LOL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

Re: LOL

would you agree that 2 years ago, we were all watching a strong group of guys, which we would be seeing together for a long time. we knew krejci and lucic were good, chara and bergeron were solid captains, Recchi was still old as balls, sturm and ryder are still sturm (well, you know) and ryder. everyone committed to defense, minus that gopher kid, and the bruins rolled.

This is where all the complaints come from. there are more than a handful of guys that was on that same club, with the same coach and the same style of hockey. did kessel leaving change that much? maybe montador and pj? i dont know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: LOL:
    [QUOTE]whoa whao whoa whoa.... Complications in the strings between the cans. let me clarify. Two years ago, they have the same core as they do now, not from 4 years ago.
    Posted by TheShepherd[/QUOTE]

My bad Shep, I thought you were saying 4 years ago.  I agree that the team two years ago has the same core. 

And truthfully I agree with many of your concerns.  I just think that at the end of the day you've got to be pretty excited about what you've got right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE]The negativity on these boards is vomit inducing. You would think the Bs are at the bottom of the division and traded away last years lottery pick along with a 2nd rounder and this years lottery pick like some team that traded for a 1 zone winger. Might be the general hate of Jacobs, Sinden and O'Connell (Lucic, Bergeron, and Krejic were great picks btw) that is still around. Or my personal view that Boston sports fans have been spoiled for the past couple of years and want to see a team that scores highlight goals and plays 5-4 loss with lots of fights vs. a 2-1 loss with no stupid penalties. The team is doing well with CJ and Chia has solved the cap problems without shedding anything that harms the team. All in all, I'm happy with the way everything is playing out this season.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

LOL :)

sorry I kinda just spazzzed right there, there are plenty of great B's fans on these boards too. And I know, many people are just trolling us, you're right Crowls.

sigh, i just needed to get that off my chest, sorry. I'll try not to go emo on you all again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to LOL:
    [QUOTE]I've never seen these boards more negative than they are right now,and It makes me want to vomit. Here we have a team that is 2 points down with two games in hand for first in the division; has the best goalie in the NHL, has no concerns about aging veterans, has no major injuries, has no cap concerns, and (not to mention) IS SCORING GOALS! Remember all that off-season talk about if we could only score goals? Now we are 12th in the NHL instead of dead-last , 1st in goals against, and people are calling for Julien's head, bergeron to be traded... It's an embarrassment to see how Neurotic Bruins fans can be, you all need to f-ing chill. Spoiled little new england fans, why don't you go watch the red-sox buy their way to a championship, or watch the corrupt and imbalanced NBA teams "compete" for a title.  It's one thing to like winning, but it's another to have a standard that is so high that success is only defined by perfection. By the way we are third this week in TSN power rankings.   http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/ AHHHHH THE SKY IS FALLING:?!?!?! HOW WILL WE EVER RECOVER?!??! "Just for some historical perspective, Tim Thomas has a 1.51 goals against average and .954 save percentage so far this season. The best GAA of the modern era was Miikka Kiprusoff's 1.70 in 2003-2004 and the best save percentage of the modern era was Dominik Hasek's .937 in 1998-1999. "
    Posted by OlsonicCreations[/QUOTE]

I think the important question is WHY are people complaining when the team is doing so well?

Where is this frustration coming from?

1) When the team wins they *sometimes* seem to be working their buts off, I attribute that to coaching.  With a team as talented as they are, the strategy appears to be outwork your opponent, it will work, it saps energy.  I place the blame for this squarely on CJ.

2) The inconsistent effort, as awesome as pounding Tampa and the Flyers was, how do they (effectively) lose against the Leafs, and the effort against the Flyers round 2 wasn't nearly as good as we have come to expect.

3) I feel that the team is reasonably different than it has been in the last few years, Wideman for Horton and adding Campbell and losing Begin I feel made this team a lot stronger, yet we see the same sort of inconsistency as we did last year and the year before.

4) The lack of emotion, especially when you see it from other teams.  I would say the Leafs "won" that game was purely by emotion.

It's easy to call people a bunch of whiners, but I think we should look at WHY people are whining.

