Looking for Clarity

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Looking for Clarity

After listening to Cherry, KPD, D and C, Felger, I need to have some thing clarified. If Orpik's hit was "a hockey play" or "clean", then how does Eriksson get a concussion?  

Likewise, how does "slew foot" enter the conversation when speaking of Thornton's pugilism on Orpik.  There was no slew foot.  The Ref's hand goes up, Orpik lurches backward, thenThornton thrusts him to the ice.  What Thorton did is horrible, but get the action correct.  

BTW Orpik gets a concussion and the media coverage, rightfully so.  Orpik is granted immunity on his hit on Eriksson even though Eriksson gets a concussion? What?

Clarity please!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Looking for Clarity

In response to islamorada's comment:

After listening to Cherry, KPD, D and C, Felger, I need to have some thing clarified. If Orpik's hit was "a hockey play" or "clean", then how does Eriksson get a concussion?  

Likewise, how does "slew foot" enter the conversation when speaking of Thornton's pugilism on Orpik.  There was no slew foot.  The Ref's hand goes up, Orpik lurches backward, thenThornton thrusts him to the ice.  What Thorton did is horrible, but get the action correct.  

BTW Orpik gets a concussion and the media coverage, rightfully so.  Orpik is granted immunity on his hit on Eriksson even though Eriksson gets a concussion? What?

Clarity please!

I think you are gonna get opinions on this bc none of us are experts.  I dont think it was a targeted head shot but orpik is a heavy open ice hitter and got the head.  I think it was a hockey play looking to make a big hit.  I do think after watching it a bunch that it wasnt timed right.  Back in the day isnt today but back in the day players tried to time it perfectly and make no bones about it orpik wanted to land a heavy hit.  Suspension worthy?  possibly....for me personally i dont think it is but also wouldnt be against it if the league took action.   I also think the league will eventually take open ice hitting out of the game bc there is no way players can deliver these monster hits without hitting head sometimes based on the different sizes of players, the speed and not controlling what the intended victim does.   For me i dont think orpik intended to get head.  No pun intended.  Scott Stevens is lucky his career was early bc he never makes the hall and likely would have been out of the league.  Boy times have changed.  And i dont think for the better. 

As for ST, i believe he had a brain cramp moment, i believe he messed up, he realizes that now, i think he yanked a player from behind using that players momentum to get him down, essentially thats how a slew foot works(using the others players weight against them).   

there was a lot of ugly stuff out there.  I tend to agree more with fletch that the neal play is the greasy play of the game.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Clarity please!

Exactly, everyone has an opinion, i don't think the hit was clean and Claude Julien doesn't either but a few posters on this board and most Penguins fans think it was clean. I guess its whichever view suits your argument i guess. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Clarity please!

I think you are gonna get opinions on this bc none of us are experts.  I dont think it was a targeted head shot but orpik is a heavy open ice hitter and got the head.  I think it was a hockey play looking to make a big hit.  I do think after watching it a bunch that it wasnt timed right.  Back in the day isnt today but back in the day players tried to time it perfectly and make no bones about it orpik wanted to land a heavy hit.  Suspension worthy?  possibly....for me personally i dont think it is but also wouldnt be against it if the league took action.   I also think the league will eventually take open ice hitting out of the game bc there is no way players can deliver these monster hits without hitting head sometimes based on the different sizes of players, the speed and not controlling what the intended victim does.   For me i dont think orpik intended to get head.  No pun intended.  Scott Stevens is lucky his career was early bc he never makes the hall and likely would have been out of the league.  Boy times have changed.  And i dont think for the better. 

As for ST, i believe he had a brain cramp moment, i believe he messed up, he realizes that now, i think he yanked a player from behind using that players momentum to get him down, essentially thats how a slew foot works(using the others players weight against them).   

there was a lot of ugly stuff out there.  I tend to agree more with fletch that the neal play is the greasy play of the game.  

I don't think Orpik intended to get head but he certainly didn't care if he hit Loui's head when he delivered his vicious open ice hit with Loui not having the puck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

My thoughts on the Orpik hit:

Bergeron gets the puck behind the net, and tries to put it off of the boards to get it to Eriksson to spring him for a breakaway.  Orpik saw the play developing, and he had a chance to lay a big open-ice hit, so he took it.  Up until here, it is a completely normal hockey play.  Boychuk tries to make this same hit, I guarantee it.  Bergeron's pass was off the mark, which made Orpik's a decision a bad one (in that it should have been called interference), but still not intentionally dirty.  The amount of head he hit looks incidental, as his body posture is completely normal for delivering a hit.  That there was a concussion is likely a result of the force of the hit - players can get concussions from completely clean hits. 

