Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension

Did my homework...27 goals in his last 69 games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension:
    [QUOTE]Did my homework...27 goals in his last 69 games.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

I see both your points here, but you need to score 30 goals in a season to be a 30 goal scorer..There is no such thing as a 20-30 goal scorer..Either your a 30 goal scorer or your not..If he gets 28 goals next year, 29 the year after and 28 the next year, he's not a 30 goal scorer...A 30 goal scorer can get you 39..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : I see both your points here, but you need to score 30 goals in a season to be a 30 goal scorer..There is no such thing as a 20-30 goal scorer..Either your a 30 goal scorer or your not..If he gets 28 goals next year, 29 the year after and 28 the next year, he's not a 30 goal scorer...A 30 goal scorer can get you 39..
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    No way. Just ask bruins8. Scoring 36,30, and 32 goals, makes Phil Kessel a 40 goal scorer :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Wayne Cashman played 15 years in Boston. Scored 277 goals, won the Stanley Cup twice, was Captain of the team and is the epitome of a Boston Bruin.

If you totalled his combined salary for those 15 years and adjusted it for inflation it would, most assuredly, come up to less than $3 million.

Most of you want to give this amount to Brad Marchand for one year! Where's the sanity?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]Wayne Cashman played 15 years in Boston. Scored 277 goals, won the Stanley Cup twice, was Captain of the team and is the epitome of a Boston Bruin. If you totalled his combined salary for those 15 years and adjusted it for inflation it would, most assuredly, come up to less than $3 million. Most of you want to give this amount to Brad Marchand for one year! Where's the sanity?
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    So I guess, no defenceman should ever make more than what Bobby Orr did?
    No wait, how about Eddie Shore?
    With all due respect, what Cashman was paid, has absolutely NOTHING to do with what Marchand gets now.
    I can guarantee, that neither side brought up Cashman's salary, in these contract negotiations :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Go back over my posts since BM became a B, I have been huge on this guy from day 1.  Just like I have been huge for Luc, Luc had not earned a 4M salary, no ands ifs or buts, a 3 year like 2.5, 3 and 3.5 would have seemed more logical and the same could be said for BM.

Couture had an awesome year and playoffs in SJ and if not for b-es reffing should have played against the B's. He played great in every game much like BM and probably had even more opportunities. He is a year younger, has already scored more in season play and tied in playoffs and I would take him for a 1M less per year, as would any GM.

BM was huge in the playoffs, yes, 3rd best clutch player in 30 years not even close, do I want him back, he ll yes, but not for more than Krej makes, 3 at 9M would be tops. He is a feisty little terrier with a great work ethic and will one day earn over 4M but it better not be now. 3 @ 9M.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : So I guess, no defenceman should ever make more than what Bobby Orr did? No wait, how about Eddie Shore? With all due respect, what Cashman was paid, has absolutely NOTHING to do with what Marchand gets now. I can guarantee, that neither side brought up Cashman's salary, in these contract negotiations :)
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]

Biggskye, I think you missed something when you read my post.

Read it again, carefully, and try to figure out what I'm saying.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]I'll simplify it. Logan Couture is a better player than Brad Marchand. I have no problem with the Bruins paying him the same money as Couture though.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I have always been a huge fan of Couture.
    I remember being so excited that he was available at Boston's turn. I was sitting there chanting his name, and instead of cheering, I got to say, Zach who?
    I think San Jose got a heck of a deal, with that contract signing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : Biggskye, I think you missed something when you read my post. Read it again, carefully, and try to figure out what I'm saying.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    I will admit that nobody has ever accused me of being, too smart.
    It still looks to me, like you are saying there is a relevance on what Marchand should get paid in 2011, to what Cashman made in the 60's & 70's.
    I make 6x what my father did, doing the same type of job. Times change.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : No way. Just ask bruins8. Scoring 36,30, and 32 goals, makes Phil Kessel a 40 goal scorer :)

