Marchand "regrets" mocking Maple Leafs with golf swing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Re: Marchand "regrets" mocking Maple Leafs with golf swing

In Response to Re: Marchand "regrets" mocking Maple Leafs with golf swing:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand "regrets" mocking Maple Leafs with golf swing : Exactly, I dont like when they do it.  I dont like when our guy does it. And MeanE, I wanna list of these athletes.  And I am not talking Baseball or Basketball.  I want Hockey.  In the top 50 of all time I wanna know who these trash talking, dirty, diving, suspended players are?  Especially as rookies.  If Marchand played in the 70-80's he would be skating funny. Playing hard, playing with edge, playing between the whistles.  Marchand is not a fighter.  Someone will eventually get him one way or the other.  Is it a coincidence that the Bruins are the toughest team in hockey? 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

You might not have been talking baseball or basketball or any other sport, but I was.  Do you consider Gordie Howe one of the greatest?  How about Espo?  How about Ovechkin?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Gordie Howe was one of the most feared fighters in the league. 
    Messier would have torn Marchand a new one.  You don't embarass another team and in the process your own jersey. 

Anyone can chirp in basketball...and I watched a show on the Fab5 and how they turned trash talking into an art form.  Sure Jordan was the king of trash.  But he didnt have to fight Shaq either.  Baseball is hardly a sport...

And he can play the same style and do it between the whistles.  Why all the extra stuff.  Do you like those types of players?  Just asking?  I mean some guys like that type.  I personally don't.  Do I like his skill and energy?  Yes I do b/c it is contagious.  But I dont like all the crap he has been doing all year in terms of diving, dirty play and suspensions.  It screams PK and Lapierre and I cant stand those types. 

Marchand like I said likely doesnt do this unless he has the gorilla squad backing him.  All I want is for him to play hard and shut his mouth after the whistle. Its garbage and always will be. Its the same garbage in our can as it is in Montreal can. Garbage is garbage

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from north1234. Show north1234's posts

he is a real spark plug...awesome hard worker...lucky to have him develop like he has..intimidation is just part of his game...golf swing...big deal....the truth hurts lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]Gordie Howe was one of the most feared fighters in the league.  Messier would have torn Marchand a new one.  You don't embarass another team and in the process your own jersey.  Anyone can chirp in basketball...and I watched a show on the Fab5 and how they turned trash talking into an art form.  Sure Jordan was the king of trash.  But he didnt have to fight Shaq either.  Baseball is hardly a sport... And he can play the same style and do it between the whistles.  Why all the extra stuff.  Do you like those types of players?  Just asking?  I mean some guys like that type.  I personally don't.  Do I like his skill and energy?  Yes I do b/c it is contagious.  But I dont like all the crap he has been doing all year in terms of diving, dirty play and suspensions.  It screams PK and Lapierre and I cant stand those types.  Marchand like I said likely doesnt do this unless he has the gorilla squad backing him.  All I want is for him to play hard and shut his mouth after the whistle. Its garbage and always will be. Its the same garbage in our can as it is in Montreal can. Garbage is garbage

Just because Gordie may or may not have been a feared fighter, has nothing to do with "chirping".  Does PK have a Gorilla squad to back him up?  Marchand and the young pests plays the way they play regardless of who they have backing them up, they have no fear.  He has the NHL rulebook that backs him up.  All I want him to do, is to keep doing what he is doing, if someone doesn't like it, do something about it.  It's simple!  If you want to take the "hockey purest" approach, that's your right.  I choose to like his type, especially when they are on the Bruins!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

The thing is, most everyone wants him to stop, but thats the game he brings and it has gotten him this far and he is producing. I dont want him to change a thing. He's not a dirty player at all. Just got unlucky in the Blue Jackets game. I think he plays hard and keeps it within the limits of the rules.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

The facts: All people make mistakes. This kid (22 or 23?) admitted that his actions were innapropriate and amounted to a mistake and then told the public of his punishment (from CJ). He says it was "stupid" and "won't happen again." He was upfront and honest about the situation. He took responsibility

My interpretation: Marchand gets it. He's trying to change his style of play, which will be a progression. I respect that he owns up to his mistakes and that he's willing to listen to his superiors and change his style when needed. Not everyone is a Bergeron, but at least Marchand is trying to clean up his game.

