Marchand - 2 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Marchand - 2 games

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games:
    [QUOTE]Simply stated, my reason for getting all over Marchand is this: I don't want him to play like a Vancouver Canuck.  Sometimes, he does.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

^That.  I'm not sure whether this is an illegal hit or not, but it sure is greasy.  And dangerous.  It's the stuff of Burrows.  You'd get your butt kicked for it in the men's league I play in.  Again, Ballard's was just as bad.  Bieksa and Gillis should stop crying about Marchand until they clean up their own house.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Just watch the replay. Salo tries to bury Marchand, Marchand plays the puck and ducks down; Salo goes A over and Marchand is assessed a non-penalty. Van Massinghoven has always tried to limit the bruins. There is no fair and equal perspective from him for the Bruins. Guess they make the game challenging.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : ^That.  I'm not sure whether this is an illegal hit or not, but it sure is greasy.  And dangerous.  It's the stuff of Burrows.  You'd get your butt kicked for it in the men's league I play in.  Again, Ballard's was just as bad.  Bieksa and Gillis should stop crying about Marchand until they clean up their own house.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Fletch, like I said before, you're asking Marchand to play within the rules and then some. Yes, it was borderline but there's a line between right and wrong for a reason. I had no problem when Marchand did it to Sedin in the finals and I had no problem with it yesterday. In agreement with CJ, I'd have a problem if Marchand simply absorbs these hits and gets concussed.

All I’m going to tell you is what I’ve always told my players, that they need to protect themselves,” Julien said. “The last thing I want my players to do is get hit and then end up with a concussion, and they have to protect themselves.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

GREAT PLAY BY MARCHAND! THAT'S HOW YOU PROTECT YOURSELF! THE WHOLE LEAGE HAS BEEN TAKEN RUNS AT MARCHAND THIS YEAR! BETTER A SMALL SUSPENSION THAN A CONCUSSION!

Lots of girlymen on this forum......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : ^That.  I'm not sure whether this is an illegal hit or not, but it sure is greasy.  And dangerous.  It's the stuff of Burrows.  You'd get your butt kicked for it in the men's league I play in.  Again, Ballard's was just as bad.  Bieksa and Gillis should stop crying about Marchand until they clean up their own house.

I agree with this, although the fact that he was giving the Canucks a taste of their own medicine makes it a bit more acceptable to me.  It's funny seeing them cry about this afterwards too.  Type in "Keith Ballard hip check" on Youtube and you will see a whole assortment of identical hits.  Dan Humhuis had a couple others besides the Lucic one as well.  I'm sure it's something Elaine goes over with them in practice. 

It will be funny if they cry to the league to crack down on such hits when they probably deliver more of them than the rest of the league combined.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ok,

I have to chime in on the pro-marchand side for a second.  Which leads me back into the "Leagues Fault" debate again.  What are players supposed to do?  Seriously?  Was it borderline?  100%.  Was it dirty or self preservation?  Combo plate if you ask me. 
    IF THE LEAGUE REFUSES TO DO SOMETHING THE PLAYERS HAVE TO!

So if Salo were to knock Marchand out with a concusion b/c we lose him. Survival of the fittest.  Next time I hope he elbows him in the mug as well. 

Grapes actually said something I pointed out a few weeks prior.  When you take the head hits out the kneeing comes back in.  And it has.  You take the kneeing out in the early 80's and the head hits come up.  There will always be something. 

Messier-Howe were masters of the elbow...and yes the gear was different but the message was the same.  Take a run at me and get and elbow sandwich.  They didnt get run much after that.

So do I support Brads actions?  Not really.  But if it has to be one or the other I want Brad playing. 

PS...I hate Vancouver.  Like a lot. Bieksa and his stupid remarks. Yeah you are the better team tough guy.  I hope they meet in the finals again.  I do.  Its just a shame we only get one crack at the Swiss National Team. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Fletch, like I said before, you're asking Marchand to play within the rules and then some. Yes, it was borderline but there's a line between right and wrong for a reason. I had no problem when Marchand did it to Sedin in the finals and I had no problem with it yesterday. In agreement with CJ, I'd have a problem if Marchand simply absorbs these hits and gets concussed. All I’m going to tell you is what I’ve always told my players, that they need to protect themselves,” Julien said. “The last thing I want my players to do is get hit and then end up with a concussion, and they have to protect themselves.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I had no problem with Marchand doing that to Sedin or Gionta last year, because in both cases the play was dead and they were taking a run at him, into the boards.  In this case, it was a hockey play and Salo was trying throw a legal check on him, just like we would want our players to do.  I thought that Marchand should either take the hit, or dodge the hit, instead of doing what he did.  It seemed cheap to me.

I don't know exactly what Julien is talking about with concussions and all that.  Salo is not exactly a thug, and while I'm sure he was trying to hammer Marchand, I don't think Marchand was in some great danger situation where he had to desperately protect himself.  Guys try to line him up all the time and sometimes he has to take a hit to move the puck.

