Marchand for Marleau ?? w the f

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Marchand for Marleau ?? w the f

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

I see...Marleau is a 78.15 rating, while Marchand is only a 72.55.

The TSN.ca Rating is an efficiency rating based on per-game statistics including goals and assists -- weighted for strength (ie. power play, even, shorthanded) -- Corsi, adjusted for zone starts, quality of competition and quality of teammates, hits, blocked shots, penalty differential and faceoffs. Generally, a replacement-level player is around a 60, a top six forward and top four defenceman will be around 70, stars will be over 80 and MVP candidates could go over 90. Sidney Crosby finished at the top of the 2013-2014 regular season ratings at 87.12.

See....he is better at the present time lol

fyi that 78.15 is better than every bruin player not named Bergeron....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

FWIW, the last time Marleau was a plus player in the playoffs (on some considered very good Sharks teams) was 2005-06. That is 9 seasons ago. He is a career minus 11.  In his 4 seasons Marchand is a plus 19 (while not getting PP duty and working almost every PK). I know a lot of that is CJ's system.

The argument is that Marleau would make the B's  better in the playoffs. There no evidence of that. At the cost to pay him, I say the B's are better off with Marchand and putting the savings towards Krejci's or Yeti's next contract. Let me clarify that...Marchahnd not Marchaand.

If they're going to get rid of Marchand, make a bigger package and bring in someone in their prime. Not a guy well through the back 9 who was a key non-contributor to one of the great choke jobs ever with no history of playoff success...and a huge salary.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they're going to get rid of Marchand, make a bigger package and bring in someone in their prime. Not a guy well through the back 9 who was a key non-contributor to one of the great choke jobs ever with no history of playoff success.

[/QUOTE]

My take exactly,if the B's are hell bent on trading Marchand,go big or go home,Marleau has contributed to winning nothing.Plus he's from Aneroid.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why is Marchand not a first line talent on a good team?  He is one of the very best puck possession players in the league, one of the best shooters in the league.  He lead all LW's in +/- in the league.  Brad Marchand is a first line talent in my eyes.  He may not have the points as some other LW's, but I put his all around game up there with there with any left wing in the game.

[/QUOTE]

You know who's awesome at puck possession?  Scott Gomez.  Wicked stupid stat.

It's not hard to be a +/- leader when the line's center is one of the best defensive forwards in the game.

Possession and good +/- doesn't make a player a #1 guy.  Being able to score against #1 defense pairings does.  Marchand was the #21 scorer for left wings.

Second line player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why is Marchand not a first line talent on a good team?  He is one of the very best puck possession players in the league, one of the best shooters in the league.  He lead all LW's in +/- in the league.  Brad Marchand is a first line talent in my eyes.  He may not have the points as some other LW's, but I put his all around game up there with there with any left wing in the game.

[/QUOTE]

It's not hard to be a +/- leader when the line's center is one of the best defensive forwards in the game.

Possession and good +/- doesn't make a player a #1 guy.  Being able to score against #1 defense pairings does.  Marchand was the #21 scorer for left wings.

Second line player.

[/QUOTE]

It is fascinating to watch you work.  Marchand is the 21st scoring LW?  You're right, but why are we talking about points now instead of goals?  Is it because he is 15th in goals? 

If you normalize for PPG & PP Pts, Marchand is 4th in goals and 5th in points.  Only 3 LW's in the top-30 played fewer minutes than 17 minutes per game; Marchand, Saad & Jussi Jokinen.  Marchand and Jokinen were < 16 minutes of TOI.

Marleau is 6th in goals and 8th in points.

Marchand is one of the most productive even strength/Short-handed LW's in the league.  That's how the Bruins win games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Second line player.

[/QUOTE]

