Marchand get 5 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Marchand get 5 games

In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games :  Just wish we could have one week of actual hockey talk.  Just one.  Thats the state of the league.  
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    I'll second that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Now the true colors come out.  Will all of the North49 butt buddies finally see this tiger for his stripes?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Will someone who supports this please try to explain the following scenario?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmSiIsz74I

Not a penalty, not a suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKz9B3gq8B8&feature=related

Not a penalty, not a suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52DFiN1rwEc&feature=related

Five minute major, game ejection, 5-game suspension.

You've lost me Shanny...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]I guess the main theme to my last post is that the league is a joke in case anyone missed it...
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

thanks I missed that shupe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Clearly there is joy in the city of Vancouver and in the Canuck dressing room and management offices right now.  As there are already plays of very similar action that have escaped consequence it should be interesting to see how Shanahan is going to be able to differentiate predatory from defensive as he was able to do here. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

5 games...oh well...move on....let's see who the Bruins play in Marchand's place...see how the team plays....and we all know that Vancouver is the least respected team in the NHL and you have to have a little pitty for North 49 having to cheer for As* Holes like the Canuckleheads....Go post your Dirty thoughts on a Vanouver site 49 and don't bother with your not so insightful thoughts of who is a dirty hit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wboi92287. Show wboi92287's posts

[QUOTE]Dirty hit; repeat offender = 5 games. It works for me.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

your mom, my bed=sexy time

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Will someone who supports this please try to explain the following scenario? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmSiIsz74I Not a penalty, not a suspension. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKz9B3gq8B8&feature=related Not a penalty, not a suspension. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52DFiN1rwEc&feature=related Five minute major, game ejection, 5-game suspension. You've lost me Shanny...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Fletch - Glad you provided these examples 'cause this is what I mean by Shannahan identifying predatory vs defensive as he was able to do with Marchand.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : Fletch - Glad you provided these examples 'cause this is exactly what I mean by Shannahan splitting predatory vs defensive. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

Im ok with this as long as hits like the ones above are also graded in the same manner as marchand was.

If not what the #@$#?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : Im ok with this as long as hits like the ones above are also graded in the same manner as marchand was. If not what the #@$#?
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

ILH - Good points all.  Makes me wonder what punishment a player with no previous disciplinary record receives should he do what Marchand did.  Will it be a 5 gamer or less or a just a fine?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : Fletch - Glad you provided these examples 'cause this is what I mean by Shannahan identifying predatory vs defensive as he was able to do with Marchand.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I stole the links from others...

But yeah, he's totally painted himself into a corner in cowering to the demands of the hysterical Vancouver-Montreal lobby.  There is now no way he can possibly be consistent with this.  There is no rule for it.  The logic is:  It looks bad, a Vancouver player appears to be hurt, and people are really upset about it.

It's a real shame that he departed from the clear explanations and adherence to the written rules that he started with.  Now it's just random, Campbell style justice.  Vancouver will love it until one of their guys gets it.  Then the hysterics will begin again.  Shupe's right, it's a joke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : To be fair, I stole the links from others... But yeah, he's totally painted himself into a corner in cowering to the demands of the hysterical Vancouver-Montreal lobby.  There is now no way he can possibly be consistent with this.  There is no rule for it.  The logic is:  It looks bad, a Vancouver player appears to be hurt, and people are really upset about it. It's a real shame that he departed from the clear explanations and adherence to the written rules that he started with.  Now it's just random, Campbell style justice.  Vancouver will love it until one of their guys gets it.  Then the hysterics will begin again.  Shupe's right, it's a joke.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

No problem.  Those examples do show what a slippery slope Shannahan must now walk on. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Moral of the story is Department of Player Safety does not believe six players piling on top of one threatens the safety of the player at the bottom.

5 games is too much. 

Jeez 2 hits to the head last week were not predatory ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games:[QUOTE]Will someone who supports this please try to explain the following scenario? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmSiIsz74I Not a penalty, not a suspension. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKz9B3gq8B8&feature=related Not a penalty, not a suspension. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52DFiN1rwEc&feature=related Five minute major, game ejection, 5-game suspension. You've lost me Shanny...Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Fletch, Shanahan wasn't named Campbell's successor till June of 2011 after the cup and Mike Murphy did the rulings on any games involving the Bruins, Campbell ruled on everything else until his final ousting so Shanahan couldn't have ruled on those unfortunately.