If the League had a zero-tolerance stance on head contact, he would be suspended.  They don't, he didn't go out of the way to make head contact, contact wasn't principally to the head, and there was little he could have done to mitigate the force of the hit once committing to it.  That's why he won't get suspended.

I'd say that the "slew-foot" debate is semantic.  It really doesn't matter how Thornton pulled him down, just that he did and that he punched him while he was down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not going to dissect the play (that's been done enough) but it's easy as pie to get a concussion on a clean play. Head contact isn't even required to sustain a concussion, if the neck is jarred or whipped in the appropriate way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Clarity please!

I don't think Orpik intended to get head but he certainly didn't care if he hit Loui's head when he delivered his vicious open ice hit with Loui not having the puck.

Well the refs and league missed it.  i do believe open ice hitting is going going gone.  There is no way to do it properly without risk to the victim and for the hitter    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Clarity please!

Well the refs and league missed it.  i do believe open ice hitting is going going gone.  There is no way to do it properly without risk to the victim and for the hitter    

I know that and that is why when these hits occur depending on what team you cheer for a fans view is subjective and it seems that a great hit viewed by some is dirty by others.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

The hit altho deemed to be a hockey play (I agree) wound up being as mentioned incedental contact to the head, just like the high sticking rule, a follow thu on a shot that makes contact is deemed not a penalty, so all in all its a grey area that the league need to change, It was my understanding contact to the head, intentional or not is a penalty, Do you think the players use this grey area on purpose ? ST going after Orpik is strictly because of orpiks rep as a heavy hitter, alot of times not so clean. The mention of boychuk, another heavy hitter but he is wise to where and when to hit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

If you are speaking of whiplash, then correct.  So then the logical conclusion to whiplash as a theory is the puck did not touch Eriksson only for him to look backward for the puck. He then opened himself to the Orpik clean hit.  Yet, intentional or not, a penalty for hitting the head is warranted.  The rules guide the game demand a penalty or suspension if in fact the NHL wants to reduce concussions.

To wit: The beloved hockey code, don't hit a player if you see his number or using your stick in an unwielding manner, then why is it ok to level a player in the open ice with his head down.  Eriksson is not a rookie, or 1st year junior, he was leveled by Orpik in disrepect to the hockey code.  Orpik deserves a suspension.  He deserves a label as a dirty player.

I don't want hitting, fighting or aggressive play eliminated from the game.  I expect clarity on what is the rule, or even what is the code?  

In response to red75's comment:

Not going to dissect the play (that's been done enough) but it's easy as pie to get a concussion on a clean play. Head contact isn't even required to sustain a concussion, if the neck is jarred or whipped in the appropriate way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Shupe I agree with your points, I don't wish to have bold print to ever be true.  I know Orpik is a heavy hitter and not nimble on his skates, but he could have hip checked or thrown his back (ala Subban on Marchand a year ago) into Eriksson just as well.  As Red indicated the "whiplash" concussion could have still happened but the head of Eriksson would not have been questioned.  Orpik was dirty clean. 

Clarity please!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Shupe I agree with your points, I don't wish to have bold print to ever be true.  I know Orpik is a heavy hitter and not nimble on his skates, but he could have hip checked or thrown his back (ala Subban on Marchand a year ago) into Eriksson just as well.  As Red indicated the "whiplash" concussion could have still happened but the head of Eriksson would not have been questioned.  Orpik was dirty clean. 

Clarity please!

When a player like subban does his backwards thing his body is outta control.  Orpik was in complete control and delivered a text book hit.  The problem surrounds the puck.  He didnt time it properly.  If a player has arms tucked, shoulder turned and contact with the head is made as part of the overall hit how can they possibly keep hitting in the game.  If that puck was in his skates i have zero issue with this.  But i like old school hockey better.  Today its gotta be looked at.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It was a hockey play that ended badly.  No, it wasn't clean.  There was contact with the head.  However, it was just an open ice check.  If the puck has touched his stick, it was a highlight reel explosion.