Bergeron=Autocup  I believe that you were one of the posters on another thread when we were discussing Soderberg saying that he couldn't do it on his own and that Eriksson had something to do with the one-eyed swede's sudden rise.  Now Bergeron does it all by himself?  If we are basing everything on points, Tyler Seguin is the 4th best center in the league, way ahead of Krejci & Bergeron at 11 & 19 respectively.  How do you like that stat?  You want him to replace either of those 2 guys?  I guess you also missed the part where I stated all-around.  I want you to show me a stat that shows ice time vs "#1" defensive pairs.  Not sure if it exists, not sure if it matters.  What about when the #1 defensive pair is on the ice with the worst checking line, whichever numbered line that may be with each team.  What about the fact that Bergeron, Marchand and fill in the blank on the right side for the last 4 years have matched up the majority of the time vs the other teams "top" line?  How does that factor into play?  Please tell us why puck possession is Wicked Stupid, other than throwing out Scott Gomez's name.  As it appears to me that the league is putting more and more focus on puck possession than ever before.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Choosing to ignore one of the best playoff performances in the history of the Boston Bruins in my opinion, is cherry picking.  Choosing to ignore the fact that Marchand went into last season's playoffs shortly after receiving a concussion is another.  Choosing to ignore other stats that have been brought up by other posters with links to articles in the herald and the like, is another example of cherry picking.  Regurgitating the same argument 5 in 41, 5 in 41, is not good debate.  I am not against the Bruins exploring all options & offers.  I haven't seen an offer suggested yet that makes sense.  I do think that many on here have an axe to grind with the nose faced killa.  Many have said that they don't like his antics, etc...!   So yes, I do think that them not liking him plays a huge role in their wanting to trade him.  It's ok to not like or even hate a player on the team you root for.  Just own up to it.  I don't care for Ericksson's game, as I have said previously, I would much rather see him go than to see Brad get shipped out of town.  I like Brad's rat game and I believe that CJ  & the rest of management should chill out with trying to tame him.  It was perfectly fine when he was punching Sedin in the grill and putting up big time numbers.  If the team is going to continue to muzzle him, they might as well cut him loose. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks -- funny how the same 2-4 guys will go back and forth all day without saying anything new and then ignore original thoughts and posts from others as if they never happened

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is Patrice Bergeron a first line player?  Many have said for years that the Bruins have a 1 and 1A first line.  Not sure that first line argument really works.  I believe Crowls point is that anyone can cherry pick stats and arrange them to fit their argument.  

[/QUOTE]

Sure, most of us here probably think PB is a first-line quality center. Because Marchand plays on his wing does not make Marchand a first-line player. Not on this team. Or did I misinterpret your point?

[/QUOTE]

What makes a first line player on this team?  My point was that Bergeron played on the first line as a wing for team canada, yet he doesn't play on the "first" line for the Bruins.  Lucic plays on the "first" line because of his chemistry with Krejci, Marchand plays on the second line because of his chemistry with Bergeron.  I don't think that Lucic is any better or worse than Marchand, just different games.  The Kings switched lines constantly during the playoffs and so do a lot of other teams.  CJ just happens to be the most conservative in this regard.  Thus my point is that the lines are blurred, when evaluating talent.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, a players talent/skill level and value may not correspond with his line assignment depending on his team, coach, etc. No matter how you slice it, Marchand is not first-line talent on a good team. Maybe in Florida or some other bottom dwelling team.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    LW's as good or better than Marchand.

Patrick Sharp

Jamie Benn

Zach Parise

Jeff Skinner

Chris Kunitz

Taylor Hall

Gabe Landeskog

Ryan O'Reilly

Evander Kane

Max Pacioretty

JVR

Gus Nyquist

Marleau

There's a lot of guys on that list that PC would trade Marchand for assuming the cap didn't get in the way. Maybe not all of them, but most of them.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Key part of your comment "as good" or better.  How many of those guys are available?  How many of those guys fit the Bruins needs?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I

No but he was earlier in his career on some very bad Bruins teams before Chiarelli.

Bergeron could not take over the current Bruins as the #1 center.

Krejci is better offensively and not that far behind Patrice defensively.

[/QUOTE]

They eye test, and past performance refutes this.  The Krecji line had a good year this year and did not give up much defensively.  I seem to remember probably two years ago when the Krecji Line was all in the negative while the Bergeron line was leading the league in +/- --- and that was with that defensive liability Seguin (I'm kidding, that's just what people on this board say).  Bergeron is ALWAYS a plus player and somebody you notice making great defensive plays all over the ice.  Krecji had a great year last year, but the long term trend does not support your point, and I can't think of even a shift when I have marveled at Krecji's defense like you can't help but do with Bergeron

So in my humble opinion, no, Krecji is not in the same class as Bergeron defensively and his point production barely puts him above Bergy on offence despite his PP time, linemates, and matchups

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[/QUOTE]

What makes a first line player on this team?  My point was that Bergeron played on the first line as a wing for team canada, yet he doesn't play on the "first" line for the Bruins.  Lucic plays on the "first" line because of his chemistry with Krejci, Marchand plays on the second line because of his chemistry with Bergeron.  I don't think that Lucic is any better or worse than Marchand, just different games.  The Kings switched lines constantly during the playoffs and so do a lot of other teams.  CJ just happens to be the most conservative in this regard.  Thus my point is that the lines are blurred, when evaluating talent.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, a players talent/skill level and value may not correspond with his line assignment depending on his team, coach, etc. No matter how you slice it, Marchand is not first-line talent on a good team. Maybe in Florida or some other bottom dwelling team.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Patrick Sharp

Jamie Benn

Zach Parise

Jeff Skinner

Chris Kunitz

Taylor Hall

Gabe Landeskog

Ryan O'Reilly

Evander Kane

Max Pacioretty

JVR

Gus Nyquist

Marleau

There's a lot of guys on that list that PC would trade Marchand for assuming the cap didn't get in the way. Maybe not all of them, but most of them.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Key part of your comment "as good" or better.  How many of those guys are available?  How many of those guys fit the Bruins needs?  