Aside: I wonder if Subban would be doing the same if he was surrounded by guys like Bergeron, Recchi, Thornton, Chara, etc. If you don't think so, then you have to credit Marchand for a willingness to accept fault and change. If you do, you have to credit the team. Either way, I'm disappointed this incident happened but impressed with how it was handled by all parties involved.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]The facts: All people make mistakes. This kid (22 or 23?) admitted that his actions were innapropriate and amounted to a mistake and then told the public of his punishment (from CJ). He says it was "stupid" and "won't happen again." He was upfront and honest about the situation. He took responsibility My interpretation: Marchand gets it. He's trying to change his style of play, which will be a progression. I respect that he owns up to his mistakes and that he's willing to listen to his superiors and change his style when needed. Not everyone is a Bergeron, but at least Marchand is trying to clean up his game. Aside: I wonder if Subban would be doing the same if he was surrounded by guys like Bergeron, Recchi, Thornton, Chara, etc. If you don't think so, then you have to credit Marchand for a willingness to accept fault and change. If you do, you have to credit the team. Either way, I'm disappointed this incident happened but impressed with how it was handled by all parties involved.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

^^^ Agreed 100%

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand "regrets" mocking Maple Leafs with golf swing : But that doesnt prove your point. Your saying Marchand's Rep will hurt us in the playoffs. Do you mean 10 years from now? Or this year. The Ref's wont be calling him for more penalties because of a gesture like that, unless they are a leafs fan
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

He is gaining a reputation, if he continues well ten years down the line then I am sure it will not be as hideous as Cooke.  Cooke as is/was actually not a clown type of pest but just a "dirty" player.  Marchand is developing a reputation, with his clown antics and recent suspension.  If he controls those behaviors then the NHL will look at a 20 year old's behavior as a learning curve phenomena.  My concern is the reputation is enough now for his antics to be a negative effect on the team during the playoffs, and yes with a penalty worthy of the said reputation.  ILH, I did not have enough time to explain my view the last time.  My apology.   You are one of the better posters on the board.  Cheers.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]The facts: All people make mistakes. This kid (22 or 23?) admitted that his actions were innapropriate and amounted to a mistake and then told the public of his punishment (from CJ). He says it was "stupid" and "won't happen again." He was upfront and honest about the situation. He took responsibility My interpretation: Marchand gets it. He's trying to change his style of play, which will be a progression. I respect that he owns up to his mistakes and that he's willing to listen to his superiors and change his style when needed. Not everyone is a Bergeron, but at least Marchand is trying to clean up his game. Aside: I wonder if Subban would be doing the same if he was surrounded by guys like Bergeron, Recchi, Thornton, Chara, etc. If you don't think so, then you have to credit Marchand for a willingness to accept fault and change. If you do, you have to credit the team. Either way, I'm disappointed this incident happened but impressed with how it was handled by all parties involved.

excellent post

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand "regrets" mocking Maple Leafs with golf swing : Golf and tennis...?  Cut it out.  Some of us just don't like all the antics, from a rookie who should just focus on hockey.  Don't try to cordon off your area as "the only true hockey fans think this". Maybe Marchand should just fight Komisarek next time, giving up 50 lbs. and 6 inches.  But that isn't good for the team...you see that right?
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Cut what out?  It's the truth.  If you don't like the antics, don't watch.  Who is the one trying to cordon off the "true Hockey" fan angle?  I am notsaying you are less or more of a hockey fan than I am because we disagree, I am only saying that you have the choice not to watch or be a fan.  This kind of thing is not going to go away, so you either get used to it, or find something else to follow.  Looch going with Rosehill is not good for the team, Marchand going with Komisarek I have no problem with, size does not matter to me.  See Nevin and PJ.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Agreed, an excellent post dc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

You very well could be right with your assessment.  However, he could be saying those things because his coach was ticked off at him, and Claude is a stiff shirt, and Marchand is just playing the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand "regrets" mocking Maple Leafs with golf swing : You very well could be right with your assessment.  However, he could be saying those things because his coach was ticked off at him, and Claude is a stiff shirt, and Marchand is just playing the game.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

