Lots of good things tonight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Lots of good things tonight

Chara playing like...Chara.  He was a beast.

Corvo playing like...a competent defensmen.  He actually looked pretty good.

Jordan Caron looking more and more like a very effective NHL player.  From his first shift when he sprinted on the backcheck to catch a guy from behind and steal the puck, right through the rest of the game (might need to work on his open net shooting...)

Campbell scoring again, finally, much needed.

Seidenberg looked sharp.  Boychuk hitting and shooting bombs on net.

The Bruins out-hitting the opponent!  That was nice to see.  Hard, nasty, aggressive hitting.

Krejci freakish skills on display, those are the hands I remember.

Hope Marchand isn't hurt, but that was as encouraging a game as I have seen in a while.  Good stuff.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Lots of good things tonight

One thing some don't think about Fletch is it takes a while to get used too new players from the minors and new faces who have been brought in from trades. Definitely most well rounded game from the Bs in awhile for sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Lots of good things tonight:
    The Bruins out-hitting the opponent!  That was nice to see.  Hard, nasty, aggressive hitting. Posted by Fletcher1

Good points all Fletch.  We know the one noted is a massive key to them playing their most effective.  Loved those dekes Chara displayed getting the puck out of his end that led to Krejci's beauty.  We're seeing a bit of that the last two games.  Case in point:

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Re: Corvo. For what it is worth, I think Corvo makes a great first pass out of the Bruins zone, much like Kabbie. The rest of their games are suspect, but they do do that one thing well.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

On Corvo we didn't hear his name as much in the d-zone, that's a good thing.
    I haven't been a big fan of Corvo's but I don't expect to see Corvo scratched from the lineup anytime soon. The Bruins don't have many with his skillset, offensive minded D-man. 
    Julien's choices to choose from Mattou and Zanon for the 6th d-man.  I don't see anyone else being scratched.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I agree with all your points fletch.  I thought everyone would be talking about Caron and his move onto the Bergie line.  I am particularly hopeful that he will allow, Peverley to remain on the third line even if Horton cannot return this season.  I spent most of this season wondering how so many very smart fans could be excited about this kid, and now I understand.  I feel like lately he looks like he could be a Knuble type player with better skating ability and presumably a better two way game? 
    The real reason I came to the board tonight was to give Corvo his due.  I didn't think everyone would notice due to the lack of points but, he looked solid evertime I saw him.  He seemed calmer.  I understand competition brings out the best in people, but I don't think that is normally due to increased serenity, the guy just looks better.  At this point I think he's making his case to stay in the lineup, and I'm good with that for sure.  BTW I know many of us assumed he would be the 7th man, but I'm not sure CJ and PC agreed.  Joe Corvo is fifth on the Bruins in terms of TOI, with 18 mins a game.  I know part of that is that there is more time for the D, and another part is that he plays alot on the PP, but 5th on the team???  I was wondering if my assessment has been way off all along after seeing that number today.

Zdeno Chara BOS D 25:03:00
    Dennis Seidenberg BOS D 24:01:00
    Johnny Boychuk BOS D 20:34:00
    Patrice Bergeron BOS C 18:51:00
    Joe Corvo BOS D 18:44:00
    Andrew Ference BOS D 18:30:00
    David Krejci BOS C 18:17:00

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think your assessment is off RH, I think Corvo has look awful for a large portion of the season.  But Julien seems to have a method with guys like that, yielding good results, where he sticks with them and waits them out.  Boychuk, Ference, and McQuaid all had stretches last year where they made a lot of mistakes.  People here called for their heads.  Then by the time the playoffs came around they all tightened things up and played really well.  Who knows with Corvo, but I am really hopeful that he will do the same.  He has the talent, I think.  Maybe the best is yet to come...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Lots of good things tonight:
    In Response to Lots of good things tonight : Good points all Fletch.  We know the one noted is a massive key to them playing their most effective.  Loved those dekes Chara displayed getting the puck out of his end that led to Krejci's beauty.  We're seeing a bit of that the last two games.  Case in point: http://youtu.be/8cIwSVQqh04
    Posted by RichHillOntario

What strikes me about that clip, besides Chara's great play, is how Kessel makes the original turnover and then makes an incredibly lazy stab at the puck while Chara goes around him to score.  It reminds me of a player that I used to try to root for on the Bruins before he was traded...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I know the Sabres were tired, but the team defense was what I would expect of them when the season began. Very solid game by all 6 DMen. Buffy really had very limited chances and no offensive zone time. Props to Corvo. I thought Campbell played awesome as well. Posted in another thread...Caron is here to stay.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Corvo had one of his better games on the B's blueline,good for him. No big turnovers , quick passes, just steady play. Hope he can keep it up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Solid effort from all. The best I've seen Chara play in awhile. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Zanon has been steady, but there hasn't been anything about his game so far that leads me to think he's above Corvo on the depth chart right now. Seems like the more serious mistakes have been cut down, and Zanon has had some of those mistakes himself (understandable in a new system).