I don't think Ballard's was any better.  He had every opportunity to take the body and he dove down to the ground instead to lowbridge Campbell.  I think the most consistent position is to say both hits were cheap and unnecessary.  Just my opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : I had no problem with Marchand doing that to Sedin or Gionta last year, because in both cases the play was dead and they were taking a run at him, into the boards.  In this case, it was a hockey play and Salo was trying throw a legal check on him, just like we would want our players to do.  I thought that Marchand should either take the hit, or dodge the hit, instead of doing what he did.  It seemed cheap to me. I don't know exactly what Julien is talking about with concussions and all that.  Salo is not exactly a thug, and while I'm sure he was trying to hammer Marchand, I don't think Marchand was in some great danger situation where he had to desperately protect himself.  Guys try to line him up all the time and sometimes he has to take a hit to move the puck. I don't think Ballard's was any better.  He had every opportunity to take the body and he dove down to the ground instead to lowbridge Campbell.  I think the most consistent position is to say both hits were cheap and unnecessary.  Just my opinion.
    Respected as always but I just don't agree. I just thought Marchand took advantage of Salo coming in lax on the play. He just thought he'd float in backwards and crush the little man while picking up the puck and scoping his options......doo dee doo. Salo was going in with the intention of using his size to his advantage and Marchand took that advantage away from him. I blame the injury on Salo acting like it's Sunday on the pond. Game on!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Respected as always but I just don't agree. I just thought Marchand took advantage of Salo coming in lax on the play. He just thought he'd float in backwards and crush the little man while picking up the puck and scoping his options......doo dee doo. Salo was going in with the intention of using his size to his advantage and Marchand took that advantage away from him. I blame the injury on Salo acting like it's Sunday on the pond. Game on!
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

It was odd the way he turned around and came in backwards, I'll give you that.  reminded of Subban's hit on Marchand.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbbfan40. Show bbbfan40's posts

[QUOTE]Marchand is an embarrassment ot the Bruin Jersey! Get rid of him while he has some value. We dont need a rat, a chicken, a fake Bruin like this on the team. ANd to hit a player of Salo's class and seniority shows even more disrespect for the GAme and the Bruin culture.
    Posted by phildageek[/QUOTE]
    So you're saying a player should factor a another player's class and seniority into whether or not he should hit a guy. Wow! Where did you play hockey? In the local girl's club?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : It was odd the way he turned around and came in backwards, I'll give you that.  reminded of Subban's hit on Marchand.
    Or the hit that took out Shea Weber.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/12/27/weber_concussed/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

idk, I saw the play live and I really don't think it deserved a 2 game suspension. It seemed like he was just trying to get out of the way and the guy went over the top of him. Again, I don't pretend to know to much about hockey law but it really didn't seems that dirty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Did he low-bridge him? Yes. Does Brad like to duck when a guy wants to line him up to destroy him into the boards? Yes. Can you blame him? No. Take this into account. Brad has watched Savard get turned into a ghost and knows all too well probabably through conversations with Bergeron, the long time it takes to come back from concussions. He also saw Horton get flattened out of a series too. Second-year NHL player is impressionable from watching his own teammates get their brains splattered. If he's protecting himself as a little guy, I can't blame him. I wouldn't change a single thing about his approach to hockey. Linseman was one of the great speedy mudrakers too, and he had pretty damn good NHL career.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Someone who passes judgement on the collision between Marchand and Salo should look at the entire shift.

Ten seconds before the hit, Salo and Marchand went shoulder to shoulder at the same part of the boards. Both players were in equal position relative to the puck, and both players had a equal chance at preparing for the contact.

The later hit had different circumstances. Marchand was closer to the puck, and somehat behind Salo. Marchand could see Salo coming with his elbows up, and Salo could see that Marchand was somewhat vulnerable.

Marchand could not play the puck and Salo at the same time - he would have been creamed. Marchand did what would have saved him from being creamed. He lowered himself to save his neck from a big guy coming at him for one reason only - to remove his head from his body; he did not clip at the knees.

Marchand is no fool in this situation.

Would we have preferred Marchand being out with a concussion instead if he had stayed up? Not me.

Salo is a big boy. He should know a little guy will do what he can to protect himself against a big boy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

[QUOTE]One man's hip-check is another man's clip. It's kinda like Pronger hitting guys in the head because he is tall: Marchand is short, so when he goes down he goes very down. It's a matter of inches between spectacular hit and dirty play.  What made this one bad, in my mind, was mostly that Salo was moving backwards so it was completely unexpected. That said, you shouldn't move backwards into a scrum. Marchand took advantage of vulnerable player, but there is no rule against hitting someone as they skate backward toward you.  I honestly didn't even think it was a penalty or maybe a trip. I would say no suspension, but because it's Marchand and he just had that slew-foot fine, 2 games.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Ditto on that buddy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I'm not seeing the clipping in relation to an opposing player's knees.

If there was a suspension, I would request the league tell me exactly what he's supposed to do in that circumstance.  The player is basically charging him, and he's evading him with a hip check with a very low center of gravity.

