luongo for joe thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

luongo for joe thornton

mike keenan is on sportsnets playoff preview show discussing when he traded luongo.  he said the bruins offered joe thornton for him but he chose to trade him to the canucks.........wow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: luongo for thornton

i thought it was a trade propsal about leaky lou for shawn thornton... even up. thought about it, at first i was fot it. then realized #22 is too big a part of his bruins, and leaky lou's gaa in boston is somewhere north of completely embarrassing. nope, wouldn't do it. next  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Man, I'd love to hear about that back room stuff, I wonder what other offers were made for Thornton.

As a rule in that situation I always say trade an underperforming star for another underperforming star and hope the change of scenario benefits everyone.

You DON'T trade for 
    deer in the headlights Primeau (where's my brother?)
    out of town asap defenseman (he was married to that actress and wanted to move to LA, but ended up in Detroit?)
    and one decent player who had the potential to stick around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

...and the Tim Thomas era would never have gotten off the ground, as he hovered around .500 those years. This is the most I've ever liked Mike Keenan. I'm one of the rare ones that feels Lou will never, ever be able to get over the hump and win a cup. Thank goodness he'll never wear black and gold.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: luongo for joe thornton

Loungo's current idiotic contract wasn't signed until 09' so there would not have been any absorption. Doubtful Chiarelli would have offered that ridiculous extension.  MOC would have made a much better deal, going by what Boston had at the time of the supposed swap, than his lame deal to San Jose assuming the story were true.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

i was always under the impression all the other gm's were shocked and disappointed when thornton was traded because no one else knew about it.  guess not, i wonder what other tires were kicked before landing on SJ.  tires kicked on a tire pumper.

thank the hockey gods it didn't happen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

It would have been nice to get some better assets in the trade, but I've always looked at it as a salary dump.  The Bruins felt they were getting out of a bad contract, and singed Chara and Savard on the first day of free agency the following summer.  Getting some high draft picks along with those signings would have made this a great deal, but inspite of trading for the wrong Primeau, freeing up the cap space to sign Chara was a huge part in last years Cup run.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I wasnt aware Keenan had a say on trades while he was here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: luongo for joe thornton:
    I wasnt aware Keenan had a say on trades while he was here.
    Posted by kelvana33

He traded Luongo. He had no say in Bruins trades.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: luongo for joe thornton : He traded Luongo. He had no say in Bruins trades.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Ahhh, he was talking about when he was running the other team, interesting though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

I might be the minority - but given the choice of packages - Sturm/Primeau/Stuart or Luongo/others I think the Luongo deal would have been the better deal.  Remember, that was 6+ yrs ago and Luongo would have been a nice fit in Boston back then.

Yeah yeah .. we won the Cup half a decade later I know.  But when the Sturm/Primeau/Stuart deal was announced I was like ... what??  It was obvious that deal was done quickly.

Funny how things work out. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Imagine that .... maybe O'Connell would still be here, Chiarelli wouldn't have been hired and the Bruins would have lost to the Canucks in the final .
    I'm feeling sick already

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

In Response to Re: luongo for thornton:
    i thought it was a trade propsal about leaky lou for shawn thornton... even up. thought about it, at first i was fot it. then realized #22 is too big a part of his bruins, and leaky lou's gaa in boston is somewhere north of completely embarrassing. nope, wouldn't do it. next  
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Why would the B's want a fourth string goalie, Hutch is doing ok... Hindsight being 20/20, what would have looked like a much better trade then might have kept us from the cup. If i recall, the trade offered was lou and oddly enough, Horton for Raycroft & Thornton.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In Response to Re: luongo for joe thornton : Ahhh, he was talking about when he was running the other team, interesting though.
    Posted by kelvana33

The other thing that Keenan added (tot he best of my recollection) was that he was told by the owner to trade Luongo, and that Luongo and his agent were asking for a contract in the US$30M (CDN$33M) range. He said he told Luongo & agent that was too much - especially since he was a goaltender that was unproven in the playoffs.

Keenan suggested that he sign the offerred deal, win some games/series, etc and then the owner would be happy to pay him his requests on his next contract.

Not sure if he signed a large deal and he was traded or how the rest came down.
    That is for someone else to research...   :^)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Imagine that .... maybe O'Connell would still be here, Chiarelli wouldn't have been hired and the Bruins would have lost to the Canucks in the final . I'm feeling sick already
    Posted by BsLegion

The change was coming, it just came late.  That old school gm style of Sinden and MOC (who was nothing but a Sinden clone) was going the way of the dinosaurs.  it was just a matter of time before the franchise righted itself.

They should have been fired for that idiotic plan for the cap, if you just stop and think it through for more than a minute you have to ask how they would get a windfall of good players on the cheap.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

And that story is either total BS or what he actually said is that when the Bruins traded Thornton, they called him to see if they could get Luongo.

Thornton was traded in November of 2005.  Luongo wasn't dealt until June of 2006.  The Bruins didn't have JT to offer when Keenan traded Luongo. For this story to be true, he would have "decided to take the Vancouver offer instead" eight months later, which would make me think that the former Bruins coach who finally launched Thornton into stardom didn't want him back. 

Typical Sportsnet moment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Imagine that .... maybe O'Connell would still be here, Chiarelli wouldn't have been hired and the Bruins would have lost to the Canucks in the final . I'm feeling sick already
    Posted by BsLegion

Would the Bruins have even been in position to make the finals vs Vancouver with MOC at the wheel? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

And that story is either total BS or what he actually said is that when the Bruins traded Thornton, they called him to see if they could get Luongo. Thornton was traded in November of 2005.  Luongo wasn't dealt until June of 2006.  The Bruins didn't have JT to offer when Keenan traded Luongo. For this story to be true, he would have "decided to take the Vancouver offer instead" eight months later, which would make me think that the former Bruins coach who finally launched Thornton into stardom didn't want him back.  Typical Sportsnet moment.
    Posted by Bookboy007

he basically said that the owner instructed him to trade luongo once contract negotiations stalled.  The host asked if he discussed lou with any other teams and he said the bruins offered thornton. There was no timeline discussed as to when those contract negotiatons stalled. 

Sections
Shortcuts