In other words, maybe we see a platoon of these two depending on the matchup. At least, there should be a rotation through ALL of the D down the stretch. Give guys like Chara, McQuaid, Seids a night off here and there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I was all ready to comment about Thornton's worst effort when he floated the puck and Campbell buried it. After that, Thornton was a little better, and back to his usual game. McDermid looks like he could take Thorny's job with ease. Younger, just as tough,fster, better puck control. Glad to see Caron on Bergeron's line where he can also start helping on the PK. Took what some call a "good" penalty catching up and lifting the stick strongly. Suprisingly, Corvo did play better last night, and against an improved Buffalo defense. Still think Boychuck needs a " smarts" input, but he is whaT HE IS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Lots of good things tonight:
    Chara playing like...Chara.  He was a beast. Corvo playing like...a competent defensmen.  He actually looked pretty good. Jordan Caron looking more and more like a very effective NHL player.  From his first shift when he sprinted on the backcheck to catch a guy from behind and steal the puck, right through the rest of the game (might need to work on his open net shooting...) Campbell scoring again, finally, much needed. Seidenberg looked sharp.  Boychuk hitting and shooting bombs on net. The Bruins out-hitting the opponent!  That was nice to see.  Hard, nasty, aggressive hitting. Krejci freakish skills on display, those are the hands I remember. Hope Marchand isn't hurt, but that was as encouraging a game as I have seen in a while.  Good stuff.
    Posted by Fletcher1

And THOMAS made some pretty good saves! Team is beginning to rally around each other.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

2 straight celler dweller wins is hardly much to brag about.  the TO game wasn't great, too many goals scored on the b's,..sabres were gassed last night, however, the b's played "their' game for the first time in a while.  tight team defence.  when boston is playing really well, they're winning 2-1,2-0, 3-1, 4-1.  anytime this group allows 3 or more goals....something's wrong.  if it's just an off night for the goalie...no problem, but for the last couple months, team defence has been below par.  last night was a baby step...build on it.
    I'm not as down on corvo as many here.  sure he's capable of some bad decisions(that's all the are), but he does have a skill set that isn't easy to find.  i think he's coachable, and although he'll never totally alleviate his low percentage plays, i think he needs to be a valuable cog in the defensive wheel...if the bruins are to be a lgitimate contender.   he had a good game personally, so that's something to build from. 
    after such a long stretch of posting sub par results, this team is a little fragile in the confidence department, and increased confidence just makes players and teams so much better.  something else to build from there.
    pretty good test coming up on the weekend.  if they win both, yeah, maybe the corner is being turned.  if not,.... same ole same ole. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Im thinking/hoping that now that they've actually put together back to back wins, the team has found their mojo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Lots of good things tonight : What strikes me about that clip, besides Chara's great play, is how Kessel makes the original turnover and then makes an incredibly lazy stab at the puck while Chara goes around him to score.  It reminds me of a player that I used to try to root for on the Bruins before he was traded...
    Posted by Fletcher1

and speaking of him against the Pens the other night he made 2 glaring mistakes that caused goals.  It's a matter of time Carlyle starts lecturing him and he's not as polite as Julien.
    Actually I wanted the Leafs to win and they blew it.  It's been a while since I was upset at Kessel.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I think Corvo's last few games have been pretty good.
    One question on the Sabres' game, though. 
    Which line was he out with?  In the other games he seemed to be out there with the 4th line fairly often, which seems like a waste of whatever offense he may bring and a huge risk if he makes a bad turnover.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Lots of good things tonight : What strikes me about that clip, besides Chara's great play, is how Kessel makes the original turnover and then makes an incredibly lazy stab at the puck while Chara goes around him to score.  It reminds me of a player that I used to try to root for on the Bruins before he was traded...
    Posted by Fletcher1

To your point, Fletch on Wednesday I thought I heard that Carlyle was quoted as saying something to the effect of from the opponent's blue line onwards, he won't coach Kessel but from his own club's goal line to the opponent's blue line he'll be giving Kessel directions.

Sections
Shortcuts