Make no doubt that this team is a cup contender, but it is not a team that makes their fans confident.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

All the negativity on this board STINKS!!!

• Bobby Orr is not walking through that crease!
    • Rick Middleton is not walking through that crease!
    • Ray Bourque is not walking through that crease!
    • Charlie Simmer is not walking through that crease!
    • Greg Hawgood is not walking through that crease!
    All the negativity in this city sSmilecks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]All the negativity on this board STINKS!!! Bobby Orr is not walking through that crease! Rick Middleton is not walking through that crease! Ray Bourque is not walking through that crease! Charlie Simmer is not walking through that crease! Greg Hawgood is not walking through that crease! All the negativity in this city s cks!
    Posted by stingerjp[/QUOTE]
    That's quite a group of players you've added Hawgood to.Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I am complaining & I won't dispute that. I'm not whining & just because I'm not happy with their play doesn't mean I don't bleed black & gold any less than you optimist. I have expectations. These expectations are not being met. I'm very happy with the record. The record however, doesn't reflect the play. Seriously? Can all of you say that the B's have played to their potential? Do you seriously see this team giving it their all for 60 mins on most nites? Would you be 100% confident in this team if the play-offs started tomorrow? Sure we may get by the Sabers, but then what? Why am I a whiner because I think this team is flawed in some area's. Yes I know they didn't have Savvy. However, that doesn't mean that the team floats for the first 40 min, let Timmy & Rask bail them out & then come out in the 3rd & out score the other team 35-13! Do you think that the B's would be successful playing that way in the play-offs? Don't call me a troll because I'm not happy with a winning record. As I said in another post The Redwings won 62 games in 95-96 & never even got to the final dance. A winning record doesn't mean all is sunshine & rainbows! I've been a fan for a long time. I've seen a Bruins team on more than once get beat by a lesser team. I'm apprehensive about their play & their commitment to winning with the exception of the goalies.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE]I am complaining & I won't dispute that. I'm not whining & just because I'm not happy with their play doesn't mean I don't bleed black & gold any less than you optimist.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I agree with that statement, i know you love the team, I'm just saying, some people are neurotic and they probably need to be more realistic and hope we start clicking around playoff time and not worry about the 1/3 mark of the season

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm watching on Versus Philly - Pens game, at the intermission the topic was which Conference is the most difficult . Randy Jones said the East and then took the Bruins as an example. He said ;
    The Bruins are strong down the middle like no other team in the Conference and that's a huge plus.
    They are well coached with Julien.
    They have the best defenseman in the League in Chara.
    They have the best goalie in Thomas at the moment that can bring them very far into the plaoffs.
    Bruins are big , strong and built for the playoffs this season.
    I might have missed a couple of things they were saying on the behalf of the Bruins but concluded that teams better beware of the Bruins.

Funny you started this thread Ols because everything Jones said someone on this board has started a thread stating the exact opposite.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]I'm watching on Versus Philly - Pens game, at the intermission the topic was which Conference is the most difficult . Randy Jones said the East and then took the Bruins as an example. He said ; The Bruins are strong down the middle like no other team in the Conference and that's a huge plus. They are well coached with Julien. They have the best defenseman in the League in Chara. They have the best goalie in Thomas at the moment that can bring them very far into the plaoffs. Bruins are big , strong and built for the playoffs this season. I might have missed a couple of things they were saying on the behalf of the Bruins but concluded that  teams better beware of the Bruins. Funny you started this thread Ols because everything Jones said someone on this board has started a thread stating the exact opposite.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

So what he really said was....
    The Bruins lack wingers
    They do not have a great coach
    They have only one real defenseman
    A great goalie can only take you so far
    They lack small speedy guys that you need to win the cup
    LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Fletch,
    This is lucic's and krejci's 4th season, I was assuming "4 years ago" being the team that lost in game 7 to montreal, when julien took over, this is really like 3 and a half seasons ago, so maybe my assumption is wrong... but that was my take

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Great post, OC.  I fully admit that I'm part of it, althought I really don't want to be.  I know some people here love to rip me for being negative, while often times I feel I'm trying to be objective.  Yeah, I guess what we mean and what we type are two different things sometimes.

