , battling team compared to previous teams. And Marchand is part of that . Remember when  posters complained that Julien's teams were too passive. I do .

Even though I'm not a fan of Button's I agree with his thoughts on Marchand.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I
    n Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : maybe u know know better book but it seems like a little of a unique situation with marchand right after is first full season he is an rfa. so its tough to compare him even to the guys i mention myself because they all have more games under there belt. the bruins are at somewhat of a disadvantage with marchand only really playing a season and playoff. if he had 2 or 3 years with the same production or a steady climb i think the contact would be already done. do u have any examples of a situation like this book?
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

I can't think of anything specific off the top of my head, Loyal...well, except maybe a guy like Johnny Boychuk who had fewer than 60 NHL games to his name when he became a UFA after last season and scored close to $1.9M.  There have to be numerous other situations like this.  If Couture had had a 3 year EL deal, he'd be another one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : Perhaps you should look at how Marchand performed in the 2008 World Junior Championships as well. During the Medal Round when the games mattered most, Marchand scored a goal in every one of those games, including the Gold Medal Game (and in doing so, scored more goals than any other Canadian player during the Medal Round, including Tavares and Stamkos, two of his teamates). Marchand is an obvious winner and now has a history of excelling on two big occasions; the 2008 WJH Tournament and the 2011 Stanley Cup. Thus I don't think last season was a fluke for Marchand.
    Posted by Klaas[/QUOTE]

Ask Danny Groulx how success as a kid translates into success as an adult.

(I'll give you a hint:  It's not a lock.)

The B's are not going to pay Marchand extra money because he did well in a kid tournament.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : maybe u know know better book but it seems like a little of a unique situation with marchand right after is first full season he is an rfa. so its tough to compare him even to the guys i mention myself because they all have more games under there belt. the bruins are at somewhat of a disadvantage with marchand only really playing a season and playoff. if he had 2 or 3 years with the same production or a steady climb i think the contact would be already done. do u have any examples of a situation like this book?
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

The Bruins are at an advantage in my view. 

They say, "You have done well for parts of one season.  We will pay you this."

He says, "Now you can see what my real potential is.  I want this."

They say, "We'll pay you that when you do that.  This is all we've seen, so this is all we're paying you."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : Ask Danny Groulx how success as a kid translates into success as an adult. (I'll give you a hint:  It's not a lock.) The B's are not going to pay Marchand extra money because he did well in a kid tournament.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    That kid tournament is the pinnacle for junior hockey players. Lots of players who do good in it do good in the NHL. Ask Patrice Bergeron. That's why that tournament is loaded with NHL scouts.

And yeah, Boston isn't gonna pay any player for success they had in that WJH Tournament. I was only trying to illustrate that Marchand is a winner when things matter most. His two litmus tests to date have been the WJH Tournament and the Stanley Cup.

As for Danny Groulx, he never was in it, as his success in junior hockey came when he was an over aged kid playing against younger kids ... and for many years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It certainly gives Chiarelli a very reasonable comparison. Marchand does fit well with the Bruins, and Recchi's "coaching" showed results. Fletch's comparison is right on the money. Now let's see if Arnott's greed has been compromised.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

[QUOTE]Klaas, he was a bit player, but a valuable one, in 2007's WJHC as well.  I'm well aware of Marchand's talent for stepping up.  I'm also well aware that he was disciplined internally for conduct problems at the WJHC and the Canada Cup.   My point here was comparison - Couture had a better regular season and scored more per game in the playoffs through three rounds, so I'd disagree with the idea that Marchand's playoff performance should be rewarded with a bigger deal than Couture's.  (Couture still has a year on his old deal, Marchand's an RFA - that might make more of a difference, really.) Also, none of this really conflicts with the passage you highlighted - I don't think he's a guy who can run like that for an entire season (82 games, 16  wins in the playoffs).  He doesn't have to be to be a huge asset and a guy the Bruins want to keep - maybe for a long time - but we're talking about how high you go on his contract.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    I agree with everything you say. It's just that last sentence you had in the post that I responded to.

