Marchand for Marleau ?? w the f

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Marchand for Marleau ?? w the f

GMs work on the idea "do as I say not as I do". Translation, a GM will say one thing to the media and do the opposite in action. Marleau is not coming to the Bs but PC is working several deals if he is smart. Hags is a tool when it comes to rumors. 

In response to no1bruinsfan's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from no1bruinsfan. Show no1bruinsfan's posts

I don't for a second doubt the Bs are looking to make a deal and I do believe Marchand may be one of the guys that could be going. Should be an interesting couple of weeks leading up to and following the draft.

In response to islamorada's comment:

GMs work on the idea "do as I say not as I do". Translation, a GM will say one thing to the media and do the opposite in action. Marleau is not coming to the Bs but PC is working several deals if he is smart. Hags is a tool when it comes to rumors. 

In response to no1bruinsfan's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

I agree with NAS about the aging of chara and seids, i really think the back end is a concern right now and over the next year or 2. Stting that marchand disappears in the playoffs is likely because of the way this team is molded to be, such as seguin who was the same way but with another team was better, different role. I think marchand is on the way out and dont think alot of fans will be too upset about it. I dont think trading boychuk is a good idea, shotblock leader, good defense and time to use him on the pp, would be much better to see chara dealt and concentrate on a player like girardi or Mcdonaough. along that line.

All of this "Marchand disapears in the playoffs" talk is getting pretty freaking old and in my opinion blown way out of proportion.  How can you judge a guy on such a small sample size with non context at all?  If you can say that about Marchand, you can say it about just about every other player in the league.  I mean let's think back to those disappearing acts...

2011 - In my opinion, one of the biggest reasons we won the cup with big goals and great 2-way play 19 pts in 25 games

2012 - B's lose to the Capitals in the first round.  Basically run into a goalie playing out of his mind in Holtby.  I don't remember any Bruins tearing it up in that series 2 points in 7 games

2013 - B's lose in the Cup Finals.  Brad scores 13 pts in 22 games.  Not tearing it up, but not as terrible as everybody says.  Had a concussion in April of that year.  So everybody out there who wants to give Loui a pass and then talk about Marchand disappearing needs to take a look in the mirror

2014 - we all know the story -- 5 pts, 12 games.  Could have had 3 goals just hitting open nets and a whole lot of other quality chances.  He had a couple lazy turnovers, but otherwise was out on the ice creating opportunities for himself and teammates.  That line was our best in the playoffs in my opinion.  Again -- ran into a hot goalie who was shutting everybody down, not just Marchand

Too much sky is falling, knee jerk reactions flying around that we want to get rid of a reasonably priced, under 25 year old home grown guy who will hover around 60 points a year and plays a great two way game.  Not to mention probably the most dangerous PK guy in the league with Bergeron as well as the only guy on the Bruins not afraid to go 1-on-1 and take the puck to the net and create his own chances.  

I think another under-rated factor is his chemistry with Bergeron.  While I agree that Bergeron's talent stands on it's own, you can't deny that from the moment these two have started playing together they have been on the same page and read off each other extremely well.  

Another factor that you don't hear anybody bring up is that Marchands decline in scoring coincided with Bergeron's increase in scoring.  Bergy starts shooting more = he is setting up his linemates less.  A goal is a goal no matter which guy on the line scores it.  The Bergeron-Marchand-Player X combo has arguably been our best line for the last two years running, or at least a 1B

As in anything, you can't draw conclusions from stats alone.  You need the context to fully understand  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's not a small sample size.  It's a four year look.   Four years ago, he put on a show.  Since then, he's recorded five goals in 41 games.  That's gross.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

One thing about Marleau, he is consistent, you know what your going to get from him, while with Marchand, he tends to disappear for stretches.

I disagree.

Marleau has had a reputation of disappearing also. Jeremy Roenick who played with Marleau went on a rant about this a year or two ago.

