Lucic Hearing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Re: Lucic Hearing

In Response to Re: Lucic Hearing:
    Softness of the Sabres aside, let's look at the play and the resulting concussion. Looch doesn't go for his head but clearly runs him out of his crease. That's a penalty and it's called. There is absolutely no rule basis to suspend Looch based on a minor penalty and a goalie who never left immeidately to be checked for concussion.
    Posted by SomethingBrewin

But the league might want to make a statement by suspending Looch here.........so that no one else thinks running a goalie like that is acceptable. And because he's concussed........it's going to be blown even further out of proportion. Hope I'm wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Softness of the Sabres aside, let's look at the play and the resulting concussion. Looch doesn't go for his head but clearly runs him out of his crease. That's a penalty and it's called. There is absolutely no rule basis to suspend Looch based on a minor penalty and a goalie who never left immeidately to be checked for concussion.
    Posted by SomethingBrewin

this is my point also... he was cleared TWICE to play. once directly after the hit. AND after 20 minutes of observation between periods. not to mention, immediately after he was hit, he retaliated by hacking at lucic. a clear sign he was forming thoughts after the collision. then he's diagnosed with a "neck injury", not a concussion, as the reason for not returning. a bit fishy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Look I thought the hit was bad, Lucic deserved a penalty and a beating, and I would be furious if it happened to Thomas.

I still don't really see any basis to suspend him.  He really never changed his course and didn't raise the elbow, lower the shoulder or any of that.  I think they may fine him to send a message that it is not okay to hit the goalie, but I just don't see where Lucic actions can be suspendable.

Again, the punishment should be dished out by the Sabres.  It wasn't.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

IMO, the whole raison d'etre of the Shanny Office is to "send messages".  Deterence through punishment.  The League, I'm quite sure, doesn't want 220 lb. power forwards slamming into 182 lb. goalies, with only a minor penalty as the price to pay.  Otherwise, every team will send out its thug to take out the opposing goalie.  Can you imagine what would happen in the playoffs?

No, I think a short suspension will send the message that this type of behaviour cannot be condoned.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The problem there is that they can't just suspend people willy-nilly.  There has to be something in the rules that specifies grounds for suspension.  There doesn't seem to be anything for this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

It's already in the rules that you can't run a goalie.  Just like it's in the rules that you can't slash someone, or target their head with a hit.  It's the severe cases that draw supplemental discipline.  This wasn't a shove on a goalie behind the net where he just falls down.  This is one of those 'well over the line' situations which will always draw discussions about supplemental discipline.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The NHLPA tends to disagree with that view.  I think it's debatable whether this is "well over the line".  That would have been had Lucic actually delivered a check, rather than a collision.  It was certainly over the line, since Lucic could have done more to avoid contact, hence the penalty.

If this is suspension worthy, does it mean that the moment a goalie starts to come out of the net a skater going after a loose puck has to stop even if there's still a reasonable chance he can get to it first?  Where does that line get drawn?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 54BLITZER. Show 54BLITZER's posts

I am not convinced that Miller has an actual Concussion.  I believe this is the only way the Sabres can get even.  They demonstrated to be a weak soft mahshmello team.  That look totally intimidated by the BRUINS!!! I didn't see a hit to the head by Looch!!! BUFFALO = PATHETIC!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Lucic is not a dirty player and doesn't have a history so no big deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Lucic does not deserve a suspension, but like I said before, after what happened,Millers comments, Lucic comments, the Buffalo players being called out the league would look for any reason not to have Lucic play that game in Buffalo next week..If they suspend him it would be for that reason only. and it would be unwarranted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