I don't think you're seeing the whole Thornton video that shows his skates.  Watch it again as he trips Orpik while pulling him backwards.  It's a slew foot all day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It's really hard with 'contact to the head' being the barometer, and I think I like the way the league has avoided an outright ban on that.  Some contact happens on big hits even if the body is taking the blow.

It's is all about targeting to me, although that makes the waters more murky for judgment.  

I look at the huge Campbell hit on Umberger in the playoffs a while back as a good hit.  90% body and then, as a consequence of the contact, 10% head.  When people run into each other with a lot of force, the head is probably going to be contacted in some way.  If the player aims for the body, takes the body, and the vast majority of the impact is taken on the body, that's a good hit, IMO.

I think Orpik's head contact, combined with coming from the blindside and hitting a player not playing the puck, makes it worse.  Not terrible, but illegal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I think Orpik's head contact, combined with coming from the blindside and hitting a player not playing the puck, makes it worse.  Not terrible, but illegal.

The head contact is bad.

Saying that he was coming from the blindside makes it seem a lot worse than the actual action.  Orpik was the defenseman on the blueline.  Eriksson is the winger.  The puck comes up the boards.  Eriksson moves to collect the pass and Orpik moves down to throw the check.  It's a routine play.  There isn't a (decent) winger on the planet that doesn't know where the opposition's pointman is on a breakout.

Not playing the puck is also a bit suggestive and unfair.  The first picture that comes to mind is a guy skating away from the puck and just getting railed.  I'd say Eriksson is playing the puck.  He's waiting for it.  It caroms off the boards oddly and he puts his stick out to get it.  Now, it's true that he didn't have possession of the puck.  Maybe "didn't have the puck" is fair?  Also, if the puck does hit his stick on the way by, which some have suggested, this theory is wrong anyway.  Here's a look at exactly where the puck was just before contact was made:

Minus the head contact, this is a beautiful timing play if that puck touches Eriksson's stick. 

It's a hockey play with bad luck arriving a millisecond too early.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

The head contact is bad.

Saying that he was coming from the blindside makes it seem a lot worse than the actual action.  Orpik was the defenseman on the blueline.  Eriksson is the winger.  The puck comes up the boards.  Eriksson moves to collect the pass and Orpik moves down to throw the check.  It's a routine play.  There isn't a (decent) winger on the planet that doesn't know where the opposition's pointman is on a breakout.

Not playing the puck is also a bit suggestive and unfair.  The first picture that comes to mind is a guy skating away from the puck and just getting railed.  I'd say Eriksson is playing the puck.  He's waiting for it.  It caroms off the boards oddly and he puts his stick out to get it.  Now, it's true that he didn't have possession of the puck.  Maybe "didn't have the puck" is fair?  Also, if the puck does hit his stick on the way by, which some have suggested, this theory is wrong anyway.  Here's a look at exactly where the puck was just before contact was made:

Minus the head contact, this is a beautiful timing play if that puck touches Eriksson's stick. 

Everything that orpik did positioning wise is perfect.   Arms tucked, knees bent, feet on the ice.  Puck hits his stick.  Loui leaning back.   Im not sure how orpik could have played it differently.  Other then not making the play.  I have no real issue with orpiks play.  Now if ST wanted to act revenge go smack Neal. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

YouTube Brooks Orpik & you will see 10 or more of these same kind of hits. The player playing the puck & Orpik just green lighting them with no regard to the puck nor respect for the player, half the time the puck is just in the vincinity. Do you think Orpik feels bad that hes knocked Ericsson out with a concussion, maybe for his career? To me its a cheap hit. He,s layed out 4-5 players causing concussions with this same play, & most everytime he,s headed to the bench right away. Thornton did wrong i,ll admit that, but Orpik should man up & answer the bell if your going around knocking someone,s teammate out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to pucman's comment:

YouTube Brooks Orpik & you will see 10 or more of these same kind of hits. The player playing the puck & Orpik just green lighting them with no regard to the puck nor respect for the player half the time the puck is just in the vincinity. Do you think Orpik feels bad that hes knocked Ericsson out with a concussion, maybe for his career? To me its a cheap hit. He,s layed out 4-5 players causing concussions with this same play, & most everytime he,s headed to the bench right away. Thornton did wrong i,ll admit that, but Orpik should man up & answer the bell if your going around knocking someone,s teammate out.