I think he has consistently put up solid numbers over his career. His playoff numbers are actually pretty good as well. I remember the Roenick rant, but I think at the time, it was an aberration. Marchand is a little more streaky.

That being said, I like Marleau, but I'm not so sure I'd be in a hurry to move Marchand either. Pretty good player in his own right. In fact, I'd almost argue that when both at their best, at this point in their careers Marchand might be the better option. For me if he's going to be a pest, be a pest. Don't change your game because the playoffs start.

Marleau's career playoff PPG is 0.62, down 17.0% from his regular season PPG of .747

Marchand's career playoff PPG is 0.59, down 15.7% from his career regular season PPG of .701

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

The Bruins today are likely the Bruins we will see in September. That isn't a bad thing but lets hope one or more of Florek,Spooner or Fraser can add something.

This is it in a nutshell, isn't it? And while you might not have the right guys, I think we should be reasonable comfortable with this strategy based on how well it's worked for PC in the past.  We might not talk about this enough; PC's gone to this well often, and when the well spit up Chris Bourque, people were ready to heap scorn.  But the batting average overall is really pretty good in large part because they've been very proactive about it.  Even acquiring Bourque for Hamill was proactive - better chance Bourque could contribute than Hamill.

Ever since the Chiarelli/Julien era began, after the Dave Lewis debacle, they've gone to the well pretty much every year and the successes far outnumber the fails.  That first year, it was Kessel, Lucic, Krejci, Stuart, but also Nokelainen, Sobotka and Hunwick.  All draft picks except Nokelainen.  Next year, though, it was Wheeler - a guy PC went out and got - and Bitz.  3rd year, the big one was Rask, but the investment in two guys acquired as AHL players started to pay off with Boychuk and McQuaid getting some time, plus Marchand getting an audition.  Next year, the second line RW vacancy is eventually filled by Marchand.  McQuaid becomes a regular.  Bitz got dealt as the/a key piece in the Seidenberg deal.  Seguin debuts.  That's looking for young players to play a role every year for each of those years, and the team getting better and better until it won a Cup.

Then they blew it.  The picks ran dry, the AHL deals didn't pan out immediately or at all (Bourque, Kampfer didn't pan, Bartkowski took longer, Miller needed time).  They'd dealt their own first rounder for a couple of years, so there wasn't a high end kid looking to break in - other than Hamilton.  Caron was the best they had in the system.  Suddenly, the cry was that PC should have done more done this done that.  It's the first time they tried the strategy and it didn't help.  Early attempts might not have all panned out, but the team needs were met, and the team got better, because enough of them did.

They did it again last year with a combination of acquired prospects (Smith, Fraser, Krug, Bartkowski, Miller, Krug, Soderberg) and a draft pick or two (Spooner...well, really just Spooner).  They seem to be in pretty good shape to at least try to fill from within with younger, hungry guys like Spooner, Khokhlachev, Griffith, Florek and Fraser up front, Morrow and Trotman on the back end, and both Providence goalies.

[object HTMLDivElement]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

This rumour is a smokescreen.

1. It doesn't make sense from an age standpoint or cap-wise, especially with the RFA's and UFA's coming up next year. Taking on more salary for an old man is idiotic.

2. Marchand is already spoken for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

This rumour is a smokescreen.

1. It doesn't make sense from an age standpoint or cap-wise, especially with the RFA's and UFA's coming up next year. Taking on more salary for an old man is idiotic.

Wheat- this rumor was manufactured by Jimmy Murphy and Haggs.  These two are borderline Eklund-esque.

If you have something, please share.  Otherwise, the cryptic "I know something you don't" is tiring. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Only Bruins fans would be against a deal like this.  Listen, Chara's getting old.  Seidenberg is getting old.  Krejci and Lucic are (in my opinion) at the top of their game and may stay there for a year or two more and then the decline begins.

Marleau is an amazing player, a superstar.  33 goals and 37 assists.

