Lucic's Response....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

Re: Lucic's Response....

In Response to Re: Lucic's Response....:
    In Response to Re: Lucic's Response.... : Where you come from is not where most people play hockey, because this unwritten rule exists at every level. There is no honor in cheap shotting someone, but whatever, its not that big of a deal. He deserves a 2 minutes penalty for it, nothing more, but it was cowardly.
    Posted by Olsonicator

You're exactly right. It's an unwritten rule. Where I come from (love this saying haha), you can hit the goalie as much as you want, but it's probably only going to be once if you get what I'm saying.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

zzzzzzz, go flex your epeen somewhere else.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

In Response to Re: Lucic's Response.... : Are you a Bruins fan or an Avalanche fan? To call a body check a "cheap shot" on an open ice play is pathetic.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Think what you want. You're north-shore cliche.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I will never understand why, in a "tough" sport like hockey, goalies are treated like fine crystal, and in a "whimpy" sport like baseball, it is open season on any catcher trying to make an out, at home plate.
    The goalies should have a "safe zone" of their crease and the area behind the net where they can handle the puck. If they make the decision to go outside of that area, a skater should be allowed to make contact with them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You can call running the goaltender a lot of things, but gutless shouldn't be one of them.  That's one where you better be ready to answer the bell. 

I didn't get to see the game, and I haven't seen the play, but I'll also point out that Ryan Miller is never shy about criticizing others for what he considers to be "disgusting".  He's awfully mouthy to be hiding behind his wet-towel weight class when he does get into a collision.  And while it's true, the goalie is never as protected against contact as other players who can move more freely and position their bodies to take contact better (their protection is designed to stop pucks, not bodies), there is a huge difference in the kind of conduct violation it is when you hit a goalie in the open ice on or after a race to the puck and the garbage the Canucks pull where, ooops! they're falling into a prone goaltender in the crease at high speed.  Vastly different things.

And lastly, there's a reason why a man known for the phrase "No Respect" named a dive the Triple Lindy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ah the goaltender was out of the crease and playing the puck.  IMNSHO Miller knew the chances of a collision.  Should have Lucic have stepped aside, in the wussy azz NHL yes, he should have alowed Miller to pass the puck up ice and trap Lucic deep in the offensive zone.  OMG, when Thomas gets runned he is in his crease!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

The play warranted a 2 minute penalty but no more. Lucic served it and didn't whine about. If he and the team were willing to accept it, why not. It's not much different than when the team sacrifices Chara for the sake of fighting and sending a message.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

you can debate the cleanliness of the hit, but you know timmy and tuukka would have gotten back up and taken care of that themselves. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Remember the "revenge" game against Pittsburg?  I wouldn't be shocked to see the same thing.Posted by DrCC

Yes but Bettman and Campbell announced they would be at that game. So if Shanahan doesn't announce he is going to be there I expect Ruff to make sure his squad needs to make a statement in front of their home crowd. So I would be surprised if Koleta doesn't make some runs at Thomas.

That fact that the game could be for 1st place and the posturing in the media is going to be immense for the build up of the next game IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

im suspecting buffalo will counteract with really obnoxous crease antics. they cant beat anybody up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

How many of you guys wanted Thornton to run Luongo during the finals? There was a whol discussion dedicated to him doing that. Looch is going to slow down for that. It wasn't a dirty hit. The only reason it was a penalty is because Miller is a goalie. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

My spin might surprise some.  I loved it!  He didnt go full steam and run him over.  I would take that 2 min pim every game.  Miller is a bit of a yapper...Lucic could have destroyed him but simply said Im not giving ground.  Someone do something about it.  No one did.  Im not big on Lucic's remarks especially since he was on the ice when Savy had his career ended by Cooke.   But in a big game for this team he created something.  It could have back fired.  It didnt.  Lucic for sure will be challenged next game.   The rematch is soon.  I worry about Kaleta-Cooke.  He will run anyone...doesnt care. 
    Kelv- When did regehr become a hard nosed heavy weight.  I bet he would have dropped the gloves if he was on.  He would have lost but likely fights him.  I dumped Regehr anyway.  I am sticking with Souray.  :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

SABRES' MILLER OUT WITH A CONCUSSION AFTER LUCIC HIT

The hit was worth the penalty that it drew, nothing more.

Nobody happy that Miller may have a  concussion, I am sure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

I like how our fans are supporting the B's, but I am reading a lot of BLIND loyalty here. I love Looch, but this was a major league cheap shot.

A lot of posters are a bit confused about the rules hitting  a goalie. You cannot hit a goalie anywhere on the ice. This has been a rule since the 1980's. Lucic ran Miller and gave him a concussion-cheap shot. There is no gray area here. His response after the game confirmed it. If you saw the interview, he was holding back a smile when he made the comments.

This is the first time I have questioned LUcic's intentions. He is one of my favorites, but hitting Miller? RM is a great tender and stand-up guy.

This type of play is how teams BEGIN to get bad reputations(see Vancouver, Montreal). That isn't the way the game is supposed to be played. FAct-Buffalo should of retaliated, but it was a major league cheap shot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

With my Center Ice package -- I have the choice of which feed. In any case I would rather poke my ear drums out than listen to Richard Skull Jeanneret but I couldn't wait to watch the entire replay at 11 pm with clueless Rick. 

