Look, It's Time!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Look, It's Time!!!

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another thread...??

I want him to leave just we can talk about somebody else...

By and large, I agree jmw.  Just can't beleive there are so many Thornton threads.  What do bogie and Stanley think?

[/QUOTE]

Well scott thornton is pretty good figure skater on the battle of the blades so maybe their is future for thorntons to be figure skaters. LOL

[/QUOTE]

haha...actually, Scott would have made an excellent Bruin in his time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Role players.......

Some people on this board are oblivious to why they are on the team. Thornton does his job, which Bruins coaches and management like to have, better then anyone else in the organization for that spot in the lineup.

I think of the Dragnet song everytime a thread like this comes up about 22  .........       " dumb da dumb dumb ".

Clueless !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm sure you all expect me to say, Right on. Sure I think Thornton has worn out his on ice value, and I don't see an Orr or Scott or any other 4 minute puncher filling in. As long as Claude wants to rotate four lines, they should all have skills and toughness or a pugnacious resume like Lucic, Marchand, maybe Rielly Smith, and Campbell. There are a number of teams who have big, fast, and pugnacious talents. It's also advantageous to have McQ available to take on any of the goons, as he has. And let's not forget Chara, even though noone wants him in the box, he is a deterrant to the cheapshots, and the rest of the D can usually fill in quite well. This is the balance that could help the Bruins play a tough , solid game. Actually being tough is what adds value to Boychuck to offset his flailing decision maker.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm sure you all expect me to say, Right on. Sure I think Thornton has worn out his on ice value, and I don't see an Orr or Scott or any other 4 minute puncher filling in. As long as Claude wants to rotate four lines, they should all have skills and toughness or a pugnacious resume like Lucic, Marchand, maybe Rielly Smith, and Campbell. There are a number of teams who have big, fast, and pugnacious talents. It's also advantageous to have McQ available to take on any of the goons, as he has. And let's not forget Chara, even though noone wants him in the box, he is a deterrant to the cheapshots, and the rest of the D can usually fill in quite well. This is the balance that could help the Bruins play a tough , solid game. Actually being tough is what adds value to Boychuck to offset his flailing decision maker.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should ask Savard/Erickson/Horton if they think having Chara on the bench was a detterent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bogie6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should ask Savard/Erickson/Horton if they think having Chara on the bench was a detterent.

[/QUOTE]

Those three incidents don't necessarily mean anyone's presence is not a deterrent...we cannot determine how many times a cheapshot did NOT happen because Thornton or Chara or whomever was on the ice at the time.

Unfortunately, there will always be cheapshot artists that disregard any repercussions whatsoever - all a GM/Coach can do is try to minimize those incidents by dressing the players that meet that role.

The Bruins GM/Coach understand ST's role better than we do and when they feel it is not working any longer, they'll make the change.

For the record, like anyone else - I would like ST to contribute more (scoring) with his limited ice time, but I am OK with 4th line minutes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

I

[/QUOTE]

Those three incidents don't necessarily mean anyone's presence is not a deterrent...we cannot determine how many times a cheapshot did NOT happen because Thornton or Chara or whomever was on the ice at the time.

Unfortunately, there will always be cheapshot artists that disregard any repercussions whatsoever - all a GM/Coach can do is try to minimize those incidents by dressing the players that meet that role.

The Bruins GM/Coach understand ST's role better than we do and when they feel it is not working any longer, they'll make the change.

For the record, like anyone else - I would like ST to contribute more (scoring) with his limited ice time, but I am OK with 4th line minutes.

[/QUOTE]

You are talking about something theoretical, like you said, 'something we dont know about'

While you could be right, i personally dont think so.

We KNOW that Chara/Thornton/McQuaid/Lucic were on the team when most of those cheapshots happend. Having the possibility of having the snot beat out of them did nothing to deter those.

The 'deterrent' logic is a myth.

The players who play that 'role' are going extinct.

Players who play dirty, will play dirty regardless of whos on the other teams bench.

As far as ST scoring. I dont expect him to. I expect him to skate hard, and finish checks. When I watch him play I see him miss more checks than I see him land ones. I dont dislike him, but i would much rather have someone called up and get used to the NHL pace of the game than have him there. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UtahBruin. Show UtahBruin's posts

I like ST and believe he has been an important part of the team but I dont think he has been the same since he was KO'd by Scott.

It seems, to me, that Campell has been responding (and loosing) when Thornton should. which gets me wondering if he is still needed.

Also, I dont know how much more I can take of his low percentage shots and cross corner dump ins on a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2's.

It is time to start cutting down on dressing him and start rotating Caron in more often.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Not only Fraser would be a better job (fighting wise) but he would also contribute to the scoreboard and be a great duo with Paille ....how come the management doest see that ??

it doesnt take such a big brain to realize that Thornton cant skate in this league anymore.....dont get me wrong Shawn has been very dedicated all his carrer but as jmwalters is saying ....its time !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Bogie?

I think Thornton still does a good job of the 12th forward role.  Simple plays, lots of enthusiasm.  I don't want a scorer in that spot, feeling bummed out getting 5-10 minutes a game, trying to do more then they can in the role they are given.  I also don't want a talented prospect losing confidence not playing.  In the playoffs maybe, but not in game 16 or 17 of the regular season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bogie?

