Marchand - 2 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Marchand - 2 games

One for the hit, one because nobody knows how to reel this kid in.  ShannyWorld at work. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Re: Marchand - 2 games

I say 4 or 5 games and deserved.

Could you imagine if NHL players started doing that everytime someone went to hit them? Imagine the injuries. Add that to the fact he has a history and I say the league will be harsh on him. Extremely dangerous play.

The bad thing is the guy is the teams best winger and one of the more skilled guys on the team. He don't need to be doing that stuff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Has anyone been suspended for clipping before?  Don't see it Shanny's suspension list.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=50596

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

no suspension ...not even a 2 minutes....give me a break

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

I agree that it is a very dangerous hit, but I don't think there is anything in the current rules that makes it a suspendable offense.  Dan Humhuis put an identical hit on Lucic in the Finals last year.  Not sure it should have been anything more than a 2 minutes under the current rules.

Whether the current rules should be changed is a whole other issue, but I think that would need to happen before a suspension is warranted.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

It would be 4-5 if it was on national TV, but only 2 since it wasn't.

Shanny, other teams, and some of his own teammates don't like the way he plays. I'm starting to wonder myself if he's going to clean up his act.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochesternybruinfan. Show rochesternybruinfan's posts

I Like Marchand but his antics are getting old....that move could really injure someone and is totally uncalled for..Bruin or no Bruin

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The B's should sit him for two games for such a stupid play in a game like today's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

One man's hip-check is another man's clip. It's kinda like Pronger hitting guys in the head because he is tall: Marchand is short, so when he goes down he goes very down. It's a matter of inches between spectacular hit and dirty play.  What made this one bad, in my mind, was mostly that Salo was moving backwards so it was completely unexpected. That said, you shouldn't move backwards into a scrum. Marchand took advantage of vulnerable player, but there is no rule against hitting someone as they skate backward toward you.  I honestly didn't even think it was a penalty or maybe a trip. I would say no suspension, but because it's Marchand and he just had that slew-foot fine, 2 games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

^^^ exactly

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Rule 44 - Clipping

44.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.

A player may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees.

An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player or goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees.

44.2 Minor Penalty - A player who commits these fouls will be assessed a minor penalty for “clipping.”

44.3 Major Penalty - If an injury occurs as a result of this “clipping” check, the player must be assessed a major penalty (see 44.5).

44.4 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by clipping.

44.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - A game misconduct penalty must be assessed anytime a major penalty is applied for injuring an opponent by clipping.

44.6 Fines and Suspensions – There are no specified fines or suspensions for clipping, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC8PR4b_wk4

IMO, this hit is above the knees.  Bad call, reaction to Salo going azz-over.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games:
    [QUOTE]The B's should sit him for two games for such a stupid play in a game like today's.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was going to say.  If the league doesn't give him anything, Julien should take it upon himself

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Not sure what game it was in the Finals but the same type hit was thrown on Lucic and nothing was called in Vancouver!!!!!!!!! Marchand is not tall so any time he tries to avoid getting plowed he looks like that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Exactly what I was going to say.  If the league doesn't give him anything, Julien should take it upon himself
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]

CJ didn't seem too happy with the call, he erupted on the officials.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]Rule 44 - Clipping 44.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent . A player may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees. An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player or goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees. 44.2 Minor Penalty - A player who commits these fouls will be assessed a minor penalty for “clipping.” 44.3 Major Penalty - If an injury occurs as a result of this “clipping” check, the player must be assessed a major penalty (see 44.5 ). 44.4 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by clipping. 44.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - A game misconduct penalty must be assessed anytime a major penalty is applied for injuring an opponent by clipping. 44.6 Fines and Suspensions – There are no specified fines or suspensions for clipping, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28 ). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC8PR4b_wk4 IMO, this hit is above the knees.  Bad call, reaction to Salo going azz-over.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Dirty hit regardless of what, if any, additional discipline Shanny decides on, IMO.  Predicting what he will do is a crapshoot at best, as we know!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

As you can imagine, the Canucks call the hit a "cheap-shot".   

Canuck general manager Mike Gillis was almost too angry to speak.

“You talk about unacceptable plays in hockey,” Gillis fumed. “That's clearly one. I'm not going to comment any further.”

