Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension

I agree with NAs here for the most part.. I like marchand, I like what he did, but the responses on here are rediculous..

I have stated all along I thought his contract would be in the 2 year 5 mill range.. Dez argued whole heartedly.. Comparing his value to Dubinsky's which most fans supported (showing the marchand fanboy support my god)..

Now that other contracts have signed the whole marchand should get 4 mill has died down.. but still..

Kelvana.. Couture "ceiling" is higher then marchands, I would say its not what it was at the draft, but he was a top 10 selection.. He was slow to develop, but is starting to show the promis that got him drafted that high.. Marchands game is what it is, we all saw it.. What he is now, and his ceiling are nearly the same..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension:
    [QUOTE]I agree with NAs here for the most part.. I like marchand, I like what he did, but the responses on here are rediculous.. I have stated all along I thought his contract would be in the 2 year 5 mill range.. Dez argued whole heartedly.. Comparing his value to Dubinsky's which most fans supported (showing the marchand fanboy support my god).. Now that other contracts have signed the whole marchand should get 4 mill has died down.. but still.. Kelvana.. Couture "ceiling" is higher then marchands, I would say its not what it was at the draft, but he was a top 10 selection.. He was slow to develop, but is starting to show the promis that got him drafted that high.. Marchands game is what it is, we all saw it.. What he is now, and his ceiling are nearly the same..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    Wow, starting an argument that wasn't there again eh..........? I CLEARLY STATED that Marchand will sign for somewhere in between the deals signed by Dubinsky and Purcell. I will stick to predicting he'll get around 3 per for the length of his deal. Why is that so hard for you to get?  BTW, if so many posters supported the idea of paying Marchand 4 a year, shouldn't you be able to provide us with plenty of examples of people saying it. Seems to me that most of the times I read about 4 per for Marchand are in the posts in which you claim others are saying it..............your post is a perfect example of your usual M.O. of correcting mistakes that aren't there.  I mean, you wrote 5 lines to say almost the exact same thing as Kel( yet you've managed to have it come across as if you're correcting his work).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : Wow, starting an argument that wasn't there again eh..........? I CLEARLY STATED that Marchand will sign for somewhere in between the deals signed by Dubinsky and Purcell. I will stick to predicting he'll get around 3 per for the length of his deal. Why is that so hard for you to get?  BTW, if so many posters supported the idea of paying Marchand 4 a year, shouldn't you be able to provide us with plenty of examples of people saying it. Seems to me that most of the  times I read about 4 per for Marchand are in the posts where you claim others are saying it...........
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez,
    I work an actual job and don't care to take the time to find all the examples of people saying marchand should earn 3-4 m..

Your exact quote was  "Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3m-3.5m now seems likely"  which you seemingly have backed down from.. But your stance was he should earn more then purcell, not as much as dubinsky, and mine was dubinsky is not a good comparison at all.. I didnt single you out for anything you said in this post, and stated most of the posters support you, i agree more with NAS sentinment on this.. stop trying to make everything personal.

I didnt say you said he should earn 4m, simply enough posters have said it, any one who has paid attention to these boards at all has seen it.. If I want to start and arguement I will dig up the post where you talk about how much trading thomas would add to the Team..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : Dez, I work an actual job and don't care to take the time to find all the examples of people saying marchand should earn 3-4 m.. Your exact quote was  "Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3m-3.5m now seems likely"  which you seemingly have backed down from.. But your stance was he should earn more then purcell, not as much as dubinsky, and mine was dubinsky is not a good comparison at all.. I didnt single you out for anything you said in this post, and stated most of the posters support you, i agree more with NAS sentinment on this.. stop trying to make everything personal. I didnt say you said he should earn 4m, simply enough posters have said it, any one who has paid attention to these boards at all has seen it.. If I want to start and arguement I will dig up the post where you talk about how much trading thomas would add to the Team..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    I'm sorry Roler, I just got confused when I read that "Dez" said something or another. I shouldn't have taken that personally as you're obviously referencing another Dez. BTW, I think that 3 is still between the 3 and 3.5 range but ,once again, thanks for the correction. Your "real job" that keeps you from citing examples doesn't seem to stop you from claiming others have said things. Claiming someone said something is really simple.  Backing up those claims is obviously harder for someone as busy as you.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : I'm sorry Roler, I just got confused when I read that "Dez" said something or another. I shouldn't have taken that personally as you're obviously referencing another Dez. BTW, I think that 3 is still between the 3 and 3.5 range but ,once again, thanks for the correction. Your "real job" that keeps you from citing examples doesn't seem to stop you from claiming others have said things. Claiming someone said something is really simple.  Backing up those claims is obviously harder for someone as busy as you.......

