Marchand get 5 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Marchand get 5 games

In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games:
    Let's be reasonable here.  Boston fans have little cause to complain about the NHL Supplementary Discipline Office, given that both Chara and Lucic got off scott-free, despite league-wide calls for suspensions. Boston fans were pleased as punch about an unprecedented 4-games-during-the-Stanley-Cup-Final suspension for Rome, and now are howling with derision over a suspension which most league commentators (outside of the partisan Boston media) agree is justified? I know that you guys love the way Marchand plays, and while he plays with admirable talent and tenacity, he's also known around the league for his elbows to the head, slew-foots, nasty overall play, and ... yes... he's been known to take the occasional dive, as well.  If you're gonna have a guy like that on your team, you've got to accept the consequences for his reckless play.
    Posted by 49-North

I don't love the way Marchand plays.  I thought it was a bad hit.  I'm still not sure if it is a penalty based on the rules and precedent, but I thought it was bad.  5 games and a 5-minute major is absurd though.

The league is not supposed to rule and suspened based on "league-wide calls" for it -- there are supposed to rule on what it says in the rulebook.  Marchand, Lucic, Chara scenarios are all very difficult to find what rule was broken.  The Rome hit was very easy.  That's why I asked you the questions above.  I know that, emotionally, you think Boston deserves it.  I'm asking if you can tell me what rules were broken to justify the calls from the last game.  Go for it...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Let's be reasonable here.  Boston fans have little cause to complain about the NHL Supplementary Discipline Office, given that both Chara and Lucic got off scott-free, despite league-wide calls for suspensions. Boston fans were pleased as punch about an unprecedented 4-games-during-the-Stanley-Cup-Final suspension for Rome, and now are howling with derision over a suspension which most league commentators (outside of the partisan Boston media) agree is justified? I know that you guys love the way Marchand plays, and while he plays with admirable talent and tenacity, he's also known around the league for his elbows to the head, slew-foots, nasty overall play, and ... yes... he's been known to take the occasional dive, as well.  If you're gonna have a guy like that on your team, you've got to accept the consequences for his reckless play.
    Posted by 49-North

For all the heat you are taking this is a solid post. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : I don't love the way Marchand plays.  I thought it was a bad hit.  I'm still not sure if it is a penalty based on the rules and precedent, but I thought it was bad.  5 games and a 5-minute major is absurd though. The league is not supposed to rule and suspened based on "league-wide calls" for it -- there are supposed to rule on what it says in the rulebook.  Marchand, Lucic, Chara scenarios are all very difficult to find what rule was broken.  The Rome hit was very easy.  That's why I asked you the questions above.  I know that, emotionally, you think Boston deserves it.  I'm asking if you can tell me what rules were broken to justify the calls from the last game.  Go for it...
    Posted by Fletcher1

Legit request. I'm also curious as to what you view on this is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

The Canucks can bask in their win on Saturday but they have a few players who can look at themselves in the mirror and be proud of their manhood. They lack the substance that makes any team honorable. A bunch of guys who act tough and run behind the ref. Not cool at all!!! 49-north if you can stay loyal to that kind of team then you should love the Habs! The low hit by Raymond was EXACTLY the same as Marchand's hit on Salo. You can disagree but if you do then I can see what's real.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Personally, I thought this was worse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06psuTFVFD4

No suspension.  Probably because it WAS the Finals.  Same thing for Raymond.  And that's why I don't cry over it.

I thought he'd get a game or two for the Salo hit because he has "prior record". But, five games did seem a bit excessive.  It's Shanny obviously sending a message to Marchand.  If he pulls something like this again, Shanahan will hit him hard.....and that will be a BIG loss for the B's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I feel this bares repeating...

Consistency. Is that too much to ask?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

that show how much influence the Canucks have on the NHL ....total garbage ...should have been no suspension ...he got a 5 minutes that cost us the game

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Posted by 49-North

Fletcher, did you notice:

-he spent this entire monolog basically ignoring the very pointed questions you asked him, much like the way he ignores all the inconvenient Canuck questions throughout these threads

-like clockwork, he manages to squeak in his complete BS about poor, poor victim Aaron Rome. I could set my watch to this garbage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Let's be reasonable here.  Boston fans have little cause to complain about the NHL Supplementary Discipline Office, given that both Chara and Lucic got off scott-free, despite league-wide calls for suspensions. Boston fans were pleased as punch about an unprecedented 4-games-during-the-Stanley-Cup-Final suspension for Rome, and now are howling with derision over a suspension which most league commentators (outside of the partisan Boston media) agree is justified?I know that you guys love the way Marchand plays, and while he plays with admirable talent and tenacity, he's also known around the league for his elbows to the head, slew-foots, nasty overall play, and ... yes... he's been known to take the occasional dive, as well.  If you're gonna have a guy like that on your team, you've got to accept the consequences for his reckless play.
    Posted by 49-North

