Looks good on Scrooge Jacobs

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Looks good on Scrooge Jacobs

That's what happens when you sign a weak GM. Jacobs went the cheap route in the front office, and you can't do that in a cap era league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Bruins are still saving money on bad coaches, GMs, stale popcorn and skunked beer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Once JJ got the league-wide salary cap he fought so hard for, he was grinning ear to ear like the cat who ate the canary.

Now when anyone complains about the lousy teams he puts out year after year he can shrug and say "But look--we're spending to the cap! I can't be called cheap anymore"....smug in the knowledge that as a big-market club with an over-loyal fan base he will always have more than enough money to spend to a cap that will ALWAYS be cheaper than the money he would have had to dole out in the pre-cap days to put a Stanley-Cup-caliber team on the ice.

Win-win for JJ and his ever-expanding empire in Buffalo. Lose-lose for the long-suffering fan base waiting (for nearly 40 years now) back in Boston for a Stanley Cup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Hey RMillerIQof87
    The spirit of Christmas is upon me and prevents me from telling you what a d**che b*g you are and remind you that you promised to leave this board when Seguin wasn't sent back to his junior team and/or picked for the WJC and that absolutely nobody on this board (just like your family, "friends" and Canada)wants you around. So Happy Christmas you piece of human excrement. I hope you get that pair of double runners you've been asking Santa for, you useless, pitiful excuse for a human being.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Looks good on Scrooge Jacobs:
    [QUOTE]For years this flea bag would spend well below the league average and his team would always compet - but never good enough to win it all because he would not spend the extra money to bring in rental players for the stretch drive. The current team with one of the highest payroll in hockey could not hold the jock strap of yester year teams in the 80's and 90's in terms of effort, determination and overall team success. I would say things don't look very good for Chia Pet. Any league rule about firing a GM just before xmas? It would be fitting of a Jacobs Scrooge move and a great xmas present for Bruin fans.
    Posted by Taz2424[/QUOTE]
    wow,nice post about nonsense.Exactly what should Jacobs do different?And now PC is no good  because the team hasn't won the cup even though he spends the limit.Typical of you know-nothing complainers to cry about problems that aren't there when there's plenty to complain about that's real.JJ must have you brain-washed I suppose.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This is the weirdest thread in a while.  Just when I thought  Taz was trolling, he eats a troll.  Troll will eat itself?

Weird.

Jacobs is a problem but not the problem, and he's not even a problem because he's cheap.  TTBI is right - the Bruins should always turn a profit in a capped league even if they spend every dime of cap money and then some - but this shouldn't continue to affect the competitive balance of the team.  Similarly, those non-cap spending areas like scouting, coaching, GM etc?  If you drop the very top earners - who aren't generally available - and the very bottom, the range is minimal enough that another round of playoff dates every year probably more than covers the difference.  Greedy people don't miss those equations.  It's also hard to say spending more would have made a difference.  Burke costs Toronto ba-zillions.  How's that working out?  Julien is a retread - usually means he's not as cheap as an assistant or an AHL guy.  Dave Lewis was, for a long time, the most sought-after assistant in the league - basically the closest thing to bringing Scotty Bowman himself.  How'd that work again?  Mostly, the "going cheap on a GM" argument has to do with Shero trying to exact a premium from the Bruins because he preferred the Pittsburgh job.  And he's gone there and had success based on the pieces that were in place before he arrived.  Hardly a track record to break the bank.