like this bigskye

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=2ecd90dcdb4e7f44d76e3e171010df96&plckUserId=2ecd90dcdb4e7f44d76e3e171010df96">
    First: 8/2/2005
    Last: 7/14/2011
    you all are the clueless ones...your all just afraid or dumb  because kessel is one of the best players in the game even chia said it on wed...the comparissions are not fai because tyler is in his first year "kessel is already an established star in this league" end quote cmon he has 7 goals in 9 games  do the math people  when he scores 40-50 each season are you all gonna be saying oh hes not a god player..im sick of these boards knocking him..hes better than anyone on the bs leafs when it comes to scoring goals  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Geez, I didn't realize he had turned him into a 50 goal scorer :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Marchand should get a contract similar to what Couture received. No question especially since it would be over just two years. Big deal. Sure Couture scored 32 goals last season but we all know that Marchand's influence on the ice is greater than his sats would suggest.

This whole Marchand scenario reminds me of Johnny Pie McKenzie in 72. Not good. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : I will admit that nobody has ever accused me of being, too smart. It still looks to me, like you are saying there is a relevance on what Marchand should get paid in 2011, to what Cashman made in the 60's & 70's. I make 6x what my father did, doing the same type of job. Times change.

Biggskye, you still don't get it. Let me explain it to you, using your father as an example, though I do not know what he made - you will have to fill in that amount:

1. Take your father's salary for the last 15 years that he worked and add the inflation amount to bring each year's salary to 2011 dollar values.

2. Add those 15 years together with the inflation adjustment amount to get to the total for all combined.

3. Compare your father's 15 year total to what you will be making in 2012.

If what you will make in 2012 is greater than that of your father's combined 15 year total, and you are in the same business - SOMETHING IS WRONG!

And the WRONG is most certainly deep-rooted in the business.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Seems as though there have been a number of confusing perspectives. Couture is a good player in San Jose; Marchand is a good player in Boston; Marchand's agitation and spirit brings an added dimension to Boston; look how Shawn Thornton has become glorified without any of Marchand's skills in skating, puck handling, scoring [ solid hockey skills]. There are many on these boards who are horrified when some of us suggest replacing Thornton with a skilled player. The real logjam is Arnott. IMO a good agent negotiates a reasonable contract for his player, and avoids extended confrontations. Arnott does not fit my view, and has demonstrated that his advice may not be in the player's [Marchand] best interest.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't worry so much about Arnott because I have faith in Chiarelli as a negiator and a GM.  He is not going to get suckered or pressured into overpaying Marchand.  I don't think the pressure is on the Bruins front office because they just delivered a Cup and have deep lineup already.  They have too much going for them to overpay a 2nd year guy who had 41 points last year and was not nominated for Rookie of the Year.

Unlike NAS, I think you can't really overstate what Marchand did in the Stanley Cup.  He was a force, and he was exactly what teams need to win it all -- deep scoring, third line punch, and a role player type who drove the opponent nuts.  He was as clutch as any Bruin in the playoffs in recent memory.

Where I agree with NAS and others is that this does not mean he now deserves a big contract.  I am not filled with confidence that we can expect Marchand to play that way for an 82 game season.

Time will tell, but my argument with Marchand is that the way he played in the SC will not be sustainable.  I think his success can be chalked up to being opportunistic and clutch, more than talented and consistent.  He has nowhere near the talent of Krejci or Seguin, so he gets by on the intangibles.  Well, intangibles are a hard thing to count on every night.  I think some of his antics and personality will be an issue long-term too.  All we know now is that he can catch lightning in a bottle for a big series.  It still needs to be proven over the long haul, and I'm not sure the tools are there to pay him the big bucks. 

