Luongo, Luongo, Luongo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Luongo, Luongo, Luongo

Sick of him, yet?  Gillis in now saying that they chose to keep Lou. 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428294

No surprise as it wasn't rocket science to see that might be the better option - assuming you think that Luongo is still a top tier goalie or at least as good as Schneider would be.  The same logic that made it seem like the Canucks had to trade Luongo and keep Schneider meant Schneider was better trade bait.  And if you think about it, the choice they had was really this:  Schneider, some second tier assets like Tyler Bozak and a third round pick, and some cap space...but maybe not much if they had to eat some of Luongo's contract...  versus a top 10 blue chip prospect and some cap space (Schneider's $4M less a backup goalie - currently Eddie Lack at $750K).

Plenty of stories that Gillis didn't like what he was being offered for Luongo - if he had been offered anything in the ballpark, he probably goes with Schneider, but because the assets coming back didn't help the Canucks, he didn't pull the trigger.  The offers weren't great because of the contract - team has to pay twice, once in trade bait and once in cap space.  But for the Canucks, the contract is less of an issue than the log-jam of two starting goalies and the need for some good, young talent.  I doubt Bo Horvat plays in Vancouver this year, even though he played like a guy trying to make the NHL in the OHL playoffs and the Memorial Cup.  But he could be what Vancouver has wanted for a while - a power centre behind the twins.

Gillis's story is likely revisionist, but its not the worst gamble I've seen.  (Easy, shupe...)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Luongo, Luongo, Luongo

In my opinion, they tried numerous times to deal Luongo. Gillis wanted the team to take the whole contract and he wanted value in return. Teams would not do it. Gillis let this go on for far too long and finally realized in order to get value in return he had to deal Schneider. Had he dealt him last year, with longer term on his deal and his value higher he may have gotten more. I think he did well and found the right partner in New Jersey. He kind of lucked out there.

Now, he is trying to sooth over any bad feelings with Luongo now that he is the number one. To me, Luongos deal isnt that bad, and he is still a very good goalie. He is the starting goalie on a John Tortarella coached team so he could have a nice year.

If I were Gillis, I would be greatful the situation is resolved, luck I got top 10 pick, it being a player who could turn out to be a fan favorite and shut my mouth.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Prior to the draft, I'd have said the team most likely to put an offer sheet on Rask was the Devils - giant sucking hole of debt or not.  That's a good deal for both sides.  You don't see many top 10 picks traded for a single player...when the team knows it's a top ten pick, not a la the Laffs and Kessel. But the Devils need an heir apparent to the all time wins and shutouts leader.  The rebound girlfriend trophy goes to Cory Schneider.

I agree, kel, that Gillis tried many times to move Luongo, and I think there's something to what Gillis says Luongo feels: he has been given more blame for the loss to the Bruins than the rest of the Canucks.  The Sedins were invisible, Lapierre was an embarrassment, Bieksa was a joke, Hamhuis was exposed, Kesler was a shadow of himself, their checking lines were non-descript.  Boston destroyed them in Boston in a way that shows a total team melt-down, not just a bad goaltending performance.

I think that's partly why they initially decided it was Luongo who was gone.  Instead of saying hey, we have two great goalies - we can improve the team by moving one of them, so let's shop both and see what happens" they limited the conversation to Luongo and were surprised by how little they were offered.  They stuck to their guns, but the offers never changed.  It cost them two years before they came around to what they should have done at the outset.

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"He is the starting goalie on a John Tortarella coached team so he could have a nice year."

And probably a big reason why Gillis hired Tortorella once he finally gave in to the fact he was never going to have the best of both worlds- full salary dump and an NHL ready prospect or a #1 draft pick.

We pick on PCs drafting, Gillis has had two players play in over 30 games in the NHL since he took over in 2008. Trading for Keith Ballard from the Florida Panthers in exchange for a first-round draft pick, Michael Grabner and Steve Bernier was an especially nice touch.

