Marchand for Marleau ?? w the f

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Marchand for Marleau ?? w the f

PC made a trade last year partly based on the player's lack of productivity in the playoffs.

The Bruins are cup contenders. Has patience gone out the window with regards to waiting for something to happen with these types of players come playoff time ?

Marchand has shown the inability to help out on the scoresheet the last 3 playoffs as compared to the cup winning year. 

All the antics, cap space, age, etc. of Marchand and Marleau are secondary reasons why a trade like this would/wouldn't be made. 

For the Bruins it would be whether they think they'd be a better team come playoff time with Marleau replacing Marchand.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

NOT Happening!

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/06/13/peter-chiarelli-bruins-not-planning-on-trading-brad-marchand-for-patrick-marleau-or-anyone-else/

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NOT Happening!

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/06/13/peter-chiarelli-bruins-not-planning-on-trading-brad-marchand-for-patrick-marleau-or-anyone-else/" rel="nofollow">http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/06/13/peter-chiarelli-bruins-not-planning-on-trading-brad-marchand-for-patrick-marleau-or-anyone-else/

[/QUOTE]

To be fair I doubt he would come out and say: "Yeah, you got me, that's the trade."

Usually the whole "planning not to trade him" is the kiss of death more often than not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

[/QUOTE]

To be fair I doubt he would come out and say: "Yeah, you got me, that's the trade."

Usually the whole "planning not to trade him" is the kiss of death more often than not.

[/QUOTE]

I don't remember this adage ever applying to PC though.  Guess there is always a first, but he is usually pretty straight forward when he speaks with the media.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

True.....guess we will find out soon enough. I am happy either way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's one way to look at it.

Here's another:  Trade a younger guy who's antics have grown tired while he lives off the glory of some playoff games four seasons ago (this being one of them).  In the meantime, he's streaky, he acts stupidly and costs the team and has been on a playoff choke train to the tune of five goals in 41 games.

In return, get a proven veteran who gets it done in the playoffs despite his team not following his lead (eight goals in his last 18 games).

That Marleau "hasn't won jack" matters only to the people who think Thornton's two Cup rings make him a better player.  I'm not one of them.

[/QUOTE]

I see now that it appears your whipping boy/skating clown will not return to the Bruins, you have replaced him with another.  Maybe I should wish that they trade Brad away, so that we are not subjected to your repetitive post nonsense about one player for another 3 years!  Wait, your growing allegiance to the Panthers will hopefully continue to blossom. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

THe way Marchand disappeared last year, do it if they eat some of the money.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh boy, that's a tough one.  I love the win now philosophy, but I also hate the notion of everyone getting old at the same time.  

After trading Seguin, Marchand is one of a few young successful players who have trade value.  Despite all of the negatives that I've mentioned about him, he seems like he's gonna be a 30-30 guy for another dozen years.  If the Bruins sign Marleau, and Iginla, and then fail to win the Cup, I think we're looking at an increasingly unattractive situation next year, only without one of the better younger players.  Some guys might not age well and we might have even more injuries.  This seems pretty risky to me.

It's tough with a potential Marchand trade because what the Bruins need -- youth, speed, modest salary -- is the same thing the other 29 teams are looking for.

Obviously the salary would be a concern and San Jose would have to eat a chunk of it, but the age difference is a pretty big concern too.  I don't know what else is on the table for Marchand, but I would much rather try to get a guy like Marleau at the trade deadline, where it might cost you some draft picks instead of Marchand.

Then again, seeing Marleau in a spoked-B wouldn't exactly bum me out.

[/QUOTE]

I like this.  Exactly how i feel

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Maybe I'm putting way too much emphasis on this one phrase, but isn't Marleau just "another one of those 30 goal scorers?"  Big chunk of salary for a guy who put up Krejci-like totals - more goals than DK of course.  I could sort of see why he might be a target for the Bruins, though.  He was the Sharts' top PK forward in terms of ice time.  He averaged basically the same PP time/game as JT Superstar (and put up 23 of his 70 points on the PP - something to think about when attempting to envision his production in Boston), so he was basically their top forward in all situations.  And he was consistent in his production - his longest points drought in the regular season was 3 games.  He's not a physical guy, but he has good size and was 5th in hits on among Sharts forwards.  You might get 3 years of current level production out of him before his legs start to go - there was never a more effortless skater than Coffey, and remember what he looked like in Boston at the end?