I didn't know I needed to back up claims that have seemingly been common knowledge. Your right I can't back up people saying marchand should get 4, cause no one ever said it.. No one compared his rookie year to bergeron or lucic on these boards .. You didnt start 2 posts with in 2 days about what kind of deal marchand should get.. I can't back any of that up cause it never happened...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE] Marchands game is what it is, we all saw it.. What he is now, and his ceiling are nearly the same..Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Roler that Couture is by far a better pure goal scorer but disagree with you that this is all Bruins fans will get as far as ceiling. I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

OK, given all the p155 flying around here, maybe this is a small point - but Couture wasn't "slow to develop".  He just didn't develop in the NHL, which is no surprise given that he was drafted by a team with good depth at scoring forward.  He was in the NHL mid-way through his third year post-draft and scoring at basically the same pace as Marchand - projecting to about 15 goals and 30 points over a full season (Marchand's regular season pace outside of six weeks in July was 30pts /82 gms).

It's far less important for some players to be in the NHL to develop, but not being the NHL within a year or two doesn't mean a guy's developing slowly or that he's a bust.  The crazy attention to the draft that has grown over the years has put NFL-like expectations on the contributions of NHL first rounders.  Outside of a very few - and those very few are usually in very favourable situations - it take at least a couple of years for an 18 yr old draft pick to grow mature enough to contribute all season long.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

'sfunny SanDog, but I could see it go either way.  What it comes down to, I think, is the way you view the one quality everyone who loves Marchand has right on the tip of their tongues - he finds another gear in big games.  Question is, what's he doing with that spare gear in games against Winnipeg in January?  If he can get to that level by preparing like a pro, he may prove you right.  If he needs to redline emotionally to play that way, he won't.  Or he'll try, but there's a good chance he'll be either wildly inconsistent or get hurt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Let's see.  Whom would you rather:

A guy who has scored 31 goals and is seen by his coach as a future leader

or

A guy who scored 21 goals and excels at acting like a jerk on the ice toward the opposition.

This is not a trick question.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Let's see.  Whom would you rather: A guy who has scored 31 goals and is seen by his coach as a future leader or A guy who scored 21 goals and excels at acting like a jerk on the ice toward the opposition. This is not a trick question.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Tell us which one has been a proven winner at more than 1 level and then I'll answer.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : Tell us which one has been a proven winner at more than 1 level and then I'll answer.......

Tell me what a proven winner is.  Is it a guy who is on winning teams?  Great.  Shawn Thornton is a proven winner. 

If Marchand had played for Columbus last season, would there be any mention of him being a proven winner?

As for his World Junior Gold, those are team efforts, and he was never near the top of the talent level there.  They had Stamkos, Tavares, Turris, Giroux, Doughty and more.

If he's such a proven winner, what happened in Providence?  No Calder Cup there.

