Malcom Subban 7th overall in the AHL ..is the timing good for a trade ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Malcom Subban 7th overall in the AHL ..is the timing good for a trade ?

Please dont shoot the messanger ...I am just asking .....i am wondering if the timing wouldnt be perfect for a blockbuster trade....??

I dont know ...its a gambling , will Subban improve or has he reached his peak ??

Could we get an impact player for the playoffs if we include Subban in a package ????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: Malcom Subban 7th overall in the AHL ..is the timing good for a trade ?

And please no insults ...its just a question

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I don't understand your fascination with trades, rather than just cheering for the players that are actually on the team, but since I am on your thread, and you aren't being ridiculous, I will offer my opinion.

I would not offer Suban or (steady now), Spooner in a deal for a "rental" type of player, but would include one, or both for a player such as Giordano from Calgary, or Yandle from Phoenix.

Both have a couple of more years after this season at reasonable cap hits, and both are lefties like Seidenberg.

Aquiring either however, would probably mean having to trade Seidenberg next season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I dont see how you can call it a blockbuster trade even if it did happen. Subban is nowhere nhl calibre yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Subban has much more potential than Spooner.

Subban needs to finish out at very least this ahl and probably another before he's ready for prime time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Why trade Subban? Develop him, let him get some experience at the NHL level, assess your goaltending situation and then maybe look at it. Right now, he's a prospect and nothing more, anything brought back in trade wouldnt justify trading the first round pick. Nobody is going to give you enough to warrant it without seeing what he can do at the NHL level.

Wasn't long ago that the B's were fighting for playoff postioning with Marty Turco in net. I would assume this played a role in them picking Subban. I've seen him and think he has the tools to be one of the better goalies in the NHL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't understand your fascination with trades, rather than just cheering for the players that are actually on the team, but since I am on your thread, and you aren't being ridiculous, I will offer my opinion.

I would not offer Suban or (steady now), Spooner in a deal for a "rental" type of player, but would include one, or both for a player such as Giordano from Calgary, or Yandle from Phoenix.

Both have a couple of more years after this season at reasonable cap hits, and both are lefties like Seidenberg.

Aquiring either however, would probably mean having to trade Seidenberg next season.

[/QUOTE]

This is like a good company ...ex: Apple if you dont look continiously to improve your company , eventually you will sink....continuous improvment ...that how ai see it 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Stanley, why do the Bruins need a blockbuster trade?

Is there a problem in the dressing room? Some players not pulling their weight?

What are we missing?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

[QUOTE]

This is like a good company ...ex: Apple if you dont look continiously to improve your company , eventually you will sink....continuous improvment ...that how ai see it 

[/QUOTE]

and you will sink even faster by trading away your future for short-term gains....

so the kid the B'S drafted less than two years ago has already reached his peak....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Stanley, trades aren't the only way to improve your team. Developping your prospects is a huge part of it. What you're proposing is what the Leafs did with Tuukka Rask and, as usual for the Leafs, it blew up in their faces and now the Bruins are the team with an Olympic medalist in their crease.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stanley, trades aren't the only way to improve your team. Developping your prospects is a huge part of it. What you're proposing is what the Leafs did with Tuukka Rask and, as usual for the Leafs, it blew up in their faces and now the Bruins are the team with an Olympic medalist in their crease.

[/QUOTE]

Tuukka had reached his peak too....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I think PC has already said before that Subban is not trade bait. Svedberg would be more likely traded before Subban.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But, unless your real name is Chiarelli, isn't any trade talk, rather pointless?

I have been around on this site for 9 years, and I do not remember anyone coming up with a trade scenario, that actually happened.

My own player evaluations have been a little spotty over the years .I had Mike Moffatt & Cameron Mann pencilled in as the future of Boston. I remember cursing in 1979, when I was hoping for Brad McCrimmon with the 8th pick, and they took some french guy I had never heard of, named Ray, something or other. When they got Brad with the 15th pick, I remember thinking that at least it made up for them wasting their first pick.

I'm content with Chiarelli making the tough decisions. It is really a balancing act when you are GM of a Cup contender. You want to improve, going into the playoffs, but constantly dipping into your future by trading away young players & draft picks to aquire rental players, could handicap a team in the not too distant future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

2 words : CONTINUOUS IMPROVMENT

why not trading and improving our chances for another Stanley Cup !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Stanley, improvement can also happen in Provedence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I've seen Subban play acouple of times this year, it was two months in between and he lookedmuch more polished he scondtime. Still raw, b mn is he quick, especially is glove hand.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

First round goalies fail more often the not.

The timing is perfect to trade him. Waiting for him to develop is not such a good idea.........even though there are some proven 1st round goalies currently playing. 