What part of the game was he playing?  Was the play on?  What part of hockey is that.  Your version of hockey and mine are completely different.  I have had some excellent coaches during my hockey days(2 who coached at the NHL level- Mike Johnson and Mike Kelly) and a lot of teams threw their jerseys in their bag and under the bus.  These guys made us carry the jerseys on the bus with pride.  When Marchand plays these "games" he is representing a team.  Its not an individual thing.  If you like that kinda stuff fine.  But obviously the coaches realize that it can be a death wish to a team.  If its so entertaining why is the last guy to do it Andrew Peters.   That will be remembered and the hockey gods do watch over.  He can play as hard as he wants during the game.  Have you watched much of Marchand in junior hockey?  He has great talent and a 2cent brain.  How many times has Lapierre been traded this year.  Eventually those antics get old.  What doesnt get old is his hockey ability.  And they dont teach swinging a golf club at another team growing up.  He has always had an ego.  It will catch up with him. 
    I just hope I dont see you posting about PK and other class A idiots.  And when Marchand gets fed I dont want you complaining either. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand "regrets" mocking Maple Leafs with golf swing : What part of the game was he playing?  Was the play on?  What part of hockey is that.  Your version of hockey and mine are completely different.  I have had some excellent coaches during my hockey days(2 who coached at the NHL level- Mike Johnson and Mike Kelly) and a lot of teams threw their jerseys in their bag and under the bus.  These guys made us carry the jerseys on the bus with pride.  When Marchand plays these "games" he is representing a team.  Its not an individual thing.  If you like that kinda stuff fine.  But obviously the coaches realize that it can be a death wish to a team.  If its so entertaining why is the last guy to do it Andrew Peters.   That will be remembered and the hockey gods do watch over.  He can play as hard as he wants during the game.  Have you watched much of Marchand in junior hockey?  He has great talent and a 2cent brain.  How many times has Lapierre been traded this year.  Eventually those antics get old.  What doesnt get old is his hockey ability.  And they dont teach swinging a golf club at another team growing up.  He has always had an ego.  It will catch up with him.  I just hope I dont see you posting about PK and other class A idiots.  And when Marchand gets fed I dont want you complaining either. 

"Marchand is just playing the game" - I am referring to the PR game.  He wants to play, his coach is upset at him, he apologizes so that he gets the playing time he deserves and tries to get out of the dog house.  Lapierre 12 pts. -15, Marchand 21 goals and 19 assists for 40 pts. +26 with only 51 penalty minutes, yeah that gets old.  Peters in the same category, LOL.  Sorry, I only believe in one God.  Everyone can recite what their coaches did to make them a team and respect the game, etc....  The fact of the matter is that there are guys like Claude Lemeuix, who are universally hated by everyone they play against and their fans, but they have their name engraved on Lord Stanley.  IMHO, Brad Marchand is every bit as good as Claude, and if he can play a pivitol role in bringing the cup to Boston, I am all for it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

And I say to the Maple Leafs fans......''''FOOOORE ''''

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Claude was hated for the style he played the game.  But he was absolutely clutch come playoff time.  How can you compare a rookie with 20 goals to one of the great all time playoff clutch performers. 

Hall is better than Gretzky as well. 

I live in NS and have watched a lot of Marchand as he has developed.  Lots of talent.  2cent brain.  If every veteran on that team didnt say something I would be shocked.  Name me the last guy who did the golf swing.  Is it a regular occurence by Claude Lemieux?  I dont recall him doing it. 

Point about Lapierre and Marchand has nothing to do with goals.  Has everything about teams getting tired of their antics.  It gets old.  Watch and see.  time will tell.  Someone will respond.  And when it does I will have my old school ways coming out in full force saying I told you so. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Some of you old timers need to realize that the times are a changing. A lot of the younger players coming up are going to be like that. It's in the way they were brought up. How did Marchand get here? Playing this style of hockey, shouldn't surprise anyone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

callo,

Respecting the game never changes.  If that were the case every clown in the league would be doing it.  All time greats dont disrespect the game, team or opponents.  That is a culture in hockey that will never change.  when it does I promise I will be the 1st to watch a new sport. 

And since you are here, Brule is one of these players and now is accepted?  PK is accepted by you?  Avery, Cooke and Ott?  Just checking.  I wanna know so when I read one of your posts calling out another guy that its ok.  Same reason I commented on it.  Its ok for Brad, not for other teams aholes

