Loui and the third line ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

Loui and the third line ?

Since his return, Loui had not develop any chemistry whatsoever with the Spoon and Soderberg. I know he has been hurt seriously, and two times, but, really, I don't get what he is supposed to bring. He's not fast, not physical, not a very good passer, and, on top of it, someone should tell him that he is allowed to attempt shot on goal !!!!

Meanwhile, Reilly Smith gels with Bergy and Marchand.

So, Loui stays on the third for a while ? For the rest of the season ? Did his value drop too much, or it's still possible to trade him in the west for a more «Bruins» player ?

What do you think ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Re: Loui and the third line ?

I'm trying to keep faith in the guy but it's getting more and more difficult. he's a resonsible player and a good guy with a good hockey IQ. but his play so far leaves you wondering how he netted those 30 goal seasons. if he has another gear i hope he hits it soon........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Remi72's comment:

Since his return, Loui had not develop any chemistry whatsoever with the Spoon and Soderberg. I know he has been hurt seriously, and two times, but, really, I don't get what he is supposed to bring. He's not fast, not physical, not a very good passer, and, on top of it, someone should tell him that he is allowed to attempt shot on goal !!!!

So, Loui stays on the third for a while ? For the rest of the season ? Did his value drop too much, or it's still possible to trade him in the west for a more «Bruins» player ?

What do you think ?

I think the B's will keep him on the third line for now and hope for some chemistry, Loui will kill penalties, play some PP and then play for Sweden at the Olympics. Maybe at the Olympics Loui will get his mojo back and hopefully relearn how to sho*t the puck. Personally i think he will finish out the year in Boston and will get next year to start out fresh again. I think the Bruins want Loui to work out as a B and will stay patient.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'd like to see what Eriksson could do with Krejci.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I liked what I saw from Loui in the Chicago gm.  He didn't score but I thought he was pretty decent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you watch Eriksson closely, you see him in two completely opposite modes.  One where he's playing hockey instinctively and doing what comes naturally to him.  A lot of that's on defense, and you'll notice that he's been a minus player in only two games all season.  In the offensive zone, or at any time when the Bruins have the puck, it's odd if you follow him exclusively.  You can see what he's thinking.  He goes to the net.  He goes to good scoring areas.  He makes himself available.  He follows the play and looks for rebounds.  He tries to anticipate on the cycle and establish good position.  He does all of these things - and the play inevitably goes somewhere else.  I don't think he's doing the wrong things.  I don't think he's not strong enough to win battles or any of those other things people charge him with.  I just think he's totally out of sync with how this team plays when it has the puck.  Very similar to Jagr that way, actually, except Jagr would then rely on sticking his giant keister out and killing 15-20 seconds along the boards before either whipping a pass into space or losing the puck to two or three guys.

I said this before, and I'll stick to it until I see something different, but I honestly think Eriksson's a guy who will be like Bourque was in Colorado.  First year, it's not going to work the way you think it should.  Second year, he'll be an eye-opener.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

What do you think ?

How did you squeak that in there?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Shots by the censors?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

What do you think ?

I think you should start fewer "sky is falling," threads. So the second year pro d man isn't in the NHL yet? The guy who just got back from his second concussion of the season isn't tearing it up? Well I think we'll survive. I'm not going to ignore years and years of success because he hasn't lit it up right after injury. 

San- I agree. I'd love to see eriksson with krejci and I think we will, next year. As time wears on iginla will cease to fill the horton role and begin to fill the recchi role. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Shots by the censors?

Shots is ok then, good its a start.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

You rotate your right wingers. Try Loui with Krejci, Iginla with Bergy, and Smith, through no fault of his own, spends a few weeks with Spooner and Soderberg. But Claude has this "reward system" thing and any other approach gives him nausea so he will keep them together until a losing streak hits and then he'll swap Iginla down to 3rd, Loui to 1st and will stick with that forever. I really dislike this aspect of his coaching, but he's earned immunity from all such criticism. Unfortunately, sometimes succeeding to a certain degree makes people think the approach taken was the only possible way to succeed, and that the degree of success was the greatest degree possible. I myself think there is significant advantage to "trying stuff" over a full season, even just to keep things fresh for guys (with the side benefit of essentially preparing for injuries), but Claude strongly disagrees with that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I think that's a pretty good idea, especially since Iggy is doing nothing with offense right now.