But its ok because he did everything technically correct, who cares if the puck was sorta in the vicinity and he caught "part" of Erikssons chin/head, all is well in the proper delivery of the check, thus overriding the "greenlighting of an unsuspecting player" with no intention of Orpik playing the puck that was sorta in the vicinity.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

But its ok because he did everything technically correct, who cares if the puck was sorta in the vicinity and he caught "part" of Erikssons chin/head, all is well in the proper delivery of the check, thus overriding the "greenlighting of an unsuspecting player" with no intention of Orpik playing the puck that was sorta in the vicinity.

so they say! Watch the Stamkos hit. While hes heading into the corner to retrive the puck Orpik just greenlights him with the puck 5 ft from him. No interference called! Oh, it was a hockey play. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

so they say! Watch the Stamkos hit. While hes heading into the corner to retrive the puck Orpik just greenlights him with the puck 5 ft from him. No interference called! Oh, it was a hockey play. 

I hear yah.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

NAS I do see your point as well as Fletch's point on continuance of a body check.  It is difficult not to hit the head when body checking.  I certainly have had some clarity on the argument of Orpik performing a clean hit.  I do object to the photo. It suggests Eriksson is aware of Orpik's precence as he attempts to gain control of the puck.  Eriksson had just turned his head, Orpik is aware of that fact.  Open ice hits should not be eliminated from the sport, yet I do still hold onto the fact Orpik knew of Eriksson's vulnerable postion.  He took the opportunity to take the hit.  The question still remains on what is the hockey code on a player having his head down as a target.  Certainly if one follows the code of respecting "experienced" players on the ice, Orpik should have avoided the hit.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

OK. Once again everyone is missing an important piece of info here. Again,I want to re-iterate I do not condone what ST did. That type of garbage isn't needed anywhere. BUT & it is a big but. Can we just put ourselves in ST's position for just a moment? Is it possible that in Shawn's mind there's no such thing as a hockey play gone bad? The Bruins have the most man-power loss to active players due to concussions more than any other team in the league! They lost Bergeron, Savard, Horton, Krecji, Boychuk, McQuaid, Thornton & Erikkson. I know I'm missing a few.

Every single one of these guys got concussed under ST's watch. Whether it's been clean, or dirty is irrelevent for this moment. Now a lot of NHL players say they don't pay attention to the media & what gets written, but that doesn't mean ST doesn't see what gets written. We all remember how irrate we were as Bruin fans when nobody went to Savards aid. And at that time Cookes hit was still considered legal. So, is it possible that ST just had enough? Do you think it's possible that he just said to himself. " One way, or another this SOB is getting it!" There's a bunch of us here that are saying.. "Good hit, bad hit!" What if we all were sitting on the Bruins bench? Would we give a kief of whether Orpik's hit was right, or wrong at that moment? What do you think the Bruins team sees? Now, who in the lineup is it their job of "retribution?" ST tried to engage Orpik properly & IF this was say a player like Parros vs Seids. I can see some of us wanting Seids to not engage someone who plays 4-8 mins a night against his 20. But, I just think that ST was in a catch 22 here. He made a bad choice & he'll get his 10-25 games. But, I still think that all of this is getting over-looked & talking like it's an isolated incident. Hockey is the most raw emotional sport on the planet, because of it's speed & body contact. It gets to us as fans, imagine what it gets like for the players. I truly believe that ST just said "enough is enough!"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Clarity please!

Buy yourself a flash light

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[/QUOTE]

This is a good picture. It reminds me of watching a football game and a gunner lighting up a punt returner JUST before he makes the catch. The big question I have to ask is, "Why do that to a fellow pro?" Does Orpik know he's going to absolutely blow up his target? Yep, sure does in my opinion. He's done it many times before and often the result was injury. You don't have to take hard hits from the game. Most of us love em. Whats needing to be put INTO the game, is some sense of responsibility to not endanger well-being. Orpik could have done a lot of things differently here. 1) Actually played the puck 2) Look at where his right shoulder is aimed... right at the chin. 3) Could have skated through Eriksson's right shoulder or even his left.

I love big hits, Im getting tired of the concussions and wondering whether someone's next is going to be their last played game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Regardless of all the debates the NHL has it wrong.  When a player is defenseless and he gets taken out with excess force it should be a penalty.  In the NFL its a penalty and it should be in the NHL also.

Sections
Shortcuts