So, use Chowdah's measure.  Do you think a straight up Marchand for Marleau swap makes the Bruins better in next year's playoffs?  Let's even make it a salary neutral play - Sharts are "moving on" so they're willing to eat the difference in contract value.  This means that whoever fills the Iginla spot if Marchand stays also fills it if he leaves.  Do you buy three years of Marleau knowing that Rat Jr. is a UFA at that point anyway?

Lots of flex if that happened, but:

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla

Marleau-Bergeron-Smith

Winner of the Rookie derby-Soderberg-Eriksson

Paille-Campbell-Rookie derby first runner-up.

Are you not entertained?!?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I agree with NAS about the aging of chara and seids, i really think the back end is a concern right now and over the next year or 2. Stting that marchand disappears in the playoffs is likely because of the way this team is molded to be, such as seguin who was the same way but with another team was better, different role. I think marchand is on the way out and dont think alot of fans will be too upset about it. I dont think trading boychuk is a good idea, shotblock leader, good defense and time to use him on the pp, would be much better to see chara dealt and concentrate on a player like girardi or Mcdonaough. along that line.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

If we are going to go on PC's comments,then we are to believe that there won't be many changes to the B's other than Providence B's getting a promotion. If we are to believe what we read,Iginla'a coming back,Marchand is staying,Thornton isn't coming back(veiled comments by PC) and maybe a defence man leaving.The Bruins today are likely the Bruins we will see in September. That isn't a bad thing but lets hope one or more of Florek,Spooner or Fraser can add something.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing about Marleau, he is consistent, you know what your going to get from him, while with Marchand, he tends to disappear for stretches.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

Marleau has had a reputation of disappearing also. Jeremy Roenick who played with Marleau went on a rant about this a year or two ago.

[/QUOTE]

I think he has consistently put up solid numbers over his career. His playoff numbers are actually pretty good as well. I remember the Roenick rant, but I think at the time, it was an aberration. Marchand is a little more streaky.

That being said, I like Marleau, but I'm not so sure I'd be in a hurry to move Marchand either. Pretty good player in his own right. In fact, I'd almost argue that when both at their best, at this point in their careers Marchand might be the better option. For me if he's going to be a pest, be a pest. Don't change your game because the playoffs start.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Add another poster to this point if view. I would keep Marchand and hope he becomes a poor man's Patrick Kane.  The Marleau talk Hags likes to spread is probably related to the Iginla negotiations. 

In response to wallydouglas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with NAS about the aging of chara and seids, i really think the back end is a concern right now and over the next year or 2. Stting that marchand disappears in the playoffs is likely because of the way this team is molded to be, such as seguin who was the same way but with another team was better, different role. I think marchand is on the way out and dont think alot of fans will be too upset about it. I dont think trading boychuk is a good idea, shotblock leader, good defense and time to use him on the pp, would be much better to see chara dealt and concentrate on a player like girardi or Mcdonaough. along that line.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

If this were to happen, and I would be totally, absolutely, shocked if it did...., I would lose a ton of respect for the B's braintrust.

The same type of player, with way less upside....than Seguin.  10 years older and more expensive.  Playoff points be damned.  You don't ignore a large sample size, in favour of a smaller one.

I understand, and support their decision to move Seguin.  1 year later, making a deal to bring in Marleau....and they're all idiot's.

Deadline acquisition, or FA signing ?.....whole n'other story, but swapping an aging 30 goal scorer, for a younger, top 6,   25-30 goal scorer who just happens to be about 30% less expensive, and a generation younger........ is insanity.  I can't think of many expensive talents out there...who are a much worse fit for the way this team currently competes.

This bunch barely has room for 1 more salary in Marleau's range, and that's the guy playing wing on the 1st line.  They can't trade a top 6 for it..,..it has to be purchased, or else there's subtraction.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If this were to happen, and I would be totally, absolutely, shocked if it did...., I would lose a ton of respect for the B's braintrust.

The same type of player, with way less upside....than Seguin.  10 years older and more expensive.  Playoff points be damned.  You don't ignore a large sample size, in favour of a smaller one.