Maybe swap the two -- Loui to Kreji, Iggy to Spooner.

To my mind both Iggy and Loui have underperformed this year.

I agree with the first poster.  Loui shows up in some good spots, but seems to be invisible viz a viz the puck.  But I keep reminding myself that it took Bergy a full year of playing so-so before he came back from his big concussion.  Maybe Loui will turn into a top guy, given the time.

I'm less confident about Iggy.  I didn't see him play in his prime, but right now he looks one-dimensional.  Hard-playing, but with no speed or creativity.  He'll take the puck and move it forward quickly (because censor got me on the s-word, too :)) into a guy's pads rather than adjust his angle.  And if he's taking one route in on a play, that's the route he'll take, whether it works or not.  And he'll turn the puck over, or make an unforced error, pretty easily.  I don't know what he's doing on the PP, or on the first line, for that matter.

But if there's a chance he might come alive, than I'd gladly swap him to the third line for Loui on the first...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

Strange, I can't write the word s**t no more...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I have been told by someone with more knowledge on here than I, apparently, that the Bruins don't work that way. It's about the team and they don't move players around just to get that player going... Apparently that's the Bruin way...

It is too bad he got a couple of dingers along the way, but I agree this is something that should be experimented with...... Instead we have an old man who was washed up three years ago in my opinion, playing first line minutes, lots of PP time... 2 goals in 49 games on the PP ..still waiting on those one timer's.....Loui gets clean up seconds ....it's unbelievable....why is he being rewarded ?

This guy couldn't play with Sid or Malkin.... Wow!!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

I think that's a pretty good idea, especially since Iggy is doing nothing with offense right now.

Maybe swap the two -- Loui to Kreji, Iggy to Spooner. To my mind both Iggy and Loui have underperformed this year.

I agree with the first poster.  Loui shows up in some good spots, but seems to be invisible viz a viz the puck.  But I keep reminding myself that it took Bergy a full year of playing so-so before he came back from his big concussion.  Maybe Loui will turn into a top guy, given the time.

I'm less confident about Iggy.  I didn't see him play in his prime, but right now he looks one-dimensional.  Hard-playing, but with no speed or creativity.  He'll take the puck and move it forward quickly (because censor got me on the s-word, too :)) into a guy's pads rather than adjust his angle.  And if he's taking one route in on a play, that's the route he'll take, whether it works or not.  And he'll turn the puck over, or make an unforced error, pretty easily.  I don't know what he's doing on the PP, or on the first line, for that matter.

But if there's a chance he might come alive, than I'd gladly swap him to the third line for Loui on the first...

He doesn't make his linemates better and losses two-thirds of his one on one battles. Can't free himself up to get off a shots either. I don't know how Julien or Chiarelli can get Iginla going at this point.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

I have been told by someone with more knowledge on here than I, apparently, that the Bruins don't work that way. It's about the team and they don't move players around just to get that player going... Apparently that's the Bruin way...

It is too bad he got a couple of dingers along the way, but I agree this is something that should be experimented with...... Instead we have an old man who was washed up three years ago in my opinion, playing first line minutes, lots of PP time... 2 goals in 49 games on the PP ..still waiting on those one timer's.....Loui gets clean up seconds ....it's unbelievable....why is he being rewarded ?

Yeah, okay Alicia Silverstone, let me help you with this.

12 points in his first 10 playoff games with the Pens is not "couldn't play with" Malkin.  And let's be clear that he was on with Malkin, not Crosby.  Then the whole team tripped on its junk against the Bruins...but sure, blame that on Iginla not being able to play with Crosby.  Even in the regular season, the guy had 11 points in 13 games including 4 PPG.  But yeah, he was a phantom.

Now for your plan to juggle things around just to get individuals going regardless of how the team is doing.  You want to see Eriksson on the PP? Want to see him switch lines with Iginla? Explain how that helps the team.  Telling me "well, Iginla's not doing so hot" doesn't explain why you give the ice to Eriksson.  If Iginla's a problem on the PP, why not give the ice to the forward with the most PPG - Smith - or the leading goal-scorer - Marchand?  No, no...let's give it to Eriksson to "try to get him going."  And somehow all of the criticism of Iginla's PP performance goes by without a mention of the words "Geoff Ward".  When was the last time you saw them run a play designed to give Iginla a one timer in a legit scoring area - not outside the dot where they seem to stick him now? 

