Long Live The Whale!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Long Live The Whale!!!

Article on my second favorite team of all time. Funny, I didn't realize how many future NHL coaches the team actually produced until reading this. As per Sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/whalers-have-a-lasting-legacy-in-the-nhl/

Brass Bonanza is once again playing in my head!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Long Live The Whale!!!

It makes me wonder if they were able to get a new arena,whether the Whalers would have survived in Hartford. Having gone to games there JM,was there enough fan support or did Karmanos just take the easy way out? Was there enough corporate support and backing. I used to love watching the B's/Whale match ups, always seemed to be fireworks!  

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Went to many a Whale game as a kid too. Yes, fan support was always awesome. Corporate support not so much. Local financial cash crunch and lack of corporate backing did them in in the end. Miss that damn mall....lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

An arena and the corporate support needed for that would have kept them in Hartford but I'm not sure if that would ever have happened in such close proximity to Boston. Karmanos didn't just lose patience and bolt for the $outh as Whale fans often lament....it just wasn't going to work in Hartford. Ever. Too close to Boston and too close to NYC.

Fan support was rabid but small. Home games against the Bruins were at least 30% or more B's fans. Non-Bruins home games were maybe 20% Bruins fans who lived close enough to Hartford to catch an NHL game without the expense and hassle of going to Boston. I was one of them. I think a huge part of the Whale fan base were B's fans who adopted Hartford as their 1A team. But when push came to shove they were B's fans at heart.

That being said, I miss the Whale, too. Great uni!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That being said, I miss the Whale, too. Great uni!

[/QUOTE]

Loved their jerseys, one of my all time favourites.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqyrwSLk6So

I thought the Whalers finally had the Canadiens in 92'. This was a heck of a game and a great call when Cole could remember players names.

Bring back Trent Whitfield!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fan support was rabid but small. Home games against the Bruins were at least 30% or more B's fans. Non-Bruins home games were maybe 20% Bruins fans who lived close enough to Hartford to catch an NHL game without the expense and hassle of going to Boston. I was one of them. I think a huge part of the Whale fan base were B's fans who adopted Hartford as their 1A team. But when push came to shove they were B's fans at heart.

/QUOTE]

I would say this is spot on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Loved the B's-Whale rivalry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw2pA5dxEIA

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I can't look at a Dallas Stars jersey without thinking of the Whalers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't look at a Dallas Stars jersey without thinking of the Whalers.

[/QUOTE]

Same here RHO, and the Whale still do pretty good in the merchandising department.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Same here RHO, and the Whale still do pretty good in the merchandising department.

[/QUOTE]

Does that still go into the pockets of the Canes ownership?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Truthfully, that franchise sucked.  The building sucked, management sucked, ownership sucked.  The "H" in the middle of the "W" was about the coolest thing about the Hartford Whalers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Paul "Blacky" Lawless was cool.

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Paul "Blacky" Lawless was cool.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he definitely was an "animal"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Truthfully, that franchise sucked.  The building sucked, management sucked, ownership sucked.  The "H" in the middle of the "W" was about the coolest thing about the Hartford Whalers.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody is saying the team or organization was awesome but they did have some good teams and legendary players and are part of the history of the NHL. And more than a few of us on these boards have fond memories seeing some of the games.....that alone is worthy of some chat. No?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Whalers history, summarized in one paragraph:

Hartford Whalers

McGuire joined the Hartford Whalers on August 28, 1992 as an assistant coach and on September 8, 1993 became the team's assistant general manager.[15] On November 16, 1993, McGuire was named head coach of the Whalers. He replaced Paul Holmgren, who had stepped aside due to frustration with a lack of effort from his players and a desire to focus on his role as the team's general manager.[16] At 32, McGuire was the youngest head coach in the NHL. Prior to becoming coach of the Whalers, McGuire had never been a head coach at any level. During his six months as Whalers head coach, McGuire coached the team to a 23-37-7 record.[17] McGuire was fired on May 19, 1994. After McGuire was fired, captain Pat Verbeek called it the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said that his teammates had no respect for McGuire and that McGuire was mocked by other teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nobody is saying the team or organization was awesome but they did have some good teams and legendary players and are part of the history of the NHL. And more than a few of us on these boards have fond memories seeing some of the games.....that alone is worthy of some chat. No?