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Nowhere in my post does it say it's okay. I'm saying the new generation of hockey players are different. That's great you bring up all-time greats. None of these guys are and probably never will be. The culture of hockey changes every 10-15 years or so. And ready for this I would take Brule, PK, Avery, and Ott on my team. Not Cooke, he is in his own league. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Change for the better?  I think not.  For the same reason the guys mentioned play the game are the same reason we dont have Savy.  So if this game and resepcting it has changed it can be directly linked to idiots like this.  I am tired of watching every sportsdesk start off with a head hit. 
    I am glad you would want them.  For me they are a disgrace to the game.  PK has great talent like Marchand.  But their antics on the ice put them in a class with the other bozo's.  Kesler changed for the better.  agree?  Between the whistles.  Kelser is now getting more respect as well.  Not so many people cross checking him in the head these days. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]Claude was hated for the style he played the game.  But he was absolutely clutch come playoff time.  How can you compare a rookie with 20 goals to one of the great all time playoff clutch performers.  Hall is better than Gretzky as well.  I live in NS and have watched a lot of Marchand as he has developed.  Lots of talent.  2cent brain.  If every veteran on that team didnt say something I would be shocked.  Name me the last guy who did the golf swing.  Is it a regular occurence by Claude Lemieux?  I dont recall him doing it.  Point about Lapierre and Marchand has nothing to do with goals.  Has everything about teams getting tired of their antics.  It gets old.  Watch and see.  time will tell.  Someone will respond.  And when it does I will have my old school ways coming out in full force saying I told you so. 

How can I compare, let's see, Lemieux was a "pest" and hated by everyone, you and others are saying Marchand is "dirty", a "diver", "chirps" too much, if that is not a definition of Claude I don't know what is.  Marchand has the hockey ability that resembles a Claude Lemieux, not a Lapierre or Peters.  So if Marchand is "Clutch" come playoff time, everything is o.k. between you and him?  So it's just the action, "the Golf Swing" that you are talking about now?  What a joke.  Get a grip, it sounds as if he stole your girl or something and that you are jealous of this kid with the "2cent brain".  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Some of you old timers need to realize that the times are a changing. A lot of the younger players coming up are going to be like that. It's in the way they were brought up. How did Marchand get here? Playing this style of hockey, shouldn't surprise anyone.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Hey Callo, noticed the Cheifs pic, now that is old time hockey.  Some of the young guys need to know the NHL is changing the rules.  Personally I like the tough players like Kevin Dineen etc. Yet, Marchand should not be a Daniel Carcillo, he is better than that!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]Change for the better?  I think not.  For the same reason the guys mentioned play the game are the same reason we dont have Savy.  So if this game and resepcting it has changed it can be directly linked to idiots like this.  I am tired of watching every sportsdesk start off with a head hit.  I am glad you would want them.  For me they are a disgrace to the game.  PK has great talent like Marchand.  But their antics on the ice put them in a class with the other bozo's.  Kesler changed for the better.  agree?  Between the whistles.  Kelser is now getting more respect as well.  Not so many people cross checking him in the head these days. 
    Oh Shupe I'm not saying it has changed for the better. I don't think if these guys were playing back in the day they'd be murdered either. A lot of guys yapped while out on the ice. The head hunting I am not a fan of at all. A lot of the blame needs to fall on the equipment that is now used today as well. Keslar has changed but he stills yaps from time to time. But he is a stud so I think that's why he is getting respect. Look at the Chi team, bunch of young yappers but are respect. Flyers? Not many on this board respect them but they talk and talk (just like your boy Richards) but they have a lot of talent. It's an age thing. Us young guys tend to be cocky.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand "regrets" mocking Maple Leafs with golf swing : Hey Callo, noticed the Cheifs pic, now that is old time hockey.  Some of the young guys need to know the NHL is changing the rules.  Personally I like the tough players like Kevin Dineen etc. Yet, Marchand should not be a Daniel Carcillo, he is better than that!  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    It sure is! I think everyone (who plays on edge) is having a hard time adjusting to the new rules. It's the way people were taught to play and all of sudden you have to stop or face the consequences. I think it's just going to take some time. But if they continue to hurt players, I would assume on purpose at that point, then they start to lose respect from me. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand "regrets" mocking Maple Leafs with golf swing : Oh Shupe I'm not saying it has changed for the better. I don't think if these guys were playing back in the day they'd be murdered either. A lot of guys yapped while out on the ice. The head hunting I am not a fan of at all. A lot of the blame needs to fall on the equipment that is now used today as well. Keslar has changed but he stills yaps from time to time. But he is a stud so I think that's why he is getting respect. Look at the Chi team, bunch of young yappers but are respect. Flyers? Not many on this board respect them but they talk and talk (just like your boy Richards) but they have a lot of talent. It's an age thing. Us young guys tend to be cocky.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Absofreakinlutely!