Marc Savard's Name On The Cup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup

In Response to Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup:
    In Response to Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup : So then you dont expect him to be on the cup I take it? I mean would you want to take Konstantinov off the cup the season he was added by petition?
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I expect them to put his name there, but it doesn't mean I like it.

Yes, I am against Konstantinov's name added to the '98 team. (and I was a huge fan of his)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup : I expect them to put his name there, but it doesn't mean I like it. Yes, I am against Konstantinov's name added to the '98 team. (and I was a huge fan of his)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

well then your consistent, if you feel any better I am sure savard knows he has a ring, but hasnt won a cup..

I believe wheeler and stuart get their names on the cup as well though correct?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

You know, reading these forums has gotten a lot easier after ignoring Not-a-shot, seeing as he doesnt add anything to the convo, save for insulting everyone. 
    Posted by reuben4boston

Truth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

nite was right about the can of worms reference.  Both sides of the issue are valid.  As I said the league rules are clear and under them he doesn't qualify for inclusion on the Cup.  I, too, wondered about the development of the club minus Savard, arguably their top offensive player pre-concussion but I was thinking of it in terms of making their championship all the more accomplished. 

I'd imagine Savard was already aware of the 41 regular season/one game in the Finals rule once the B's hit the Finals.  If he's made an exception, great. If not it would be a shame but those are the rules. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup : I can think of a several good reasons to have his name on the cup. Many fans like it. The Bruins ownership\management hasn't come across as the kindler gentler bunch that the rest of the NHL has, this is a gesture which improves that image. With the salary cap, you have to do as much as you can to make the work environment better.  Not putting in your full number of hours, then getting dented on the shop floor and *still* getting the benny of having the cup for a day is a nice gesture toward the workers.  No, in and of itself it won't attract a free agent to sign with the Bruins, add together several such things and it may have that effect. What does it hurt? Who does it hurt? What bad can come of it? So why not do it?
    Posted by BadHabitude

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with NAS on most of the arguments on this thread.  I like Savard and it wont hurt my feelings to see his name on the Cup because of his awful situation, but:

-none of the things listed above have anything to do with FA's signing in Boston.  Kindler and gentler?
    -are we really calling multi-million dollar per year athletes "workers?"  Really?
    -Savard/players contributed to this Year's Cup in previous years?  While that might be true, EVERY team that wins the Cup can say that.  Now every team gets a handful of extra players on the Cup who "might" have contributed in previous years?
    -on the same line, the "only reason" he/Kampher didnt contribute was because of injury? Again, is this not true every year of someone?
    -Im also agreeing with the concept with if every team bends rules every year for something, everything gets cheapened. "What does it hurt?" doesnt work for me as an excuse to ignore rules you dont like.  Happens too often with laws for my taste.

Again, if he gets on, Ill be happy for him, but I havent read a real concrete reason here that I could argue behind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup : I hate to say it, but I have to agree with NAS on most of the arguments on this thread.  I like Savard and it wont hurt my feelings to see his name on the Cup because of his awful situation, but: -none of the things listed above have anything to do with FA's signing in Boston.  Kindler and gentler? -are we really calling multi-million dollar per year athletes "workers?"  Really? -Savard/players contributed to this Year's Cup in previous years?  While that might be true, EVERY team that wins the Cup can say that.  Now every team gets a handful of extra players on the Cup who "might" have contributed in previous years? -on the same line, the "only reason" he/Kampher didnt contribute was because of injury? Again, is this not true every year of someone? -Im also agreeing with the concept with if every team bends rules every year for something, everything gets cheapened. "What does it hurt?" doesnt work for me as an excuse to ignore rules you dont like.  Happens too often with laws for my taste. Again, if he gets on, Ill be happy for him, but I havent read a real concrete reason here that I could argue behind.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

NAS isnt entirely right though, the NHL makes exceptions for injuries, Savard is an injury correct? so why would he not belong on the cup.. Staff members get their names on the cup..

I don't really care either way, but I think saying no he doesnt belong on the cup is wrong, this is one of those cases I feel like, whatever the nhl decides, Fine..

Would Sarvard if healthy have been a key contributer to the team, certainly.. Is his injury the only reason he was unable to meet the standards required, definitely..

Would they have won the cup with him.. Probably not, but he does meet the exceptions if you ask me

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

25 games of contributing sweet f all...that's at least 10 fewer games than Ryder contributed SFA in the regular season.