I hope he is one n done again in this years playoffs as he has done nothing since inheriting a real good team. We won't have to see of hear him whine about opposing teams picking on his two girls.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Here's Gillis speaking about his recent meeting with Luongo.  He mentioned how "enthused" Luongo is about the team's future and that losing to the Bruins in the final changed things surrounding the team especially regarding how the goalie felt he was unfairly blamed.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gillis-luongo-good-happy-to-get-horvat/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think it is a big gamble because Bo Horvat doesn't keep pucks out of the net, and if Luongo continues the downward trend of inconsistency in recent years there will be little patience for him.  And Luongo is stuck there forever, regardless of his aging and emotional instability.

If/when Luongo falters, I think the fans and media will be all over him, because he was chosen over what appeared to be a more desirable option to many people.  Then the fans and media decide we want a young, elite goalie, you know, like the Bruins have.  And then they say "wait, we had that guy, and we dealt him away...not because we had to, but because our GM chose Luongo over him."

So, I think it is an added liability for Gillis to say it was a choice or a preference for Luongo.  You can bet that if Luongo stinks he'll change his tune and say "my hands were tied by the cap -- we couldn't keep Schneider...the league is plotting against us..." and so forth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Then they'll give him his lithium and a binky and his blanky and put him nighty-nite.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Untradeable goalie contract.  Had to deal the cheaper younger talent.   I think lou has a great year.  Write that down.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I think it is a big gamble because Bo Horvat doesn't keep pucks out of the net, and if Luongo continues the downward trend of inconsistency in recent years there will be little patience for him.  And Luongo is stuck there forever, regardless of his aging and emotional instability.

If/when Luongo falters, I think the fans and media will be all over him, because he was chosen over what appeared to be a more desirable option to many people.  Then the fans and media decide we want a young, elite goalie, you know, like the Bruins have.  And then they say "wait, we had that guy, and we dealt him away...not because we had to, but because our GM chose Luongo over him."

So, I think it is an added liability for Gillis to say it was a choice or a preference for Luongo.  You can bet that if Luongo stinks he'll change his tune and say "my hands were tied by the cap -- we couldn't keep Schneider...the league is plotting against us..." and so forth.

Fletch, he's changed his agent, Gilles Lupien, the guy who negotiated the 12 year, $64 million contract to the J. P. Barry and Pat Brisson team who have, among others as clients, the Sedins, Daniel Alfredsson, Jonathan Bernier, Danny Briere, Martin Brodeur, Dan Cleary, Cyndy Crosby (Heh, heh), Shane Doan, Matt Duschene, Ray Emery, Cam Fowler, Claude Giroux, Dany Heatley, Segei Gonchar, Shawn Horcoff, Erik Johnson, Seth Jones, Patrick Kane, Anze Kopitar, Nathan Makinnon, Evgeni Malkin, Max Talbot, John Tavares and Jonathan Toews.  Do you think anything should be read into him making this change at this time?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Vancouver+Canucks+Roberto+Luongo+drops/8703065/story.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Untradeable goalie contract.  Had to deal the cheaper younger talent.   I think lou has a great year.  Write that down.  

I think Leaky Lou might have a good/great year, always a possibility in Torts shot blocking system. Where he will fall down is in the playoffs as is usually the case with Lu, unless of course the Nucks don't make the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I don't know if it's that simple, shupe.  I think if, like the Bruins with Thomas, Gillis had been willing to accept whatever he could get to get out from under that deal, someone would have taken it.  It wasn't "untradeable" but it was detrimental to the type of return they could expect because it does involve risk and it is for an older player who is never going to be better than he's been so far.

Schneider is cheaper and younger, but the real kick is whether or not he's better.  Regular season, he had much better numbers.  Playoffs?  He had Bryzgalov/Fleury numbers.  I still say it came down to return.  If they really felt like they had to have Schneider plus cap room, they could have made a deal.  They decided they needed to get more than cap room for whichever guy they traded - bird in the hand is better than cash in pocket.  There's something in that about the true value of cap flexibility that's instructive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I think it is a big gamble because Bo Horvat doesn't keep pucks out of the net, and if Luongo continues the downward trend of inconsistency in recent years there will be little patience for him.  And Luongo is stuck there forever, regardless of his aging and emotional instability.