Yeah, let's keep Marchand instead.  Oh my.  Make this happen!

Want to make sure I have this...

Trade the much younger/cheaper player who was pivotal in a Cup victory for a much older/ more expensive player that hasn't won jack?

What does Marleau's 33-37-70 translate to when he is no longer getting 20:31 of TOI and 3:36 PP TOI and is required to play more a disciplined 2-way game?

Oh ok, we should do it then...

Marleau has a two way game that is pretty underrated. Killed penalties on the Olympic team with Bergeron, played on a line with Toews that shut down opposing teams best line.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Only Bruins fans would be against a deal like this.  Listen, Chara's getting old.  Seidenberg is getting old.  Krejci and Lucic are (in my opinion) at the top of their game and may stay there for a year or two more and then the decline begins.

Trade the much younger/cheaper player who was pivotal in a Cup victory for a much older/ more expensive player that hasn't won jack?

What does Marleau's 33-37-70 translate to when he is no longer getting 20:31 of TOI and 3:36 PP TOI and is required to play more a disciplined 2-way game?

Marleau has a two way game that is pretty underrated. Killed penalties on the Olympic team with Bergeron, played on a line with Toews that shut down opposing teams best line.

I think his lack of emotion gets him a knock against him.  Hes been a pretty pivotal part of 2 gold medals.  His ability to skate is beautiful to watch.  His defensive game is top notch.  I wouldnt wanna build a team around him but hes an upgrade over Marchand as a player.  When you factor in contract and age it makes it a tougher choice.  I think the bruins have an excellent window over the next 2 yrs.  I dont think this team will be as dominant when chara retires.  I wanna win next year.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

6.7M for three years, pass.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Never said he wasn't a good player.  With the reduced AVG TOI and reduced PP TOI, what do you see as reasonable stat projections?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I think his lack of emotion gets him a knock against him.  Hes been a pretty pivotal part of 2 gold medals.  His ability to skate is beautiful to watch.  His defensive game is top notch.  I wouldnt wanna build a team around him but hes an upgrade over Marchand as a player.  When you factor in contract and age it makes it a tougher choice.  I think the bruins have an excellent window over the next 2 yrs.  I dont think this team will be as dominant when chara retires.  I wanna win next year.  

Perfectly stated.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Marleau's career playoff PPG is 0.62, down 17.0% from his regular season PPG of .747

Marchand's career playoff PPG is 0.59, down 15.7% from his career regular season PPG of .701

And take out that one great run...four post seasons ago...and he's at .49 PPG.

I appreciate you using real stats and not giving a ton of BS, but no matter how you present it, five goals in 41 playoffs games is simply unacceptable.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

From PC to English I think it means Marchand has one season to prove himself. No improvement after that and he'll be on the blocks.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

I see now that it appears your whipping boy/skating clown will not return to the Bruins, you have replaced him with another.  Maybe I should wish that they trade Brad away, so that we are not subjected to your repetitive post nonsense about one player for another 3 years!  Wait, your growing allegiance to the Panthers will hopefully continue to blossom. 

[/QUOTE]

Pick a player or two .............and just rag on them like a miserable old housewife. Same old, same old.

But come playoff time the complaints of negativity is something the-almighty-one demands none of.

It's all part of the BDC entertainment package. 

I give it a zero star rating. Go Panthers !

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the Bruins ..........................and PC saying he has no immediate plans to trade him ?

http://nesn.com/2014/06/peter-chiarelli-brad-marchand-trade-rumors-untrue-no-plans-to-move-forward/

oops........you better get back to your source ( the dartboard ) on that one.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Marleau = autocup!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Botched this, let me try again.

Marleau's career playoff PPG is 0.701, down 6.2% from his regular season PPG of .747

Marchand's career playoff PPG is 0.59, down 4.7% from his career regular season PPG of .620

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

And take out that one great run...four post seasons ago...and he's at .49 PPG.