[/QUOTE]

I was simply responding to your assertion that Marchand is a 1st line LW. I was not talking about acquiring any of those names. We disagree. No big deal. Don't be going all Chowdah on me now :P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

The argument is that Marleau would make the B's  better in the playoffs. There no evidence of that.

[/QUOTE]

Actually yes there is:

"since 2002, he's (Marleau) scored 55 goals in 125 postseason games, which leaves him with the second-best goals-per-game among players to play at least 100 playoff games in that time."

Could have used some of that scoring against the Habs rather than dumb penalties, no?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The argument is that Marleau would make the B's  better in the playoffs. There no evidence of that.

[/QUOTE]

Actually yes there is:

"since 2002, he's (Marleau) scored 55 goals in 125 postseason games, which leaves him with the second-best goals-per-game among players to play at least 100 playoff games in that time."

Could have used some of that scoring against the Habs rather than dumb penalties, no?

[/QUOTE]

He was 23 in 2002.  He's 35 now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MeanE's comment:[QUOTE]

In the last 5 playoff series:

Krejci 27gp 4-13-17

Marchand 27gp 4-11-15

Maybe we should be looking at Jumbo Joe for Krejci?  Same age, salary and term as Marleau. [/QUOTE]

When Marchand becomes a first line player and leads the LEAGUE in playoff points two out of three years as Krecji did, then perhaps we can entertain this notion.[/QUOTE]

Is Patrice Bergeron a first line player? [/QUOTE]

No but he was earlier in his career on some very bad Bruins teams before Chiarelli.

Krejci is better offensively and not that far behind Patrice defensively.

[/QUOTE]

If Krejci is better offensively, why is it that Bergeron has matched his season high of 73 points. They've both scored at .75 PPG for their careers. The difference being that Bergeron is given less opportunities to score. I say that because Bergeron starts so many shifts in the D zone whereas DK starts just as many in the offensive zone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE]

I see...Marleau is a 78.15 rating, while Marchand is only a 72.55.

The TSN.ca Rating is an efficiency rating based on per-game statistics including goals and assists -- weighted for strength (ie. power play, even, shorthanded) -- Corsi, adjusted for zone starts, quality of competition and quality of teammates, hits, blocked shots, penalty differential and faceoffs. Generally, a replacement-level player is around a 60, a top six forward and top four defenceman will be around 70, stars will be over 80 and MVP candidates could go over 90. Sidney Crosby finished at the top of the 2013-2014 regular season ratings at 87.12. [/QUOTE]

See....he is better at the present time lol

fyi that 78.15 is better than every bruin player not named Bergeron....[/QUOTE]

Guaranteed as much money as Marleau, is his age is a lot. Marchand is movable if he falters.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Actually yes there is:

[/QUOTE]

And yet he still has the second best goals per game total in the playoffs for the last 12 years despite being in his "golden years."

Next thing you are going to tell me is that Chara is simply "too old" to be a #1 Dman this upcoming season so PC should trade him for some 24-25 year old second pairing youngster with attitude issues because Chara is clearly over the hill and is getting paid too much. Norris nomination be damned...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Patrick Sharp

Jamie Benn

Zach Parise

Jeff Skinner

Chris Kunitz

Taylor Hall

Gabe Landeskog

Ryan O'Reilly

Evander Kane

Max Pacioretty

JVR

Gus Nyquist

Marleau

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

How many of those guys fit the Bruins needs?  

[/QUOTE]

All of them.  These guys fit every teams needs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Actually yes there is:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And yet he still has the second best goals per game total in the playoffs for the last 12 years despite being in his "golden years."

Next thing you are going to tell me is that Chara is simply "too old" to be a #1 Dman this upcoming season so PC should trade him for some 24-25 year old second pairing youngster because Chara is clearly over the hill and is getting paid too much. Norris nomination be damned...

[/QUOTE]

Nexy you'll tell me that PC will sign him to an extension with a NTC immediately following the deal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

With that noted, what makes Marleau that guy?? Not being facetious, I'd honestly like to know. Because I think $2+ mil is quite a bit of wiggle room in the cap era, especially with with Krug and Smith RFA's this year and Krejci and Soderberg UFA's after next season. That money could be helpfull in keeping the inferred "3 year window" open.

I think we all agree that Marchand's antics grow old and he's underperformed in the playoffs 3 straight years, but I'm not a fan of making Patrick Marleau the 3rd highest paid player on the Bruins for what he brings (or in terms of playoff success, doesn't) bring to the table.