PLEASE QUIT MAKING THINGS UP, AND PORTRAYING THEM AS FACTUAL.
       As far as Marchand goes, I believe the 5 games is a direct result of the NHL having no clear-cut guidelines for handling suspensions.
    I was expecting 2, but am not shocked at the 5, because of what I said above.
    I also think it might benefit Marchand, in the long run.
    The fact that you have never admitted that a Canuck player has ever done anything that deserved a suspension, and that you were "proud" of the way they performed on Saturday, leaves you with zero credibility, in my mind.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : So mature.
    Posted by 49-North

You're right. You should not have to put up with things like that. If I were you, I would leave this site, and never come back.
    Really...Leave, now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Good point above, about stating absolute lies like "league-wide calls for suspensions."

Apparently in Canuckville, "league-wide" is defined as:

Vancouver management
    Vancouver players
    people in Vancouver-colored dresses
    people rioting in Vancouver
    Anyone within 20 miles of Montreal
    Joe Thornton
    Ryan Miller

What did the "league-wide" population say when that precious organization assassinated Steve Moore?

Oh, thats right, it was a "legal hit" like Rome's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Good point above, about stating absolute lies like "league-wide calls for suspensions." Apparently in Canuckville, "league-wide" is defined as: Vancouver management Vancouver players people in Vancouver-colored dresses people rioting in Vancouver Anyone within 20 miles of Montreal Joe Thornton Ryan Miller What did the "league-wide" population say when that precious organization assassinated Steve Moore? Oh, thats right, it was a "legal hit" like Rome's.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

I'm not saying that Canucks never do anything on the wrong side of the NHL rulebook.  I never supported Bertuzzi's attack on Moore, though I do understand why he did it.  I wished the Rome-Horton hit hadn't happened -- the series would have been better with both of them in it.

I do not agree that the Raymond-Marchand hit from last June was "exactly the same" as the Marchand-Salo hit. In the first case, Raymond had the puck, and Marchand was aggressively moving in for a hit -- Raymond's move was what Marchand pleaded in his case -- self-defense.  You're not going to support my case on this, and I accept that.

I'm sure you guys understand that I'm a Canucks fan.  I will support my team. My view of things is from the point of view of the green and blue, and yours is from the POV of the black and gold.  There's no way we're going to agree on contentious issues like the Marchand-Salo hit, or the sniping between management.  The only thing we can agree on, I think, is that I wish the NHLPA would have approved the realignment proposal, because we'd have at least one more regular season game between our two teams.  No question that it was fun to watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : Fletcher, did you notice: -he spent this entire monolog basically ignoring the very pointed questions you asked him, much like the way he ignores all the inconvenient Canuck questions throughout these threads -like clockwork, he manages to squeak in his complete BS about poor, poor victim Aaron Rome. I could set my watch to this garbage.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

One thing, though.  I've stated several times, that you can't take the Marchand low-bridge in isolation -- you have to look at the play from the previous 30 seconds, and put Marchand's actions in context.  I haven't heard one single rebuttal about that.  Probably because it's clear that it clearly demonstrates "Marchand being Marchand", and setting the stage for the bad hit.  That's exactly what Shanny is referring to, as he clearly refers to the hit as "predatory".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : I'm not saying that Canucks never do anything on the wrong side of the NHL rulebook.  I never supported Bertuzzi's attack on Moore, though I do understand why he did it.  I wished the Rome-Horton hit hadn't happened -- the series would have been better with both of them in it. 

That's the best you can do? You cannot even bring yourself to say that, a brutal, blind-sided attack was wrong. Saying, you don't "support" the attack, really means nothing, but you had to soften it further, by saying you "understand why he did it".
    You sir, are a complete joke.
    You still haven't said that Rome did anything wrong. Wishing that it hadn't happened, means nothing.
    Don't come here and preach to us, when you cannot admit to the wrong-doings of your beloved Canucks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairshake. Show fairshake's posts

All I know is Marc Savard has his career ended by  the scum of the Earth on the Penguins and nothing, nothing happened. Now you have the opposite, the NHL hammering guys for "clipping." Fine, here's a message to the Canucks: Now you got the B's mad. Now it's personal. 
    Posted by dannycater

