Marchand - 2 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Marchand - 2 games

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games:
    In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : I had no problem with Marchand doing that to Sedin or Gionta last year, because in both cases the play was dead and they were taking a run at him, into the boards.  In this case, it was a hockey play and Salo was trying throw a legal check on him, just like we would want our players to do.  I thought that Marchand should either take the hit, or dodge the hit, instead of doing what he did.  It seemed cheap to me. I don't know exactly what Julien is talking about with concussions and all that.  Salo is not exactly a thug, and while I'm sure he was trying to hammer Marchand, I don't think Marchand was in some great danger situation where he had to desperately protect himself.  Guys try to line him up all the time and sometimes he has to take a hit to move the puck. I don't think Ballard's was any better.  He had every opportunity to take the body and he dove down to the ground instead to lowbridge Campbell.  I think the most consistent position is to say both hits were cheap and unnecessary.  Just my opinion.
    Posted by Fletcher1
    I think Julien was saying that he'd rather see his player do this, than turn his back on the oncoming player to try to draw a boarding penalty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Having reviewed the play again I am now certain it shouldn't have been a penalty and wont' be a suspension. Marchand's back lifted Salo up and over by Salo's but/upperlegs. At first I was thinking it was maybe a slightly bad hit, now I feel strongly that it was a good, clean hockey check. If Marchand is suspended it's for reputation, and that will really disappoint me.
    Posted by OatesCam

It remains interference (2mins) because Salo does not have the puck . This is where it's different form the Ballard, Hamhuis (still dirty though hitting the knees these 2 ) BUT not Raymond's hit on Marchand , he did not have the puck.
    GO see the other thread and what was sent to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : I think Julien was saying that he'd rather see his player do this, than turn his back on the oncoming player to try to draw a boarding penalty.
    Posted by DrCC

My take on what Julien said regarding concussions was that a player 6'3" coming in to hit a 5'9" player would have obvious results for the smaller player. Protect yourself  and that's what happened. And he did it within the rules.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

after the bruins were penalized for coming to their teammates aid (6 guys jumping thornton), it was clear to the bruins that the refs were there to protect the nucks, and babysit the bruins. i doubt marchand is even 5'9, when a short guy hip checks this is how it looks. just as chara's hip check hits you in the chest, marchands hits you in the thigh. the thing that bothers me is this same exact hit has happened numerous times in the recent past(including this very game), and has NEVER been called as much as a penalty. let alone match penalty and possible suspensions. has anyone heard a single explanation for why the bruins were assessed  2 extra penalties, when 4 or 5 canucks should have kicked out of the game for being the 3,4,5,6 man into a fight? 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

The B's should sit him for two games for such a stupid play in a game like today's.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Julien supported the hit so not likely.

You call it stupid, lots of other Bs fans calling it protecting oneself, others call it suspendable given that the Bs appear to be getting less harsh treatment.

Was the slew foot worse than this?

If Marchand doesn't duck the hit, he takes a hard hit in a compromising position. If Salo was playing the puck, he would have been by the boards not going after Marchand. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Having reviewed the play again I am now certain it shouldn't have been a penalty and wont' be a suspension. Marchand's back lifted Salo up and over by Salo's but/upperlegs. At first I was thinking it was maybe a slightly bad hit, now I feel strongly that it was a good, clean hockey check. If Marchand is suspended it's for reputation, and that will really disappoint me.
    Posted by OatesCam

Oates, I've been saying the exact same thing since the hit took place.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I've rewatched a bunch now... I've come closer to dez's line of thinking. Still a dangerous hit due to the location on the ice, but not a clip. Could be a suspension still if Shanny figures there's intent to injure, but no clip.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I've rewatched a bunch now... I've come closer to dez's line of thinking. Still a dangerous hit due to the location on the ice, but not a clip. Could be a suspension still if Shanny figures there's intent to injure, but no clip.
    Posted by red75

Feels wierd doesn't it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Feels wierd doesn't it?
    Posted by dezaruchi

Like I've suddenly lost half of my IQ points.

;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Like I've suddenly lost half of my IQ points. ;)
    Posted by red75

Imagine how I feel. I think like this all the time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

5 games.  Looking forward to the analysis.  It had better include "hits like this will be punished from now on".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

IQ points ha, Red you are fine there, but I like to think hockey should be played a certain way.  I am not always aware of the detail of the rules.  I am sure I know when a play looks like "dirty" or beyond what professionals should deem as necessary play. I like to believe in integrity, I also like hockey cause it is on the edge.  Marchand was on the edge, but his integrity will be questioned.  I loved PCs remarks today to the Canuck homers ala Vigneault etc.  Smart GM stuff there!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

5 games.  Looking forward to the analysis.  It had better include "hits like this will be punished from now on".
    Posted by DrCC

That's brutal. I can't wait to hear Shanny explain what specifically Marchand did to break the rules. I blame Ference's comments last week for the length of this suspension.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I expected a 2 - 3 games and he gets 5.  I expected him to get 1 game for the slew-foot and he got nothing (except a fine). 