Jacobs is the problem because he's an absentee who offers almost no motivation and support to the on-site management.  He clearly doesn't care as long as the business is properly administered.  There's no competitive ethic from on high, no vision, and no leadership.  That's still no excuse for the team below him to let problems fester.  They have a working context that should allow them to win.  Blaming Jacobs is just an excuse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Looks good on Scrooge Jacobs:
    [QUOTE]Once JJ got the league-wide salary cap he fought so hard for, he was grinning ear to ear like the cat who ate the canary. Now when anyone complains about the lousy teams he puts out year after year he can shrug and say "But look--we're spending to the cap! I can't be called cheap anymore"....smug in the knowledge that as a big-market club with an over-loyal fan base he will always have more than enough money to spend to a cap that will ALWAYS be cheaper than the money he would have had to dole out in the pre-cap days to put a Stanley-Cup-caliber team on the ice. Win-win for JJ and his ever-expanding empire in Buffalo. Lose-lose for the long-suffering fan base waiting (for nearly 40 years now) back in Boston for a Stanley Cup.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    Never one to pass up a chance to complain,maybe you can explain what Jacobs has done wrong this year.And don't bother with he took too  long to spend the money.Relevant complaints only.This blame the owner is garbage but I suppose it beats saying nothing.....or does it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]- Jacobs is the problem because he's an absentee who offers almost no motivation and support to the on-site management.  He clearly doesn't care as long as the business is properly administered.  There's no competitive ethic from on high, no vision, and no leadership.  That's still no excuse for the team below him to let problems fester.  They have a working context that should allow them to win.  Blaming Jacobs is just an excuse.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

This is true, BB. Look at the ownership of the Patriots Celtics and Sox. Championships start with ownership these days and Jacobs isn't a championship caliber owner. Yes, I'm aware that there are teams that have recently won championships without top-notch ownership but it seems to me they are becoming the exception.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Sherlock read the post again. I was no suggesting Jacobs do anything (but perhaps give bruin fans an early xmas present and fire coach Julie and Chia Pet. Again, just ironic one of the highest payrolls in hockey and the team is crap. For all I care I hope it remains crap until he makes a decision to sell the team - which will not likely happen in the near future. In Response to Re: Looks good on Scrooge Jacobs :
    obviously a big fan.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzel. Show MDsizzel's posts

[QUOTE] That's what happens when you sign a weak GM. Jacobs went the cheap route in the front office, and you can't do that in a cap era league.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

1000% Correct. Not sure why more people cannot see this.

Jacobs bought the cheapest GM money could buy and this is what you wind up with. Just another mediocre product with fancy packaging.

The names keep changing but the results remain the same.

Starts at the top people.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

Weird, dez. I concur. I think any JJ diss since the lock has been misguided anger. I think the we are getting tired of the Cj and PC issue, so some have to move up towards the ownership, which imo is lame.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]This is the weirdest thread in a while.  Just when I thought  Taz was trolling, he eats a troll.  Troll will eat itself? Weird. Jacobs is a problem but not the problem, and he's not even a problem because he's cheap.  TTBI is right - the Bruins should always turn a profit in a capped league even if they spend every dime of cap money and then some - but this shouldn't continue to affect the competitive balance of the team.  Similarly, those non-cap spending areas like scouting, coaching, GM etc?  If you drop the very top earners - who aren't generally available - and the very bottom, the range is minimal enough that another round of playoff dates every year probably more than covers the difference.  Greedy people don't miss those equations.  It's also hard to say spending more would have made a difference.  Burke costs Toronto ba-zillions.  How's that working out?  Julien is a retread - usually means he's not as cheap as an assistant or an AHL guy.  Dave Lewis was, for a long time, the most sought-after assistant in the league - basically the closest thing to bringing Scotty Bowman himself.  How'd that work again?  Mostly, the "going cheap on a GM" argument has to do with Shero trying to exact a premium from the Bruins because he preferred the Pittsburgh job.  And he's gone there and had success based on the pieces that were in place before he arrived.  Hardly a track record to break the bank. Jacobs is the problem because he's an absentee who offers almost no motivation and support to the on-site management.  He clearly doesn't care as long as the business is properly administered.  There's no competitive ethic from on high, no vision, and no leadership.  That's still no excuse for the team below him to let problems fester.  They have a working context that should allow them to win.  Blaming Jacobs is just an excuse.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

The last paragraph of your excellent post is spot-on, BB. It is 100% true that a committed and caring owner makes a difference--witness the Red Sox ownership and especially Kraft w/the Pats. The could-care-less Jacobs clan living in Buffalo and checking the bottom line figures for hot dog and beer sales at the Vault is all JJ cares about , and handing off this cash cow to his idiot son will only continue the terrible example. Players, coaches, and fans notice this stuff...and the soul-lessness of this franchise is part of what's killing it.

