MacTavish new Edmonton GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: MacTavish new Edmonton GM

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Darren Dreiger was on TSN 1050's Drive Time program this afternoon.  He said the main reason Tambellini got fired was because all those top picks he made were not impactful enough to progress the Oilers further by now.  He also mentioned MacTavish being interested in players who are "willing to play with some presence." - Dreiger's words.

Also factor in a weak defence and mediocre goaltending and you have a bad team. Why Lowe,Tambellini and MacT couldn't see this is anybody's guess. Putting MacT in charge is like using dirty water to wash the clothes, its not going to do a very good job.New boss, same as the old boss.

Guess all that talent doesn't make a team, 50.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why does everyone think MacTavish is going to do such a bad job?  I don't know too much about the man's philosophies.  Isn't this his first crack at being a GM?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Why does everyone think MacTavish is going to do such a bad job?  I don't know too much about the man's philosophies.  Isn't this his first crack at being a GM?

I think it is just the backlash that comes with Mac being part of the "old boys club" that seem to run the Oilers.

Personally I think he will make a better GM than coach but that is just me....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It is, but there are a few things that make me sceptical above and beyond what jmw mentioned about the "old boys".

His opening statement about being bold sounds like what got him the job, but it also sounds like the same goofiness that came out of Buffalo when Pegula bought the team.  No more low-ball roster!  Big money, big prizes!  Not exactly the same, but categorically, the same promise to "make a splash" which almost always leads to a move that looks sound in the short term, that could be costly in the long term, and that could prove to be costly in all terms.  It sounds, as many have pointed out, like he's prepared to move one of their top young players and maybe their first pick to get more veteran presence, more physical presence.  It sounds a lot like the reason the Nords moved Sundin to the Leafs for Wendell Clark.  There's a reason Pierre Page works for Salzburg and not an NHL club.

MacTavish himself has a history of making emotional decisions.  He has admitted to having his relationships with players sour for personal reasons, and also knows that this affected his performance as a coach.  We've seen that kind of GM before - usually tells guys to go yodel - so I think there's a very good chance he makes at least a couple of moves that are of the "just get this beyatch out of here so I don't have to look at him anymore".  And maybe one of those moves frees up a good player kept lowe by a bad regime (see what I did there?!?!)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillsBruins. Show WillsBruins's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

It is, but there are a few things that make me sceptical above and beyond what jmw mentioned about the "old boys".

His opening statement about being bold sounds like what got him the job, but it also sounds like the same goofiness that came out of Buffalo when Pegula bought the team.  No more low-ball roster!  Big money, big prizes!  Not exactly the same, but categorically, the same promise to "make a splash" which almost always leads to a move that looks sound in the short term, that could be costly in the long term, and that could prove to be costly in all terms.  It sounds, as many have pointed out, like he's prepared to move one of their top young players and maybe their first pick to get more veteran presence, more physical presence.  It sounds a lot like the reason the Nords moved Sundin to the Leafs for Wendell Clark.  There's a reason Pierre Page works for Salzburg and not an NHL club.

MacTavish himself has a history of making emotional decisions.  He has admitted to having his relationships with players sour for personal reasons, and also knows that this affected his performance as a coach.  We've seen that kind of GM before - usually tells guys to go yodel - so I think there's a very good chance he makes at least a couple of moves that are of the "just get this beyatch out of here so I don't have to look at him anymore".  And maybe one of those moves frees up a good player kept lowe by a bad regime (see what I did there?!?!)

MacTavish also mentioned in the presser that he was so fortunate to have Howson there with his experience. Lowe added: Howson one of smartest hockey brains around...

I agree with a previous poster that Lowe has got to have something pretty dirty on Katz.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I have to like Mac, even if he scored on me in 1977 while with Lowell.  Yell

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Also factor in a weak defence and mediocre goaltending and you have a bad team. Why Lowe,Tambellini and MacT couldn't see this is anybody's guess. Putting MacT in charge is like using dirty water to wash the clothes, its not going to do a very good job.New boss, same as the old boss.

I always figured it was a conscious decision.  Let the team be bad, make the no-brains high-talent forward draft choices, and once a critical mass is reached sort them out.  Keep the ones you like, trade the others to address team needs like defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

I have to like Mac, even if he scored on me in 1977 while with Lowell.  Yell

You're not alone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Darren Dreiger was on TSN 1050's Drive Time program this afternoon.  He said the main reason Tambellini got fired was because all those top picks he made were not impactful enough to progress the Oilers further by now.  He also mentioned MacTavish being interested in players who are "willing to play with some presence." - Dreiger's words.

Nice "Who" reference there 50.

But i think the Oiler fans, won't get fooled again.

Not as long as their defense ends up Going Mobile.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

My Baba O'Reilly could do a better job than MacTavish.  Half their players should be in the AHL riding the Magic Bus. 

{This is too easy; we should stop now.  Though...there's a challenge in working in "Lowe, Reign O'er Me" somehow}