Look, It's Time!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Look, It's Time!!!

Put me in the "let's get rid of Shawn Thornton" camp finally. I have been resisting this because I am one of those who does feel there is a need to have at least one heavy in the lineup. Last night, however, was the final straw for me.

It is painfully obvious that ST can no longer fill that role. This season he has either avoided dropping the mitts like the plague or, when forced to do so, clearly tries to end it as quick as possible by tying up the opponent and calling in the refs or even "tripping" a few seconds in. The only engagement he looked even remotely interested in was against Barch, his own personal punching bag.

He is clearly no longer capable of fullfilling his duties and it is becoming embarrassing to watch.

Please hang em up!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Re: Look, It's Time!!!

Yes I admire his work ethic and toughness and his contributions in the 2011 Cup win but I think he is becoming a liability as he gets older and slower and the league gets faster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Another thread...??

I want him to leave just we can talk about somebody else...

By and large, I agree jmw.  Just can't beleive there are so many Thornton threads.  What do bogie and Stanley think?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Put me in the "let's get rid of Shawn Thornton" camp finally. I have been resisting this because I am one of those who does feel there is a need to have at least one heavy in the lineup. Last night, however, was the final straw for me.

It is painfully obvious that ST can no longer fill that role. This season he has either avoided dropping the mitts like the plague or, when forced to do so, clearly tries to end it as quick as possible by tying up the opponent and calling in the refs or even "tripping" a few seconds in. The only engagement he looked even remotely interested in was against Barch, his own personal punching bag.

He is clearly no longer capable of fullfilling his duties and it is becoming embarrassing to watch.

Please hang em up!!

[/QUOTE]

Last year of his deal.  He makes more then mason raymond.  Bye bye clown.  Take your 2 fraud stanley cups and run.  The sad thing is he will be signed by some team.  And i wont be shocked if its by the Bruins.  This team has enough tough players.  McQ lucic chara and campy all very willing.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Another thread...??

By and large, I agree jmw.  Just can't beleive there are so many Thornton threads.  What do bogie and Stanley think?

I wanted a thread not to talk about  what some AHL flavour of the month can come up and play on the 4rth line but to talk Thornton. This is not about the merits of fighting in the league or its team value or if some farm hand can add more skill to the lineup but the fact that this team has a heavy that no longer fights...and in fact avoids it as best he can.

I want a heavy so the likes of Lucic, Iginla, and Chara are not obligated to do so. Nor is it especially fun to watch Campbell get beat up every second night.

ST needs to be replaced by someone who can do his job better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I guess, if you trust the coach and the GM, then he stays for now.  Likely more "good in the room" than an effective enforcer anymore. 

Agree with the sentiment though, he seems to have lost his taste for it.  Maybe the John Scott has altered the approach.  ST has 1 more fighting major than McQuaid and Iginla, 2 more than Campbell and 3 more than Jordan Caron.  There are better options for his 8 minutes of TOI. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Another thread...??

[/QUOTE]

I wanted a thread not to talk about  what some AHL flavour of the month can come up and play on the 4rth line but to talk Thornton. This is not about the merits of fighting in the league or its team value or if some farm hand can add more skill to the lineup but the fact that this team has a heavy that no longer fights...and in fact avoids it as best he can.

I want a heavy so the likes of Lucic, Iginla, and Chara are not obligated to do so. Nor is it especially fun to watch Campbell get beat up every second night.

ST needs to be replaced by someone who can do his job better.

[/QUOTE]

We dont need another clown.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There is a strong argument for this sentiment but unless we want to see the likes of Orr and McLaren running around, or trading majors with the likes of Lucic and Chara then there definitely is a place for it. Its simply the reality of today's NHL. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Zac Rinaldo!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

There is a strong argument for this sentiment but unless we want to see the likes of Orr and McLaren running around, or trading majors with the likes of Lucic and Chara then there definitely is a place for it. Its simply the reality of today's NHL. 