You are absolutely right, however, and it does make it much less fun to be a part of this community.

I'll try to be more positive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Great post OC ! I try to be as positive as I can in all areas of my life. Seeing all the negativity when I come on this board makes me want to pack up my bags and leave. They say they just want the team to win the cup. My question is " will the negativity help in any way, shape or form in this happening ?" If they think in their minds yes then they have more problems then not having their hockey team being successful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

A few different kinds of commentary are getting lumped together as "negativity" - some justifiably, some not.  Not to go all Tolstoy, but sports in general are riddled with the Anna Karenina principle: Championship teams are all alike, but every non-champion is flawed in its own way.  Until the team wins a championship, we'll spend most of our time trying to identify it's particular flaws.  That's not really a question of passion, either.  It's the nature of competitive sports.  If you don't believe me, keep a counter in your head for every time you head an athlete say "I just try to come out here every day and keep getting better."  How do you get better?  Identify areas where you can improve.  Address them.  Take away the trolls and the "emo" posts (Olsonic's word, not mine...but I like it) when the team sleepwalks through a game, loses to the Leafs, or fails to have each others' backs, and that's what most of the critical posts are doing - identifying areas where the team can be better and suggesting ways to address them.  Criticism means evaluating based on careful observation and judgement; it doesn't have to be negative.

The ethic of competitive sports is that you are one of two things: the best or someone who needs to continually get better, and "the best" are usually what they are because they never stop thinking they need to get better.  Gotta be better than Howe, Richard, Gretzky, gotta be better than Shore, Harvey, Orr, Bourque.  I love the old Vince Lombardi line that perfection is not attainable, but if you chase perfection, you can catch excellence.  I think that's what we're usually asking for from the teams we support.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Hopefully the negative posters will read this thread and take a more positive track going forward. Unfortunately, the real problem posters haven't responded here. Yet. NAS aside, the folks on this particular thread are generally not too negative. And even NAS, although often negative, brings something to the table. Nice to see him looking to be more positive as I enjoy his posts more often than not. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In order to have spirited discussion about anything, it's beneficial to see comments from as many angles as possible.  Only conversing back and forth with like minded individuals, and only choosing to consider those opinions, doesn't do much to expand anyones awareness, or knowledge base.
    Above, nitemare-38(a self admitted complainer, not whiner) posts his concern regarding the B's compete level.  That bugs the heck out of me too, and I've mentioned it here.  He goes on to mention the Red Wings reg season record in 95-96.  Although I agree with one part of his post, I disagree with the Red Wing correlation, as it serves to temper my alarm about the B's feistiness.  If the regular season doesn't mean that much(and we know it doesn't)....why am I so bothered about something that will change many times between now and April?  We're only 1/3 of the way through playoff practice. 
    We agree some...we disagree some.  What's so bad about that?
    I appreciate respectful opinions...positive or negative.  If someone here wants to post a thought, they need to understand, that thought is open to debate, and there is a responsibility to validate, or provide some logic to substantiate their opinion.
    I've read some great stuff here(some positive, some negative), and i've read some garbage.  The sum of which has made me a more informed B's fan.
    Thanks
    Happy Holidays

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

I must say that I get negative on one issue which is coaching and the lack of consistency which is directly related to lack of leadership.  I get pissed off with all these constant posts ripping Wheeler, Bergeron, Lucic, Ference and until he was traded, Hunwick.  But I still come back looking for good posts from knowledgable Bruins fans to see if I'm seeing the same thing while watching the game that they are seeing.  I've been on this board for a couple of years and for the most part know which posters are intelligent well spoken Bruins fans, and posters who are just fools looking for attention.