Brad, take the offer on the table and get your butt to camp.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

These negotiations have more to do with the other Bruins players as opposed to what guys like Couture and Purcell are getting. Every GM has a philosophy on how to construct their team, and we all know Chiarelli clearly has a long-term plan to build up the middle in the Pittsburgh and Detroit model. I don't think that long-term plan has him paying top-line wing salary for 2nd line talent. Looking ahead, Krejci, Seguin, Rask/Thomas and Defencemen #2 and #3 behind Chara will be getting the lion's share of the pie in the next 3 years. Wingers will always be a secondary buy for Chiarelli, so there's no need to break the bank on Marchand.

Sadly, we'll also see this issue with negotiations with Horton, Peverly and Lucic when the time comes. Those will be infinitely more difficult than Marchand, which I think might be what's irritating Chiarelli. This should be an open and closed case, but Arnott isn't making it easy.

So the Couture discussion is interesting, but apples to oranges. San Jose wants firepower on the top 2 line wings, and paid accordingly. Boston would rather have Caron step in at a lesser salary so money can be spent on center and defensive depth. Marchand could be squeezed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]These negotiations have more to do with the other Bruins players as opposed to what guys like Couture and Purcell are getting. Every GM has a philosophy on how to construct their team, and we all know Chiarelli clearly has a long-term plan to build up the middle in the Pittsburgh and Detroit model. I don't think that long-term plan has him paying top-line wing salary for 2nd line talent. Looking ahead, Krejci, Seguin, Rask/Thomas and Defencemen #2 and #3 behind Chara will be getting the lion's share of the pie in the next 3 years. Wingers will always be a secondary buy for Chiarelli, so there's no need to break the bank on Marchand. Sadly, we'll also see this issue with negotiations with Horton, Peverly and Lucic when the time comes. Those will be infinitely more difficult than Marchand, which I think might be what's irritating Chiarelli. This should be an open and closed case, but Arnott isn't making it easy. So the Couture discussion is interesting, but apples to oranges. San Jose wants firepower on the top 2 line wings, and paid accordingly. Boston would rather have Caron step in at a lesser salary so money can be spent on center and defensive depth. Marchand could be squeezed.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]
    I for one did not see these protracted negotiations coming. I thought after a very successful playoff and one professional season under his belt a nice raise was in store around the 2-3 million dollar range and 2 to 3 years in length, end of story. Arnott seems to have other ideas, and that is his and Brads right, but with absolutely no leverage in these negotiations other than not reporting to camp i have to agree , Brad could be squeezed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I would simply like to know what the kid is asking for, and what the Bruins are offering. I'm glad they're keeping these discussions private, but something tells me that the Bruins are offering exactly what most of us are saying, about 3M. I think Marchand (or Arnott) wants something in the 4M+ range. I think both sides think that they are both at their closest points.
    I really hope that Marchand just realizes that he has an opportunity to play in a city where fans appreciate his style of play more than any other city. Little tough guys in Boston are the most beloved, particularly ones who play for the Bruins. If he went and played somewhere in Canada, they wouldn't appreciate it as much. The only other city that I can think of that would love his play an equal amount is Philly, but they are also the most pessimistic bunch and would probably hate on him just as much as they love him.
    Boston is the best fit for this kid; I hope he realizes that...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] I really hope that Marchand just realizes that he has an opportunity to play in a city where fans appreciate his style of play more than any other city. Little tough guys in Boston are the most beloved, particularly ones who play for the Bruins. If he went and played somewhere in Canada, they wouldn't appreciate it as much. The only other city that I can think of that would love his play an equal amount is Philly, but they are also the most pessimistic bunch and would probably hate on him just as much as they love him. Boston is the best fit for this kid; I hope he realizes that...

That's ridiculous.  Most fans NHL fans love players like that when he's on their team. 