When Looch hit Cryan Miller -- he freaked -- "Someone should clean this guys clock". When nobody did he mocked a lip read from one of the Sabre players -- "Well you have a goalie too". This guy is a mega tool. He got to call a bunch of goals after that -- too bad only 1 was for a Sabre goal and he spared us the obnoxious call. This guy makes Rob Ray seem intelligent. 
    See below -- Rodney Dangerfield on crack.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I like how our fans are supporting the B's, but I am reading a lot of BLIND loyalty here. I love Looch, but this was a major league cheap shot. A lot of posters are a bit confused about the rules hitting  a goalie. You cannot hit a goalie anywhere on the ice. This has been a rule since the 1980's. Lucic ran Miller and gave him a concussion-cheap shot. There is no gray area here. His response after the game confirmed it. If you saw the interview, he was holding back a smile when he made the comments. This is the first time I have questioned LUcic's intentions. He is one of my favorites, but hitting Miller? RM is a great tender and stand-up guy. This type of play is how teams BEGIN to get bad reputations(see Vancouver, Montreal). That isn't the way the game is supposed to be played. FAct-Buffalo should of retaliated, but it was a major league cheap shot.
    Posted by stingerjp

I disagree.  Van and Montreal played scared and teams that do that usually play dirty.  Lucic would have answered the bell with anyone. 
    I dont even see it as a major league cheap shot.  If Lucic wanted to roll Miller over he would have destoyed him.  He didnt wanna move out of his way. 
    Miller being a standup guy is debateable as well.  He has turned into a yapper.  Stop the puck and be weird.  Thats all that is expected from a goalie. 
    Buffalo could have responded.  To a man they didnt.  Concusion is a joke. If thats a concusion I just got one from banging my head after reading that he had one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Shupe- i agree that Lucic would have dropped the gloves with anyone on that team. To me, that doesn't make that hit ok. Lucic is the one that needs to avoid Miller. Miller played the puck and goalies are protected under the rules.

The B's had a great run in the playoffs and got a lot of credit when they didn't stoop to the levels of VAN or MON... I just hope we don't see any more of these hits by our Black and Gold.

Lastly-you are right on about goalies: Stop the puck and be weird!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

If a goaltender wants to leave the crease and play the puck like a skater, he has to be prepared to be treated like any other player.  Otherwise he can just carry the puck down the ice and score and not be touched. There is a line that if the goaltender crosses, he should no longer feel protected.  For me that line is the crease, or at least close to it.  From the rulebook it is "in the act of making a save" where he is protected. Miller was not making a goaltending play, he was making a defensman play and stopping a breakaway. So he got hit. I doubt he has a concussion anyway, I think he's actually going to miss a few games because he is playing really bad this year. The hit is a good reason to keep him out and makes it dramatic. That said, I don't like the hit.  Not because it was dirty, it was a 2 minute minor at most.  I don't like it because it was controversial and it again makes the Bruins ( and Lucic) look like a dirty team in the public eye, which they are not.  That's not good for getting favorable calls down the road.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

stinger.  Im not trying to argue with you.  But did you watch the Bruins last year.  Their run was littered with questionable after whistle stuff. 
    As for Lucic, yes he likely should have attempted to avoid him.  Being a hard nosed player means walking the line.  If you cross the line and run and hide that is a rat.  But the 70-80's this was a common practice.  Lucic knew it would draw a crowd and would have dropped the mits.  I don't think it should happen every night but I dont really think its a dirty hit.  Im sorry but I dont and I usually play the other side on these.  Lucic is a big man and if he wanted to really really hit and hurt Miller he would have bent him like a pretzel. 

Im glad we agree on the goalie bit though.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

stinger.  Im not trying to argue with you.  But did you watch the Bruins last year.  Their run was littered with questionable after whistle stuff.  As for Lucic, yes he likely should have attempted to avoid him.  Being a hard nosed player means walking the line.  If you cross the line and run and hide that is a rat.  But the 70-80's this was a common practice.  Lucic knew it would draw a crowd and would have dropped the mits.  I don't think it should happen every night but I dont really think its a dirty hit.  Im sorry but I dont and I usually play the other side on these.  Lucic is a big man and if he wanted to really really hit and hurt Miller he would have bent him like a pretzel.  Im glad we agree on the goalie bit though.  :)
    Posted by shuperman

I didn't take any offense...there has been questionable stuff last year, you are right.  I'm just a little bothered because Looch is one of my favorites on this squad and it seems like I believe this hit was dirtier than most other fans believe...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Lucic's Response.... : I didn't take any offense...there has been questionable stuff last year, you are right.  I'm just a little bothered because Looch is one of my favorites on this squad and it seems like I believe this hit was dirtier than most other fans believe...
    Posted by stingerjp

Lucic brings a certain element that I just have to accept.  His hit on Spacek last yr to me was more borderline and a dumb dumb play.  Thats why I was upset, b/c it was a playoff game and a crucial one.  If Lucic wants to a run a goalie in game 15, 20 50, 82 I dont mind. 
    Keep enjoying Looch.  He is a big man who plays on the edge.  Like Grapes said.  When a crusher becomes a rusher he soon becomes and usher.  Lucic did good!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

If a goaltender wants to leave the crease and play the puck like a skater, he has to be prepared to be treated like any other player.  Otherwise he can just carry the puck down the ice and score and not be touched. There is a line that if the goaltender crosses, he should no longer feel protected.  For me that line is the crease, or at least close to it.  From the rulebook it is "in the act of making a save" where he is protected. Miller was not making a goaltending play, he was making a defensman play and stopping a breakaway.
    Posted by OatesCam

I believe your rulebook reference is mistaken.  Here is a quote and link from the NHL rulebook:

"A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26480

Sections
Shortcuts