Keep positive-- Go Bruins!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE]Sports in general are riddled with the Anna Karenina principle: Championship teams are all alike, but every non-champion is flawed in its own way.  Until the team wins a championship, we'll spend most of our time trying to identify it's particular flaws. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

That's a very interesting concept, I've never heard it before. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Lets take a deeper look at some of the things that are concerning me along with the lack of compete.  Chara in his Norris year they kept his ice time around 24 minutes to keep him playing well, this year he is playing around 27 minutes.  Tim Thomas is on pace to play 59 games this year, only one goalie who played that many games made it out of the first round last season and Thomas has a history of tiring and have bad games when played this much.  Rask an almost identical save percentage as last season which gave him a dominanat winning record this year he is 2-6-1-1.  Our record has been produced by over playing our top players at a rate that is going to leave them too tired to produce in the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Fletch, This is lucic's and krejci's 4th season, I was assuming "4 years ago" being the team that lost in game 7 to montreal, when julien took over, this is really like 3 and a half seasons ago, so maybe my assumption is wrong... but that was my take
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Fair enough roler.  I was taking it as 2010-2011, minus 4, = 2006-2007.  I understand where you are coming from and that 1 year makes quite a difference, as it was truly the transition from the Dave Lewis days to the current Julien team.

Cheers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Orrthebest: a good example of a post that criticizes by using careful observation to identify a potential weakness in the team.  Some might disagree with your characterization of some of the consequences, but this is still a perfect demonstration of an analytical post that might be taken as a negative one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

How are Bruins fans "spoiled", as has been mentioned in one of these "quit complaining" posts?

Red Sox fans, since 2004--sure. Pats fans? No doubt. Celtics fans--obviously.

But how is it fair to take the frustrations of loyal Bruins fans--many who have been watching and waiting and hoping since the Orr years--for ONE stinking Stanley Cup, and call them "spoiled" or "whiners"?

If 1972 is ancient history for you--how about the fact that the team hasn't advanced beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs even once in the past 18 years????

Look--lest I get heaped with abuse yet again for demanding more from the ONLY Boston-based franchise that's gone nearly 4 decades now without a title--let me say that i HAVE been encouraged since the PC era began that this team is moving in the right direction. There's a good corps of young players and some veteran signings I really like (Savard).

But it is completely fair for Bruins fans to criticize, scrutinize, and yes, even COMPLAIN about any perceived flaws they see BECAUSE of the very fact that there has been such a long and pronounced title drought COMBINED WITH an extremely pathetic almost 20-year span of playoff futility mixed in with a far-too-glaring amount of DNQ's.

I will keep cheering on this team--watching virtually every game as I always do--but I will NOT be bullied into keeping quiet when I see problems* with a team I have a right to expect more from.

*And there are some, whether you want to admit it or not: A lack of offensive production from the current blue line corps, too much reliance on stellar goaltending to win games (which will not work in the long run over a grueling 82-game season and an even more punishing playoffs), a bewildering reluctance to allow more ice time for Seguin, not to mention pairing him w/better linemates, which points to a coaching critique that's not out of line, and the need for at least one more serious ofensive sniper/scoring threat to compete w/the higher-powered offensive teams in the conference.

There's a difference between whining and voicing legitimate concerns and hopes, and yes, expecting more from a franchise that--it is impossible to argue--has not delivered what it should to its very loyal fans.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE]Orrthebest: a good example of a post that criticizes by using careful observation to identify a potential weakness in the team.  Some might disagree with your characterization of some of the consequences, but this is still a perfect demonstration of an analytical post that might be taken as a negative one.

agreed. legit concerns orr

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Orrthebest: a good example of a post that criticizes by using careful observation to identify a potential weakness in the team.  Some might disagree with your characterization of some of the consequences, but this is still a perfect demonstration of an analytical post that might be taken as a negative one.

BB - Excellent point! Clearly there is a fine line between a negative post and a critical post. It often is just in how the poster chooses to deliver his criticism. You, for example have been fairly critical of the ema for various things but I can't honestly think of a single post by you that I would classify as negative. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

There's another subtle effect I see here a lot too.  Most people have subjects that they are particularly passionate about.  Passion and objectivity are birds that rarely roost together, so sometimes even otherwise sensible (not necessarily positive!) posters can go on a rant that makes it seem like they want to burn down the TD FleetNorthBankCenter Garden (or whatever it is called now, I've lost track).

It's useful to identify these subjects for different posters, and when they go on a rant recognize that while there may be useful points in their post, chances are their view will be far more black-and-white than usually makes sense; and that attempts at persuading them otherwise won't generally go well.