LOL now the Bs are mad! haven't they been mad since ro.e's hit last June?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I am quite capable of being unbiased when it comes to these things. I was fine with Lucic and Chara not being suspended because that was the right call.  A collision with a goalie when you both race for a puck in the middle of the ice is not a suspendable offence. Lucic didn't go out of his way to hit Miller, he simply didn't get out of Miller's way.  Miller didn't need to run into Lucic, either. He could have backed down.  With Chara, there is no rule against guiding someone into a turnbuckle.  Much like big hip checks that send players flying, hits sending players into turnbuckles are often part of highlight reels, including in Montreal. No one has ever said that players hitting oponents in this way should be suspended until the foolish Montreal media went crazy and someone called 911.  There weren't calls from the entire league to suspend those players, there were calls from people who hate the Bruins, but that's it. I saw Leafs' players commending Lucic for not backing down.

I can say when a Boston player should be suspended.  Marchand elbowed a player in the head last year = suspension deserved.  Paille deserved his head-shot ban, even though I don't think it was malicious. The league is cracking down on head shots, and good on them for doing so. This hit was not a bad one. It is absolutely identical to Raymond's hit last year, right down to Marchand turning last year much like Salo did this time. Raymond even was down on one knee, which is getting really low. I don't have a problem with either hit.  Even if Shanahan had said he was suspending Marchand because the hit was too aggressive for a loose puck battle, if it was a 1 or 2 game suspension i could somewhat accept it based on Marchand's history.  But a 5-game for clipping when video clearly and definitively shows no contact with Salo's knee happened is terrible. The point of impact was Salo's butt. It is simply incorrect and unjust and there is no argument/evidence that anyone anywhere had made to say otherwise. Some just say it was a 'bad hit' or it was clipping, but no one has provided a single image of Marchand hitting Salo's knee because such an image doesn't exist.  There is also no example of a player getting suspended for a similar offence because it has never happened.

I will agree that this is a spectacular rivalry and provides some of the most high-adrenaline, intense hockey you can watch. I don't know if we want more games during the year though, we may have no players left on either side due to injury/suspension at the rate they are going.

In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : I'm not saying that Canucks never do anything on the wrong side of the NHL rulebook.  I never supported Bertuzzi's attack on Moore, though I do understand why he did it.  I wished the Rome-Horton hit hadn't happened -- the series would have been better with both of them in it. I do not agree that the Raymond-Marchand hit from last June was "exactly the same" as the Marchand-Salo hit. In the first case, Raymond had the puck, and Marchand was aggressively moving in for a hit -- Raymond's move was what Marchand pleaded in his case -- self-defense.  You're not going to support my case on this, and I accept that. I'm sure you guys understand that I'm a Canucks fan.  I will support my team. My view of things is from the point of view of the green and blue, and yours is from the POV of the black and gold.  There's no way we're going to agree on contentious issues like the Marchand-Salo hit, or the sniping between management.  The only thing we can agree on, I think, is that I wish the NHLPA would have approved the realignment proposal, because we'd have at least one more regular season game between our two teams.  No question that it was fun to watch.
    Posted by 49-North

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

OatesCam, spot on.  You saved me time in writing.  North, your objectivity would be apreciated.  Anaylze the Canucks play honestly, "bites" included, and the respect meter will be positive on this board.  Please read posters like LRH or Kennedy97 for objective commentary by posters who support other teams.  Otherwise I am not satisfied with your biased answers.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Whats funny is I have been reading and listening to a lot of sports shows and they are saying Boston does get away with a lot.  I really am not sure what they are basing this on.
    There are tow incidents that stick out to me, maybe three.
    Chara vs MP
    Lucic vs Miller
    And possibly Ference vs Halpren.

Of those the only one that I thought should have been a suspension was Ference but there really wasn't enough to suspend similar to Steckel on Crosby. 
    I often claim many as having Bruins Homer glasses but thats more in line of poor officiating etc etc and not so much league wide distain against this club and getting away with suspensions. 

Are we all that blind that even I am wearing homer-sized glasses? 
    I didnt think Marchand deserved a suspension.  I don't.  I didn't think Raymond did, I didn't think Ballard did, I didn't think Hamhuis did.  Is Marchand supposed to stand in there and take this hit?  What in the rules says a player must stand in and take a hit?  I see lots of players turning numbers to the boards to avoid a collision. 

Anyway, I believe that setting an example in this case is very bad.  There have been way worse head shots that are simply getting 1-2 games.  Salo fell on his gazoo sized head.  He didnt get elbowed.  His head wasnt targeted. Yes it was a sly move for sure.  I really don't think its that dirty though.  I have seen players duck under checks lots.  Crosby along the boards all the time...