I understand, and support their decision to move Seguin.  1 year later, making a deal to bring in Marleau....and they're all idiot's.

Deadline acquisition, or FA signing ?.....whole n'other story, but swapping an aging 30 goal scorer, for a younger, top 6,   25-30 goal scorer who just happens to be about 30% less expensive, and a generation younger........ is insanity.  I can't think of many expensive talents out there...who are a much worse fit for the way this team currently competes.

This bunch barely has room for 1 more salary in Marleau's range, and that's the guy playing wing on the 1st line.  They can't trade a top 6 for it..,..it has to be purchased, or else there's subtraction.

[/QUOTE]

That's exactly my point.  In Marchand's second year, he ripped in the playoffs.  In this third, fourth and fifth year, he was a non-factor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I would keep Marchand and hope for a playoff turnaround than go with an older player,with a bigger contract,who regardless of playoff numbers has been a playoff disappointment and who for years could not raise his game,ala Jumbo Joe,come playoff time.I would take a pass on this guy.Like i said earlier,i am not opposed to trading Marchand but Marleau isn't the answer,imo. Keep Brad,he has more to give and he knows it,he has stated his disappointment at his playoff droughts and i hope and trust he gets his act together.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

That's exactly my point.  In Marchand's second year, he ripped in the playoffs.  In this third, fourth and fifth year, he was a non-factor.

Regardless of Marleau's playoff numbers,which aren't mind-blowing,he has been a non-factor in many of the Sharts many playoff non-runs. Marchand has a smaller playoff failure sampling than Marleau,he'd be better suited for the Lerfs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Time for Marchand to pull a 'Stan Makita'. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE] That isn't a bad thing but lets hope one or more of Florek,Spooner or Fraser can add something. [/QUOTE]

By early November PC will have an answer on Spooner, Fraser and Florek. Teams that get out to horrible starts will start to look to unload veteran wingers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

But is Marchand becoming a playoff liability? I loved the guy, he was unreal in 2011's playoff, but someone who could say (I read the article again last night) that a big part of his playoff failure was a "lack of focus... thinking of other things."  Really?  This can happen to you in a playoff series vs the Canadiens?

30 regular season goals are nice and all, but if we are now judging this team by playoff success (rightfully so) then maybe a guy who completely disappears at playoff time a couple years in a row, other than to make highlight reel missed open nets and get damaging penalties, both of his own poor judgement and because of reputation, not to mention the odd glaring turnover, well, I'll take Marleau, please.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Time for Marchand to pull a 'Stan Makita'. 

[/QUOTE]

Stan Mikita? You mean becoming a Lady Byng Candidate?  Gonna need to score even more often if he completely takes the jam out of his game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

PS, have to acknowledge the fact that Marleau is a centerpiece of probably the most underachieving playoff team in the NHL, although I still assign the poster child status for that to Jumbo No, er, Joe.

So trading a guy who disappears at playoff time lately for a guy who is a major cog in the biggest consistent playoff chokers in the league is a tough call.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The Bruins roster will have significant turnover in the top 9 three years from now regardless, so don't you want those three years to be with Marleau and not Marchand? I would. After that, not so much due to age and skill sets going in opposite directions (maybe)....but by that time you get 3 years of really good play from Marleau and don't have to worry about the next contract being an albatross. It's essentially a rental, albeit for 3 years and not just a few months. I'm ok with that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Bruins roster will have significant turnover in the top 9 three years from now regardless, so don't you want those three years to be with Marleau and not Marchand? I would. After that, not so much due to age and skill sets going in opposite directions (maybe)....but by that time you get 3 years of really good play from Marleau and don't have to worry about the next contract being an albatross. It's essentially a rental, albeit for 3 years and not just a few months. I'm ok with that.

[/QUOTE]

Perfect.

I don't care about the age.  I care about the skill.  Marleau is a better player.  Plain and simple, he's better.

Doug Weight for Esa Tikkanen comes to mind.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from no1bruinsfan. Show no1bruinsfan's posts

So much for that rumour, Chiarelli denies trying to trade marchand for marleau.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/chiarelli-shoots-down-marchand-marleau-rumor