Now that I type that, I think as a ref I'd feel OK with an interference penalty, as if Marchand is determined as the player in possession of the puck and someone is trying to hit him, Marchands action *could* (maybe) be considered hitting a player without the puck.

Clipping? Dont see it. Dangerous? I dunno.  MCQuaid charged a guy from Philly a year ago and ran his own head into the boards when the player dodged him. Marchand can dodge but not throw the hip due to non possession of the puck?  Thats the best I can come up with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think BM has a situation to react & he did. I don't think there should be any suspension, because BM's intent is more getting out of the way then flipping Salo. His height is what made it look a lot worse than what it actually was. The refs were out to protect the Canucks yesterday. That's whats more maddening than anything that the B's did! Never seen such a bunch of wusses in my entire life & are a travestry to the game the way they behave!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

More reaction from the Canucks, absolutely comical.

Dan Hamhuis:
    “It was dirty,” defenceman Dan Hamhuis added. “It was an easy shoulder to shoulder hit and the guy ducked out of the way, and that's how people get hurt. It was a dangerous play and a dirty play. You like to see hard hockey and good hits. But when you see stuff like that, it's unfortunate. It's disrespectful.”

Alain Vigneault on CJ's comments:

"That's a stupid comment," he said Sunday. "What Marchant did, you could end a player's career doing that. I've never seen Sami Salo take a run at any player in the NHL.

Alain Vigneault on Marchand:

"Marchand -- and this is just my feeling -- but someday he's going to get it. Someday, someone's going to say 'enough is enough' and they're going to hurt the kid because he plays to hurt players. And if the league doesn't care, somebody else will."

Does Dan Hamhuis not remember getting injured on a low-bridge hit on Lucic in the SCF?

Does Alain Vigneault not realize that Maxim Lapierre, Alex Burrows and Keith Ballard play on his team?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Sami+Salo+play+Florida+Panthers+after+suffering+Marchand/5964169/story.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

What people seem to be forgetting is how dangerous this type of hit can be. Regardless whether it is Marchand, Keith Ballard or whomever the league needs to nip this type of hit defence/avoidance in the bud.

Can you imagine how many injuries there will be if hits like Marchand go unpunished? If guys start doing this everytime someone goes to throw a hit on them we will see concussions, mcl's, acl's and other injuries go up. Just look how Salo landed and how he had very little control over the landing. If Bieska done this to a Bruin we would be in an outcry.

I like Marchand as a player and he is extremely talented but I hate when he does cheap stuff like he done yesterday regardless of what team he plays for. Ballard's was cheap too. The league needs to stop this low bridge stuff before it gets out of hand. I say 4 or 5 games for Marchand considering he has a history and has already done stupid things in the past and has completed this type of hit in the past.

He has to be held accountable for this behaviour and if the league don't do it the Bruins brass should. Like it or not Marchand is heading down a path the likes of Matt Cooke and other similar players who play on the edge. The hit was not okay & I bet Shanahan will feel the same.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Marchand to meet with Shanahan tomorrow.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610655

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Newf, if Marchand hadn't done what he did, we could be talking about what a shame that Marchand has a concussion.

Why does the one making the hit have to have all the rights?

If someone is going to throw a hit, he better have his wits about him because what Marchand did was not against the rules, far from it.

Salo was out to do damage, Marchand protected himself the only way he could in that situation. Salo got hurt - too bad. Next time he'll think twice.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Fluto is reporting that it's a coference call, so if there's a supension it will be less than 5 games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

[QUOTE]Newf, if Marchand hadn't done what he did, we could be talking about what a shame that Marchand has a concussion. Why does the one making the hit have to have all the rights? If someone is going to throw a hit, he better have his wits about him because what Marchand did was not against the rules, far from it. Salo was out to do damage, Marchand protected himself the only way he could in that situation. Salo got hurt - too bad. Next time he'll think twice.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I disagree Wheatskins. Hockey is a physical game and physical contact is expected by all in the game. When 2 guys are heading toward each other they are both expecting physical contact. I would have much rather Marchand to take the hit or better yet shoulder  to shoulder. That is hockey.

But when you duck out of the way like that to avoid the hit then you put that other unexpecting player (Salo) in a very vulnerable position with very little control over the landing.

I really hope Marchand matures because he is a very good player. I just feel that he is heading down the wrong road with some of this stuff and will eventually be handed his lunch or some other skilled Bruin will be handed there lunch because of something cheap Marchand has done.

I didn`t like it and felt it was very dirty. To say he was trying to avoid a possible concussion is a reach as there is hitting in hockey and all players have to be able to handle the physical side of the game. Sami Salo is not known as a dirty player.

Also getting lost in the hit is the fact that Marchand really hurt his team in that scenerio and really put them behind the 8 ball when they appeared to be gaining momentum.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Newf, I usually agree with you, but not in this case.

Salo, was out to do damage. Look at the replay. Marchand knew he was vulnerable - and you can see it.

Under normal circumstances, yes you would be correct.