Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin: Theres Another Gear

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from superj2k10. Show superj2k10's posts

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin: Theres Another Gear

Obviously, everyone is aware how well this line is playing together. The chemistry, the understanding on where each other are at all times, the support on the forecheck/backcheck, everything is just clicking.

However, i truly believe this line can take it to the next level. Seguin has had a decent year so far but I do believe he is a better player when he has the puck on his stick going through the neutral zone.

Where am i going with this?

I would like to see Seguin get some shifts at center with Bergeron going back to the position he started his career in and scored 30+ goals (RW). The move will not distrupt the chemistry, nor will there be any faceoff implications. Bergeron can always slide in to take big faceoffs while gradually letting Seguin get experience.

Putting Seguin at center will allow him to use his creativity. He has excellent speed, which will back up D-men, allowing Marchand and Bergeron more space in dangerous areas. Also, Seguin has the ability to become a dynamic hybrid center who cannot only hit the open man but create his own shot. It is so much harder to defend a centerman who can beat you one on one with a shot.

I am not saying Seguin is Crosby or even Stamkos (Centers-Speed/Shot) but those players are a perfect model of what kind of player Seguin can "potentially" become.

This is clearly my opinion. I really believe swapping Seguin and Bergeron will take that line to a different level. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin: Theres Another Gear

Bergeron is too good defensivley and too good at face offs to move from center. I think the biggest problem with Seguin up to now was that he was carrying the puck through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone too much. He was coming down 1 on 2 way too often...When he's the one not carrying the puck, creates problems for defenses....Look at the 2 on 1 he had with Marchand last night where he missed the net....Marchand made a nice pass, but Seguin blew right past the defense. I like him having the puck, once in the zone, I'd rather Bergeron or Marchand carry it in, they dont try to do too much. An open Seguin, is very dangerous.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I agree with both ideas, Seguin does well when driving up the center without the puck. Bergeron can still take faceoffs, they can just rotate mid-play, Seguin can keep up his back check and Bergeron can maintain his ridiculously good 2-way play. Just have Seguin take the middle of the ice on break outs. It's an easy cross over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

No - Centers under Julien's system have responsibilities below both goal lines. They need to be the first ones back defensively, need to focus on net coverage, and usually the last one to join the rush. No thank you - it's a perfect role for Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly and Campbell. It would only slow down Seguin's speed.

What he really needs is a little gravitas to bust down the seam more often, and be the first on the puck along the boards. Under both conditions, he's shown hesitation to stick his nose where it gets dirty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The entire team has another gear though actually. I haven't seen a game where the entire team was in sync yet.