AV saying Marchand is gonna get it someday.  Too bad his gutless crew didnt do anything about it after Gazoo Twin got speed bagged or on Saturday.  Guess they will have to wait for a team with grapes like the Habs play them. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : One thing, though.  I've stated several times, that you can't take the Marchand low-bridge in isolation -- you have to look at the play from the previous 30 seconds, and put Marchand's actions in context.  I haven't heard one single rebuttal about that.  Probably because it's clear that it clearly demonstrates "Marchand being Marchand", and setting the stage for the bad hit.  That's exactly what Shanny is referring to, as he clearly refers to the hit as "predatory".
    Posted by 49-North
     i blame canada's media for that league-wide bruins hate. had chara ran a la king into the stancion(happens a dozen times a year w/ ZERO penalty or suspension, heck they changed the arenas, because THAT was the real problem), nobody would have even heard of the incident. it happens in montreal, to a canadien, and they call 911, it floods the tv airwaves for weeks- THE BRUINS ARE DIRTY. that started this whole fracus. now every time there's a bruin involved in a borderline call, they are automatically percieved in a different way. let's not start with lucic and miller. when the acting president of the goalies union(marty brodeur) says he has no problem with the hit, miller has to expect the contact coming that far out of the net, it's a non-issue. but no THE BRUINS ARE DIRTY. there is ONE player that continues to push the envelope though, and his name is brad marchand. if one player could possibly be labeled as "dirty", he's the only one that could fit that bill. was THIS hit just like others we've seen that weren't punished, yes. BUT, he's skated on the edge of that line of what's acceptable for every bit of his first two years, and now is being punished for not taking a step back from that line. i think two games would have done it, but salo was concussed (i thought it was a shoulder? but that's another issue altogether), and clearly from shanny's explanation, it was a factor in his decision.  it funny how injury reports(to any part of the body other than the head) are usually vague and take time for diagnosis, unless it's a questionable hit, where there could be suspension. then teams are crying concussion before the guy leaves the ice, hoping to influence the leagues decision. kelly chase said it best, everyone gets diagnosed with concussions these days because the doctors don't want to be liable, and the players have to realize every bump to the head is NOT a concussion. saying the bruins are dirty because marchand is on their team, is the same as saying the penguins are dirty because cooke is on their team. marchand is not quite at cookes level, but, in two years, he's well on his way. who knows, maybe 5 games will reign him in a little. it's too bad, he's a very skilled hockey player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I don't know where the league goes from here.  Everyone who enjoys hockey should be disgusted with this.
    A predatory move.  For heavens sake, for every act of preservation, there has to be a predatory act....which only happens several times per shift.
    This is a classic example of the league, deciding they "want" to suspend, then looking for the ammunition to do so.
    They didn't do a very good job, in fact they made fools of themselves.
    Sure Marchand is gaining quite a reputation, and in my opinion deservedly so, but intelligent people know you don't convict on reputation.
      And yes, anyone who has the skill to maneuver You Tube, can find countless similar examples, and there's never even a minor penalty called !!!
    Intelligent people also don't hide under the old "those examples aren't exactly the same".  Of course they're not...nothing is, however they're "basically" the same.

It seems that everything now is a potential suspension, if anyone appears injured in what used to appear to be a hockey play.  If that's the way the league wants to go, fine, but you can't make up the rules as you go. 

"clipping" has always been a rarely called infraction, and the term has been around for decades.  Generally, it's been the domain of players diving and sliding for a puck and taking the puck posessor out.  Many years a go, it became conventional wisdom that if the defending player played the puck, before wiping out the competitor, it was a non clip.
    I would even put forth the opinion that a "clipping" penalty has virtually never been called on a player, while firmly planted on both feet. I can only recall that penlty being called when a player is sliding on his belly and up-ending the opposing player.

Perhaps the biggest thing here(which amazingly hasn't been discussed), is that Marchand went directly to the league in the off season, looking for guidance, as to the legality of this exact method of doling out misery.  Apparently, he got a different response a few months ago.

This is a classic example of over reaction, and the league is going to find itself getting more and more flack over this kind of knee jerk justice. 

There are 2 logical, reasonable decisions that could have resulted in positive moving forward.
    1.  The league could have suspended BM for a game or 2, and because that's so common these days, they wouldn't have had such a glaring light shone upon themselves, in what is an obvious gray area.
    2.  When initiating new perimetres for acceptable play, draw a line in the sand.  Make everyone aware, and move on.