There are a lot of players who were worse than Savard was this year who got their names on the cup because of the arbitrary 41 game rule.  Aren't there dozens of backup goalies, for example; guys like Chris Terreri who would have his name on there more than once.  If there's a problem with the rule it's that it's a fixed, arbitrary number or set of criteria that lets guys in. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

I know this isn't a post about what if . . . but if Savard was here,like NAS said, so many other people who were integral to winning the cup wouldn't have been here.(cap space etc). I think it takes the perfect storm to win the Cup and the Bruins had a Tsunami. Short of figuring out the "Butterfly Effect" of having Savard in the lineup,(who couldn't they afford etc.) would they have even won the cup without Peverly et al.?-probably not. I won't be unhappy if his name is on there because I like him as a player and there were times throughout the playoffs where I found myself saying: If savvy were here, they'd have a freakin' powerplay.But you know what- they didn't need it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Oh no! Please! Don't ignore me!  Please!  You and your six total posts are so important for me to have in my life!  Please don't do it! Why do people always feel the need to tell others that they're being ignored?  No one cares what you don't read.  No one cares what you do read. Edit for Chowda: Savard didn't do anything to get his name on the Cup!  (There, it's about hockey!  Smile, that was in jest.)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Edit NAS :You do lead the league in posters threatening to ignore you. Bruins8 is runnerup. Also in jest.

Hockey talk : I don't really care one way or the other about Savard and his name on the cup. As long as the Bruins won who cares !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

If Savard's contributions in previous seasons are going to be taken into account, I want a petition for Samsonov's name on there also.  No only did he play well for many years, he was also the part that went out when that second round pick (Lucic) came back.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS, Samsonov is still UFA to my knowledge... do you want him back with the Bruins?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup : Unless you're going to rally for Stanislav Chistov, a vaunted member of the '06-07 team, also to get his name on the Cup, what happened in previous seasons means nothing.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS? You have been one for Bitc@in about others reaching? This is a Van to Bos reach if I ever read one!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup : I expect them to put his name there, but it doesn't mean I like it. Yes, I am against Konstantinov's name added to the '98 team. (and I was a huge fan of his)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Man you really are a heartless bastar!! lol Seriously; I've said that in a joking way b4; but seriously you really are a heartless bastar!! For every rule there's exceptions! Just as laws that get broke a certain way for one doesn't mean the repricussions will be the same for another. This isn't a black & white world bud! No matter how much you want it to be! No matter how much you vote for it to be! As long as the earth rotates there always will be shades of grey!

NAS you're like one of those friends that you continually go out for beer with inspite of their attitude; but you always find yourself telling your friend off; but the minute someone else try's to harm your friend you're the first one to step in & help him; but only a part of you wants to save his behind; while the other part only wants to save it because they want to be the first one to KICK IT!!! GDAMIT you're dispicable sometimes!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Savard has been a major part of this team over the past 5 years to make it a respectable team. Last year he played the stupid requirement of 41 games then he came back and played in the playoffs when he was not even close to ready.

He then came back this year when once again he was not ready, it showed and he was put out again.

It may be the end of his career, noone really knows yet and that is not even part of what would be my consideration.

As a teammate, I would want his name on the cup, he earned it playing last year and this year despite injuries. He was getting paid no matter what and yet he still tried to compete. He has been a battling Bruin since he came and always the first to jump in to help a teammate out despite being in the smaller side of the players in the league.

This is not like he was a callup replacement who got hurt early in the season (Kampfer), he has been a huge part of this team and signed long term to be a BRUIN, as a teammate he has earned it and should be on it.

Pay no heed to NAS he is a Sav hater and if he could have his way, he would take Marchand's name off it as well.  Sorry NAS, but on this you are wrong, this is a sport and part of playing a sport is BEING a sport and the Sporting thing to do is put your TEAMMATES name on the cup, who would be playing if he was not injured. Sometimes you have to grow up and not always take the higher path just because it is being orneriness.

Have to go, may or may not see your replies if any, but this is the only way to go.

Konstan got his name on cup in 97, was no need for it in 98, but it was the sporting thing to do. I never much liked him as a player, but NAS and Pierre McG both liked him so that evens it out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The spirit of the "41 game rule", is to somehow limit the number of players who can get their name on the cup, who really "aren't normally considered by most, to be, or have been, a meaningful part of the team".
    I know...that's not a very good explanation, but if anyone can't get the jist of it....they only understand rules.  They don't understand the process of making rules, and overseeing fairness.  The "gray area", some are complaining about, isn't very complicated.
    Ted Green didn't play a single regular season game, or 1 playoff game in 69-70.  His name is on the cup, as a member of the 70 Bruins.
    The reason is simple.  Like Savard, he was a seasoned Bruin, and a probable Bruin moving forward.  The only reason he wasn't contributing, was because of serious injury. 
    Of course Savard's name will be on the cup. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsonov. Show samsonov's posts

3 reasons Marc should be on the cup!
    1) He has been a big part of the Neucleus of this team for some time! Helping to develop the young and middle aged talent in his own way!  He was even making phone calls in the playoffs discussing PP with Claude Julien!