I think Thornton still does a good job of the 12th forward role.  Simple plays, lots of enthusiasm.  I don't want a scorer in that spot, feeling bummed out getting 5-10 minutes a game, trying to do more then they can in the role they are given.  I also don't want a talented prospect losing confidence not playing.  In the playoffs maybe, but not in game 16 or 17 of the regular season.

[/QUOTE]

I beg you pardon ???   He is the 2nd slowest player in the NHL ...1st being Parros

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bogie?

[/QUOTE]

I beg you pardon ???   He is the 2nd slowest player in the NHL ...1st being Parros

[/QUOTE]

Thornton isn't especially slow, and even if he was I don't think that has anything to do with what I said.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Give the clown this: he has a nose for picking up loose pucks.  We should mock his tendency to take wild, off target shots - guy's never met a turnaround wrister he didn't think was money - but he has 23 shots mostly because he makes plays to break up the break out.  When that line is playing well, he's fast enough to be part of hemming the opposition in for a stretch, which is usually a plus and sometimes means the Bruins get the Krejci line on against a line that has been defending for 40 seconds already.  My biggest beef with 22 has been his tendency to take epic shifts, but that hasn't been the case this year.  He's out for his 42 seconds and off.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I beg you pardon ??"

Post of the thread!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:[QUOTE]Bogie?

I don't want a scorer in that spot, feeling bummed out getting 5-10 minutes a game, trying to do more then they can in the role they are given.  I also don't want a talented prospect losing confidence not playing.  In the playoffs maybe, but not in game 16 or 17 of the regular season. [/QUOTE]

Why do you think Marchand did fine with his brief time on the 4th line ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Role players.......

Some people on this board are oblivious to why they are on the team. Thornton does his job, which Bruins coaches and management like to have, better then anyone else in the organization for that spot in the lineup.

I think of the Dragnet song everytime a thread like this comes up about 22  .........       " dumb da dumb dumb ".

Clueless !

[/QUOTE]

Thank GOD an intelligent voice of reason who actually gets it! Who doesn't talk like some homeless person & talks to ANYONE who will listen to same fawking story....OVER & OVER again! It's like the intelligent posters are becoming trolls themselves & occupying this forum with the same old S-H-I-T!! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

As our resident Jethro states..."why doesn't management get this".

Thay's really the point folks.  For all of you who constantly post about ST's worthlessness....the other side of your logic suggests the entire management group are idiots.  

We know the best 18 talents don't necessarily make the best, winningest team.  Therefore, suggesting a more talented 4th liner will yield better results for the Bruins is theoretical emptiness.  The fact this garbage is floated so often, makes it worse.

As fletch points out, it would be nice if clowns weren't needed, however, it appears the league as a whole disagrees.  It seems incredulous to me...that there are people here who would rather have Lucic and Chara, or a top 6 D dancing around with the other teams idiot.  This team, with this make-up and chemistry has gone to the SC finals 2 out of the last 3 years.  They've made some big moves, yet stuck with this guy.  S'pose they know something we don't?????  

In defence of the OP...the intent of his thread got hijacked.  In reference to that, I hadn't noticed ST becoming disinterested in his role, however, I agree that he needs to remember his job description.  If not, his minimal "on ice' value is diminished.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE We know the best 18 talents don't necessarily make the best, winningest team

Gee !   The BRUINS are in business ...cause we have the less talented player in the NHL on our 4th line ....lets keep him ...woooo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to OatesCam's comment:[QUOTE]Bogie?

I don't want a scorer in that spot, feeling bummed out getting 5-10 minutes a game, trying to do more then they can in the role they are given.  I also don't want a talented prospect losing confidence not playing.  In the playoffs maybe, but not in game 16 or 17 of the regular season. [/QUOTE]

Why do you think Marchand did fine with his brief time on the 4th line ?

[/QUOTE]

Marchand wasn't in the 12 spot, he was in the 10 spot.  Big difference.  Paille gets 10:23 a game, Thornton gets 8:00.  That extra 2.5 minutes is 4 or 5 extra shifts a game, and that's a lot.  When Marchand was on the fourth line he could get some penalty kills or an extra shift here or there, like Paille does now.  If you put a new guy in Thornton's spot and want to give hime the opportunity that Marchand got, you're going to have to cut into someone else's ice time, because Thornton doesn't get enough.

It takes a certain type of character to play 8 minutes, enjoy it and do a decent job.  You also have to be OK with not taking chances and make fancy plays because your job is just to tire out the other team until the much better lines can get on the ice.  Thornton has the personality to fill that role perfectly.  A more talented player will get sour and/or lose their confidence in that situation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

As an AHL player wanting to make the grade, I would take the 8-10 minutes in a heartbeat than ride the bus.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

What I'm saying is, it would be nice to have someone younger get in a dozen or so games this season when the Bruins DONT need ST there to deal with the other clowns, which is generally widely accepted as his role. I cant see how something like that is upsetting people. Seems pretty logical. I understand ST's role and appreciate it, but in todays nhl, thats not a role you need to play 82 games a year.

Dress him when you need him.

Sections
Shortcuts