Fletch, he's changed his agent, Gilles Lupien, the guy who negotiated the 12 year, $64 million contract to the J. P. Barry and Pat Brisson team who have, among others as clients, the Sedins, Daniel Alfredsson, Jonathan Bernier, Danny Briere, Martin Brodeur, Dan Cleary, Cyndy Crosby (Heh, heh), Shane Doan, Matt Duschene, Ray Emery, Cam Fowler, Claude Giroux, Dany Heatley, Segei Gonchar, Shawn Horcoff, Erik Johnson, Seth Jones, Patrick Kane, Anze Kopitar, Nathan Makinnon, Evgeni Malkin, Max Talbot, John Tavares and Jonathan Toews.  Do you think anything should be read into him making this change at this time?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Vancouver+Canucks+Roberto+Luongo+drops/8703065/story.html

I have no idea RHO.  I just chuckle at the notion of canning the agent for getting you that $64 million contract.  What a jerk.  He should have known you'd want a change of scenary instead of that pile of money...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I think Lu will be highly motivated to show that he is the #1 choice for Team Canada in Sochi. The prospect of two straight gold medals is definitely a goal to strive for.  And for him to wearing that red jersey in February, he's going to have to put up solid numbers for the Canucks.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

I think Lu will be highly motivated to show that he is the #1 choice for Team Canada in Sochi. The prospect of two straight gold medals is definitely a goal to strive for.  And for him to wearing that red jersey in February, he's going to have to put up solid numbers for the Canucks.  

Despite all the trade/contract talk, still a very good goalie.

I think your right and he's highly motivated to prove he was the right choice all along for the Canucks. He's going to have a big year, but I think Price is in the net for Team Canada.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:[/QUOTE] I have no idea RHO.  I just chuckle at the notion of canning the agent for getting you that $64 million contract.  What a jerk.  He should have known you'd want a change of scenary instead of that pile of money...[/QUOTE]

And with this Lou will still go to the post-game interviews with that, why-does-everyone-pick-on-me look. The man is a tired act!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

San, can you blame him after all the malarky he went through with the GM in Vancouver? He got unfairly blamed for the SCF loss in my opinion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm high on the list of Canucks haters, and the fans in this town and the management of that franchise drive me batty, but even I have developped a decent amount of sympathy for Lou. He was thrown under the bus by both the fans and the franchise, and was then shopped around like a prize pony for two years, while handling the situation with a degree of respectability. The Canucks could have had both Schneider and Lou in the net at the same time and it likely wouldn't have changed the final outcome - if you can't score more than 8 goals in 7 games, you're not going to win no matter who is in between the pipes. Most of the fans in this town still refuse to recognize that simple fact and instead crap on Lou.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]
    I have no idea RHO.  I just chuckle at the notion of canning the agent for getting you that $64 million contract.  What a jerk.  He should have known you'd want a change of scenary instead of that pile of money...

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Lu found out that Lupien pulled an Eagleson & withheld information? I don't blame Luongo for any of this mess! This is all on Gillies. It started with making him the Captian & then allowed Luongo to take all the heat for the loss in the final! He had excuses for every other member of that team that kiefed the bed after the loss. Kesler, Bieska, Hamuis, the bottle fed sisters all walked out of that series unscathed. They have won a total of 1 play-off game in their last 10 . Luongo didn't start everyone of them. There's a lot more wrong with this team than it's goaltending! Now Gillies is blaming the media for making "more of this" than it actually was. The guy is an embarrassment & embarrassed others along the way. How the hell can anyone take this team seriously is beyond me. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Lu found out that Lupien pulled an Eagleson & withheld information? I don't blame Luongo for any of this mess! This is all on Gillies. It started with making him the Captian & then allowed Luongo to take all the heat for the loss in the final! He had excuses for every other member of that team that kiefed the bed after the loss. Kesler, Bieska, Hamuis, the bottle fed sisters all walked out of that series unscathed. They have won a total of 1 play-off game in their last 10 . Luongo didn't start everyone of them. There's a lot more wrong with this team than it's goaltending! Now Gillies is blaming the media for making "more of this" than it actually was. The guy is an embarrassment & embarrassed others along the way. How the hell can anyone take this team seriously is beyond me. 