I am going to stop guessing what Shanny's gonna do from now on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : That's brutal. I can't wait to hear Shanny explain what specifically Marchand did to break the rules. I blame Ference's comments last week for the length of this suspension.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I hope he also shows us the videos of the nucks hits on our players that were the same hits and explains why those weren't suspendable offences compaired to what marchand did.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I expected a 2 - 3 games and he gets 5.  I expected him to get 1 game for the slew-foot and he got nothing (except a fine).  I am going to stop guessing what Shanny's gonna do from now on.
    Posted by jalvis

Marchand and PC should've just shown up and played this "hit".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmSiIsz74I

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

There is a cetain part of my thinking that believes this ruling will be good for Marchand and his career.  The other part of the thinking is the Canucks have undo influence on the NHL! Shanahan now has to prove he will pass judgement on other like and similar plays in the future, espcecially in the playoffs (Hamhuis on Lucic).  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

There is a cetain part of my thinking that believes this ruling will be good for Marchand and his career.  The other part of the thinking is the Canucks have undo influence on the NHL! Shanahan now has to prove he will pass judgement on other like and similar plays in the future, espcecially in the playoffs (Hamhuis on Lucic).  
    Posted by islamorada

The length of this suspension makes me think that Shanny is finally serious about getting rid of all hits that carry a high probability of injury:

-Lowbridge "clips"
    -Hits from behind
    -Blindside hits w/head as primary point of contact

I think there are still many, many hits that players can make during the course of the game that still serve a purpose from a hockey perspective, and will keep fans coming back.  I hope so anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : The length of this suspension makes me think that Shanny is finally serious about getting rid of all hits that carry a high probability of injury: -Lowbridge "clips" -Hits from behind -Blindside hits w/head as primary point of contact I think there are still many, many hits that players can make during the course of the game that still serve a purpose from a hockey perspective, and will keep fans coming back.  I hope so anyway.
    Posted by hangnail

Suspending Torres 10 games for last weeks antics would've sent the same message but he gives him 2 instead. Who's more likely to seriously injure someone over the course of the season, Torres or Marchand?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Posted by islamorada

I don't know about the Canucks influence, but agree about Marchand.  Maybe he'll be more cautious in the future, and make sure he only does it when it is clearly defensive.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Suspending Torres 10 games for last weeks antics would've sent the same message but he gives him 2 instead. Who's more likely to seriously injure someone over the course of the season, Torres or Marchand?
    Posted by dezaruchi

Good point dez.  I didn't see any of Torres' hits last week, only read about them here. You're right though, Shanny is in the middle of a sh!tstorm and doesn't know which way to turn to get out of it.  Someday he's going to have to find some consistency.  I hope this is the beginning.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Hangnail, I would agree that Shanahan is getting serious.  To this fan going backwards to the "clutch and grab" era to slow down the game is plain dumb.  Trap hockey is boring and not skill orientated.  So, Shannahan must met out decisions that will change the "behavior" of players who are charging, boarding, spearing (Burrows on Paille then Thorton in the last game) and yes clipping as now defined. Was it Marchand that prompted the change or was it part of his plan to modify the rules is my question? I still think Vancouver had undo media influence on the decison.  PCs conference/commentary today was to address that fact imo.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Hangnail, I would agree that Shanahan is getting serious.  To this fan going backwards to the "clutch and grab" era to slow down the game is plain dumb.  Trap hockey is boring and not skill orientated.  So, Shannahan must met out decisions that will change the "behavior" of players who are charging, boarding, spearing (Burrows on Paille then Thorton in the last game) and yes clipping as now defined. Was it Marchand that prompted the change or was it part of his plan to modify the rules is my question? I still think Vancouver had undo media influence on the decison.  PCs conference/commentary today was to address that fact imo.  
    Posted by islamorada

That's a good question isla and I think Shanny called an audible with today's ruling.  I guess he's trying to creat the guidelines as he goes along.  Not ideal, but that's what he's doing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Good point dez.  I didn't see any of Torres' hits last week, only read about them here. You're right though, Shanny is in the middle of a sh!tstorm and doesn't know which way to turn to get out of it.  Someday he's going to have to find some consistency.  I hope this is the beginning.
    Posted by hangnail

It's just that Torres was involved in 3 incidents and gets 2 games. Add in the fact he had a 4 game suspension to end last season and Torres is living a charmed (and dirty) life. It just seems as if Shanny's all over the place right now although I did predict he'd throw the book at the next Bruin before him after the Ference comments last week.

Sections
Shortcuts