[/QUOTE]

That's the one issue for me to.  Part of the Bruins swagger seems to be based on toughness and the notion that if team's want to try to escalate things, the Bruins will galdly oblige.  I think things change a little when Colton Orr or Brian McGratton can come in hard on Rask at the whistle and then wait for Chara or Lucic to say something.  Then suddenly the Bruins are in a position of turning the other cheek, avoiding the confrontation, and that kinda changes the feeling of this team.

Now I don't think Thornton does a very good job at any of this, these days, so I'm not using him to justify have a goon or whatever.  It would be nice if nobody had goons.  But if you decide that the Bruins don't need a goon at all, there may come a backlash at some point in the culture and swagger of the locker room.  I don't like having Chara or Lucic fighting 4th line goons, but I also don't like the Bruins having to turn the other cheek in the face of confrontation.  I don't think the skill players like it either, as toughness seems to be part of the Bruin history and current mojo.

Again, not saying a goon is the way to be 'tough', but when the Bruins play Vancouver for example, and Tom Sestito is playing dirty and snowing Rask, I would prefer to have him be confronted by someone besides a skill player or even one of the 6 D-men.  If they do it, Sestito is applauded for disrupting things and taking a better player off the ice with him.

Not defending Thornton here, but I think people might regret not having a designated fighter in some games, as long as other teams still have them.  Especially when your M.O. is toughness (and it's been working).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]

Please hang em up!!

[/QUOTE]

His leadership goes beyond just hiting people in the face.  Just last post season i recall him getting in Tyler face to get him going. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Worded perfectly Fletch!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Ugh.

When do pure goons "run around" and, my favorite phrase on the subject, "take liberties"?

They really don't.  They take up space, lag behind the play, contribute next to nothing on offense or defense and fight other goons. 

Thornton has been useless for years.  My thoughts on his role are well known.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doesnt have to be.  Orr ran around last year and no one did anything about it.  if we wanna have a clown make it a 2way contract.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Please hang em up!!

[/QUOTE]

His leadership goes beyond just hiting people in the face.  Just last post season i recall him getting in Tyler face to get him going. 

[/QUOTE]

That worked well.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Please hang em up!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That worked out well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Can't wait to see the announcement of a Thornton extension. My word this board will go ballistic. I can see it coming LoL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can't wait to see the announcement of a Thornton extension. My word this board will go ballistic. I can see it coming LoL

[/QUOTE]

So can i san dawgy dawg.  I think they will resign him as well. 2 year 1.6 m.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And during the press conference PC wil say,"we think we can get more out of him. He has more to offer."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

And replace him with who ? Jordan Caron ? please

Anybody who has some offense to offer doesn't fill the 4th line role that Thornton owns, if they did the last thing you'd do is let Greg the human centrifuge Campbell center them.

Tonight on NESN... can the B's win the cup without making a move to get the 4th line going? Set those dvr's

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

With guys like Orr, Parros, Kassian and McLaren in the division we're going to need something as well. I wonder what Colorado would have to have for Bordeleau? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'd be happy to see Thornton on his way out sooner rather than later, but accept that he seems appreciated by the team - and that replacing his limited ice time won't likely make a big change in the performance of the team.

One recent event really irks me though.  That Campbell-Winchester fight.  Isn't being in that fight the entirety of the purpose of having him in the line-up, size mismatch be damned?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE] Can't wait to see the announcement of a Thornton extension. My word this board will go ballistic. I can see it coming LoL [/QUOTE]

So can i san dawgy dawg.  I think they will resign him as well. 2 year 1.6 m.  [/QUOTE]

Nope has too be 6 years to satisfy PC.

PS. With a NMC

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

[QUOTE]

Please hang em up!!

[/QUOTE]

FINALLY !

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Another thread...??

Well scott thornton is pretty good figure skater on the battle of the blades so maybe their is future for thorntons to be figure skaters. LOL

Sections
Shortcuts