Lucic will be suspended

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Re: Lucic will be suspended

Just because he's got to go in means he's going to get something, so I think they will give him 2 for showing up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Lucic will be suspended:
    [QUOTE]Once again North, after being objective for a moment (recent posts) you get lost again in the egoism.  Most think the Lucic hit as defined is a suspension.  It has nothing to do with your Vancouver azz.  Objective thinking!  Now did Rinaldo turn at the last minute?, yup.  Shannahan will now have to deal with the ramifications of calling more as opposed to Colin Campbell, embellishment will "run amok".  Any person could figure this would be the next course of logic as a disciplinarian, players turning into the action then doing an embellishment for more penalty minutes.  Lucic deserves a suspension, YET, I will wait to see if truly Shannahan can handle the discipline of penaltizing or fining for embellishment. All said and done, Vancourver bites without ASCPA notification! You are a lonely troll on a Boston site.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

I've been away for a day and come back to find posters still losing it on 49north . I see I haven't missed a thing. Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Just because he's got to go in means he's going to get something, so I think they will give him 2 for showing up.
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

So far, I'm batting 1000 on this stuff.  Thought Chara would be suspended, and figured Lucic would get a couple for the Miller thing.
    The one thing I "think" I've learned, is that the league isn't swayed by public perception. 
    I applaud them on that.
    I watched this incident over and over, and for the life of me, all I see is an overly sensitive, knee jerk call. 
    Hence the drama and subsequent review.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Suspension or not...short term issue, no big deal. I only have 2 concerns -

1) is that the calls on the ice start to get increasingly hyper sensitive on this team as a whole due to multiple recent reviews by the league, which I think may already be happening

2) Is that any disciplinary actions eventually make Lucic, Chara, and the the rest of the team stop playing the aggressive style that makes them who they are, and separates them from the rest of the NHL.

Can't be penalized for being bigger stronger and more physically imposing than the opposition. Mass = Energy.  If a Chris Versteeg for example makes that hit, probably aren't even discussing it. Every opposing player should be looking over their shoulder to see where the likes of 17 and 33 are based on nothing more than size and strength - Deal with it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]Once again North, after being objective for a moment (recent posts) you get lost again in the egoism.  Most think the Lucic hit as defined is a suspension.  It has nothing to do with your Vancouver azz.  Objective thinking!  Now did Rinaldo turn at the last minute?, yup.  Shannahan will now have to deal with the ramifications of calling more as opposed to Colin Campbell, embellishment will "run amok".  Any person could figure this would be the next course of logic as a disciplinarian, players turning into the action then doing an embellishment for more penalty minutes.  Lucic deserves a suspension, YET, I will wait to see if truly Shannahan can handle the discipline of penaltizing or fining for embellishment. All said and done, Vancourver bites without ASCPA notification! You are a lonely troll on a Boston site.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I agree with this, given the comments that I have have seen it seems closer to 50/50. I posted a couple of different polls to try to flush that out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Bob McKenzie
    One-game suspension for BOS's Milan Lucic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

[QUOTE]TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie One-game suspension for BOS's Milan Lucic.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

One game suspension is pretty weak, must be to appease to all of the whiners in the Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal fanbase with their theories of special treatment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I didn't think he deserved a suspension.....heck I didn't even think he deserved a misconduct.  But I did feel that Lucic should have received a suspension for the Miller hit.  So what do I know?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't think he deserved a suspension.....heck I didn't even think he deserved a misconduct.  But I did feel that Lucic should have received a suspension for the Miller hit.  So what do I know?
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

I agree, the Lucic-Miller hit was a more suspendable offense than this..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=383119

Comment section never disappoints, never...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]                  http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=383119 Comment section never disappoints, never...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!!  Thanks SanDog......I needed a good laugh!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Shanahan video on Lucic suspension released.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&intcmpid=nhl-hp-vidchn-safety

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]Shanahan video on Lucic suspension released. http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&intcmpid=nhl-hp-vidchn-safety
    So his conclusion is that he needed to be suspended due to the cumulative borderline-ness of his hits.  Is anyone else understanding it that way?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic will be suspended : So his conclusion is that he needed to be suspended due to the cumulative borderline-ness of his hits.  Is anyone else understanding it that way?
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

I see that as one of four problems with the Shanahan video.

The other three?
    - Shanahan implies that Lucic is hitting Rinaldo in retaliation for the hit on Horton.  Problem is that Rinaldo has the puck.
    - Shanahan dismisses the fact that this is not completely from behind, there is a side-element to the contact.
    - Shanahan also suggests that Lucic could have minimized the contact.  I would submit that Lucic did not apply full-force to this hit.

You could see this one coming, too bad Shanahan caved to all of the internet pressure.  The down side is that Lucic's supplemental discipline rap sheet increases and could make things dicey down the road.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

BS total BS

How does Phaneuf get away with it.

I am kind of happy because Lucic has been taking a lot of dumb penalties.
    I hope this is a lesson .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucic will be suspended : I see that as one of four problems with the Shanahan video. The other three? - Shanahan implies that Lucic is hitting Rinaldo in retaliation for the hit on Horton.  Problem is that Rinaldo has the puck. - Shanahan dismisses the fact that this is not completely from behind, there is a side-element to the contact. - Shanahan also suggests that Lucic could have minimized the contact.  I would submit that Lucic did not apply full-force to this hit. You could see this one coming, too bad Shanahan caved to all of the internet pressure.  The down side is that Lucic's supplemental discipline rap sheet increases and could make things dicey down the road.

weak weak weak by Shannhan. 
    He suspended Lucic because he got crap from all the GMs on the Miller hit.

Anyway I hope the Bruins smash the Habs just to shut up all those whiners on TSN.ca

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Sets the precedent going forward that this type hit will not be tolerated.  I'm fine with the 1 game suspension.  If you're going to drill someone at least man up and look him in the eye.  Hits from behind are as cheap as they get.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

You know what else is BS,  the time of the hearing.
    Shannahan yesterday could determine Cole for his hit did not deserve a suspension but could not deal with Lucic ???
    Would have been nice for Julien to know in advance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]Sets the precedent going forward that this type hit will not be tolerated.  I'm fine with the 1 game suspension.  If you're going to drill someone at least man up and look him in the eye.  Hits from behind are as cheap as they get.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

What precedent are you talking about?  Phaneuf got nothing for a more dangerous infraction on Kassian. 

In Shanahan's explanation, he says that Lucic's hit is not particularly egregious, but it's more the cumulative effect of his total body of work (previous suspension and fine). 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Sets the precedent going forward that this type hit will not be tolerated.  I'm fine with the 1 game suspension.  If you're going to drill someone at least man up and look him in the eye.  Hits from behind are as cheap as they get.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

precedent?? go see Phaneufs hit on Kassian friday night in Buffalo. Much worse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Sorry, poor word choice on my part...I'll rephrase my statement...I'll be interested in seeing how Shanny handles future hits that are similar.  I hope he starts now and tries to get them out of the game. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Has anyone been suspended before not for an individual hit but for toeing the line one too many times?  That may be the interesting precedent set by this suspension.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]Has anyone been suspended before not for an individual hit but for toeing the line one too many times?  That may be the interesting precedent set by this suspension.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

I think this is the key takeaway.   Interesting that reputation worked against Lucic, but worked for Phaneuf.  Lucic had only been previously suspended 1 time, for the stick foul on Lappy. 

Shanahan introducing his subjective perspective of a player's game makes this whole suspension thing get very dicey going forward.  Personally, I don't like it.  Decide to suspend on the merits of the play and assess duration based on a combination of egregiousness of the play and player's previous body of work.