Hopefully, the Bruins follow the Leafs model and end up with someone who ends up playing with the B's for years to come.

e.g. the Leafs acquistion of Andrew Raycroft for an unknown failed 1st round drafted goalie.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

[QUOTE]

Please dont shoot the messanger ...I am just asking .....i am wondering if the timing wouldnt be perfect for a blockbuster trade....??

I dont know ...its a gambling , will Subban improve or has he reached his peak ??

Could we get an impact player for the playoffs if we include Subban in a package ????

[/QUOTE]

Small History Lesson:

In 1969, the Bruis had 4 goalies in their system. Two NHL goalies, one in the minors, and one in college getting his law degree.

The expansion draft was coming and Harry Sinden and Milt Schmidt had decisions to make. They choose to keep Gerry Cheevers and Eddie Johnson, they exposed the kid in minors to the draft, and they "TRADED" the right to the kid getting his law degree.

1970: Cheevers and Johnson win the cup

1971: The kid graduates from Cornell and after 6 games in the minors get the call from  Montreal and beats the Bruins in 7 games. His name Ken Dryden

1972 Cheevers anmd Johnson win the Cup. Cheevers, Sanderson, Pie McKenize bolt to the WHA

1973 & 1974 The expansion Philadelphia Flyers lead by a goalie they got from the Bruins in the 1969 exansion draft win back to back cups, the goalie's name Bernie Parent.

Stanley, if you don't mind I don't want to live thru that experience again...........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to lostinbaltimore's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Small History Lesson:

In 1969, the Bruis had 4 goalies in their system. Two NHL goalies, one in the minors, and one in college getting his law degree.

The expansion draft was coming and Harry Sinden and Milt Schmidt had decisions to make. They choose to keep Gerry Cheevers and Eddie Johnson, they exposed the kid in minors to the draft, and they "TRADED" the right to the kid getting his law degree.

1970: Cheevers and Johnson win the cup

1971: The kid graduates from Cornell and after 6 games in the minors get the call from  Montreal and beats the Bruins in 7 games. His name Ken Dryden

1972 Cheevers anmd Johnson win the Cup. Cheevers, Sanderson, Pie McKenize bolt to the WHA

1973 & 1974 The expansion Philadelphia Flyers lead by a goalie they got from the Bruins in the 1969 exansion draft win back to back cups, the goalie's name Bernie Parent.

Stanley, if you don't mind I don't want to live thru that experience again...........

[/QUOTE]

Good post.

p.s. not a 1st rounder but did come back to haunt the Bruins , Bill Ranford

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good post.

[/QUOTE]

And lets not forget Percy Jackson who was flagrantly disregarded by the B's and sent to the Rags for Jean Pusie in 1934.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good post.

[/QUOTE]

And lets not forget Percy Jackson who was flagrantly disregarded by the B's and sent to the Rags for Jean Pusie in 1934.

[/QUOTE]

sorry 50+Below I'm not as old as you ; ))

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

First round goalies fail more often the not.

The timing is perfect to trade him. Waiting for him to develop is not such a good idea.........even though there are some proven 1st round goalies currently playing. 

Hopefully, the Bruins follow the Leafs model and end up with someone who ends up playing with the B's for years to come.

e.g. the Leafs acquistion of Andrew Raycroft for an unknown failed 1st round drafted goalie.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure he was even property of theirs long enough to be deemed a failure. From what I read, they wanted an NHL proven goalie (Raycroft) and valued Pogge higher than Rask.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, Legion, maybe we need to call him Grey Power (50+).

Is the timing good...well, you can take that a number of different ways.  Is his value high?  Probably not that high.  He has good stats in the AHL, but not as good as Svedberg's last year when he goalie of the year playing behind the same time - but with 1/3 of the D now in Boston.  A team that would pay a high value for him would probably want him to start in March in the NHL.  There are a lot of other options for a team looking to acquire a young starter who will play now rather than next year or in two years - John Gibson, for example, is just ahead of Subban in the A, and he's playing behind Hiller, Fasth, and Fred Andersen.  So no, I don't think you're going to make a huge trade around Subban right now.

From the Bruins perspective, I'd say no, the timing is not good in terms of Subban's development. Even if you only follow from a distance, it's pretty clear that his game has gotten better as the year has progressed, and that's the pattern you want to see. Experience + talent = development.  

There's also no pressure to deal Subban.  He's in year one.  They aren't going to lose him, or someone else, if they don't trade him.  If someone came along and asked for him in a deal that Chiarelli felt upgraded the blueline - not the depth but the top 4 - then sure, listen.

Sections
Shortcuts