Lucic Call

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Lucic Call

adk,

Bergie and Horton were very up in the air.  I think the rest of the calls were ok.  Actually the too many men was very borderline.  But the broken stick, Bergie flipping over the glass and Moen highstick were all legit

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

2 for boarding and an additional 2 for blood.
    Spacek's academy award performance got it the major and game misconduct.

Dumb play by Lucic by all accounts though...he had to know the refs were gonna give the Montreal Stanislavskys the benefit of every doubt.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Lucic Call:
    [QUOTE]2 for boarding and an additional 2 for blood. Spacek's academy award performance got it the major and game misconduct. Dumb play by Lucic by all accounts though...he had to know the refs were gonna give the Montreal Stanislavskys the benefit of every doubt.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

Thank you voice of reason

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeydguitar. Show mikeydguitar's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Call : You gotta be kidding Shupe.Lucic came from in front of Spacek gliding in to finish a check.After releasing the puck and knowing the hit was coming,Spacek turns INTO the boards.It shouldn't even have been a minor. Spacek,like Eller earlier in the game,acted like he'd been shot. So later in the period Plekanec comes from BEHIND Chara and proceeds to drill him in the numbers,faceplanting him into the glass(but that's OK since Plekanec is smaller than Chara).The Bergeron interference on Price was ridiculous especially since it was at least the 5th time a PP got wiped out on a penalty to Boston. That was a pretty frustrating game to watch.Montreal gets both on full 2 minute 5 on 3's and Boston basically controlled the ice for most of the 5 on 5 play.Answer me this Shupe. If you feel the call on the ice was correct, do you think Lucic deserves a suspension(considering he'd be a repeat offender)?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeydguitar. Show mikeydguitar's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Call : You gotta be kidding Shupe.Lucic came from in front of Spacek gliding in to finish a check.After releasing the puck and knowing the hit was coming,Spacek turns INTO the boards.It shouldn't even have been a minor. Spacek,like Eller earlier in the game,acted like he'd been shot. So later in the period Plekanec comes from BEHIND Chara and proceeds to drill him in the numbers,faceplanting him into the glass(but that's OK since Plekanec is smaller than Chara).The Bergeron interference on Price was ridiculous especially since it was at least the 5th time a PP got wiped out on a penalty to Boston. That was a pretty frustrating game to watch.Montreal gets both on full 2 minute 5 on 3's and Boston basically controlled the ice for most of the 5 on 5 play.Answer me this Shupe. If you feel the call on the ice was correct, do you think Lucic deserves a suspension(considering he'd be a repeat offender)?

Couldn't have put it any better!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

BS call to throw Luc out. He said he didn't see him coming but that's complete BS. If he didn't see him coming he wouldn't have turned to show Luc his back. It was the second period, he would have followed the play after the dump or he would have pealed off to make a change.

I'm more upset that he said he didn't see him coming, that's complete BS and Spa trying to get Lucic out for game 7.

Montreal plays a cheap game and the refs play along.

The Bergeron penalty (interference) and the Horton call were complete garbage.

Bs outplayed Montreal all game but the stupid zebras got involved.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

nrguy.

I can agree with your post.  But when you fire 30+ shots and score one goal you lose a lot more than you win.  Plus our PP should be the main villian in this. 

I can take a few extra PP chances b.c our PK is so good.  But when our PP gets out there we can't blame the refs or Montreal. 
    Truth be told we are very, very lucky to be playing a game 7.  TT saved our bacon in Montreal and we had a few guys step up.  A few guys.  Unless we have a complete team effort we are in trouble.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Call : dez, I am almost disappointed in you.  Easily one of the most logical and knowledgeable ones on here.  He glided in fisnihed his check into Spaceks numbers which rammed his head into those unforgiven seemless glass and also drew blood.  Did you watch the slow-mo's? His faced smeered against the glass like a bug hitting a windshield.  And that isnt a run from behind.  I know it was a hard pill to swallow but at least call a spade a spade.  Spacek likely hammed it up as well but his head was cut open.  Did he do that to himself?  I am almost shocked at your post.  And I will answer your question.  And I actually will answer the other question 1st.  I think Richards deserved a game.  I think in these rules Lucic deserves a game Dez, again, easily one of the most logical people on here.  But running someone in the numbers is running someone in the numbers.  I didnt like it when Marchand did it.  I didnt like it when Richards did it and just b/c Lucic is off limits to most he screwed up.  Terrible penalty that likely cost us a game.  Along with our brutal PP. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    I'm dissappointed that you see any similarity between Lucic's hit and Richards'.....difference is night and day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]dez, go to around the 32 second mark of this video and tell me this is not a hit from behind.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIcg7E9kqhM
    How about you pause it at exactly the 34 second mark and then tell me what Lucic should've done to avoid the penalty(since I think not finishing his check isn't an option).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sebagoking. Show sebagoking's posts