No way would I ever want Colin Campbell back at his old position. I don't agree with the length of the suspension but I don't ever want to go back to old ways of that scum.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]Heh North, a truly objective poster would answer the question (video) of Raymond's hit last year on Marchand posed by Dez above.  Respond, please, otherwise you truly are a TROLL!
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

You can see that Raymond's hit was actually what Marchand was claiming -- a defensive posture.  Raymond had the puck, and Marchand (a guy with a reputation for .. uh.. "crossing the line") was coming at him hard.  In Saturday's case, it was two players going for a puck, and even though Marchand got there first, he chose not to play it, and instead low-bridged Salo, who was not coming at him in an aggressive nature.

To me, that's the difference between the two situations.

Satisfied?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I like what Shanahan has done to this point, but I'm very disappointed. It wasn't clipping. At no point was the knee targeted, at no point did it make contact. This was entirely because Marchand is Marchand. I hope Brad goes out the next game and throws a great hip-check.  Fletch, that Raymond hit you had the link to was absolutely identical to the Marchand hit. I am so disappointed in this ruling.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : your mom, my bed=sexy time
    Posted by wboi92287[/QUOTE]

So mature.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : BRUINS 4 CANUCKS 0 GAME 7 2011 Stanley Cup Finals WORKS FOR ME I bet bruins fans won't take to the streets of our respective towns we live in and start tipping cars, lighting fires, and looting bussinesses
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

Actually it was 3-0 and it still works for me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : Actually it was 3-0 and it still works for me.
    Posted by mattman1447[/QUOTE]

No. It was 4-0

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : Actually it was 3-0 and it still works for me.
    Posted by mattman1447[/QUOTE]

It was 4-0.  Marchand empty netter.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : Keep livin' in the past.  I'm thinking about this season.

You won't even sniff the finals 49...better start dreaming of next season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

You are correct sir...my mistake....Go B's!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I like what Shanahan has done to this point, but I'm very disappointed. It wasn't clipping. At no point was the knee targeted, at no point did it make contact. This was entirely because Marchand is Marchand. I hope Brad goes out the next game and throws a great hip-check.  Fletch, that Raymond hit you had the link to was absolutely identical to the Marchand hit. I am so disappointed in this ruling.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

That was the part I was most disappointed because it simply was not true. He did not hit Salo to the knees or below.  When something this clear is not recognized then we know that the real reason for this ruling is not being mentioned.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : You can see that Raymond's hit was actually what Marchand was claiming -- a defensive posture.  Raymond had the puck, and Marchand (a guy with a reputation for .. uh.. "crossing the line") was coming at him hard.  In Saturday's case, it was two players going for a puck, and even though Marchand got there first, he chose not to play it, and instead low-bridged Salo, who was not coming at him in an aggressive nature. To me, that's the difference between the two situations. Satisfied?

Do you think it's different than the Ballard hit on McGinn?  I am actually curious what you think, believe it or not.  I know you're happy with the suspension, because you hate Marchand and the Bruins, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the correct ruling:

do you think it's a penalty?

do you think it is a suspendable offense?

do you think it is reasonable that the Ballard, Hamhuis, and Raymond lowbridges were not even penalties, but the Marchand one was a 5-minute major, game ejection, and a 5-game suspension?  Are they really that different?

do you think Lucic should have been ejected?

Just checking to see if you are as reasonable as you claim to be, or just spiteful in wanting any measure of revenge on the Bruins, even if it must come from the league.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Let's be reasonable here.  Boston fans have little cause to complain about the NHL Supplementary Discipline Office, given that both Chara and Lucic got off scott-free, despite league-wide calls for suspensions.

Boston fans were pleased as punch about an unprecedented 4-games-during-the-Stanley-Cup-Final suspension for Rome, and now are howling with derision over a suspension which most league commentators (outside of the partisan Boston media) agree is justified?

I know that you guys love the way Marchand plays, and while he plays with admirable talent and tenacity, he's also known around the league for his elbows to the head, slew-foots, nasty overall play, and ... yes... he's been known to take the occasional dive, as well.  If you're gonna have a guy like that on your team, you've got to accept the consequences for his reckless play.