My beef is where you questioned whether Marchand can repeat last year's performance, a la ... "That's why one year - and really, two strong stretches within one year - isn't enough to convince me he's the player we saw in the Finals 82/16".

I'm here to tell you that Marchand is the player you saw in last year's Finals. Specifically, he rises to the occasion when things matter the most.

Marchand probably should be payed what Couture gets. My understanding is that Doug Wilson signed Couture at a bargain. Does that mean that Marchand thus should be signed at a bargain. I hope so, but ... .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension :  I'm saying is that Marchand is the player you saw in last year's Finals. Specifically, he rises to the occasion when things matter the most.
    Posted by Klaas[/QUOTE]

If the B's don't make it deep into the playoffs (Conference Finals), which the odds are that they won't, then he's grossly overpaid (<---paid).

And that's just not how it works.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : If the B's don't make it deep into the playoffs (Conference Finals), which the odds are that they won't, then he's grossly overpaid (<---paid). And that's just not how it works.
    Marchand didn't have a chopped liver regular season last year. He looks like he can be a perpetual 20-30 goal guy in the regular season. Thus $3M a year for doing that plus all his other intangibles is a bargain.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : Marchand didn't have a chopped liver regular season last year. He looks like he can be a perpetual 20-30 goal guy in the regular season. Thus $3M a year for doing that plus all his other intangibles is a bargain.
    Posted by Klaas[/QUOTE]

What in the world?  By scoring 21 career NHL goals, he looks like he can be a perpetual 30 goal guy?

I don't know what reality some of you live in, but the lore and love of Brad Marchand here is the craziest thing I have ever read.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Ever the optimist, NAS.
    Marchand showed over the last 60 games that he's a very solid 2nd line player, particularly in the Bruins' system. He plays a solid defensive game, provides a solid scoring touch, and forechecks like an animal. His antagonistic approach is one that has won over Bruins' fans hearts for generations (O'Reilly). There's no shutting down the kid's perfect combination of talent and grit, realistically. I know that reality is hard for you to grasp sometimes. Somehow, after the Bruins win the Cup, you're still a pessimistic pr**k.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : What in the world?  By scoring 21 career NHL goals, he looks like he can be a perpetual 30 goal guy? I don't know what reality some of you live in, but the lore and love of Brad Marchand here is the craziest thing I have ever read.
    Trying to twist my words aren't you. Let me repeat ... 20-30 goals. And yeah, a 21 goal season plus 11 goals in 25 playoff games is the basis of my faith. Confirms what he did in Juniors plus Providence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : The Bruins are at an advantage in my view.  They say, "You have done well for parts of one season.  We will pay you this." He says, "Now you can see what my real potential is.  I want this." They say, "We'll pay you that when you do that.  This is all we've seen, so this is all we're paying you."

u know what i was thinking nas is that both(bruins and marchand) have there stakes in the ground for the upcoming contact negotiations. just the disadvantage being like u said there is a small sample size of what marchand has but for marchand its what he was able to do with that small sample, especially after he was moved from 4th line to a line with bergeron and recchi and most important his performance in the the play-offs.
    i was looking though alot of the contracts in the nhl and couldnt really find a similar situation like marchands. its seems that the guys who came up to there RFA negotiations for a contact had for the most part a season worth of games more than marchands 97 regular season games and 25 playoff games. can u think of a player or players that fit the marchand situation?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : What in the world?  By scoring 21 career NHL goals, he looks like he can be a perpetual 30 goal guy? I don't know what reality some of you live in, but the lore and love of Brad Marchand here is the craziest thing I have ever read. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Then I would question your ability to scout a players potential and there is no way in Hades that other posters ability to see a higher window for Marchand, other than you NAS, is the craziest thing you've ever read on here, No way.