As for what JJ "is doing" to hurt this club (to Dez, who can't stand even one negative things aid about the Bruins ever)  I think I've made it clear that the damage has already been done. My point is simply that had baseball-type free agency remained in place (and that's not necessarily a good thing) it eventually would have forced JJ to pony up dough he didn't want to...whether or not that would have produced a Cup is not the point (obviously it failed more often than it worked for the Rangers, altho' it did work once, and that's all that franchise needed to get the "1940" chants to stop)....but JJ got what he wanted: i.e. a lower pre-set dollar amount than he would have had to pay otherwise to put a team on the ice and pull the wool over the gullibe fan base to say "oh, look, see how much I care--I'm spending to the cap!"---AGAIN: a cap he KNEW would be affordable and easily LESS than what it would have cost to bring in high-quality players otherwise in an attempt to truly compete financially for a Cup.

It's actually pretty simple. But ultimately, you're right--his worst sin is his utter indifference to bringing a title to Boston as long as he gets his money cup filled.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Barely worked TTBI as Edmonton East almost lost to the Devils and Canucks so "buying the league out" (Fred Cusick quote) almost failed by a couple of posts actually ask Pavel Bure.

I don't think an owner has to be visible walking around the field before a game (Dan Snider), running onto the court (Mark Cuban), doing interviews calling out players (Jerry Jones) does not matter cause JJ let Chiarelli spend to the cap and this boring mess is on Peter not Jeremy or Harry or MOC. One person to blame if Chiarelli announces "I couldn't make any trades because I was to tight against the cap" as his excuse.

How do you equate a visible Owner as a successful championship organization ? Kraft got lucky with the fact Belichick didn't stay in NY as he came here to spite Parcells (Most of Parcell's drafted players were still in NE) and Jerry Jones was made by Jimmy Johnson then blew it because Jerry is too visible. How many more championships would Jerry Jones have had if he let Jimmy run the show and stayed in the background like Jacobs ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Barely worked TTBI as Edmonton East almost lost to the Devils and Canucks so "buying the league out" (Fred Cusick quote) almost failed by a couple of posts actually ask Pavel Bure. I don't think an owner has to be visible walking around the field before a game (Dan Snider), running onto the court (Mark Cuban), doing interviews calling out players (Jerry Jones) does not matter cause JJ let Chiarelli spend to the cap and this boring mess is on Peter not Jeremy or Harry or MOC. One person to blame if Chiarelli announces "I couldn't make any trades because I was to tight against the cap" as his excuse. How do you equate a visible Owner as a successful championship organization ? Kraft got lucky with the fact Belichick didn't stay in NY as he came here to spite Parcells (Most of Parcell's drafted players were still in NE) and Jerry Jones was made by Jimmy Johnson then blew it because Jerry is too visible. How many more championships would Jerry Jones have had if he let Jimmy run the show and stayed in the background like Jacobs ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Big diff. between a Jerry Jones ego owner who "runs the show", as you correctly point out about the Dallas JJ...I'm not arguing our Boston...er, I mean, Buffalo--JJ should get his hands involved in every trade/acquisition...only that the perception of an owner who truly and passionately cares about his team and is more visible in that sense can have a positive effect at least psychologically for the players and especially fan base.

Not saying it brings Cups--it's an intangible for sure--but it sure would take some of the sting out a nearly 40-year title drought if, as a fan, I knew the owner was as peeved as me that this Original 6 franchise is the black (and gold) sheep of the Boston sports scene--the only one of the big 4 pro teams to be steeped in utter failure and futility (especially the past 20 years), without even a sniff of a Cup.