[/QUOTE]

Nothing makes Marleau that guy other than the rumor that turned into the Official Discussion of June.

Why does it matter if he's the first, third or 10th highest paid player?  What would you like to pay a guy to be the highest scorer on the team?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Bergeron=Autocup  I believe that you were one of the posters on another thread when we were discussing Soderberg saying that he couldn't do it on his own and that Eriksson had something to do with the one-eyed swede's sudden rise.  Now Bergeron does it all by himself?  If we are basing everything on points, Tyler Seguin is the 4th best center in the league, way ahead of Krejci & Bergeron at 11 & 19 respectively.  How do you like that stat?  You want him to replace either of those 2 guys?  I guess you also missed the part where I stated all-around.  I want you to show me a stat that shows ice time vs "#1" defensive pairs.  Not sure if it exists, not sure if it matters.  What about when the #1 defensive pair is on the ice with the worst checking line, whichever numbered line that may be with each team.  What about the fact that Bergeron, Marchand and fill in the blank on the right side for the last 4 years have matched up the majority of the time vs the other teams "top" line?  How does that factor into play?  Please tell us why puck possession is Wicked Stupid, other than throwing out Scott Gomez's name.  As it appears to me that the league is putting more and more focus on puck possession than ever before.

[/QUOTE]

You're 100% wrong on this.  I said nothing of the sort. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're talking about puck possession.  That's crazy Corsi stuff that was destroyed when Ovechkin returned to scoring goals.  Why do I bring up Gomez in a puck possession conversation?  Cam Charron is a huge proponent of the advanced wicked stupid stats.

Here's everything you need to know about the importance of the puck possession stat:

http://theleafsnation.com/2012/1/26/is-scott-gomez-hockeys-most-underrated-yes

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Just did some simple playoff math

Marleau career 0.70 ppg

Marchand career 0.59 ppg (0 pp goals)

If you take out Marleau's 21 post season power play goals (not even assists) he drops to 0.557

So accounting for power plays goals, you have basically less production, 8 years older, and $2.16m more.

I'm OK if the B's trade Marchand...just not for Patrick Marleau.

Let's not forget that the Sharts have averaged 100 points a year going back to the turn of the century and no Stanley Cup appearances, I don't see how anyone could make a case that this gets the Bruins over the hump.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Patrick Sharp

Jamie Benn

Zach Parise

Jeff Skinner

Chris Kunitz

Taylor Hall

Gabe Landeskog

Ryan O'Reilly

Evander Kane

Max Pacioretty

JVR

Gus Nyquist

Marleau

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

How many of those guys fit the Bruins needs?  

[/QUOTE]

All of them.  These guys fit every teams needs.

[/QUOTE]

Don't cherry pick my post.  :) The sentence before was How many are available? Plus, I don't think that Zach Parise and his $7.5 Million fit this Bruins team, unless you want to trade Big Z for him.  I guess I wasn't clear enough about needs.  Obviously if money was no object and all of these players were available they would fill a need.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

It is fascinating to watch you work.  Marchand is the 21st scoring LW?  You're right, but why are we talking about points now instead of goals?  Is it because he is 15th in goals? 

If you normalize for PPG & PP Pts, Marchand is 4th in goals and 5th in points.  Only 3 LW's in the top-30 played fewer minutes than 17 minutes per game; Marchand, Saad & Jussi Jokinen.  Marchand and Jokinen were < 16 minutes of TOI.

Marleau is 6th in goals and 8th in points.

Marchand is one of the most productive even strength/Short-handed LW's in the league.  That's how the Bruins win games.

[/QUOTE]

I brought up points because it's more valid than using stupid fake stuff like puck possession and the pitiful +/- stat.  I didn't query the report for goals, so that wasn't an intentional omission.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually yes there is:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That doesn't matter, right?  You can't dismiss old stats.  They still count in the discussion.  You know, like when someone has an awesome time as a rookie and then blows for all years after.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:[QUOTE] Is Patrice Bergeron a first line player? [/QUOTE]

Krejci is better offensively and not that far behind Patrice defensively. [/QUOTE]

If Krejci is better offensively, why is it that Bergeron has matched his season high of 73 points. They've both scored at .75 PPG for their careers. The difference being that Bergeron is given less opportunities to score. I say that because Bergeron starts so many shifts in the D zone whereas DK starts just as many in the offensive zone. [/QUOTE]

I just feel that a #1 center has to be more of a player that can carry a team offensively at times. I don't think that Bergeron can do what Krejci does when #46 is on. When the Bruins lost Krejci in 2010 the team fell apart offensively.

I do think Bergeron could be a #1 on many NHL teams but not replace Krejci on this team.

Sections
Shortcuts