I can go with the "better with experience" part, but just because the guy played on teams that won, it doesn't mean jack.  Shawn Thornton, who is a terrible NHL player, has more Cup rings than Ray Bourque and Cam Neely combined.  He must be a proven winner, and they must be not be able to win when it matters most.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : Tell me what a proven winner is.  Is it a guy who is on winning teams?  Great.  Shawn Thornton is a proven winner.  If Marchand had played for Columbus last season, would there be any mention of him being a proven winner? As for his World Junior Gold, those are team efforts, and he was never near the top of the talent level there.  They had Stamkos, Tavares, Turris, Giroux, Doughty and more. If he's such a proven winner, what happened in Providence?  No Calder Cup there. I can go with the "better with experience" part, but just because the guy played on teams that won, it doesn't mean jack.  Shawn Thornton, who is a terrible NHL player, has more Cup rings than Ray Bourque and Cam Neely combined.  He must be a proven winner, and they must be not be able to win when it matters most.
    Look at Marchand's WJC numbers before claiming he wasn't one of the top players. He should've been tournament MVP the year that Steve Mason won but instead settled for player of the game for the gold medal match. The guy won 2 WJC Golds and a Stanley Cup as a rookie........yeah, the Shawn Thornton comparison is perfect........well, since Marchand didn't even win in the AHL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't need to look at his numbers.  I stated that he wasn't even close to being a top talent.  I don't put much stock into the stat sheet of the WJC, and I'm guessing the NHL scouts and GMs don't either. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension:[QUOTE]Let's see.  Whom would you rather: A guy who has scored 31 goals and is seen by his coach as a future leader or Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

OK now your throwing leadership in ? I thought you didn't make predictions. Marchand could be wearing an "A" in two years but you would answer Couture will be wearing the "C" in San Jose in two years. So my answer is your usual attempt at ending a debate...

"You don't know that, there is no way of knowing that"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I don't need to look at his numbers.  I stated that he wasn't even close to being a top talent.  I don't put much stock into the stat sheet of the WJC, and I'm guessing the NHL scouts and GMs don't either. 
    He was the only 18 year old on the 2007 squad that was led by 19 year olds Toews and James Neal. It also featured McCardle, Cliche, Bertram, Helm and Pyatt so yeah, Marchand was one of the top talents on the team.
    http://www.hockeyforum.com/world-junior-hockey-championships/5358-2007-canadian-world-juniors-roster.html
    In 2008, Turris was the only player on the team to outscore him so I'd say he was one of the top talents on that team also.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

NAS has a blatant disdain for Marchand.
    I will do my best to continue to ignore all comments on said player from said person.
    Everyone's obviously against you on this one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension:[QUOTE]'sfunny SanDog, but I could see it go either way.  What it comes down to, I think, is the way you view the one quality everyone who loves Marchand has right on the tip of their tongues - he finds another gear in big games.  Question is, what's he doing with that spare gear in games against Winnipeg in January?  If he can get to that level by preparing like a pro, he may prove you right. Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

"Explosive skater; Erupts out of the blocks and puts defenders on their heels when he attacks them with his high-end speed. Also shifty with his east-west movement, but _______'s greatest strength is his ability to come right at the teeth of a defense and still be able to get himself into position to generate scoring chances. Good puckhandler; handles the biscuit at top speed. Goes to the net with his stick on the ice, looking to cash in. Solid shooter; not overpowering, but is able to get rid of it quickly and finish off chances in close. Quick hands on the deke make him lethal when he brings the puck in alone at full gallop. Defensively responsible, but clearly an offensive-minded player."

Some of the things that I think can't be taught to a youthful hockey player as I think they are born with, above, innate skill no matter how many power skating schools or stick handling drills a kid is put through.

Marchand does some of the above really well that is where I think he becomes a 30 goal scorer. Couture does allot of the above very well which is why I think he will become a perennial 40+ goal scorer every year. There is the seperation...

Oh by the way in the parentheses above is a scouting report about my favorite Bruins prospect and why I'm so high on him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Let's see.  Whom would you rather: A guy who has scored 31 goals and is seen by his coach as a future leader or A guy who scored 21 goals and excels at acting like a jerk on the ice toward the opposition. This is not a trick question.

So scoring more goals makes one player better then the next ? All facets of the game should be included when comparing players . When GM's make trades do you think they look at only the goals scored column when trying to get the best player for their team ?