Personally, I hate all the suspension BS.  In my mind, it turns players, managers, fans and the league into a bunch of screaming 9 year old girls, and they're making things worse.
    I understand injuries are front burner right now.  I understand change, both culturally and methodically is necessary, however, those in charge of the game don't have the gonads, or, it appears, the brains, to get things moving in the right direction.
     The equipment issue should have/could have been changed by now.  A league wide rule on stanchions should have come out the morning after the Pacioretti hit.  What is acceptable/unacceptable behavior should be more obvious now, than it's ever been.
    Instead, its murkier than ever, and that's because the league, and the players are more interested in posturing, than meaningful change.  That disgusts me, as a lifelong hockey fan.

This is a perfect example of posturing, lobbying, hysteria, and politics trumping sound practices from a ruling body.  If "resulting injury" is the new reality in doling out major penalties, and suspensions and such.  Say so !!  Let the league examine the injured player.  If the injury is "a dive", make that a bigger suspension.

There are countless ways to clean up the game.  The first step, is making it very clear what is acceptable, and what isn't.  At this point, no one in the game knows
    that, so we have a bigger problem.

Brad Marchand is everything opposing fans say he is.  There was a time when his style dictated his treatment from opposing players.  I don't disagree with what  Vigneault said either, however he's got several BM's on his team too(as does everyone else). In my world, you should have to be awful tough, to be able to play like Marchand does.    What is an infraction of the rules though.....is the same for Marchand, as a career Lady Byng-er.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

That hit did NOT deserve 5 games. I thought he would have gotten 2.   Having said that I think there's a few things in play here that influenced the decision.

1. There is a perception (I don't agree with it, but it's out there), that Bruins get called to the office often and only get fines.  Pretty much every other fan base seems to harp on that e.g. Lucic hit on Miller, Chara hit on Pacorietty (sic) etc.
    I dont' think it's warranted.  It's mostly out of envy since the Bruins can over-match any team in the league physically.  But it brings along it's own 'heat' on Shannahan everytime a Bruin is called for an on-ice incident.

2. Marchand is a dirty player (sorry Bruin fans).  This was a message more then it was a deserved sentence.  Marchand will never get the benefit of the doubt.  If he doesn't change, he will start to become a liability to the Bruins.  Having said that, he is a very skilled hockey player with speed to burn and a good scorer.  Would have loved him on the Leafs.   I think he has it in him to be a good 2-way hockey player without the dirtiness.

3. Vancouver successfully lobbied for the call.  This is what I hate the most about this suspension.  Everybody hates the Canucks (including most Canadian fans that don't support them).  Ironically Marchand did the best 'Vancounver Canuck Duck' impression I've seen outside of the Canucks.

4. Not calling a suspension would have undermined the officials.  Say what you will about those 2 refs, but it wouldn't have looked good if Marchand wasn't suspended. 

Still 2-3 games would have be right and done the trick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheHitDawg. Show TheHitDawg's posts

LoveRealHockey, I totally agree with number 3 there. Ask and you shall receive in my opinion. And that's exactly what they did

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand get 5 games : One thing, though.  I've stated several times, that you can't take the Marchand low-bridge in isolation -- you have to look at the play from the previous 30 seconds, and put Marchand's actions in context.  I haven't heard one single rebuttal about that.  Probably because it's clear that it clearly demonstrates "Marchand being Marchand", and setting the stage for the bad hit.  That's exactly what Shanny is referring to, as he clearly refers to the hit as "predatory".
    Posted by 49-North

That stance can be flipped, though.  Given that Marchand had been giving Salo punches to the head, doesn't that make it more believable that he thought Salo might retaliate and try to take his head off?  I'm not saying that is the case - but that may be why it isn't really discussed.  It can be used to support both sides.  Shanahan even addresses this.  He agreed that the line of thinking could be used, but it was insufficient to warrent the duck.

Anyway, the more I think about Shanahan's video, the more one aspect really bugs me.  Basically, he said that this hit is fine as long as it is in self-defense, but worthy of a multi-game suspension otherwise.  That is a huge gap in discipline based on a judgement call on intent.  As far as I am concerned, this hit either needs to be allowed or declared suspendable anytime it is done intentionally.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the two determining factors were without a doubt... 1) it was marchand, and 2) salo was injured. which leads me to believe, if it was krejci, and there was no injury... there would be nothing made of this. i have to believe this is the case when similiar hits by other players aren't even blinked at.

Sections
Shortcuts