There is nothing but stubbornness, which has nothing to do with lore, in your ability to back off your hatred for young Brad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : The Bruins are at an advantage in my view.  They say, "You have done well for parts of one season.  We will pay you this." He says, "Now you can see what my real potential is.  I want this." They say, "We'll pay you that when you do that.  This is all we've seen, so this is all we're paying you."

^This. Absolutely correct.

I'd like to Wade (no pun intended) into this arguement.

The fly in the ointment here is Wade Arnott. The cap system is the culprit and the CBA is the reason.

Unfortunately, it's not how it used to be anymore in the NHL or in Sport.

The ultimate bargaining tool now is timing. If your contract is expiring and you have arbitration rights, or becoming a RFA or UFA and you had a decent season - you win. Wade Arnott will milk this for all it is worth, he's proven it in the past with Kessel and Parise.

In my view, at this present time, Marchand fits somewhere between Teddy Purcell and Logan Couture, but not higher. However, Brad will have a better career than the other two and will be a multiple Stanley Cup winner.

In my opinion, you cannot break the bank for Brad, at this time. It will cause cap problems down the road without question. Until there is an offer sheet, Wade and Brad have nowhere to go.

Will an offer sheet come - I don't think so. Many teams are looking at Marchand from NAS's point of view. They know he has to be constantly reigned in and his party-hearty antics dampen the picture even more.

Furthermore, Brad's productivity is tied to his position in the team's hierarcy. If he is at the bottom or in the middle - he will not get out of line and he will contribute (as we have seen). If he is at the top or near the top of the hierarchy - he will rub most of his teammates the wrong way, and will not have a chance of producing like he should (look no further than Providence for evidence of this).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think Coutures ceiling is a little higher. Wouldnt suprise me if he puts up a couple 40 plus seasons.Right now, I don't see how you can pay Marchand more than him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Ever the optimist, NAS. Marchand showed over the last 60 games that he's a very solid 2nd line player, particularly in the Bruins' system. He plays a solid defensive game, provides a solid scoring touch, and forechecks like an animal. His antagonistic approach is one that has won over Bruins' fans hearts for generations (O'Reilly). There's no shutting down the kid's perfect combination of talent and grit, realistically. I know that reality is hard for you to grasp sometimes. Somehow, after the Bruins win the Cup, you're still a pessimistic pr**k.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

It's not pessimism, it's realism.  According to you, he should get to 30 goals because:
    He plays on the second line.
    He plays well defensively.
    He forechecks.
    He annoys the opposition.
    He scores.

If that's the case, I'm here to annoint Gregory Campbell as the next 30 goals scorer for the Bruins. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : Then I would question your ability to scout a players potential and there is no way in Hades that other posters ability to see a higher window for Marchand, other than you NAS, is the craziest thing you've ever read on here, No way. There is nothing but stubbornness, which has nothing to do with lore, in your ability to back off your hatred for young Brad.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Sandog, people here have been suggesting that Marchand should get paid more than Krejci and the same as Lucic.  Some have suggested a four year, $16M deal!  What's crazier than that (legimite posters only)?  It has been said that they wouldn't have won the Cup without him, and that he's the key to the upcoming season.  I've read that he's a top three clutch performer for the B's over the past 30 years.  I've read that people would rather have him at $500K more per year than Logan Couture. 

This has nothing to do with my dislike for the kid's personality.  It has to do with the fact that he has a total of 21 regular season NHL goals.  13 of those goals were scored between January 10th and February 22nd. 

100% crazy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Interesting that you twist the words around in a way that suit your argument best. Nobody said he would be a 30 goal guy. Someone said that he should be a consistent 20-30 goal guy. There is a HUGE difference. 20 goal guys are fairly easy to come by. 30 goal guys are usually in the top 30 in the league (and thus, usually team leader). Marchand easily has the ability to put up 20 per year, with 30 being a great performance for him.

And all of those things that you listed were dumb, because......

Gregory Campbell is on the 4th line.

