Lucic Call

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Lucic Call

bigvig,

Moen as well.

is Randy Jones hit ok?  Bergie knew he was there.  Is that hit a legal one.  Is Cookes hit on tyutin legal? 
    IF Lucic knew he was a guy that turns he should have eased up.  I don't see this as any different than players hitting other players in the head. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In Response to Re: Lucic Call:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Call : Usually, guys change the subject when their original argument has been blown to shreds. That's what has happened here.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

That made me chuckle.

The way I saw it was this. He dumps the puck in the zone and tries to not get hit by turning his back to Lucic knowing that if he turns his back and Lucic hits him, it's a penalty. Spacek saying that he didn't see him coming is complete BS. Why else would you turn your back? You would do 2 things in that situation, follow the play or go for a change. Going for a change is what he likely would have done but I don't see the point in peeling back to the defensive zone first.

I'm ok with the boarding call as it was boarding by the letter of the call, but I just don't believe that a player should be called for a boarding call if the player turns his back at the last moment.

The league is putting too much onus on the attacking player to read the mind of the opposing player when making a check. A player in the NHL should be protect themselves at all times and not turn their back on the opponent bearing down on him. Putting the onus on the attacker and not stressing to players that they can't put their backs to their opponents all the time causes more concussions and injuries than it saves IMO.

How do you fix it? Have no clue and I'm not sure it can be fixed. I just think it's stupid that players can put their back to an opponent and be safer than if the opponent is on his side. 

In summary, the boarding rule has the unintended consequence of encouraging players to play with their backs to their opponents and their head facing the boards.

They need to change the glass in the Bell Center before someone gets killed. Don Cherry is right for a change.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

nrguy,

another good post.  someone gets it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Call : I'm ok with the boarding call as it was boarding by the letter of the call, but I just don't believe that a player should be called for a boarding call if the player turns his back at the last moment. The league is putting too much onus on the attacking player to read the mind of the opposing player when making a check. Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Well put.

The only real subjective part is the initial call - was it boarding or not? In this case, the Ref's arm went up immediately, so we all know the call was going to be made. Like any other call, they make a split decision in real time and it's clear that an argument can be made either way (unlike the BS Horton slashing call). It is the initial call that takes into account "onus" of responsibility on both Spacek and Lucic. Again, the arm went up right away and the Ref made an immediate decision that the nature of the hit itself warranted a boarding penalty. Fair or unfair, the call was at least understandable.

So we've established the Refs were calling boarding. Now on to punishment, which is much more black and white. For this part, the Rule states that the extent of "violence" of the hit is the determining factor between minor and major penalty, not whether or not there is onus on one player or the other. The guy's face ended up in the glass (whether it was his fault or the hitter's fault doesn't matter for this part). He fell, and blood leaked out of his face. This made the difference between minor and major.

So now to give a misconduct or not. Again, the Rule is very clear. If a major is assessed and there is an injury to the head or face, the hitting player is to be kicked out of the game.

So while we're all debating on what should have happened, realize that the only real decision is whether it is a boarding penalty or not. Once determined it was a penalty, it was an easy path from there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]dez, never have a i ever disagreed with you as much.  You could say the exact same thing of every player being hit.  when is the hitter at fault?  sure spacek turned.  does this give Lucic a license to ram him into the glass in the numbers.  Again, I don't know you from a hole in the ground.  But I truly respect you opinion and hockey knowledge.  Have that as Subban doing it to DK.  And I wonder if it is still a good clean hockey hit. How about Randy Jones on Bergie.  Bergie knew he was there.  Bergie's fault.  Right guys?  Oh wait.  Totally different situation.  Not even close to the same.  BS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xAEetam6HQ
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    I told you to freeze on the 34 sec mark.At that point,Lucic is already committed to the hit and has Spacek lined up,shoulder to shoulder.We all know what happenned in the next split-second.As far as the hits you've chosen to compare to,answer me this.Was Lucic EVER BEHIND Spacek on that particular hit?All of the other hits you mention were clear cases of a player hitting from behind.I truly don't think they're comparable but I'm sure this won't be our last disagreement.Cheers to you and a big game 7 victory.GO BRUINS!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]bigvig, Moen as well. is Randy Jones hit ok?  Bergie knew he was there.  Is that hit a legal one.  Is Cookes hit on tyutin legal?  IF Lucic knew he was a guy that turns he should have eased up.  I don't see this as any different than players hitting other players in the head. 
    Bergeron knew Jones was there because he'd just beaten him in a race for the puck. Apples and oranges my friend.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

dez,

I will actually go on record as saying you are my favorite poster on here(slightly nudging out NAS and BsL) and I just don't get how you think that isnt a penalty. 
    The Apples and Oranges are Bruins Jersey and every other team.

