Marchand for Marleau ?? w the f

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Marchand for Marleau ?? w the f

I know its just a rumor, BUT NO F'ING WAY WOULD I DO IT ......

http://www.xnsports.com/2014/06/12/marchand-marleau-nhl-trade-rumors/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Marchand for Marleau ?? w the f

Sounds like pure speculation.  About a 10 year age difference combined with a $2M+ cap hit on the same term. 

This would make zero sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Only Bruins fans would be against a deal like this.  Listen, Chara's getting old.  Seidenberg is getting old.  Krejci and Lucic are (in my opinion) at the top of their game and may stay there for a year or two more and then the decline begins.

Marleau is an amazing player, a superstar.  33 goals and 37 assists.

Yeah, let's keep Marchand instead.  Oh my.  Make this happen!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

just saw a tweet about this also.  Like Crowls mentions his cap hit would be the only reason why this trade would not happen. 

If this trade happens it's PC saying win now.

I started a thread after Bruins eliminated, Marchand will get traded. If Seguins lack of production and off ice antics got him traded , Marchand's lacjk of production and on-ice antics (not working anymore) will get him traded. Still like the kid but as a Bruin he's a marked man and his tactics won't help the Bruins win .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I do think Bartkowski and Kelly are gone. I also believe PC is going to make a move and it will be for a forward. Moveable contracts that could get a real good return are Marchand and Boychuk.

Marleau's cap hit is $6.6M until 2017...ahh No.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

While realizing it's just a rumor, I'm kind of torn on this one. Marleau is a terrific player, would most likely win over a lot of Bruins fans and make them forget Marchand, but I'm just not sure about the cap hit.

One thing about Marleau, he is consistent, you know what your going to get from him, while with Marchand, he tends to disappear for stretches.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I still say Seguin's cap hit combined with the fact they didn't see him developing into anything more than just "another 30 goal scorer" as the reason he was dealt.  30 goal scorers get paid 90 of what 40 goal scorers get for 75% of the production, which is bad math in a Cap league.  If Marchand doesn't get dealt, Legion, this might be why.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Player for player i make this deal in a minute.  Maybe if they take Kelly in the deal(ala Peverly) to even out the contracts it could happen.  

Marleau is a heck of a player whos skating isnt gonna slow down for the next few yrs.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Player for player i make this deal in a minute.  Maybe if they take Kelly in the deal(ala Peverly) to even out the contracts it could happen.  

Marleau is a heck of a player whos skating isnt gonna slow down for the next few yrs.  

[/QUOTE]

Well stated.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

If San Jose is willin to retain some salary to even it out, go for it

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

I question why Tallon would make this deal. San Jose should be looking for players that raise their game in the playoffs, not vanish, and lose the ability to hit open nets.

The Sharks would be getting a player that went 0 goals in 12 games this year, and has just 5 goals in 41 games over the last 3 years.

Marleau has scored 15 goals in his last 41 playoff games.

There would have to be other pieces involved in a deal that involves those two players. No way it would be a 1 for 1 swap.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to BigBadnBruin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I question why Tallon would make this deal. San Jose should be looking for players that raise their game in the playoffs, not vanish, and lose the ability to hit open nets.

The Sharks would be getting a player that went 0 goals in 12 games this year, and has just 5 goals in 41 games over the last 3 years.

Marleau has scored 15 goals in his last 41 playoff games.

There would have to be other pieces involved in a deal that involves those two players. No way it would be a 1 for 1 swap.

[/QUOTE]

Was thinking the same thing.  How would SJ benefit?  PLus, the Bs would need to clear cap space by getting rid of Kelly and and Bart.  SJ may see some advantage in a 2 for 1 deal.  Kelly would give them some playoff "leadership/defensive minded forward" stuff.  

SJ's problem is that they couldn't get "mean" enough to compete with LA - maybe this motivates them.  Marchand fits the agitator role.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Only Bruins fans would be against a deal like this.  Listen, Chara's getting old.  Seidenberg is getting old.  Krejci and Lucic are (in my opinion) at the top of their game and may stay there for a year or two more and then the decline begins.

[/QUOTE]

Want to make sure I have this...

Trade the much younger/cheaper player who was pivotal in a Cup victory for a much older/ more expensive player that hasn't won jack?