Well played.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting that you twist the words around in a way that suit your argument best. Nobody said he would be a 30 goal guy. Someone said that he should be a consistent 20-30 goal guy. There is a HUGE difference. 20 goal guys are fairly easy to come by. 30 goal guys are usually in the top 30 in the league (and thus, usually team leader). Marchand easily has the ability to put up 20 per year, with 30 being a great performance for him. And all of those things that you listed were dumb, because...... Gregory Campbell is on the 4th line. Well played.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

Where did Marchand start last season?

I'm not twisting anyone's words.  They're all right here in black and white (depending on your browser).  Someone said a 20-30 goal guy.  Well, that's 30 goals right?

Marchand will get his 30 each year.  He does a great job of sticking people between the legs during the faceoffs.  30 is a lock.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

NAS, you can add that his 13 goal burst coincided with Bergeron winning NHL player of the month honours.  There'll be some chicken/egg arguments on that front, but it's hard not to see the overlap as having a lot to do with Bergeron.  Outside of that window, Marchand scored at exactly the same pace on the second line as on the fourth line.

As for the playoffs, let's not forget that the Vancouver series, where he was the most noticeable, was an inside draw to a straight flush for Marchand.  He was playing a team that thrives on the playoffs, on diving, and on drawing penalties by being exactly the kind of agitating he is (only more cowardly in notable cases).  Three rounds of being called divers came home to roost for the Canucks when the refs, or the NHL, or whoever, seemed to decide that they were going to call only the true penalties - nothing borderline, and nothing on the agitation front.  Marchand was allowed to run amok.  IF the finals had been called like a regular season game, Marchand could have been the goat against a Vancouver team that can kill you on the PP.

None of this is to take away from his performance.  His assist on Bergeron's first goal of game 7 was all hustle and juke.  But again, we know he can do what he did in a very specific set of circumstances.  Paying him like Lucic or Krejci would be a disaster next year when Krejci and Rask are RFAs, Lucic and Seguin are one year from RFA, and Horton's a year from UFA.  Every one of those players is higher on the organizational depth chart than Marchand.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'll simplify it. Logan Couture is a better player than Brad Marchand. I have no problem with the Bruins paying him the same money as Couture though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : Where did Marchand start last season? I'm not twisting anyone's words.  They're all right here in black and white (depending on your browser).  Someone said a 20-30 goal guy.  Well, that's 30 goals right? Marchand will get his 30 each year.  He does a great job of sticking people between the legs during the faceoffs.  30 is a lock.

Actually, I would have to agree that you are twisting his words.
    20-30 goals is not saying 30 goals is a "lock". It means that the player should be good for at least 20 goals a season, and in a real good season, he could get as many as 30.
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    We can all guess at what Marchand re-signs for, but it all depends on how good a player, Chiarelli and his scouts project him to become.
    Milan Lucic signed a 4.08M/YR contract off a 72GP, 17G, 25A season, and a playoff of; 10GP, 3G, 6A, in a cap year of 56.8M.
    He got that much, because of what Chiarelli thought of his future potential.
    Marchand will be the same. If Chiarelli thinks as much of him as a lot of the posters on this board do, he will get re-signed for a 3M+/YR salary.
    If he thinks the same as you do, I expect to see him wearing another team's jersey, in the up-coming season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

30 is 30.  If he doesn't think Marchand will get 30, he should have chosen a different number.  I will be thrilled if Marchand can get 30, but I just don't see it.  Let me rephrase that:  I haven't seen anything yet to show that he will.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

He wasted 20 games this year in his scoring, really. I'm pretty sure it was 20 or so games that he went without scoring a goal. The last 80 games or so (with playoffs), he was probably knocking on the door of 30. This was his rookie year. 30 is within reach. I wouldn't bet on it, but it is. I think that I'd bet my roommate our portion's of our gas bill for a month that Marchand pots 20 this season, though.

Sections
Shortcuts