IMO, the whole raison d'etre of the Shanny Office is to "send messages".  Deterence through punishment.  The League, I'm quite sure, doesn't want 220 lb. power forwards slamming into 182 lb. goalies, with only a minor penalty as the price to pay.  Otherwise, every team will send out its thug to take out the opposing goalie.  Can you imagine what would happen in the playoffs? No, I think a short suspension will send the message that this type of behaviour cannot be condoned.
    Posted by 49-North

what does 220 lbs have to do with anything? does lucic have to apologize for being stronger than 95% of the league? is it less-egregious if it was seguin? (he put miller into the back of his net- no problem right)? there's a thing called self-preservation, what miller did went against every living bone in his body. HE STEPPED IN FRONT OF THE STEAMING LOCOMOTIVE! duh. to TT's credit, he said he was "on his toes" the rest of the game- as he should have been. that's called self-preservation. realizing what the situation is and reacting accordingly. what's "gutless" is standing in front of the locomotive- knowing your going to get hit, and whining about it after. should have done like everyone else and poke check while taking out lucic's feet. this just as dangerous if not more than hitting a goalie that knows a hit is coming 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

He might get a game. The league may look to add some muscle behind this unwritten taboo. No doubt the "concussion" label may add to this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tackle2112. Show tackle2112's posts

Fletch you are absolutly right ... I watched the impact about 20 times ... in slow-mo and freeze-frame ... all angles.

For me it was all shoulder on shoulder ... on the way down Millers head do not hits the ice.

I do not understand from what Miller gets a concussion

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Protecting goalies who leave the crease is idiotic. If you come out of the crease to play the puck, you should be fair game just like any other player. You don't like it, stay in the net. Doesn't mean someone on the other team won't come calling for a tussle.

I just think that its BS for a goalie to come out of the net and play the puck like a forward or a defenseman and still get the same protection as if he were in the net. If you're more than 4 feet out of your crease or behind the net, your goalie protection should vanish.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Protecting goalies who leave the crease is idiotic. If you come out of the crease to play the puck, you should be fair game just like any other player. You don't like it, stay in the net. Doesn't mean someone on the other team won't come calling for a tussle. I just think that its BS for a goalie to come out of the net and play the puck like a forward or a defenseman and still get the same protection as if he were in the net. If you're more than 4 feet out of your crease or behind the net, your goalie protection should vanish.
    Posted by nrguy

Be careful what you wish for.  TT plays a lot of the game outside the crease.  According to your rules, is he fair game?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Protecting goalies who leave the crease is idiotic. If you come out of the crease to play the puck, you should be fair game just like any other player. You don't like it, stay in the net. Doesn't mean someone on the other team won't come calling for a tussle. I just think that its BS for a goalie to come out of the net and play the puck like a forward or a defenseman and still get the same protection as if he were in the net. If you're more than 4 feet out of your crease or behind the net, your goalie protection should vanish.
    Posted by nrguy

I agree with this.

I don't think this deserves a suspension, but given the atmosphere on concussions right now, I would be surprised if Lucic doesn't get a game or two. I still think Miller is a little bi.tch and the Sabres deserve a sh.itbeating. Just because they're Buffalo, that's why.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Lucic Hearing : Be careful what you wish for.  TT plays a lot of the game outside the crease.  According to your rules, is he fair game?
    Posted by 49-North

ummmm, yup. just as cbc, and tsn informed us, as well as vignealt during the finals. remember all the "TT is taking liberties coming out that far"... "they've got to make him pay". the difference was,  when TT was contacted outside the crease, nobody cried here. if i remember correctly, TT himself took it into his own hands with a couple nice checks. not to mention every team that faced the bruins knew they would have to answer the bell if any liberties were taken with TT.  i feel bad for miller... he has no such luxury. did you read the TT quote after the game, he said he was "on his toes" the remainder of the game. waiting for that sabre-justice that NEVER came.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

As usual, Dr CC has it pretty much bang on.  The rules for supplementary discipline are collectively bargained because suspending Lucic for a game or two to send a message means taking $45K-$90K out of his pocket.  That's steep.  That's a year's salary for a lot of people - and maybe 3 years salary for a lot of people.  So...it can't be just because.