What does Marleau's 33-37-70 translate to when he is no longer getting 20:31 of TOI and 3:36 PP TOI and is required to play more a disciplined 2-way game?

Oh ok, we should do it then...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Regarding cap space. 

People have to remember. Under the new CBA teams are now allowed to retain a portion of the salary when trading players.

Clearing cap space is not the only option when trying to fit players under the cap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

One thing about Marleau, he is consistent, you know what your going to get from him, while with Marchand, he tends to disappear for stretches.

I disagree.

Marleau has had a reputation of disappearing also. Jeremy Roenick who played with Marleau went on a rant about this a year or two ago.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Regarding cap space. 

People have to remember. Under the new CBA teams are now allowed to retain a portion of the salary when trading players.

Clearing cap space is not the only option when trying to fit players under the cap.

[/QUOTE]

Good point, needs to be considered.

That said, like the Bruins, the Sharks are pretty tight to the cap. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Three words: retained salary transaction

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

SJ has a bit more cap space than the B's so theoretically they could retain some salary but I'm not sure they would. They are clearly trying to shake up their playoff-failing roster significantly and they may need all the cap room they can get. Teams like the Brooklyn Islanders can do that but I don't see the Sharts (thanks, book) going that route.

But looking at the deal without regard for the cap, I would do it in a second. It makes you a better team and gives you a better chance to win a cup in the next few years. Isn't that the bottom line?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Marleau has  a nmc so I don't see him going to anyone but a contender

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Makes zero sense to me.  Marleau is considered a bit soft.  He's Joe Thornton lite.  He's old, and he's over paid.

Virtually all of these fantasy trades/rumours/stories are the result of absolutely illogical, over-stated, panicy, post mortems by those that "assumed" the Bruins "should have" won the Cup.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Marleau outscored Marchand 165-144 over the last 3 years combined. I would expect more from an "amazing superstar", especially one who gets paid so much more than Marchand and is 8 years older. It's a cap league so there's no way I'd make that trade straight up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Another question would be - How much does PC expect the cap to go up in 2015 and 2016. I would hate to lose Soderberg and Paille because there is a 35 or 36 year old with a $6.6M cap hit.

That's a hefty hit for 10 more goals a year. I am not questioning Marleau's talent either, I would love to see him hammering onetimers off the half wall during the PP.

I would have to think Wilson is going to buyout Havlats last year.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Want to make sure I have this...

Trade the much younger/cheaper player who was pivotal in a Cup victory for a much older/ more expensive player that hasn't won jack?

What does Marleau's 33-37-70 translate to when he is no longer getting 20:31 of TOI and 3:36 PP TOI and is required to play more a disciplined 2-way game?

Oh ok, we should do it then...

[/QUOTE]

That's one way to look at it.

Here's another:  Trade a younger guy who's antics have grown tired while he lives off the glory of some playoff games four seasons ago (this being one of them).  In the meantime, he's streaky, he acts stupidly and costs the team and has been on a playoff choke train to the tune of five goals in 41 games.

In return, get a proven veteran who gets it done in the playoffs despite his team not following his lead (eight goals in his last 18 games).

That Marleau "hasn't won jack" matters only to the people who think Thornton's two Cup rings make him a better player.  I'm not one of them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

If the Bruins could get SJ to take another contract, id be into this.

A Marleau-Bergeron-Smith line would be really fun to watch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Oh boy, that's a tough one.  I love the win now philosophy, but I also hate the notion of everyone getting old at the same time.  

After trading Seguin, Marchand is one of a few young successful players who have trade value.  Despite all of the negatives that I've mentioned about him, he seems like he's gonna be a 30-30 guy for another dozen years.  If the Bruins sign Marleau, and Iginla, and then fail to win the Cup, I think we're looking at an increasingly unattractive situation next year, only without one of the better younger players.  Some guys might not age well and we might have even more injuries.  This seems pretty risky to me.

It's tough with a potential Marchand trade because what the Bruins need -- youth, speed, modest salary -- is the same thing the other 29 teams are looking for.

Obviously the salary would be a concern and San Jose would have to eat a chunk of it, but the age difference is a pretty big concern too.  I don't know what else is on the table for Marchand, but I would much rather try to get a guy like Marleau at the trade deadline, where it might cost you some draft picks instead of Marchand.

Then again, seeing Marleau in a spoked-B wouldn't exactly bum me out.

Sections
Shortcuts