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Hung his goaltender out to dry during/after the SCF and then dragged out the trade rumor mess, which he started.He even had Luongo pulled from practice ont he day of the trade deadline, when he was not traded and Lou had to hold a press conference. I'd be BS if I were him.  Funny, now Lou is going to play with a chip on his shoulders and Gillis will benefit from it and probably come out looking good when he should be exposed for the fool he is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Hung his goaltender out to dry during/after the SCF and then dragged out the trade rumor mess, which he started.He even had Luongo pulled from practice ont he day of the trade deadline, when he was not traded and Lou had to hold a press conference. I'd be BS if I were him.  Funny, now Lou is going to play with a chip on his shoulders and Gillis will benefit from it and probably come out looking good when he should be exposed for the fool he is.

[/QUOTE]

That's the digusting part Kel. Luongo still won't win! If he plays poorly, because he truly still wants out of this mess. It's going to be Luongo's fault because the Canucks gave him another chance to redeem himself & he failed. Or, Luongo helps the Canucks to another first place finish, is part of a Gold medal team again. Gillis will look like a genius & say. "I made the right choice. Look how smart I was!" Fawking pathetic!! I honestly hope Luongo doesn't show up for camp! Tells the organization to take a Fawk you pill & call me in the morning!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

San, can you blame him after all the malarky he went through with the GM in Vancouver? He got unfairly blamed for the SCF loss in my opinion.

He signed a contract and if he can't take the media up in Vancouver that is his problem. It all started with Roberta calling Thomas out for, in Lou's words, "coming out of his net too much". Then Loungo got upset becuase he felt the media covering the SCF were paying too much attention to Thomas.

If i'm Gillis, glad i'm not cause he is a terrible GM, I would go to Loungo and tell him "I tried to trade you and couldn't get what the Canucks though was good trade value". Now throw in Loungo firing his agent that got him a great contract...

Loungo needs to join Fluery in therapy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to lambda13's comment:

He signed a contract and if he can't take the media up in Vancouver that is his problem. It all started with Roberta calling Thomas out for, in Lou's words, "coming out of his net too much". Then Loungo got upset becuase he felt the media covering the SCF were paying too much attention to Thomas.

If i'm Gillis, glad i'm not cause he is a terrible GM, I would go to Loungo and tell him "I tried to trade you and couldn't get what the Canucks though was good trade value". Now throw in Loungo firing his agent that got him a great contract...

Loungo needs to join Fluery in therapy!

Haha. Your on to something here. We could get Luongo,Fleury,Thomas and Bryzgalov to sit down with Dr. Drew or Dr. Phil and put this on TV....Then, much like when shows dip in ratings we could follow suit and add another character like Scrappy-Doo, Oliver (Brady Bunch) Seven (Married With Children)...However we will be adding SoxFanInIl after the Bruins blow a third period lead to this group session. This is must see TV.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I have no idea RHO.  I just chuckle at the notion of canning the agent for getting you that $64 million contract.  What a jerk.  He should have known you'd want a change of scenary instead of that pile of money...

Luongo: Gilles, it's Roberto.  Listen, thanks for everything but I've decided to go in a different direction for my representation, okay? (Deep breath)

Lupien: Hi! Sorry I'm not home right now but if you leave a message I'll get back to you as soon as I can.  BEEP!

Luongo: Gilles, it's Roberto.  Listen, thanks for everything but I've decided to go in a different direction for my representation, okay? Thank you. Bye.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I'm high on the list of Canucks haters, and the fans in this town and the management of that franchise drive me batty, but even I have developped a decent amount of sympathy for Lou. He was thrown under the bus by both the fans and the franchise, and was then shopped around like a prize pony for two years, while handling the situation with a degree of respectability. The Canucks could have had both Schneider and Lou in the net at the same time and it likely wouldn't have changed the final outcome - if you can't score more than 8 goals in 7 games, you're not going to win no matter who is in between the pipes. Most of the fans in this town still refuse to recognize that simple fact and instead crap on Lou.

I remember you mentioning this a while ago, red.  Along with some Canuck conspiracy theorists masquerading as fans who still truly believe the fix was in against Vancouver in the final.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

49, have you heard anything regarding how Gillis has seemingly managed to dodge the ire of fans and the watchful glare of management for not only the Luongo situation but also for the Canucks' failure to progress to at least the degree they did in 2011? 

Prior to Brian Burke being fired just days after the end of the lockout, there was a lot of media talk about this past season being his make-or-break season.  Anything like that developing out there?