lucky

  1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

    lucky

    “Lucky tip, pass, goal!”  “Hockey is a game of luck!”  “The Bs won or lost on a lucky goal.”  The word luck is a common word used by the media, fans, and on these boards.  It is time for some debunking of the word usage with all sports but more importantly hockey.

     The game is played on ice, and requires passing shooting of a small disk while others hit, push, and stick the player with the puck. It is difficult game to play; the best of players have to have skill to place themselves in positions to stop the other team from scoring a goal.  Statistically it is more difficult to score a goal than hit a baseball.  So why apply lucky to goal scoring etc.  In a cross sport reference, is it lucky when Pierce shoots a 35 footer to win a game, or a Roberts to steal second base, or a Mayo to recover a fumble?  All of those could be luck as well, or is it better say the player was in the right position with the skill set to do those things. I think the word is used by people who do not understand the sport.  

     

     

     
  2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

    Re: lucky

    In Response to lucky:
    [QUOTE]“Lucky tip, pass, goal!”   “Hockey is a game of luck!”   “The Bs won or lost on a lucky goal.”   The word luck is a common word used by the media, fans, and on these boards.   It is time for some debunking of the word usage with all sports but more importantly hockey.  The game is played on ice, and requires passing shooting of a small disk while others hit, push, and stick the player with the puck. It is difficult game to play; the best of players have to have skill to place themselves in positions to stop the other team from scoring a goal.   Statistically it is more difficult to score a goal than hit a baseball.   So why apply lucky to goal scoring etc.   In a cross sport reference, is it lucky when Pierce shoots a 35 footer to win a game, or a Roberts to steal second base, or a Mayo to recover a fumble?   All of those could be luck as well, or is it better say the player was in the right position with the skill set to do those things.  I think the word is used by people who do not understand the sport.      
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

    Good post Isla ! I feel 'lucky' to have not skipped over this thread .
     
  3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

    Re: lucky

    It is very true, luck is over-rated in hockey.  I had a very old wise hockey coach, long since past, who had some great lines about hockey.  One was, 'Good players make their luck.'  It's so true.  Watching Gretz or Lemieux you would say they are lucky, because the puck seems to land at their feet right when they are in a spot to score.  It's not, it's understanding the game and anticipating the play and having the skill to finish. 
     
  4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

    Re: lucky

       "I think the word is used by people who do not understand the sport."

    Those same supposed sports fans wouldn't be saying that if their favorite team were the current champ. There is a jealousy throughout the sports world when it comes to Boston sports teams right now. Opposing fans will say anything to get the goat of Bruin, Celtic, Patriot and Sox fans right now because New England is on a nice run. I just laugh at them especially New York sports fans.

    PS. Next time you see a Shab fan yell out "1993"
    Tongue out
     
  5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

    Re: lucky

    I prefer to acknowledge the Hockey Gods, rather than call it luck.  There is a big difference!
     
  6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

    Re: lucky

    In Response to lucky:
    [QUOTE]“Lucky tip, pass, goal!”   “Hockey is a game of luck!”   “The Bs won or lost on a lucky goal.”   The word luck is a common word used by the media, fans, and on these boards.   It is time for some debunking of the word usage with all sports but more importantly hockey.  The game is played on ice, and requires passing shooting of a small disk while others hit, push, and stick the player with the puck. It is difficult game to play; the best of players have to have skill to place themselves in positions to stop the other team from scoring a goal.   Statistically it is more difficult to score a goal than hit a baseball.   So why apply lucky to goal scoring etc.   In a cross sport reference, is it lucky when Pierce shoots a 35 footer to win a game, or a Roberts to steal second base, or a Mayo to recover a fumble?   All of those could be luck as well, or is it better say the player was in the right position with the skill set to do those things.  I think the word is used by people who do not understand the sport.      
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    My father always used to say "you have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good". it makes sense I think.
     
  7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

    Re: lucky

    In Response to Re: lucky:
    [QUOTE]In Response to lucky : My father always used to say "you have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good". it makes sense I think.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

    ^Darn straight -- that's it right there. 

    Things even out too.  I publicly called out the hockey God's after the first two games in Vancouver for their gross oversights in allowing Torres and Burrows to celebrate back-to-back game winning goals.  The Bruins won 4 of the next 5 and won the Cup.  I'll never question again...
     
  8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

    Re: lucky

    Derek Sanderson used to say that all the time too. Good teams capatalize on mistakes and limit their own..yeah thats bounce in game 7 vs montreal could have gone in, but it didnt.
     
  9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

    Re: lucky

    There were plenty of plays when "luck" was against the B's on offense and on defense.

    Unlike Vancouver, the B's didn't fold like a house of cards.
     
  10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aplymoutht. Show aplymoutht's posts

    Re: lucky

    Another key point is that, unlike "chance", luck applies to a single individual. What's good luck for the Bruins might have stemmed from a lack of focus from the opposing team.

    For example, was lucky that Tim Thomas was able to save Gionta's shot on that 2-on-1 during Game 7? For Timmy, luck may have only been a small part of it; I'm sure there was a whole lifetime of training that went ino making that save. For the fans, the coaches, and his teammates it was lucky, lucky that Timmy worked so hard for all those years.

    If Paul Pierce (a career 85% free throw shooter) misses a game-tying free-throw late in a Game 7, that's realy unlucky for Doc Rivers. What are the odds that that 15% would come to pass. For Paul Pierce, maybe it wasn't luck at all, maybe it was a lack of focus...

    There will always be luck involved in sports, and you can never prove that single instance was caused by luck or skill That's why scientists invented experiments with control groups and large sample sizes; in sports we don't have that luxury!
     
  11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

    Re: lucky


    "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it."

                                                                         - Thomas Jefferson
     
  12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

    Re: lucky

    I believe the skill set theory for "good" luck. Right person, right time.

    However, I believe in "bad" luck. Ice piled up on pass and gets deflected off the players stick nulifying a potential goal. Stancions make unusual deflection.
    The Gomez situation. Yes Thomas was in the right place at right time to make the save. Not Luck = Skill.
    Gomez side of story. Right person, right time, bad play. Should have known Thomas would be there to make the save.

    Many times players make unbelievable plays, called skill! Other times players make unbelievable plays however the opposition makes a better play. More skill.
     
  13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

    Re: lucky

    In Response to Re: lucky:
    [QUOTE]Derek Sanderson used to say that all the time too. Good teams capatalize on mistakes and limit their own..yeah thats bounce in game 7 vs montreal could have gone in, but it didnt.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Dad was a Bruins fan so Turk is probably who he got it from.
     
Sections
Shortcuts

Share