That whole Fat Elvis line is in a hole right now.  Krejci is 4 for 2014 (8 games), Lucic 3.  But yeah, let's rip Iginla.  Yeah, he's been losing battles and the puck a lot more frequently recently.  But remember when Marchand couldn't stop falling down?  How's he doing now?  And how did that happen?  Did they give him a whole bunch of time on the PP?  Did they switch him with Fat?  No.  You know what they did, because it's their team philosophy and a key to their success?  They left him where he was and let him play his way out of it.  They continued to play a strong team game and provide stability for all of the players so that they can find their rhythm and chemistry.  Stupid, right?  You should help guys pump up their stats!

When Eriksson came back from the second concussion, Julien put him on the third line to get his legs back.  Less pressure, less responsibility to score.  Put him in a spot where he can contribute and have some success.  Didn't chuck him into situations where you're basically saying we expect you to score.  In a nutshell, that's the difference between how this Bruins regime has done things and what you're asking them to do.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

12 points in his first 10 playoff games with the Pens is not "couldn't play with" Malkin.  And let's be clear that he was on with Malkin, not Crosby.  Then the whole team tripped on its junk against the Bruins...but sure, blame that on Iginla not being able to play with Crosby.  Even in the regular season, the guy had 11 points in 13 games including 4 PPG.  But yeah, he was a phantom.

Now for your plan to juggle things around just to get individuals going regardless of how the team is doing.  You want to see Eriksson on the PP? Want to see him switch lines with Iginla? Explain how that helps the team.  Telling me "well, Iginla's not doing so hot" doesn't explain why you give the ice to Eriksson.  If Iginla's a problem on the PP, why not give the ice to the forward with the most PPG - Smith - or the leading goal-scorer - Marchand?  No, no...let's give it to Eriksson to "try to get him going."  And somehow all of the criticism of Iginla's PP performance goes by without a mention of the words "Geoff Ward".  When was the last time you saw them run a play designed to give Iginla a one timer in a legit scoring area - not outside the dot where they seem to stick him now? 

That whole Fat Elvis line is in a hole right now.  Krejci is 4 for 2014 (8 games), Lucic 3.  But yeah, let's rip Iginla.  Yeah, he's been losing battles and the puck a lot more frequently recently.  But remember when Marchand couldn't stop falling down?  How's he doing now?  And how did that happen?  Did they give him a whole bunch of time on the PP?  Did they switch him with Fat?  No.  You know what they did, because it's their team philosophy and a key to their success?  They left him where he was and let him play his way out of it.  They continued to play a strong team game and provide stability for all of the players so that they can find their rhythm and chemistry.  Stupid, right?  You should help guys pump up their stats!

When Eriksson came back from the second concussion, Julien put him on the third line to get his legs back.  Less pressure, less responsibility to score.  Put him in a spot where he can contribute and have some success.  Didn't chuck him into situations where you're basically saying we expect you to score.  In a nutshell, that's the difference between how this Bruins regime has done things and what you're asking them to do.

it's like you simply don't believe in the concept of chemistry. it would be easier if you simply said that.

i disagree. some player types work better with certain player types for whatever reason. and some guys just work best with specific other guys because they click, again for whatever reason. you can't know it in advance, and you can't force it, but you can most certainly be stubborn about ever accepting it regardless of evidence. that you most certainly can do.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Who doesn't have chemistry?  When Iginla had 18 points in the 21 games leading into this current hole, was that despite a lack of chemistry?  1/4 of the season and Iginla had at least one point in 14 of those 21 games.  Or do you mean Eriksson with Spooner and Soderberg?  Which, again, if there's no chemistry there, why muck around with other lines in the hope of creating it?  That's often the first sign of a coach who's about to get fired, isn't it?