I appreciate you using real stats and not giving a ton of BS, but no matter how you present it, five goals in 41 playoffs games is simply unacceptable.

Not sure why you would pull Marchand's best year out when comparing career numbers (which I messed up, posted a correction).

Marleau's playoff game sample is much larger than Marchand, but removing the impact of his best year (2005-06) drops him to .654.

Marleau was also pointless in 2011-12, 0-0-0 in 5 games.  This was with 20:21 AVG TOI and 3:31 PP TOI

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

6.7M for three years, pass.

You would not be able to move this contract if his stats went in the dumper or he started getting injured.

If PC is going to trade for a right handed shot, I want someone younger.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Are you referring to the Bruins ..........................and PC saying he has no immediate plans to trade him ?

http://nesn.com/2014/06/peter-chiarelli-brad-marchand-trade-rumors-untrue-no-plans-to-move-forward/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2014/06/peter-chiarelli-brad-marchand-trade-rumors-untrue-no-plans-to-move-forward/

oops........you better get back to your source ( the dartboard ) on that one.

[object HTMLDivElement]

all PC said is he has no plans to trade the little ball of hate....

although i believe what PC said is true, the unexpected sometimes occurs....

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Arguing statistics, by subtracting data is nuts.  A 40 or 50 game sample is also idiocy, when there's a 400 game sample right beside it.  Everyone is "streaky' when it comes to scoring, and both players are very capable of scoring 5 goals in their next 2 playoff games.  If one does, and the other doesn't, the percentages change a ridiculous amount.  Marleau makes big money.  He's soft.  Marchand has his warts, but he's an incredible bargain right now, and that's the single, biggest factor in a cap league.  Marchand had his chances this year..they just didn't go in.  I don't recall many other Bruins having many chances.

And this "act getting tired"?.  What are people smoking when they make this assessment?  Does anyone truly believe the officials are so stupid, they don't realize Gallagher, and the entire Canadiens organization were flopping around like beached gaspereaux?

Of course they do.  Montreal takes more penalties than Boston.  A lot more on average.

Marchand was victim to a couple grossly stupid calls, plain and simple, and it seems like many here want to make that "his' fault, instead of pointing the finger squarely where it should be pointed.  Lots of players have a "rep", and there are players on the Canadiens have have an equal, or worse rep.  Assuming the Bruins can't expect decent officiating as long as he's on the team is about as ridiculous as it gets.

Yes, Marleau may be more skillful(so is Seguin).  Since when does that guarantee more wins?  Based on his pp numbers, and the sharks style, it seems reasonable to assume PM would accumulate less points in Boston.

Even if the salaries were identical(which currently is an insurmountable problem), a Marleau for Marchand trade, straight up, would have great potential for failure.  Currently, the Bruins know they have one of the best 2nd lines in hockey.  What they don't know exactly, what no one knows is exactly, is "why".  Louis Ericsson is "better" than Reilly Smith.  Everyone on the planet agreed with that 8 months ago.  He's not playing on that line though, is he?

The Bruins have little money to throw around.  I'm not against trading Marchand, or anyone else.  I'm just totally against trading someone... because some dope thinks he should be traded.

Trading for an upgrade over Marchand, for the same, or less money, is going to be virtually impossible.  Assuming that player will make the line better, is an even bigger gamble.

There are only a couple 4.5 mil bargains out there.  Marchand is one of them.  So is Max Paccioretti.  It would take a lot to make Montreal look at moving him, and it should.  Same for the others on that very exclusive list.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not sure why you would pull Marchand's best year out when comparing career numbers (which I messed up, posted a correction).

Marleau's playoff game sample is much larger than Marchand, but removing the impact of his best year (2005-06) drops him to .654.

Marleau was also pointless in 2011-12, 0-0-0 in 5 games.  This was with 20:21 AVG TOI and 3:31 PP TOI

I took out his big year because it was four years ago.  The last three playoff seasons have been terrible.

• Sections
    Shortcuts