Was Cooke committed to hit Tyutin?  The committed part is very very open ended.  Could Lucic have held up.  If he could have we likely take that game.   And we can't go back. And the official call on the ice was a penalty.  Again, I think Richards deserved to be thrown outta the game as well.  We are very lucky he came back in the game b.c I was very fearful of a game suspension due to repeat offender tag. 

I can easily find fault in what Spacek did.  But the fact you classify this as a clean play blows my mind. 

I know it won't be our last run in.  But I am actually floored on this one.  Some arguments I start for cause and effect.  But this one I am still scratching my head on.

Cheers to you as well and we better be talking about Philly Boston tomorrow or I am gonna be a cranky dude. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Ya know what? Spacek is a dolt! There's no argument there. However, Lucic should've just stopped & tapped him on the head & said "Nice try fockhead!" Both cruncher along with the crunchee has responsibilities. I think if you're going to be assessing penalties to hits. Then shouldn't someone who puts themselves in a vulenable position be penalized as well. Yea, they're taking the risk of taking an injury, but that's an unsportsmanship mentality is it not?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Ya know what? Spacek is a dolt! There's no argument there. However, Lucic should've just stopped & tapped him on the head & said "Nice try fockhead!" Both cruncher along with the crunchee has responsibilities. I think if you're going to be assessing penalties to hits. Then shouldn't someone who puts themselves in a vulenable position be penalized as well. Yea, they're taking the risk of taking an injury, but that's an unsportsmanship mentality is it not?
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Nite
    I've been singing this song for a long time.  Its almost like driving a car wrecklessly.  Turn into oncoming traffic and you get hit. 
    The plays where fwds are breaking out skating backwards?  I mean whats a pinching dman to do?  Lots and Lots of hits I see as legal and people are getting suspended.  The league is doing its best, but its ruining the product.  Like I said I am tired of watching "questionable" hits to start off every TSN sportsdesk.

I am in full agreement that the victims should be shown what they did wrong as well.  And if it continues- they are the repeat offenders. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic Call : I told you to freeze on the 34 sec mark.At that point,Lucic is already committed to the hit and has Spacek lined up,shoulder to shoulder.We all know what happenned in the next split-second.As far as the hits you've chosen to compare to,answer me this.Was Lucic EVER BEHIND Spacek on that particular hit?All of the other hits you mention were clear cases of a player hitting from behind.I truly don't think they're comparable but I'm sure this won't be our last disagreement.Cheers to you and a big game 7 victory.GO BRUINS!
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yes.  That is exactly the difference to me.  Lucic lines him up from the side, comes in from the side, and Spacek turns at the last second making it a hit from behind.  I'm not absolving Lucic -- it was definitely a penalty, maybe even a major, but it was nothing like the Bergeron hit (also accidental, but bad) or the Tyutin hit (Cooke has a ton of time to see the numbers there and let up, instead he leaves his feet).  Nobody could look at that and tell me Lucic was trying to hit him from behind.  It was a mistake and a penalty.

Looch can't let up on that hit, so he takes the boarding and is responsible for the penalty.  Spacek is responsible for his injury.  Protect yourself out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]dez, I will actually go on record as saying you are my favorite poster on here(slightly nudging out NAS and BsL) and I just don't get how you think that isnt a penalty.  The Apples and Oranges are Bruins Jersey and every other team. Was Cooke committed to hit Tyutin?  The committed part is very very open ended.  Could Lucic have held up.  If he could have we likely take that game.   And we can't go back. And the official call on the ice was a penalty.  Again, I think Richards deserved to be thrown outta the game as well.  We are very lucky he came back in the game b.c I was very fearful of a game suspension due to repeat offender tag.  I can easily find fault in what Spacek did.  But the fact you classify this as a clean play blows my mind.  I know it won't be our last run in.  But I am actually floored on this one.  Some arguments I start for cause and effect.  But this one I am still scratching my head on. Cheers to you as well and we better be talking about Philly Boston tomorrow or I am gonna be a cranky dude. 
    What I'm getting at is that Lucic was committed to the hit on a players shoulder.I truly think he did let up at the last split second when he realizes that Spacek was actually turning towards the boards. These other hits that we're talking about contained attacking players who were coming from behind to make the hit. Do you believe Spacek when he says he didn't realize Lucic was coming? Maybe anger has blurred my vision since my opinion appears to be in the minority. Regardless, I stick by it. Clean hit by Lucic.....crappy outcome.Whatever,that game's over. Big game 7 tonight-Go Bruins!!!!!