And this isn't about what I believe.  It's about the way the Bruins have conducted themselves under Julien.  The only times that they've done major line shuffles have come when the whole team had gone south.  And then, shuffle over, it was back to the lines that Julien and his staff give this team the best chance to win.  That's what they do.  That's what they've done since Julien arrived.  He clearly looks at all of his assets, figures out which players he thinks work best together for what he wants to do, assembles lines based on that analysis, and then coaches the players to perform in the situations he's created.  And he trusts that analysis more than slumps, more than hot streaks.  Again, the hallmark of this era of the Bruins is stability, and this is part of that identity.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

Book I think you put way too much emphasis on julien "system" in a manner to justify a player's performance. Good players will play well anywhere anytime but maybe loui can be in a slump that lends no search for answers or justification be that as it may he"s stinking up thejoint I sincerely hope he just thrives in the playoffs big time  that's all really want needless to say he's not my type of player. 

Btw - bourque was at the end of his career in Colorado and played well for few games In his first year as a Av and second. 

I notice that the player that the B's traded to Dallas as the centerpiece of the deal hasn't scored a goal in 10 games. First line player,getting first line minutes and 1st line PP minutes. What gives? Can't be Ruff's system, right?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

------------------

The reality of what really happened and what he saw seem to differ.

Another stinky opinion gets blown away again.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

As usual BOOK has a solid perspective on the Bruins and Claude. Don't know why Claude and his coaches seem to be stuck on past results but that's one of the problems. Iggy has been less than stellar most of this year. He knows where he should be, but deteriorating skills are hampering his performance. He also doesn't show the chemistry that Lucic and Horton used. Contrary to what some see, Eriksson is fast, and ,as Book notes, knows where he should be and goes there,but, where he goes isn't part of the Bruins "re-act to the situation" operating plan as shown by Bergie and Kreji. Eriksson appears to be playing a different game, maybe the one he grew up with. Claude has aded him to his PK, but he doesn't seem to try any "offensive" moves, just purely defense and than dump the puck. Hopefully this week will see the return of both Kelly and Hamilton, and we'll all see how Kelly's play benefits this team.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

Who doesn't have chemistry?  When Iginla had 18 points in the 21 games leading into this current hole, was that despite a lack of chemistry?  1/4 of the season and Iginla had at least one point in 14 of those 21 games.  Or do you mean Eriksson with Spooner and Soderberg?  Which, again, if there's no chemistry there, why muck around with other lines in the hope of creating it?  That's often the first sign of a coach who's about to get fired, isn't it?

And this isn't about what I believe.  It's about the way the Bruins have conducted themselves under Julien.  The only times that they've done major line shuffles have come when the whole team had gone south.  And then, shuffle over, it was back to the lines that Julien and his staff give this team the best chance to win.  That's what they do.  That's what they've done since Julien arrived.  He clearly looks at all of his assets, figures out which players he thinks work best together for what he wants to do, assembles lines based on that analysis, and then coaches the players to perform in the situations he's created.  And he trusts that analysis more than slumps, more than hot streaks.  Again, the hallmark of this era of the Bruins is stability, and this is part of that identity.

I agree 100% that that is exactly the process. I simply disagree with the idea that management/coach can determine those things more effectively than simply letting players play together and seeing what happens. I think it's a form of arrogance, and that in Claude's case it's done to a degree that crosses over into "stubbornness" and actually makes it more difficult for this very deep, very talented team to thrive. Sometimes I think that is actually the point. Sometimes I think he values forcing guys to "just fight harder" over making a change that might "just plain work". 

I see the other side as well, that once you've changed your lines around and it doesn't appear to be working, what next? Change them again? That quickly starts to look like desperation. I get that, which is why I'm in favor of doing it pre-emptively, even when things are going well, so that you can take advantage of confidence when it's there, while getting guys used to different pairings, which may be necessary or beneficial when injuries hit or against specific opponents. 

Modern hockey is different than years ago. It's much more defensive, much more of a grind, mentally and physically, and much harder to score goals, which is why I prefer a more fluid approach that allows new options to arise that may not have made sense "from the top down". This is especially true when you are relying on guys like Krejci and Lucic who have been known to disappear for weeks at a time. This is who they are, and the stagnant pairings tends to make those tendencies worse, imo. New linemates temporarily force players to focus a bit more and be more open to new options. They also like to make good impressions on each other. It's just human nature.

coda: I think all of those little benefits should be utilized, and I don't think they necessarily eliminate the ability to implement a "reward system" if that's still the goal. It's just a less rigid way to go about a long season which appears to me to have significant benefits without significant risk.

• Sections
    Shortcuts