Second reason Dr CC is right - Lucic did not lay a hit on Ryan Miller.  He collided with him.  The difference is the angle Lucic contacts him - he doesn't drive through him, he protects himself and actually lessens some of the impact by turning his body away from contact.  If he had actually intended to hit Miller in that situation and had driven through the point of contact, Miller would be a fine red mist right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

From the pro-suspension people, I would just like to hear exactly what Shanahan's explanation would be.  I think we've seen many instances of players colliding with goalies on races to the puck.  Lucic should have veered off and he deserved the penalty.  Other than that, he didn't charge, elbow, hit the head, leave his feet, blindside, etc.

The rules allow for collisions.  If you hit a goalie, you'll get a penalty. 

It's not like he bit a guy...

The reason I thought it was stupid play by Lucic, is simply that I was waiting for Thomas to get run hard by the Sabres in retaliation.  I was expecting it, and if it happened, I think some of the blame would have to go on Lucic.  But the Sabres didn't bother responding in any way, so now the cry is for the league to jump in and protect them.

One more point.  If Miller did indeed get a concussion from that play, the Sabres trainer should be fired on the spot.  With the current hyper-emphasis on concussions, tell me how the trainer comes out and inspects Miller for 5 minutes, determines that a concussion can be presumptiveluy ruled out, keeps Miller in the game, and then they decide afterwards that he had a concussion?  Total ineptitude if that's true.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Shanahan should spend his time figuring out the fine line of who is the victim of a hit/concussion?  Agreed the goalie is protected too much to the point of where the blue line is a demarcation of where he becomes a "hockey player".  Define what a goalie can and cannot do outsdie his crease.  North is correct on goalies who play outside the crease, they are vulnerable.  He is absolutely wrong on protecting the goalie to the point goalies cannot be checked at all, like I said in another thread Billy Smith would handle the Lucic hit in his own way certainly not crying in the media.  BTW Lucic did deserve a penalty even if the player was not a goalie.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

I think Miller will think twice the next time he plays the puck outside the crease. That is reason enough for me that Lucic was right in doing what he did. Miller is a sheepish crybaby. He went to play the puck knowing what and who was chasing it down. Then the swing of his goal stick should have been called also. If he was "HURT SO BAD" he would have been unable to react to Looch. What a joke!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The reasoning for a suspension would be that Lucic could've avoided the hit, but instead chose to intentionally knock Miller down. If this were incidental, there would be the 2 min penalty and nothing more. I don't agree, but having the meeting is to determine if there was intent to have a vicious collision when there was ample opportunity to avoid.

Same went with Chara, and intent is very, very tough to call. Just reading these boards, there are so many ways to view it.

As much as I think it's BS, the reality is Lucic did have time to avoid Miller, and he skated into him of his own free will. In order to protect future runs at goalies, I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 games. He certainly won't get 5, which would put him out of the next Buffalo game. So, they'll get their shot.

However, I'm still cranked that Miller gets away with the slash - a clear swipe with the intent of striking a player with his stick. Should also be suspended, but he's somehow getting a free pass.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I know others have made the same observation.  I certainly think you need to protect Goaltenders when they are in the act of making a save in and around the key.

However, if the goaltender decides to skate towards a loose puck, he should be the same as every other player on the ice and subjected to the same rules.

Why should any player have to look to avoid hitting a goaltender in that instance?  In my mind it gives goaltenders an unfair advantage and by extension puts forwards looking to get to the puck at a disadvantage.  Head shots are, ofcourse, a different point altogether, but a clean hit regardless of how hard it is should not be judged differently just because it was the goaltender.

You want to act like a defenceman, then be ready to accept the consequences.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Looch was taking out his frustration on Miller for blowing a breakaway scoring chance. Having said that I don't think he deserves a suspension and I am looking forward to his tilt with Zack Kassian on the 23rd!

Sections
Shortcuts