Malcolm Subban trade bait?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Malcolm Subban trade bait?

What can he bring you think. I know PC said he won't trade him but Tuukka closing in on a long term deal that might change.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Malcolm Subban trade bait?

I started a thread just yesterday lamenting the Bruins lack of goaltending depth at the moment, in particular who could be the Bruins third on the depth chart and who is going to play in Providence next year. With Khudobin and Hutchison gone and Svedberg likely getting a promotion we’re looking at Volden, who has yet to play a game in NA and only played 11 games last year, Morrison who had a sub .900 save percentage in the ECHL last year and close to a 4.00 GAA, Gothberg who will be playing a few more years at UND, and Subban. We’re in a position as it is that if Subban doesn’t make the jump from the OHL to the AHL next year (and I’m not even sure he’s age eligible) that we could end up having Morrison as our third stringer – gawd help us if Rask gets hurt.

So in other words – no, Subban isn’t trade bait.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Agree with Red here. Subban ain't going anywhere unless it is for a straight-up swap with brother PK coming the other way. In short, nope.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

the kid's 19, he'll be ready when Tuukka's next contract runs out....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Great point, Sman.  If Rask signs a six or seven year deal, Subban will certainly be on the block.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Great point, Sman.  If Rask signs a six or seven year deal, Subban will certainly be on the block.

Might be better to keep him in the system in case Rask craps out a few years into a long deal and needs to be moved (the Brygalov scenario)?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

True I was thinking u have to give up something to get something .  I will go back to the drawing board.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

To be fair Stinky, no one is untouchable if the right deal comes along....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

[QUOTE]

True I was thinking u have to give up something to get something .  I will go back to the drawing board.

[/QUOTE]

can't lose sight of the future for a quick fix....

i'm not as worried about Tuukka not being the real deal as i am of his past injuries rearing their ugly head....

you can never have enough good goalies in the system although we have no idea of how Malcolm's going to pan out....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If it's a six or seven year deal, Subban should be ready years before it ends.

As a first round pick, I would expect him to get into the NHL as a backup at 20 or 21 and be ready for full time duty as 23 or 24 at the latest. 

I'm sure the B's didn't spend a first round pick thinking they'd be getting a great gate opener.  I say Subban gets traded before he makes his NHL debut.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

we’re looking at Volden, who has yet to play a game in NA and only played 11 games last year.

Just learned Volden goes back into the draft, Bruins missed there chance to sign. From all indications didn't look like he was going to come over anyways.

What kind of return can you get for someone who hasn't played a minute in the AHL ? As of right now Morrison and Svedberg are it as far as AHL goaltenders. I don't see how you can trade him unless it's part of a bigger deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

As a first round pick, I would expect him to get into the NHL as a backup at 20 or 21 and be ready for full time duty as 23 or 24 at the latest. 

I'm sure the B's didn't spend a first round pick thinking they'd be getting a great gate opener.  I say Subban gets traded before he makes his NHL debut.

[/QUOTE]

Your idea certainly has merit but I would think they could better maximize his value by having him appear in an NHL game or two before trying to deal him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Might be better to keep him in the system in case Rask craps out a few years into a long deal and needs to be moved (the Brygalov scenario)?

I agree.  He might be traded in a couple years.  But I think it's possible Subban could become better than Rask.  And I would wait that out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hard to pinpoint a goalie's rate of development....  case in point TT, who was still developing when the B'S brought him over from Europe....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to mattc355's comment:

I agree.  He might be traded in a couple years.  But I think it's possible Subban could become bette than Rask.  And I would wait that out.

Yep....finding quality goaltending is hard enough, especially throught the draft.

I see a succession like this:

1. Rask

2. Svedberg

3. Subban

And, of course, there is the wildcard Volden in the mix should one falter.

Idealistic? Yes, but nice to have nonetheless.

Edit: Volden is gone....crap. Back to the drawingboard for me.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to mattc355's comment:

I agree.  He might be traded in a couple years.  But I think it's possible Subban could become bette than Rask.  And I would wait that out.

Yep....finding quality goaltending is hard enough, especially throught the draft.

I see a succession like this:

1. Rask

2. Svedberg

3. Subban

And, of course, there is the wildcard Volden in the mix should one falter.

Idealistic? Yes, but nice to have nonetheless.

Edit: Volden is gone....crap. Back to the drawingboard for me.....

See what I started 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Your idea certainly has merit but I would think they could better maximize his value by having him appear in an NHL game or two before trying to deal him.

I agree.  Having him sit in behind Rask for a year and then moving him with a year left on a contract (assuming he does well) would be fantastic.  Or, in a "what Vancouver should have done" approach, maybe Subban is even better than Rask by then and Rask gets moved.

Two things I'd hate to happen would be to have him waste quality years being a backup and to have him dealt at his lowest value (See:  Bernier).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree.  Having him sit in behind Rask for a year and then moving him with a year left on a contract (assuming he does well) would be fantastic.  Or, in a "what Vancouver should have done" approach, maybe Subban is even better than Rask by then and Rask gets moved.

Two things I'd hate to happen would be to have him waste quality years being a backup and to have him dealt at his lowest value (See:  Bernier).

[/QUOTE]

Either of the first 2 scenarios you mentioned would work for me. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Picture Brando in Apocalypse Now when you read this...

Volden was nothing.  He was a name on a roster on the internet signed to give the illusion of depth.

I'm not a fan of the highwire act with goalies.  It isn't a position where you have a problem, so you go out and sign a goalie as a free agent - simple.  Or trade for one.  There's a certain chemistry between goalie and team, and the risk of missing that chemistry with an FA who looked good elsewhere?  Not worth it.  There's no guarantee that Subban will  be an NHL starter, but right now the Bruins are only out a first round pick on him.  But because there's also no reason to believe he won't be an NHL starter, this is also probably the best time to deal him.  Two very good goalies with NHL experience moved in the last month, and the returns were a top 10 pick (also known as 40% of the return on Kessel), and an undrafted 26 year old backup goalie, a third line forward, and a second round pick.  You probably don't get a top 10 pick for Subban right now, because that's all about an organization still relying on a 40+ year old without an heir apparent, so maybe you get your first round pick back, and it's higher than the late rounder they used on Subban?  Meh.  I would much rather have some sense that, if Tuukka's hip becomes a problem, or if his back gives out, or if teams do manage to consistently find that spot over his shoulder that was a problem last year pre-lockout...I would rather know there are options that don't involve trying to pry someone else's goalie prospect away.

Are you not entertained?!?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

What can he bring you think. I know PC said he won't trade him but Tuukka closing in on a long term deal that might change.

I'd hold on to him to see how he develops along with Svedberg. Because even with Rask possibly signing long term, your a high ankle sprain away from trouble at the position.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Sign him for 5 million.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Sign him for 5 million.  

By the time he gets to the NHL that might be the league minimum....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

Sign him for 5 million.  

By the time he gets to the NHL that might be the league minimum....

[/QUOTE]

True enough.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Sign him for 5 million.  

Shupe, you're the best.  Never fail to make me laugh.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I'd hold on to him to see how he develops along with Svedberg. Because even with Rask possibly signing long term, your a high ankle sprain away from trouble at the position.[/QUOTE]

Defenitely and with a pretty good resume so far. Led the OHL in a few goalie stats, started for Canada at worlds and as Book mentioned you have already used a 1st round pick on him.

Develope the kid!

Sections
Shortcuts