“It's very, very cheap,” Canuck defenceman Kevin Bieksa said. “I can't think of a cheaper hit you can do on the ice. That and a slew-foot kind of go hand in hand. Twenty seconds before that, [Marchand] and Sami have a pretty good collision in the exact same spot. Sami probably gets the better of him. Then second time, Marchand comes back and loses his will and goes down low. A cheap shot from him, and I hope he gets a phone call from the league.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Vancouver+wins+game+loses+Salo+Canucks+furious+Marchand+cheap+shot/5962508/story.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]As you can imagine, the Canucks call the hit a "cheap-shot".    Canuck general manager Mike Gillis was almost too angry to speak. “You talk about unacceptable plays in hockey,” Gillis fumed. “That's clearly one. I'm not going to comment any further.” “It's very, very cheap,” Canuck defenceman Kevin Bieksa said. “I can't think of a cheaper hit you can do on the ice. That and a slew-foot kind of go hand in hand. Twenty seconds before that, [Marchand] and Sami have a pretty good collision in the exact same spot. Sami probably gets the better of him. Then second time, Marchand comes back and loses his will and goes down low. A cheap shot from him, and I hope he gets a phone call from the league.” http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Vancouver+wins+game+loses+Salo+Canucks+furious+Marchand+cheap+shot/5962508/story.html
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Both Gillis and Bieksa might want to take a look at Ballard's hit on Campbell with 8:44 left in the 2nd period, before flapping the gums too much.

It was a bad hit, but the Canucks taking such umbrage to it is laughable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The B's should sit him for two games for such a stupid play in a game like today's.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    The kid makes a hit that is within the rules by any of the definitions listed. You think he should be suspended because he offended your sensibilties. Once again, ridiculous.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Marchand - 2 games:
    [QUOTE]One for the hit, one because nobody knows how to reel this kid in.  ShannyWorld at work. 
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]
    I (and CJ apparently) don't want to reel in the team's top goal scorer. CJ already said the kid needs to play with an edge. Tell me the hit was below the knees and then I'll agree on the penalty but you can't so I won't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Marchand - 2 games : I (and CJ apparently) don't want to reel in the team's top goal scorer. CJ already said the kid needs to play with an edge. Tell me the hit was below the knees and then I'll agree on the penalty but you can't so I won't.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Dez you do realize you're debating with Marchand haters, don't you. No win situation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Based on the youtube video Dez provided above that was, in fact, a hit above the knees but just below the hip. So, yeah, it was borderline but no suspension should come of it.

Get ready for the faux Canuck fan outrage when both Marchand and Lucic are allowed to play the next B's game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Based on the youtube video Dez provided above that was, in fact, a hit above the knees but just below the hip. So, yeah, it was borderline but no suspension should come of it. Get ready for the faux Canuck fan outrage when both Marchand and Lucic are allowed to play the next B's game.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]
    Jay, I felt the Bruins unjustly lost their top 2 left wingers today. Both calls were questionable at best but them's the breaks. BTW, it was Crowls who provided the video evidence and rule clarification. I was just riding his coat-tails.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

Was there a rule change during the offseason that made this illegal? Am I nuts or did I see this happen like 15 times last year in the Stanley Cup Finals? The Canucks spent a grand total of 27 minutes on the power play. 27! The bruins didn't have 27 total penalty minutes. They had at least one player less on the ice than the Canucks did for 27 minutes. 
    P.S. Weiss is a p  u   s  s   y 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think there should be any suspension, or that he should have gotten 5 and a game.

But I still don't like the hit.  That lowbridgeing stuff is the calling card of Burrows and Lapierre type players.  It was one thing when Gionta was making a run at Marchand after the whistle against the boards.  In this case, Salo was making a hockey play and both guys were coming to a collision and trying to win the puck.  Take the hit, dodge the hit, whatever.  But to duck the hit at the last second, and send the guy flying through the air upside down, is bad form.  That's Canuck hockey, not Bruins hockey.  I'm no Marchand hater, but I didn't like the hit.

I didn't like the lowbridge that Ballard put on Campbell in the 2nd period either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Dez you do realize you're debating with Marchand haters, don't you. No win situation.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]
    He was one of the best players on the ice until he got tossed. The penalty was disputable but that fact isn't.

Sections
Shortcuts