Making an example of

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Making an example of

Shannahan has to award suspensions as he sees it. Its never the first or second person, who does something illegal that gets a suspension. But when it starts to be a common occurrence then someone has to take the fall. In Marchand's case, he is the fall guy. He's done this thing before as well as others. So going forward, you can bet everyone else will have a hearing, when it happens again.

Its the nature of the new disciplinary committee.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: Making an example of

I was thinking this as well. At some point, the NHL needs to be able to react quickly to different scenarios and not wait until the off-season GM meetings and a whole slew of Player Rep approvals to enforce what they see as over-aggressive plays. Looking back and complaining that "the same hit example X from earlier in the season" doesn't really apply here.

I just wish Shanny would actually address this - just come out and say that yes, in the past similar hits have been unpunished. But this instance given Marchand's history and for similar situations moving forward, low hits with the intention of upending a player will be seen as unsportsmanlike and an intent to injure, and be up for review. Plain and simple. Acknowledge that it's been inconsistent ruling in the past, and set the bar of how it will be handled moving forward.

The NFL *just* went through this. They said overly aggressive hits would be penalized, and now they are making one ruling after another until the players and coaches can see where the bar is. It's a tough process, but everyone will get it eventually.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Making an example of:
    Shannahan has to award suspensions as he sees it. Its never the first or second person, who does something illegal that gets a suspension. But when it starts to be a common occurrence then someone has to take the fall. In Marchand's case, he is the fall guy. He's done this thing before as well as others. So going forward, you can bet everyone else will have a hearing, when it happens again. Its the nature of the new disciplinary committee.
    Posted by bgrif008

This is what I said in an earlier  post before the decision. If Marchand has to sit for this I hope that Ballard/Hamhuis are going to be watched as they throw these types of hits like evert game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Also, what about making an example of AV.

"Someday he’s going to get it. Somebody is going to say enough is enough and they’re going to hurt the kid because he plays to hurt players, and in my mind if the league doesn’t take care of it, somebody else will.”
    That quote is reprehensible to me. He should be fined or at least told that as a coach its not ok to say things like this. I dont think Julien even went that far when talking about Matt Cooke. Its just a classless clasless thing to say.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

ILH, I thought the NHL should also fine Vigneault.  Certainly in the NFL a coach or management would for making threats as "they're going to hurt the kid" woould be fined heavily.  Bettman should be making calls and fines.  What a media circus!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

I totally agree with the 5 games given to Marchand - and I would also fully expect any following hit of the same nature will also be suspended.
    And I also totally agree that AV should be fined for his outrageous comments.  The league cannot allow coaches to say things like that in the media!

Sections
Shortcuts