2) Without His LTIR money we cant acquire Kaberle and Kelly!  Contirbutors to this Cup Victory! 

3) Marc will never play Professional Hockey again!  We cant control that!  What we can control is making sure that every headache he has from here on in will be softened by the knowledge that he retired a Stanley Cup Champion!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

I think this says it all

Question: What is the criteria for a player to get his name on the Stanley Cup?
    Answer: The Stanley Cup is the only trophy in pro sport that bears the names of players, coaches, management and staff from the winning teams.

Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible. Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game for the championship team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances.

Besides eligible players, the names of coaches, management and staff of the winning team are also engraved on the Cup.

It takes 13 years to fill a ring on the Stanley Cup. When a ring is full, an older ring is removed from near the top of the Cup and put on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Only one name has been added against the rules. When the Edmonton Oilers won their first championship in 1984, owner Peter Pocklington included his father's name - "Basil Pocklington" - among the names engraved. It was later scratched out with a series Xs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

My take is that is doesn't matter one flippin' bit what we all think. The only thing that matters is what the Bruins organization thinks, and they have gone out of their way to include him, have him at the parade, give him a day with the Cup and petition to get his name on there.

If it didn't matter to the Bruins, they wouldn't go to these lengths. But they have, so obviously it means something to them as an organization and to his 'mates to have him on there.

What else do we need to know?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup :  you're dispicable sometimes!!!
    Posted by nitemare-38

I'm dispicable (Daffy Duck?) and I'm heartless because I think they should follow the rules?

I'm positive that they're going to put his name on there, along with Kampfer.  I don't think they should.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I would not  feel good about having Savard's name on the Cup if :

In the past there were other LTI players, who's names were also omitted from the Cup.

If in fact there were other LTI players omitted and the Bruins petition was successful, then these other LTI players should also have their names included and the rule also should be changed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

In Response to Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup : I'm dispicable (Daffy Duck?) and I'm heartless because I think they should follow the rules? I'm positive that they're going to put his name on there, along with Kampfer.  I don't think they should.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Dispicable ======see==== Sedin Sister Dives !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Marc Savard's Name On The Cup : I'm dispicable (Daffy Duck?) and I'm heartless because I think they should follow the rules? I'm positive that they're going to put his name on there, along with Kampfer.  I don't think they should.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

No, you're despicable because you try so hard to be.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

I agree with NAS on this one......their are numerous players over the years that have helped teams develop, have been injured, traded at the deadline, etc that do not have their names on the Cup after their respective teams have won it that season!  Does Savard trump every other individual that has been in this same situation over the years, if so, why, cause he is a good player & a good guy?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

I don't know that kampfer finds his name on the cup, has there even been word that the bruins are petitioning to get it on?  He didn't make the qualifications cause he was too far down on the depth chart..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I agree with NAS on this one......their are numerous players over the years that have helped teams develop, have been injured, traded at the deadline, etc that do not have their names on the Cup after their respective teams have won it that season!  Does Savard trump every other individual that has been in this same situation over the years, if so, why, cause he is a good player & a good guy?
    Posted by yep123

Yes; you're absolutely right there are! Hence the reason the NHL finally saw that wasn't right; hence the reason they now allow petitions. The NHL got it right; but you; NAS & others live in a black & white world. They're are exceptions to rules; because things happen beyond others control.

So let me ask you. If you're speeding doing 10 mph over the limit; do you usually get pulled over? 99x out a 100 in 99% of the states you won't; but if you're doing 30 mph over the limit would you get pulled over? 99.9% of the time if a cop see's you you're going to get pulled over! Why? According you & NAS rules are rules & NEVER should get broken right? Speeding is speeding!

Now lets say you got clocked doing over 30mph the posted speed; BUT you were trying to out run a tornado & you were the only car on the highway? Do you think a cop would chase you; or do you think he'd be like..."If that idiot is crazy enough to try to outrun a tornado that can change direction at any giving moment! The best of luck to him!"

Savvy wasn't in the lineup because of an injury & had something happen that was beyond his control. Regardless of the fact he didn't contribute to the team winning is irrelevent. If he could've played he would've. He didn't sit out like Hnidy did. There's a huge difference here.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou. Show shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou's posts

I vote no. Kampfer, maybe. Savard, no. Sorry. 

He had little if any positive impact on the season. In fact, he was an anchor.

The thread forces it to be said.

Sections
Shortcuts