Certainly didn't think the hit was worthy of the major but thought it was funny that the first sign of life out of Looch in 6 games resulted in a misconduct.  Like I noted on Awry's Krejci thread, I have to think that Looch is playing with a serious injury.  He's passing on all body contact and the puck is exploding off his stick like a tennis ball.  In game 5 alone he gave away at least 10 pucks that lead to Habs pressure or scoring chances.  We've seen what the kid can do and he's not doing anything positive out there. 

C'mon big boy show us what you got!  The B's don't go anywhere without you!

Maybe last night's rest will pan out for him and he'll hammer some bodies and roof a couple tonight!

Go B's!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

[QUOTE]nrguy. I can agree with your post.  But when you fire 30+ shots and score one goal you lose a lot more than you win.  Plus our PP should be the main villian in this.  I can take a few extra PP chances b.c our PK is so good.  But when our PP gets out there we can't blame the refs or Montreal.  Truth be told we are very, very lucky to be playing a game 7.  TT saved our bacon in Montreal and we had a few guys step up.  A few guys.  Unless we have a complete team effort we are in trouble.

Bruins weren't finishing their chances and Montreal turtles and plays 4 back every time they get the lead. That Lucic penalty, which I think there should have been none, directly caused the second goal.

In a tie game, Montreal plays differently.

Bruins have been gaining momentum in this series and clearly have it on their side going into game 7.

It's hard not to blame the zebras when they call a penalty as Horton is on a break-away and throws out the top goal scorer on a bs call.

I'm usually the last to blame the refs but last night's game was blatant.

But hey game 7s are good for ratings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i think people are failing to see this hit for what it was... a clean hit. it's not like spacek is standing stationary with his back to the play, or is he skating directly towards  the boards(again back to play). he's skating PARRALEL to the boards, and plays the puck with his shoulder to looch, THEN TURNS HIS BACK TO TAKE THE HIT IN THE BACK. look at it, in FF or frame by frame, it is the same. the fact is... it was a solid hit, in montreal, against a montreal player, who stayed on the ice long enough to influence the officials into an even bigger bs call. look at it, he's skating PARRALEL to the boards, then turns his back. am i surprised, no, left scratching my head...yes. this call is a hangover call from the patch incident. the refs panicked... pure and simple 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]BsL, I was joking with you.  Boy people have their undies in a bunch after a loss.  Game 7 tonight.  Absolutely diddly squat we can do about yesterday.  Win game 7 and all will be forgot. 

Then I apologize.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Seems to me they got the call right.

a. The call was Boarding. Not high sticking. Not a check to the head. Not charging. Not roughing. Not hitting from behind. The call was Boarding.

b. The hit drew blood / caused injury - so the call is for 5 mins major. Not a lesser 2 min minor. Not a greater match penalty.

c. Game Misconduct - The hit caused an injury to the face/head. It wasn't severe (the player was able to return), but the blood leaking made it clearly an injury to that area of the body.

d. No suspension or additional discipline - Speaks to intent, severity of the injury, the ability for the player to return, Lucic's fairly clean history, and other league-wide precedence.

The facts...

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees.

The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

41.2 Minor Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26292">minor penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player guilty of boarding an opponent.

41.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26301">major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player guilty of boarding an opponent (see 41.5).

41.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26304">match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by boarding.

41.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26306">game misconduct shall be imposed.

41.6 Fines and Suspensions - Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under Rule 41 and/or www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26333">Rule 43, in either Regular season or Play-offs, shall be suspended automatically for the next game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

funny, the definition of boarding sounds a lot like checking to me. the only non-violent check is one that we all curse as "not following through with your check". every check that is finished is violent by nature. wishy washy wording at best. hockey is a violent sport.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Call : How about you pause it at exactly the 34 second mark and then tell me what Lucic should've done to avoid the penalty(since I think not finishing his check isn't an option).