Why do you think fans of the Leafs wouldn't appreciate his style?  How about New Jersey fans?  Please tell me why Calgary fans and San Jose fans view a player like Marchand differently than Bruins fans.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Did I say they wouldn't like it? At any point? No, I didn't. Did you not pass reading comprehension in elementary school with flying colors? I simply said that Boston fans clearly love the below average sized, above average skill, huge hearted players more than other cities. Danny Woodhead, Wes Welker and Dustin Pedroia are all guys that stormed onto the scene and were pretty quickly at the top of jersey sales. I don't think you see that in other cities. Maybe Pedroia, because he won an MVP, and possibly Welker, but Woodhead and Marchand? Those guys wouldn't be loved AS MUCH in other cities.
    Never once did I insinuate that other cities wouldn't care about them if they had them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Did I say they wouldn't like it? At any point? No, I didn't. Did you not pass reading comprehension in elementary school with flying colors? I simply said that Boston fans clearly love the below average sized, above average skill, huge hearted players more than other cities. Danny Woodhead, Wes Welker and Dustin Pedroia are all guys that stormed onto the scene and were pretty quickly at the top of jersey sales. I don't think you see that in other cities. Maybe Pedroia, because he won an MVP, and possibly Welker, but Woodhead and Marchand? Those guys wouldn't be loved AS MUCH in other cities. Never once did I insinuate that other cities wouldn't care about them if they had them.

Woodhead became a star because of his play, not his stature.  Same with Pedrioa and Welker.  Same as Marchand. 

David Ortiz isn't a little guy, but he sure has a big following.  Lucic isn't a little guy, but he sure has a big following.  KG isn't a little guy, but he sure has a big following.  Tedy Bruschi wasn't a little guy, but he sure had a big following.

Find the common denominator.  It's effort and personality.

It's not height.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I realize I'm a bit late to this dance (spent the weekend away from a computer, drifting down a river in the BC interior), but here's my two cents.

Having seen both Couture and Marchand in a playoff series, I'd have to say that these are two quite different types of players, asked to do different things by their teams.  Couture is expected to score goals, and he has delivered.  Marchand is expected to be an agitating, 'energy' guy, and he has delivered.  Are they both worth the same amount?  Probably not, as this league values goals quite highly.  Couture has a tremendous upside, whereas I suspect we may have seen Marchand's best in the Finals.  Can Marchand score 40 in the regular season?  I doubt it, but I suspect that Couture will do so multiple times in his career.  Simply put, he has more natural goal scoring ability than Marchand.

On the other hand, I think Marchand brings something that Couture doesn't -- which is a "next gear" intensity when the chips are down.  He's shown that in multiple instances through his career, and that's worth something on its own.  However, most players are paid based on their regular season performance, so I would say that Couture's salary should be higher than Marchand's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]I realize I'm a bit late to this dance (spent the weekend away from a computer, drifting down a river in the BC interior), but here's my two cents. Having seen both Couture and Marchand in a playoff series, I'd have to say that these are two quite different types of players, asked to do different things by their teams.  Couture is expected to score goals, and he has delivered.  Marchand is expected to be an agitating, 'energy' guy, and he has delivered.  Are they both worth the same amount?  Probably not, as this league values goals quite highly.  Couture has a tremendous upside, whereas I suspect we may have seen Marchand's best in the Finals.  Can Marchand score 40 in the regular season?  I doubt it, but I suspect that Couture will do so multiple times in his career.  Simply put, he has more natural goal scoring ability than Marchand. On the other hand, I think Marchand brings something that Couture doesn't -- which is a "next gear" intensity when the chips are down.  He's shown that in multiple instances through his career, and that's worth something on its own.  However, most players are paid based on their regular season performance, so I would say that Couture's salary should be higher than Marchand's.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
       If I'm Marchand's agent, I'm saying that Couture really wanted to stay in San Jose, the team is up against the cap, so he took less-than market value to stay there
    Because of that, his contract has no bearing on Marchand's demands.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension :    If I'm Marchand's agent, I'm saying that Couture really wanted to stay in San Jose, the team is up against the cap, so he took less-than market value to stay there Because of that, his contract has no bearing on Marchand's demands.

And if I'm Chiarelli, I'm saying, "He scored 33% more goals than you did.  Unless you want me to rethink all of this and pay you 33% less, sign here."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That and some version of "or go yodel".