I also think it's a bit unfair for you to conclude that the only reason Belichek came to NE was to spite the  Jets....at least some credit must go to Kraft for pursuing Bel. so strongly, and Kraft's presence at Pats games and in the Boston community in general is a huge plus...it creates an atmosphere of caring and passion that makes players want to come to NE and yes, I believe on some level it transaltes to succcess on the field.

Theo's smart and dedicated pursuit of free agents (Schilling; Gonzalez, etc.) is equally as inspirational and shows the fan base he cares. Sfter the horror of '03 for Red Sox fans Theo didn't turtle up, stay quiet, and let things be...he aggressively went after the key player who could bring down the Yankees and did.

After last year's collapse v. Philly, I would have wanted an owner to break some furniture, fire the coach, and say "I'm a Bruins fan as well....I know this hurt all of us--and I want every fan to know I will re-dedicate myself to bringing a title to Boston.*" Instead we got nothing but shrugs of the shoulders from JJ, PC, and even CJ, and now this year's incredibly disappointing squad.

At what point (i know i've asked this b4) do we stand up and say that the ownership at the top bears some responsibility for what happens on the ice? 38 years and counting is nothing to be proud of. We deserve better--and at the very least, a sign that those who run thw show care as much as we do, and not just about setting ridiculousy high prces for tickets and beer.

*-Again, not saying broken chairs lead to Cups--only that after such horrible collapses, it helps at least a little to know it's not just the fans upset about what occurred.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

Jacobs spends to the cap  most owners refuse to do so.   Chia   is a good GM  he has us set to be contenders for many many years.... We finally have a legit chance to  possibly win a cup and the whines and cry babies come out.... go hug your moma

Go   BRUINS

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Jacobs saw a good business deal and bought the Bruins . It's not like he has an overwhelming desire to build a championship team.

How many years has he had control of this club now?  The fans show up, he's a happy business man

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Please don't drag my BoSox, Celtics and Pats onto your Booins threads...

These teams have nothing in common...

Three teams are winning franchises that exude class - the other one ?

Not so much...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]Jacobs spends to the cap  most owners refuse to do so.   Chia   is a good GM  he has us set to be contenders for many many years.... We finally have a legit chance to  possibly win a cup and the whines and cry babies come out.... go hug your moma Go   BRUINS
    Posted by mrbruin4[/QUOTE]

"We finally have a legit chance to possibly win a cup..."

What team have you been watching ?

Keep drinking the Black and Gold koolaide...

JJ is depending on it...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]Jacobs saw a good business deal and bought the Bruins . It's not like he has an overwhelming desire to build a championship team. How many years has he had control of this club now?  The fans show up, he's a happy business man
    Posted by skater68[/QUOTE]
    The salary cap more-or-less fixes player costs.  Other costs (scouting, electricity, etc) are fairly static.  Coaching and management costs, even at the high end, are small compared to the rest of the budget.

So how is Jacobs to squeeze more money out of owning the Bruins?  The only way to increase profits is to field a winning team.  A championship would be a jackpot.  He's a smart businessman, he knows these things.

You can argue all you want about him sucking the life out of the organization, but the incentive for him to have a winning team has never been greater.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]a fan who wants a winner - yes. A blind sheep follower - no. In Response to Re: Looks good on Scrooge Jacobs :
    Your post implies you want a losing team does it not?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The team will never win without a legit GM and coach here. Look at all the cup winners in recent years.

Salary cap era.    You need the foundation to be top notch to win. Chiarelli/Julien are cast off options in each role.

Jacobs goes cheap, we lose.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I see there are still posts from the troll known as RMiller. Thank God I have him on ignore!
    But, I'm wondering why a "man" who promised to leave this board is still posting?

25. This post has been removed.