This year when watching Marchand take your 'Hate hat' off and watch all the positive things that he does that makes the rest of us think he's a good, young exciting player to watch rather then pointing out the negatives which you are known for doing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : So scoring more goals makes one player better then the next ? All facets of the game should be included when comparing players . When GM's make trades do you think they look at only the goals scored column when trying to get the best player for their team ? This year when watching Marchand take your 'Hate hat' off and watch all the positive things that he does that makes the rest of us think he's a good, young exciting player to watch rather then pointing out the negatives which you are known for doing.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    I didn't bother checking to see if Couture was also among the league leaders in SH goals. I know who was though.........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Simple question though - would you rather have Couture or Marchand?  You can rip into NAS all day for the way he presents the options, but no one is coming right out and saying yeah, Marchand over Couture every day all day. 

Either that's because the choice isn't easy or - and honestly, this is what it looks like when people go ape feces defending Marchand instead of answering this fairly simple question - their guts are saying "give me the guy who looks like a future 40 goal guy and captain, but it hurts."

My answer?  If this is a draft, I'm taking the first liner, and Couture is a first line player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : I agree with you Roler that Couture is by far a better pure goal scorer but disagree with you that this is all Bruins fans will get as far as ceiling. I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

My take on this Sandog,

Marchand we can all agree is phsyically limited.. He is basically physically mature, and most of his game is solid so if I asked you what he coudl get better at, the answers I would assume are he can become more consistant, and he can get smarter in his play.. But overall I think we saw he is pretty well adjusted to the progame..

If marchand was 5'9 165 (tyler Ennis) I would say he can get stronger, if he was lucic his skating can improve, if he was seguin he can adjust to the game speed, and get stronger etc..

Marchands not a high end play maker, and he's never been a gifted scorer at any level to my knowledge so I don't expect that part of his game to catch up..

I think lucic will improve for instance, I think big guys take longer to develop, but I would expect him to become a better skater, to have better hands in front of the net, and to become more consistant, I don't expect him to turn into a 100 point scorer with 65 assists, I don't see anything in his past that suggest that, you know? could he turn into a 40g 40a, sure..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If I already have Horton and Lucic ? I take Marchand in the 2nd round and develop a Dman with my first pick (from the OHL of course). If I don't have my power forwards or my sniper is aging (Heatley) I take Couture no doubt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension :   I think lucic will improve for instance, I think big guys take longer to develop, but I would expect him to become a better skater, to have better hands in front of the net, and to become more consistant, I don't expect him to turn into a 100 point scorer with 65 assists, I don't see anything in his past that suggest that, you know? could he turn into a 40g 40a, sure..Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

For some reason I thought you were on the other side of the fence with Lucic, but yah I could see Lucic getting 40g 40a. Book got it right Milan needs to get more than 5 PP goals to do this for sure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

At the moment Marchand. Simple question answered. Maybe Couture will be better down the road . Potentially he has a higher ceiling then Marchand and might be the better player later. Does the dreaded player named Potential always turn out ?  Right now I'll take Marchand for his one year showing over Couture's ( whether people want to recognize it or not the playoffs do count on performance for the year). Until I see more from both that's what my opinion is presently and ends my ape feces session.

When did Couture get bumped up to the first line ? Did they trade Thornton ? Ahh, yes , Potential.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Logan Couture signs 2 year/$5.75 mil extension : For some reason I thought you were on the other side of the fence with Lucic, but yah I could see Lucic getting 40g 40a. Book got it right Milan needs to get more than 5 PP goals to do this for sure.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Not sure what side of the fence you mean, but my take on lucic has kind of been that I would expect a todd bertuzzi /thornton development curve.. Hes not being paid to produce 100 points.. Id love to see him net a couple 50g seasons (ala brendan shanahan) but i think he can be a 30-40 goal 70 point scorer as he refines his game, I don't expect anything prolific.. He won't hit his peak till he's 25

His contract though, highly criticized i always supported.. Hes a unique player, I think chiralleli looked at his development, his track in juniors and said if he puts up 30 g 30 asst (this season) in the final year of his EL, hes going to cost us an arm and a leg to keep, and hes going to get an offer sheet..

You can't blame him for an injury..