[/QUOTE]

And here I am participating in that chat.  No?

I think I am.  No?

The topic is the Whalers and I posted about the Whalers.  No?

I am allowed to have an opinion on the Whalers also.  No?

Why do people end thoughts with "no"?  That's not how people talk.  No?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Aww NAS. It was not meant to be a challenge or anything. Just pointing out why a team that had so little success during its run still has its share of fans and merch sales.

What ultimately did them in was being a tough division during an era where the playoff format was a bit wonky, to put it kindly. The Adams division was no treat to be sure. Now, if they were in the Norris things may have been different. Damn geography!!

Oh well, Long Live the Whale!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think their downfall was stupid trade after stupid trade.  Pronger for Shanahan.  Francis, Samuelsson and Jennings for Cullen, Zalapski and Jeff Parker.  Ray Ferraro for Doug Crossman.  Scott Young for Doug Houda.

What a disaster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think their downfall was stupid trade after stupid trade.  Pronger for Shanahan.  Francis, Samuelsson and Jennings for Cullen, Zalapski and Jeff Parker.  Ray Ferraro for Doug Crossman.  Scott Young for Doug Houda.

What a disaster.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, those are just horrible. Especially the Francis-Cullen fiasco....one of the worst trades ever.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Pronger for Shanahan sticks out there, though.  You trade a 2nd overall pick for a 26 year old 50 goal scorer if you can, don't you?  Especially pre-cap era.  There was no sure path for Pronger to become the player he eventually became, and Shanahan scored 44 goals in his one full year with the Whale.  What killed the Whale on this one was the diminishing returns from Pronger.  Shanahan for the next decade would have given them one of the game's best power forwards in exchange for one of its best defensemen.  Net loss but not a huge one.  Trading Shanahan for Primeau and Coffey seemed like it might have legs given Coffey was coming off a point/game season and Primeau was developing into Lindros-lite without the drama - 26 goals, 52 points, 168 Pims the year before the deal - but then Coffey lasted 20 games and was gone for the forgettable Kevin Haller and a first round pick that they then traded for a 2nd and a 3rd - producing nobody.  Primeau went to Philly for Brind'Amour, who went years without producing like his best Philly days.  So it ended up being Pronger for fading Brind'Amour - a disaster only mitigated by the team rebuilding around Staal and winning a Cup just in time.

No help for the Whale, though.  Much overlooked is the terrible relationship they had with Calgary.  They made all sorts of deals taking on Flames cast-offs, it seemed, and though they weren't giving up a lot for them, the guys they got sure didn't help.  Didn't help either side, which led to the Flames' decline as surely as 60 cent dollar did.

Are you not entertained?!?!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from btrentor. Show btrentor's posts

One stupid fact I always note is that the team was named "Whaler" after the fisherman or attacker, not the "Whale" or the hunted animal. Over the years it seemed to get morphed...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I really liked the drive to Hartford, it was nothing from where I lived to see a road game. In the eighties it was a great rivalry and had some intense games. But there is no illusion, for me, that it should come back or that Hartford could support a team again.

Connecticut is split between Boston and New York teams now. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Growing up in CT I could always get tix to the B's games from some Whaler season ticket holders I knew. I remember my friend saying "You won't catch any of the Whaler fans at a Bruins or Rangers game, it is simply unbearable to be outnumbered in your own building 2-1".

Saw some great games and some great concerts (Grateful Dead, Clapton, Allman Bros, etc) at that monstrosity in the middle of the Mall.

Where have you gone Mike Liut? Whale nation turns it's lonely eyes to you

Sections
Shortcuts