It doesn't matter. By rule, it is Lucic's responsibility to not clean out a player who is in a vulnerable position, which Spacek clearly was when he dumped the puck in from the left side from 2-3 feet from the boards. Finishing his check not only IS an option, by rule it's the play he should have made.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26329
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAP657MO4Zo

Disagree with the 5 minute major and certainly with the misconduct (although there is logic in why the refs made that call, I don't think that's the way it should have been applied here). But to say it's no penalty is...well....going against the rulebook.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

kennedy...spacek put himself in that position, a milli-second before lucic hit him, who's to blame? keep reading the boarding rule..."responsibility of the player with the puck" part also. there are two sides to this. when lucic lined him up, he was shoulder to boards, as he was about to make the hit, he offered up his back. plain and simple. you're not chiming in on how "strong on the skates" your habs are? i hope it's not drafty in the garden, could blow some habs right over.LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Call : It doesn't matter. By rule, it is Lucic's responsibility to not clean out a player who is in a vulnerable position, which Spacek clearly was when he dumped the puck in from the left side from 2-3 feet from the boards. Finishing his check not only IS an option, by rule it's the play he should have made. http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26329 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAP657MO4Zo Disagree with the 5 minute major and certainly with the misconduct (although there is logic in why the refs made that call, I don't think that's the way it should have been applied here). But to say it's no penalty is...well....going against the rulebook.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]
    It also states that the refs take into account if the player put himself in that position. Which they didn't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Call : It also states that the refs take into account if the player put himself in that position. Which they didn't.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Really? The balance of who was more responsible was clearly Lucic, the attacking player. He made contact with Spacek .3 seconds after Spacek dumped the puck in from his left side (and as such inertia was taking him to his right). Lucic came from slightly in front of Spacek as well.

Given those realities, all of which is plain as day on the video, there's no question that when it comes to responsibility, the onus in this situation was on Lucic. As such, the call is boarding (although 5 was excessive).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]kennedy...spacek put himself in that position, a milli-second before lucic hit him, who's to blame? keep reading the boarding rule..."responsibility of the player with the puck" part also. there are two sides to this. when lucic lined him up, he was shoulder to boards, as he was about to make the hit, he offered up his back. plain and simple. you're not chiming in on how "strong on the skates" your habs are? i hope it's not drafty in the garden, could blow some habs right over.LOL
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

He "offered his back" .3 seconds after completing a dump-in from his left side to a player who was speeding toward him slightly up-ice (also from the left side) from where he made a routine play?

Read that back again and ask yourself if that's likely...or even possible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

kennedy...whatever helps you sleep at night. how do you root for a team that makes a mockery of the game by essentially faking injuries/ goalies falling all over/ players lying on the ice to see if they get calls.....putting a puck into a net after a whistle they KNEW blew(we all did)- then celebrating it as if it was a goal. they are almost cartoonish, laughable. i'm guessing you don't like it either, but your used to it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]kennedy...whatever helps you sleep at night. how do you root for a team that makes a mockery of the game by essentially faking injuries/ goalies falling all over/ players lying on the ice to see if they get calls.....putting a puck into a net after a whistle they KNEW blew(we all did)- then celebrating it as if it was a goal. they are almost cartoonish, laughable. i'm guessing you don't like it either, but your used to it.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Usually, guys change the subject when their original argument has been blown to shreds. That's what has happened here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

dez,

never have a i ever disagreed with you as much.  You could say the exact same thing of every player being hit. 
    when is the hitter at fault?  sure spacek turned.  does this give Lucic a license to ram him into the glass in the numbers. 
    Again, I don't know you from a hole in the ground.  But I truly respect you opinion and hockey knowledge.  Have that as Subban doing it to DK.  And I wonder if it is still a good clean hockey hit.

How about Randy Jones on Bergie.  Bergie knew he was there.  Bergie's fault.  Right guys?  Oh wait.  Totally different situation.  Not even close to the same.  BS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xAEetam6HQ

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I TOTALLY disagree on who is responsible, Kennedy.  When youre standing on the curb, waiting to cross the street and an 18 wheeler is coming, do you turn your back and make a run for it and then get pissed when the truck, 2 feet away, plows you over?  HELL NO!  Pusscheck is MORE responsible for putting himself in that position INTENTIONALLY, which he does ALL THE TIME!  And then lays on the ice like he's dead, which again, HE DOES ALL THE TIME!  When you actually play hockey, and you have someone lined up shoulder to shoulder, and they LITERALLY turn their back on you half a second before the hit, you CAN NOT pull up.  It should have been a 2 minute for Lucic, I will agree with that because he did, in fact, hit him in the numbers.  BUT, Pusscheck should have gotten 2 for unsportsmanlike/embellishing.  The major and a game in such a PIVITAL game was a joke.  And the league needs to start telling guys that if they turn their back like that, they are fair game.  Its a garbage way of getting a call.  But, anything the Habs can do they will do, and their fans will love it.  Thats why they are all such a disgrace.  I think Gill & Mara are the only respectable players on that team.

Sections
Shortcuts